Options

West Coast Train Trip 2008

• Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Augustus wrote: »
    I MYSELF WILL BE BRINGING:
    ...an XBox with a Rock Band rig...

My wife will be relieved as hell, I've been trying to talk her into bringing ours and she was ...uncomfotable with the idea.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The terms have been corrected, Commissar. Welcome to the Commission. Here's your Ushanka.

ushanka.jpg

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
  • Options
    DStalefishDStalefish Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I have enough room for my Wii, the necessary cables and hardware, a power strip, one of my 20" monitors that my Wii can plug into, and lots of booze. That's in one suitcase.

I'm bringing it all for my hotel room anyway, so I'm pretty self-contained.

It'd be nice to have more than one Wii set-up, and more than one Rock Band set, just because we have too many people for just one set of each.

Maybe we could set up a couple of polls, or just keep tabs on who would want to play what so we can gauge how many of each system we'll need, and from there you can determine what sort of accessories we need, etc?

Also, like somebody said earlier, maybe instead of requiring badges we should just require nerdy gamer attire? Enforcers won't have their badges with them.

DStalefish on
    [E] 09, 10E, 10P, 11E, 11P, 12E
  • Options
    AugustusAugustus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The problem with "just nerdy attire" is I don't particularly dress nerdy. I wear buttoned-up shirts, and use nerd shirts as undershirts of sorts. A few others are the same way, though most did go nerdy. I don't plan on enforcing any specific rules (like having preprinted badges and such), but I came up with an idea.

At each boarding station, I'll send the bouncer, Tribble, to where passengers are boarding. Passengers going to PAX look at him and say "flash". He replies with "thunder". And now the bouncer knows who's who. He'll be getting on in LA.

I have pre-typed up a new thread first post already, collecting all the information and advice in the thread. When we close this one I'll put a new one up right away.

Augustus on
    I belong to no organized party. I am a Democrat. - Will Rogers
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    So I think I have us a new logo. (Rough beta, just slammed this out, obviously needs some work.)
    paxtrainlv1.jpg

Augustus on
  • Options
    kazuokazuo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I can has be on train?

Emeryville. +1 maybe.

EDIT: Should I bring one of my Dreamcasts? I have a link cable, two copies of Virtual On and two copies of Ferrarri. I only have one set of Twin Sticks, though. :/

kazuo on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Always room for one more.

Does anyone have a projector? I'm thinking of events, and besides the idea we had last year of tournaments this year, I'd like to start a full on movie night with movies picked in advance and a projector to show them with.

EDIT: I just realized Lindy's rolling seven homeboys deep, possibly nine. Time to make some calls. I was being tenative, but I can probably rope in at least two more guys PLUS the two I already have, one of whom was a vet of the first PAX and hasn't made it since due to finances. They wouldn't be part of my retinue of apparatchiks, just more guys. Well, maybe one of them could take shifts with Tribble on the guard duty. 2 confirmed, 2 tenative.

Augustus on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Always room for one more.

Does anyone have a projector? I'm thinking of events, and besides the idea we had last year of tournaments this year, I'd like to start a full on movie night with movies picked in advance and a projector to show them with.

I can uhh... "rent" one from Circuit City. Not a problem at all.

I nominate "oldboy" for movie night, and a Kevin Smith film to be determined later.

kazuo on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    We need at least one action movie. Maybe Shoot-Em-Up. That would make Tribble happy.

Oh, by the way, for your own personal safety, concerning my bouncer? Never use the words "trouble", "with", and "Tribble" in the same sentence. Ever. He will hurt you. Badly. The poor fucker, that's actually his last name. Really, he's a nice guy, but at times he can be scary. And when assigned to guard duty? That's scary time. Yeah, I'm bringing in a real guard.

PS: LAX people - interested in a pre-PAXTrain party?

Augustus on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Dee Kae wrote: »
    And this time, no guy hogging the tv playing super mario. What were you thinking, guy?

+1. that shit happens again and imma start swinging.

hi lube

also we should like make a system for playtime on the tv. so people don't hog it playing fucking super mario world through 3 states.

if not I'll just bring my own 8" LCD and my dreamcast and it's on.

kazuo on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    We need at least one action movie. Maybe Shoot-Em-Up. That would make Tribble happy.

lol tribble.

"Shoot 'em Up" is ng tho. Can't we bring something more awesome? Like COMMANDO? or INVASION AMERICA?

We should totally bring a cheesy 80's action movie.

and yes I have like 50 posts in a row.. I am catching up lol.

kazuo on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I think the choice is obvious.
    red_dawn_dvd__large_.jpg

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    CHOICE MADE.

