Options

Friends with Awful Tastes

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I am not sure I enjoy any tool at my disposal so much as my vocabulary

not to be a prick but I love being able to converse in a perfectly normal fashion and then turn around and spew the most convoluted, pedantic (but nonetheless intelligible) lawyer-speak

I am not saying that this is a gift that is solely mine, I imagine quite a few other people on this forum have it but it seems to be much rarer in the real world, especially in high school, and I keep it tucked away enough to surprise people when it comes out

Not even your penis?
    You knew someone was going to make this comment, I thought I would get it out of the way for us.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

not to be a prick but I love being able to converse in a perfectly normal fashion and then turn around and spew the most convoluted, pedantic (but nonetheless intelligible) lawyer-speak

I am not saying that this is a gift that is solely mine, I imagine quite a few other people on this forum have it but it seems to be much rarer in the real world, especially in high school, and I keep it tucked away enough to surprise people when it comes out

When I was working in retail, my vocabulary would invariably change depending on who I was speaking to. The more intelligent a customer seemed to be, the more advanced my vocabulary would become. This worked on two levels; first, their perception of my intelligence would increase, as I would not only be using more advanced words but using them properly, and secondly it would put them at ease. The opposite was true to a point, although I could only dumb down my vocabulary so much before my brain would shut down.

As the people I deal with on a daily basis are now significantly more intelligent than they were when I worked retail, it doesn't happen as much anymore, but now my vocabulary varies depending on how tired I am and whether I am attempting to convince someone that I am intelligent enough for them to at least listen to my ideas.

It is a useful gift to have, to be certain, and one that should serve you well no matter what vocation you end up choosing.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    what, did you miss the donger thread?

I enjoy my penis very much

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    what, did you miss the donger thread?

I enjoy my penis very much

But do you enjoy it as much as your vocabulary.

This is very important.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    as a result of this, I have a lot of very specific words stored away that aren't really a part of the common vernacular, so sometimes some weird instance will crop up, I'll refer to it and get a few head-tilts as what I said is either archaic enough that it sounds strange, excessive enough that it sounds douchey, or mispronounced because I've only ever read it

this used to happen to me so much

not so much any more (I just avoid speaking words that I'm not sure I know how to pronounce, and I either ask someone about or look up the pronunciations of unfamiliar words), but damn

that is so embarassing

redhead on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I read as a kid

a lot

once again, not trying to brag but merely to provide context, I read Catcher in the Rye when I was seven and the entirety of LotR when I was 8/9

I probably read more than I did talk to people

as a result of this, I have a lot of very specific words stored away that aren't really a part of the common vernacular, so sometimes some weird instance will crop up, I'll refer to it and get a few head-tilts as what I said is either archaic enough that it sounds strange, excessive enough that it sounds douchey, or mispronounced because I've only ever read it

like in a conversation a couple days ago I said "She really does wear an egregious amount of eyeliner" and got walloped in the back of the head

also I accidentally used "lugubrious" pretty recently, though I can't remember the context

I was the little female version of you then. I read shit-tons as a little kid. Instead of playing I would curl up in a corner, dour little expression set. My family made fun of me, and kids were just boggled. I was a sort of like those creepy little children sans the british accent.

I read LoTR at the same age, and being little, was sorely disappointed there were no musical numbers in the movie.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    redhead wrote: »

this used to happen to me so much

not so much any more (I just avoid speaking words that I'm not sure I know how to pronounce, and I either ask someone about or look up the pronunciations of unfamiliar words), but damn

that is so embarassing

particularly when your family has a near-perfect memory of every single incident.

and then mocks you about them 12 fucking years later.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    yeah, I'm sure there are a lot of us readers on this forum

I've gotten over thinking it makes me super special

redhead on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    It's kind of a blurred line between the two

I have "lugubrious" tattooed on the top of my penis

and "sesquipedalian" on the bottom

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    My penis does not have anything written on it.

When you see my penis there are no words.

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I haven't pronounced a word wrong due to reading it in quite some years now, but for a little while there when I began applying what I read it was a goddamn epidemic

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    vsove wrote: »

When I was working in retail, my vocabulary would invariably change depending on who I was speaking to. The more intelligent a customer seemed to be, the more advanced my vocabulary would become. This worked on two levels; first, their perception of my intelligence would increase, as I would not only be using more advanced words but using them properly, and secondly it would put them at ease. The opposite was true to a point, although I could only dumb down my vocabulary so much before my brain would shut down.

