As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SMASH] Thread Over!

• Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Zek wrote: »
    That infinite shine combo looks worthless, what are the odds that you'll pin your opponent to a wall on the ground like that? The "air momentum cancel" looks to me like it's just a result of the forward smash becoming weaker as a penalty for using it multiple times(like in Melee). And the distance PK Fire pushes you backwards is pretty trivial, although what he did in the end with the reverse jumping looked useful.

The infinite shine combo is worthless because it can be rolled out of.

The air momentum cancel has potential though. Forward smash becoming weaker? That's uh...not true. At all.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    CaspianX wrote: »
    You need to listen to Metal Gear II: Calling to the Night. EVERYONE needs to listen to Calling to the Night.

lol, wut?

Igort on
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    That Fox infinite wallshine looks super annoying, and I can't help but wonder why Sakurai's team didn't catch such a blatant and cheap exploit.

Still, I feel like if you're stupid enough to get into that kind of position against a Fox player, you kind of deserve it.

Couldn't they just patch the game through a wii update? Or is that an xbox live only feature or something.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    That infinite shine combo looks worthless, what are the odds that you'll pin your opponent to a wall on the ground like that? The "air momentum cancel" looks to me like it's just a result of the forward smash becoming weaker as a penalty for using it multiple times(like in Melee). And the distance PK Fire pushes you backwards is pretty trivial, although what he did in the end with the reverse jumping looked useful.

The air momentum cancel has potential though. Forward smash becoming weaker? That's uh...not true. At all.

The more you hit with the same move the weaker it gets. Go look at the damage that Ike did in those three consecutive hits. That said, I don't know if that applies to knockback. I don't think it does, but I'm not a pro, so I dunno.

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I don't think the "momentum canceling" was anything. Even if all three smashes were fully charged, remember that in Smash Bros, attacks get weaker if you repeat them. It would have been better if the person doing the attacking also suicided between attacks so that all of his attacks were at the same level of power.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Fig-D wrote: »
    From what I've heard so far, G&W sounds like he's going to be a fucking beast in the right hands.

what, he's going to be worth playing this time around?

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    FishguyFishguy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    Those 'techs' seem to be largely comprised of static or non-dodging targets getting hit.

Colour me unimpressed.

... Huh? The Jump towards backward video just shows the guy demonstrating how it's done, not actually fighting other "professional" player. It will definitely have use.

Or am I looking at the wrong videos?

It's also the only one I'm seeing a use for yet. I'm thinking the "infinite" wall shine is escapable, but I suppose I have no real proof. If not, competitive play would ban it just like the old Ice Climbers infinite.

The air dodge + DI ("momentum cancel" whatever wankery names we can come up with) will definitely be useful I would imagine.

The PK Waveland thing the guy was trying to do wasn't supposed to be some sort of great combo, he was just showing off how you could get spacing by holding backwards while landing during the PK Fire animation. I don't know how useful it would be, but that isn't a "combat" tech. It's for spacing.

I have no idea about the "infinite shine". Ike player was probably just mistiming his shield/dodge-roll.

"Momentum cancel" or whatever doesn't seem like an "advance" technique to me. It'll be useful to be sure, but I hesitate giving it some flashy name or anything. Also, I don't really see Lucas being a competitive character, but yes the PK waveland could have it's uses in friendly play.

From what I've heard so far, G&W sounds like he's going to be a fucking beast in the right hands.

Why is this?

Fishguy on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    They are still unrefined techniques. It took months before people discovered and perfected certain advanced techniques in Melee. The videos display what is possible with the physics engine and how directional influence works. For example, people thought dash dancing was gone, but you can clearly see Fox doing it in the video. Basically, things have changed and people are experimenting.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The "air momentum cancel" looks to me like it's just a result of the forward smash becoming weaker as a penalty for using it multiple times(like in Melee).

The penalty goes away after a few seconds, doesn't it?

Also we know that the guy getting hit is doing SOMETHING because we know for a fact that Directional Influence is back in, so even if the penalty were still in place it can't be taking too much away from the knockback.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    His recovery and shield were both greatly improved. I dunno what else, though.