EDIT: After reviewing old threads and my notes, I found this...
    I have no idea how some fucking lurker like me, who while reading PA for six years and reading these forums for two, only registered proper for the forums a few weeks ago managed to get control of the train trip en totale is beyond me and frankly more than a bit intimidating, but I promise I won't abuse your trust and will do my damndest to ensure next year's train trip is twice as slamming.

I made a promise. With Almighty God as my witness, I fully intend to keep it. The planning starts NOW. As far as I'm concerned, PAXTrain '07 was fucking amateur hour. Ladies and gents, we are going to outdo PAXTrain '07. We are going to blow it out of the fucking water. The train may explode with how awesome it will be. Just you wait.

Augustus on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Was thinking about that. Like a meet-and-greet.

I'm lazy and don't like driving to LA though. :P

DStalefish on
  • Options
    WhaliasWhalias Registered User new member
    edited March 2008
    +1 Me from Van Nuys, CA

This is my first PAX, I am 21, and this train trip seemed way to awesome to pass up. I am on xbox live all the time, hope to meet some cool gamers here!

Whalias on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Well, the way I figure it, LA is the perfect place to co-ordinate the bulk of our supplies and sundries, since for about half the traingoers it will be both the departure position and the last stop. I also figure that people driving into Los Angeles could simply come the night in advance, hit a diner and a bar as a group, and then we could co-ordinate a mass crash-pad, or rent some cheap hotels and simply prep.

Augustus on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    kazuo wrote: »
    I can has be on train?

Emeryville. +1 maybe.

EDIT: Should I bring one of my Dreamcasts? I have a link cable, two copies of Virtual On and two copies of Ferrarri. I only have one set of Twin Sticks, though. :/

OH FOR THE SWEET UNHOLY LOVE OF FRUIT FUCKER YES!

Hint: This screen name is not named after the god of thunder or a whiny Kojima character

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    My Movie vote: Hot Fuzz. Cannot be beat for action/humor.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008

We watched that last year actually.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Well, the way I figure it, LA is the perfect place to co-ordinate the bulk of our supplies and sundries, since for about half the traingoers it will be both the departure position and the last stop. I also figure that people driving into Los Angeles could simply come the night in advance, hit a diner and a bar as a group, and then we could co-ordinate a mass crash-pad, or rent some cheap hotels and simply prep.

That'd be neat. I'm not really against driving up to LA. If we meet somewhere close to the train station, it's only about a 30 minute drive for me, so no need to get me a room.

Actually...if anyone who is driving or flying into LA early needs a place to crash, I have a futon and plenty of floor space. I'm sure other people around here do too.

Just for one or two nights though. No freeloading. Jerks. :P

DStalefish on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    eelektrik wrote: »

We watched that last year actually.

Just means he'll fit right in

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Before I go off to work the Metro Plaza Hotel is the nearest hotel to the station and is alright for a night. Philippes is a nice place to eat and they have really big tables to seat everyone plus they are cheap. Then we can stop at the nearby liquor store to stock up and go back to the hotel for gaming fun and this is all within walking distance from the station.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Eric_ResEric_Res Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Finally made an account, anyways me and my friends are all heading to PAX this year. We will be the ones wearing the headcrab hats. We will be boarding at the Los Angeles Union Station.

We are prepared to bring offerings to the train, what foods would our fellow train goers suggest?

Eric_Res on
    QdEHg.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Non-perishables work best. Crackers a package of cookies or two if it won't melt and make a mess and maybe a 1 lb. bag of Skittles or something.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    More people added!

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I heartily agree. I think I'll be cleaning and bringing at least one fan small enough to bring aboard, and hopefully we can rustle up some more, but it gets hot down in the kiddie car. Temperature is a factor. Bring enough to share! :) I advise bags of chips. If you were planning on getting swag and buying shit at PAX (I always do myself) then pack accordingly and use empty space for on the way up. We will likely need to do on-site resupply on Seattle.

Augustus on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    I can has be on train?

Emeryville. +1 maybe.

Hint: This screen name is not named after the god of thunder or a whiny Kojima character

lol nice. Honestly I haven't played VOn in awhile, but I'm totally a Fei-Yen whore.

You're my new friend! I will bring my DC and VOOT and my twin sticks and a bunch of other games and stuffs for good times.

Do you have Twin Sticks? If so please bring. If not go buy some. Saturn Twin Sticks are fine too; I have adapters.

kazuo on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Oy, TnTrooper, you've got the munitions loadout. How are we for DC Twinsticks?

Augustus on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Seems like only Kazuo is bringing the twinsticks since I didn't get any PMs so far. But I loved Virtual On and I am weak and already ordered a copy of the game plus Twin Sticks for myself.