As the people I deal with on a daily basis are now significantly more intelligent than they were when I worked retail, it doesn't happen as much anymore, but now my vocabulary varies depending on how tired I am and whether I am attempting to convince someone that I am intelligent enough for them to at least listen to my ideas.

It is a useful gift to have, to be certain, and one that should serve you well no matter what vocation you end up choosing.

I do this too. Around family and teachers my speech is more elaborate, around people my age it is considerably less, and around my friends it is the oddest juxtaposing of words from the inner catalogs of my vocabulary and pedantic cries of CRAZY AWESOME.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Koshian wrote: »
    I used to think I was really well read

then I realized this was an illusion caused by living in suburban missouri

I tried to read the Silmarillon when I was but a wee lad.

this was a terrible mistake. now it sits on my bookshelf, taunting me with visions of failure.

also Children of Hurin, though that was a recent purchase and apparently quite good, if I ever get around to it.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    This is a little weird, but I actually drink from a can differently from most people because of reading so much

Because I didn't want to stop reading to get some liquid in my mouth, I took to pouring it into my mouth from the side so that my view wouldn't be blocked. Did this so much that I still do it today, so I drink from cans out of the side of my mouth

Also, because I read so much and was (possibly as a result) quieter than other kids, something happened that I am not entirely sure about and it took me longer to get some speech impediments I had corrected. because of this, I have a weird accent today

I would be an entirely different person if I hadn't read so much as a kid

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm pretty sure all of that spent most of our formative years reading are in some way atrophied or abnormal

I'm cool with it

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    yourclothesyourclothes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    the only beef i have with my friends is that they don't listen to the same music as me

http://www.last.fm/user/midgetman23/

laaaaame

yourclothes on
    ssseeee.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    This is a little weird, but I actually drink from a can differently from most people because of reading so much

Because I didn't want to stop reading to get some liquid in my mouth, I took to pouring it into my mouth from the side so that my view wouldn't be blocked. Did this so much that I still do it today, so I drink from cans out of the side of my mouth

Also, because I read so much and was (possibly as a result) quieter than other kids, something happened that I am not entirely sure about and it took me longer to get some speech impediments I had corrected. because of this, I have a weird accent today

I would be an entirely different person if I hadn't read so much as a kid

I also have an odd accent that is a direct result of speech impediments when I was a child. also brought about almost entirely because I was rather quiet and bookish.

it made junior high a little more uncomfortable than it would have otherwise been because kids that age are douchebags. every so often i feel like punching a 13 year-old as revenge for past injustices.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I get a few comments on the accent, but I don't really mind them. They used to bug me but it doesn't make me stand out, it just gets me some weird looks sometimes

such as I can't pronounce words that end in "ly" exactly right, and because I used to not be able to form a correct "r" sound at all, I can now do it but it's somehow roundabout and takes longer

kinda difficult to explain

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Fandyien wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure all of that spent most of our formative years reading are in some way atrophied or abnormal

I'm cool with it

I was terribly shy for the longest time.

Then I merely got selfish and realized that people responded to loudness more than reason so I devoted my energy into my personal satisfaction and that made me far more vocal and charismatic.

And yes, I did that soda can thing too.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Winning a spelling bee in third grade was one of my proudest achievements. Sad, really. I won off "scepter"

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    edited January 2008

I'm cool with it

Then I merely got selfish and realized that people responded to loudness more than reason so I devoted my energy into my personal satisfaction and that made me far more vocal and charismatic.

fools.

i used a straw.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Man, Shankill, you are a summation of my childhood.

I spent years in speech therapy for my fucking "r" sound.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008

I'm cool with it

fools.

i used a straw.

Straws were for special occasions.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    My vocabulary and verbosity increases with my level of alcohol consumption.

You will know if I've been drinking because I will sound more like a pretentious prick.

Unless I've been drinking a lot, in which case I'll sound pretty much back to this level.

Khavall on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    so I know a guy that's the target demographic for shit like Meet the Spartans.
    He didn't like Watchmen, because "there wasn't enough action".
    He didn't finish reading V for Vendetta, because "it's just the same as the movie".
    He plays WoW for some inconceivable amount of hours a day.
    He watches Three Stooges on DVD.