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So, has anyone postulated that the difference in delays for the American release was due to some exclusive content they wanted to add for the American version? I suppose that's really, really unlikely, but it might be possible. Extra songs or the like?

They're obviously delaying the game to fix the Black Knight trophy.

jothki on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Except that yeah, it is. The first smash does 32% damage, the next does 27% and the last one does 24%. Knockback is affected too. I don't think airdodges affect momentum at all.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Chen wrote: »
    They are still unrefined techniques. It took months before people discovered and perfected certain advanced techniques in Melee. The videos display what is possible with the physics engine and how directional influence works. For example, people thought dash dancing was gone, but you can clearly see Fox doing it in the video. Basically, things have changed and people are experimenting.

There's a video on the last page or so exclusively showing foxtroting and dash dancing for about 2:00 using marth too.

Fishguy on
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Chen wrote: »

Some techniques took more than months. It was probably only in the last year or so that people started using moonwalking. I don't know when exactly it was discovered, though.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    NORNOR Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I don't think the "momentum canceling" was anything. Even if all three smashes were fully charged, remember that in Smash Bros, attacks get weaker if you repeat them. It would have been better if the person doing the attacking also suicided between attacks so that all of his attacks were at the same level of power.

Well in melee... Damage decreases but Power (that is how far you knock someone) doesn't. Don't know if this is true of Brawl as well... but I'd be willing to guess yes.

NOR on
    Swehehehehehahahahahahahahahawhawhawhaw
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    The "air momentum cancel" looks to me like it's just a result of the forward smash becoming weaker as a penalty for using it multiple times(like in Melee).

Also we know that the guy getting hit is doing SOMETHING because we know for a fact that Directional Influence is back in, so even if the penalty were still in place it can't be taking too much away from the knockback.

I think they're arguing that the difference between DI and DI+airdodge (which was only about a character space) is caused soley by the repeated attack losing knockback. If anything DI is bumped up in effectiveness from melee from what I heard.

Fishguy on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Can you set the song settings in Online play with friends too, or is it just local multiplayer?

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Fishguy wrote: »
    I think they're arguing that the difference between DI and DI+airdodge (which was only about a character space) is caused soley by the repeated attack losing knockback. If anything DI is bumped up in effectiveness from melee from what I heard.
    Yes, this has been confirmed.
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Can you set the song settings in Online play with friends too, or is it just local multiplayer?
    Yes, you can edit settings with friends online.

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Egad, I didn't even think about the stale moves effect. Someone should contact those jokers and tell them to try again with fresh matches between every hit. The public has a right to know!

Monsty on
  • Options
    CaspianXCaspianX Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    NOR wrote: »

Well in melee... Damage decreases but Power (that is how far you knock someone) doesn't. Don't know if this is true of Brawl as well... but I'd be willing to guess yes.

I know for a fact it is. I saw a vid where Bowser did his piledriver move twise - first time it did 19% damage, second time it did 17%. They were a good 10-20 seconds apart, IIRC.

CaspianX on
    sigv2a.gif
  • Options
    NORNOR Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

I know for a fact it is. I saw a vid where Bowser did his piledriver move twise - first time it did 19% damage, second time it did 17%. They were a good 10-20 seconds apart, IIRC.

You can actually confirm that a moves knock back decreases? I'd like a link if at all possible.

NOR on
    Swehehehehehahahahahahahahahawhawhawhaw
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Fishguy wrote: »

Right, I understand that. But what I'm saying is that between hit 1 and hit 2, there is a clear difference in knockback that cannot be entirely attributed to Stale Moves, because Player 2 is using DI. Therefore, it's reasonable to assume that at least some of the lost distance in hit 3 can be attributed to the air dodge.

Also, watch hit 3 closely. Ike doesn't travel in a clean arc like he does on the other two hits. The momentum abruptly drops and then stops completely while he's dodging, making him drop almost straight down.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

You can actually confirm that a moves knock back decreases? I'd like a link if at all possible.

Er... not what I meant. I just meant the damage decrease. Sorry for the confusion.