Edit: Everyone that plans to bring something should check my list at the top of the first page to make sure they are on it and everything is correct if you got an update then send me a PM if you are bringing something and you are not on it at all then send me a PM ASAP so we got this shit down. Augustus if we need anything for tournaments let me now so I can make a mention of what we need. Ctishman a mention and link to the list on the OP would probably help since I am getting a lot of people aren't reading down far enough on the first page to see it.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    I can has be on train?

Emeryville. +1 maybe.

lol nice. Honestly I haven't played VOn in awhile, but I'm totally a Fei-Yen whore.

You're my new friend! I will bring my DC and VOOT and my twin sticks and a bunch of other games and stuffs for good times.

Do you have Twin Sticks? If so please bring. If not go buy some. Saturn Twin Sticks are fine too; I have adapters.

Sadly I never had any sega systems after the Genesis, I only played VOOM in the arcades. A lot.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I'm planning on a Smash Bros. Brawl tourney and a Rock Band tourney. I can guarantee the supplies for Rock Band - one of my future apparatchiks, Mouse, will be bringing the Rock Band setup. If anyone has ideas for more tourneys, that's cool, but I'm planning on scraping together a cool prize for each one, so I gotta pay for that, so don't suggest a million tournament ideas. "Hey! A Bomberman tourney!" Fitting, yeah, we did a lot of that last year. "Hey! A MarioKart tourney!" Eh... we already know who's going to win and it ain't me. "Hey!A Diddy Kong Racing tourney! A Barbie Horse Adventures tourney! A-" This is the point where I have you shot.

Augustus on
  • Options
    Darkblade_1Darkblade_1 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Are you seriously using the US paratrooper's codeword from World War II..

Darkblade_1 on
    iveseenvivstits.gif
    You're drawn to my eccentric Brawl Code: 4596 9143 4529
  • Options
    LindygamerLindygamer Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

See yes I would love a pre-train aka pre- pre-PAX party. Thats why I handed out my gamer groups business cards last year to the So-Cal people. So that when we did this again we could all hang out together before the deep plunge. I would of brought out more but i didnt think there would be many LAish area residents on board. In all honesty we end up getting together for night of rock band, mariokart, COD4 thingy once every other month or so. The only problem I see is that most of us will be working monday and tuesday before the trip and possibly flying home to work monday after PAX. Not to mention having to get up at 6 am to catch the metrolink train to LA station because there is no way in fucking hell am I going to sit in traffic through downtown LA on a weekday morning. On that note I would have to say either a saturday or sunday thing for most of my group.

Also I would like in on the D&D game your setting up.

If we are going to have a codeword for getting into the cool PAX stuff, make it a PA refrence at least.

Like:

Gabe : Tycho
    Child's : Play
    Shock : Mouse
    Fanny : Pack
    Fruit : Fucker

Lindygamer on
    The opinions I don't have are the opinions I don't got.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    We can always just go with the normal password for all things PA related...

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Is it, or is it an acronym of, wang?

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    WANG

TnT, put me down for a DC, two copies of VOOT, twin sticks, two saturn pads w/ adapters (for FITAN GAEM) and a bunch of bur---EERRRRRRRRRRRRR, backup games.

Not tryin' to get my real stuff all fucked up/stolen/lost.

I can also bring my turbo duo or my Saturn (I own pretty much all the CapCom/SNK games) if there's any interest.

kazuo on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    WANG

TnT, put me down for a DC, two copies of VOOT, twin sticks, two saturn pads w/ adapters (for FITAN GAEM) and a bunch of bur---EERRRRRRRRRRRRR, backup games.

Not tryin' to get my real stuff all fucked up/stolen/lost.

I can also bring my turbo duo or my Saturn (I own pretty much all the CapCom/SNK games) if there's any interest.

I think I need new pants.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    Prof. PanglossProf. Pangloss Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Commissar! You have not abandon us!

For now I've just got myself confirmed for PAXery this year, boarding in Davis.
    Minimally bringing candy and beef jerky again to share with allies, as well as a big bag of (power, ethernet) cables.
    Also want to see if there are still dibs to be had for that 4e game.

Prof. Pangloss on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Were you the guy with beef jerky from last year? That stuff was awesome.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Dreamcast list was updated and organized based on what station people are coming in at.

If you are bring stuff let me know!

And I mean everything Rock Band DLC songs, D&D books, board games, card games, TVs, and even power related stuff like extension cords and power squids. I want a bigass list of tabletop stuff and a total count of extension cords for planning reasons.

and by extension cords I don't mean that short thing you use for your desk lamp, I need these cords to handle charging many DS's and cell phones while running a TV, Speakers and a 360 with a full set of instruments without starting a fire.

Edit: By let me know I meant a PM. Don't post it here I won't remember what your post was when it is 2 pages back when I get the time to update the list and I forget to copy and paste it.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.