But the thing is, he's really really good at chess. Like really good. So he may be some genius in a thicko disguise.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    lostwords wrote: »
    Winning a spelling bee in third grade was one of my proudest achievements. Sad, really. I won off "scepter"

i would have disqualified you for spelling it improperly. sceptre! for the glory of England!

i think the worst part about Canadian/British spelling is that half the time I don't know if a word is actually spelled differently or if I'm just imagining it. I live in constant fear of fucking up and getting shipped off.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    what's wrong with liking the three stooges

you fucker!!

yourclothes on
    ssseeee.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I haven't thought about it in a while, but my parents must have been fucking worried as shit because I was in speech therapy for maybe seven-eight serious issues

like no "r"s, no "l"s, no "sh"s, none of that

given that their only other child is autistic they must have been incredibly stressed

I know I would have been

also jesus Khavall, that is exactly how I tell if I'm drunk or not

it's like the gates that keep the socially unacceptable pedantic language inside break when I get a few drinks in me

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    He didn't finish reading V for Vendetta, because "it's just the same as the movie".

But the thing is, he's really really good at chess. Like really good. So he may be some genius in a thicko disguise.

I know someone like this too, I went to their chess club once and got beaten by a 5 year old.
    And I liked to think that I was pretty good at chess, considering none of the kids at school could beat me except the one I went with.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

honestly, and this will probably get me lambasted, I found the graphic novel of V for Vendetta to be a little much when I read it. having said that, I did finish it and while I can appreciate the genius at work behind it, it never really grabbed me. I did enjoy the movie quite a bit, mainly because they took all the subtlety of the graphic novel and basically surrounded it with christmas lights and big red blinking arrows that said 'THIS IS THE THEME'. which for me, was what I was expecting from the film so it worked.

having said that there is no excuse for not liking Watchmen, other than lacking a soul.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited January 2008

honestly, and this will probably get me lambasted, I found the graphic novel of V for Vendetta to be a little much when I read it. having said that, I did finish it and while I can appreciate the genius at work behind it, it never really grabbed me. I did enjoy the movie quite a bit, mainly because they took all the subtlety of the graphic novel and basically surrounded it with christmas lights and big red blinking arrows that said 'THIS IS THE THEME'. which for me, was what I was expecting from the film so it worked.

having said that there is no excuse for not liking Watchmen, other than lacking a soul.
    but there wasn't enough action!!

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Sometimes I spell my words in the English manner (color = colour, theater = theatre, etcetera). My teachers dock my points off and I want to slap them silly.

I've gotten my friends to stretch their vocabulary chops, so I can imagine we are an odd sounding bunch. You're hear some old-timey slang, some maddeningly convoluted phrases, and then someone will voice their displeasure with LOL.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    yeah "th" was another bad one for me too

I have no idea at what point in time I got my shit together, either, because I remember being in numerous speech therapy classes over maybe six years and none of them helping at all

also I didn't have to take spelling tests in elementary school because I corrected my fourth-grade teacher on her spelling and she said if I would stop she would make things a lot easier for me (not verbatim, of course)

I was in the spelling bee in fifth or sixth grade, went to county, got disqualified for spelling "anchovy" "anchovie"

oy

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Sometimes I spell my words in the English manner (color = colour, theater = theatre, etcetera). My teachers dock my points off and I want to slap them silly.

I've gotten my friends to stretch their vocabulary chops, so I can imagine we are an odd sounding bunch. You're hear some old-timey slang, some maddeningly convoluted phrases, and then someone will voice their displeasure with LOL.

the worst part of spelling like that is the firefox spellchecker telling you you're always wrong

yourclothes on
    ssseeee.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    actually, theater and theatre are really two separate things

A theater is a building in which plays are performed

"Theatre" is basically used interchangeably with "drama", such as "I am majoring in theatre arts" or "Yeah I am all about the theatre, droogie"

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

the worst part of spelling like that is the firefox spellchecker telling you you're always wrong

Ugh, it reminds me I am nothing but an American.

EDIT: Thanks for the info, Shankill.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

NO SOUL.

seriously, some of the best comic books/graphic novels/whatever are the ones with limited action. Transmetropolitan (I know a lot of people disliked it) was one of my favourite of all time, and it was basically Spider being a batshit crazy fucker.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited January 2008

NO SOUL.

seriously, some of the best comic books/graphic novels/whatever are the ones with limited action. Transmetropolitan (I know a lot of people disliked it) was one of my favourite of all time, and it was basically Spider being a batshit crazy fucker.
    well yeah, the guy's excuse is obviously invalid. He's too fucking simple.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    wait apparently theatre is used to mean both "drama" all over the world and "theater" but only in England

god dammit that would be like if "colour" meant "a spineless amphibian"

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Spider was Hunter S. Thompson in the not too distant future.

ChicoBlue on