CaspianX on
    sigv2a.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008

That could also be a product of where the character was hit.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    SkyGheNe wrote: »

I doubt it - it was a grab-throw move. I don't think there was any "where" to it.

CaspianX on
    sigv2a.gif
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    New Thread inc soon.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008

I doubt it - it was a grab-throw move. I don't think there was any "where" to it.

Ah, I thought you were talking about his Down-B

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

His Right/Left+B grab now initiates an awesome piledriver move.

Edit: BTW, is anyone keeping track of how many SSBB threads there have been? I'm curious to know.

CaspianX on
    sigv2a.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008

His Right/Left+B grab now initiates an awesome piledriver move.

Edit: BTW, is anyone keeping track of how many SSBB threads there have been? I'm curious to know.
    Too many.

Makes me wonder what things will be like after the game's out. I'm actually thinking that after the initial tidal wave things will die down a lot.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited February 2008
    jothki wrote: »
    So, has anyone postulated that the difference in delays for the American release was due to some exclusive content they wanted to add for the American version? I suppose that's really, really unlikely, but it might be possible. Extra songs or the like?

They fucking better be. I mean, Ettard? Where the fuck did that come from?

Stupid ettards, that's what they are.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Makes me wonder what things will be like after the game's out. I'm actually thinking that after the initial tidal wave things will die down a lot.
    yeah, I'm sure it'll go the usual way of things around here - a game on thread will be made and kept up for a few weeks or months, then trail off into nothingness as nobody posts. But, eh, it's smash, mayhaps it'll last longer than most games here.

METAzraeL on

• Options
    edited February 2008
    METAzraeL wrote: »
    yeah, I'm sure it'll go the usual way of things around here - a game on thread will be made and kept up for a few weeks or months, then trail off into nothingness as nobody posts. But, eh, it's smash, mayhaps it'll last longer than most games here.

The Pokethread is something like 10 months old and is still going strong, and Smash is arguably going to be much more popular.

For Pokemon, what died out after a month or two was the need for two threads. Heck, I think at one point people were even asking for a subforum.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Zealous OneZealous One Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    To clarify the confusion about stale moves' damage and knockback, I can say without doubt that in Melee, the more you use an attack consecutively, the less damage it does, and the less knockback it causes. The damage will keep going down until the attack is doing just about 50% of what it normally does. I don't know by what factor the knockback decreases, but you can verify that it does by going into training, setting the computer to 999%, and use a tilt or other medium power attack to KO them repeatedly. After several hits, it should be apparent that it takes a little longer for the attack to send them off screen, and depending on the move, they may not even be KO'd by it after a while.

As Ashton said, the attacking Ike should have suicided in between moves, because dying resets the damage of all your attacks. And the damage/knockback a move does won't recover over time: you need to connect with other moves first. For every hit you connect that isn't the one in question, the move you used will regain a little damage, until after a certain number of hits (I don't know what it is), the damage and knockback are at full strength again.

Sorry about the long post, just wanted to clarify since there was a lot of confusion, and I experimented a lot with Melee's training mode before.

Zealous One on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    METAzraeL wrote: »

The Pokethread is something like 10 months old and is still going strong, and Smash is arguably going to be much more popular.

For Pokemon, what died out after a month or two was the need for two threads. Heck, I think at one point people were even asking for a subforum.

And the funny thing is, that's a series a lot of people say has become stagnant.

CaspianX on
    sigv2a.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I guess I'm just too used to getting into the smaller ds/wii online games that nobody stuck with.

METAzraeL on

• Options
    edited February 2008
    To clarify the confusion about stale moves' damage and knockback, I can say without doubt that in Melee, the more you use an attack consecutively, the less damage it does, and the less knockback it causes. The damage will keep going down until the attack is doing just about 50% of what it normally does. I don't know by what factor the knockback decreases, but you can verify that it does by going into training, setting the computer to 999%, and use a tilt or other medium power attack to KO them repeatedly. After several hits, it should be apparent that it takes a little longer for the attack to send them off screen, and depending on the move, they may not even be KO'd by it after a while.

As Ashton said, the attacking Ike should have suicided in between moves, because dying resets the damage of all your attacks. And the damage/knockback a move does won't recover over time: you need to connect with other moves first. For every hit you connect that isn't the one in question, the move you used will regain a little damage, until after a certain number of hits (I don't know what it is), the damage and knockback are at full strength again.

Sorry about the long post, just wanted to clarify since there was a lot of confusion, and I experimented a lot with Melee's training mode before.
    Okay then, assume Stale Moves hasn't been changed at all, and that it caps off at 50% of the original damage/knockback. Ike gets knocked back about 50% of the original distance on Hit 3. Even taking DI into account, surely it would take more than 3 consecutive hits for the move to be as weak as possible?

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    FCD wrote: »
    Just finished watching that Wolf vs. Falco video. Holy Shit. That Falco player was good, but that Wolf player was a beast. I loved early on, when Falco had just come back from a K.O. with 0% damage, and Wolf was over 100%, but Wolf still got the next kill. Jesus H. Christ, that is brutal. What a sight.

A correction. After being K.O.'d, Falco managed to get Wolf to just over 200% damage, but Wolf still got the next kill. Again, that was an awesome fight.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    Zealous OneZealous One Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Okay then, assume Stale Moves hasn't been changed at all, and that it caps off at 50% of the original damage/knockback. Ike gets knocked back about 50% of the original distance on Hit 3. Even taking DI into account, surely it would take more than 3 consecutive hits for the move to be as weak as possible?

Yes, but there's going to be a slight difference in any case. I'd say the movie does show a slight improvement in recovery, but they're giving the impression that it's greater than it actually is. That's all I wanted to clear up. The difference is fairly small, but every little bit counts to serious players, I suppose.

For a little evidence, I just created a test people can try out to confirm what I said. I set up Roy vs. Mario (human controlled to prevent recovery) on Final Destination in training mode, and killed Mario once to have him respawn on the left side of the stage (he'll always spawn there), and myself to reset the damage. I then kept using a fully charged Flare Blade (50 damage) on Mario as he respawned. Mario should just barely survive in the magnifying glass on the right side of the stage.

On the 5th hit, the Flare Blade did 35 damage (70% of full power), and on the 8 hit, it did 29 damage and Mario barely grabbed the edge of the stage. At the 10th hit and above, it reaches the lowest it'll go, 27 damage (54% of full power). Distance can't be exactly measured, but it's possible knockback doesn't scale on the same percentages.

Also, it takes 9 hits from other attacks (it doesn't need to be 9 different attacks) to get Flare Blade back up to 50 damage.

(Note: SSB64 was a bit different. If you used an attack and then used it again, its damage would never drop lower than what the second hit did. They likely changed this for Melee to discourage stale moves even more.)

Zealous One on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    UberEvUberEv Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dareth Ram wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »

They fucking better be. I mean, Ettard? Where the fuck did that come from?

Stupid ettards, that's what they are.

I think the delay was purely manufacturing. I'm in southern Japan and we didn't have too much of a supply problem down here due to a lessened centralized population, but I hear things are bad in Tokyo. I think the month for NA was just to produce and ship enough copies to try to meet demand after they met the initial demand here. I don't think it is extra content because as far as we know different regions can play together, so if you added extra content then how would our versions sync up online?

UberEv on
  • Options
    JackKieserJackKieser Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Flippy, I have to thank you for linking to all of that music. Really, you and whoever is hosting all of it (may also be you) are doing us a great service. Of course, I'm OCD about my music, and since not all of the songs have iPod-worthy fade-outs, I'm going through and correcting the endings of some of them... but that's my own damn fault for being suck a stickler about music.

Until we get an official GST, Flippy, I salute you!

EDIT: I know there has already been a TON of soundtrack work done so far, but I have to ask (you know... that music OCD again): would it be possible to get a list of composers to go with the songs? I'd like my ID3 tags to be as accurate as possible. :lol: If not, I understand, as that would be a ton of work as well, but as I said, I had to ask.

EDIT 2: Directed to the following post: Wow, that's damn cool. Agreed, sir. Agreed.

JackKieser on

Balanced-Brawl-Sig-2.gif?t=1271711610
This discussion has been closed.