As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

FINAL BYOC INFO! ALL BYOC ATTENDEES PLEASE READ!

• Options
    Ukali.KulaUkali.Kula Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    BigRed wrote: »
    TwiztidK wrote: »
    Is there some unwritten rule about bringing insanely awesome computers, or could I bring a computer thats not that great?

Most people are gaming on laptops.

As long as your computer can run TF2 you are good.

However my computer is insanley awesome, you can try and make me look bad IF YOU DARE

what exactly does "insaneley awesome" mean?
    -SPEC ME SON!!!(what are the specs...)

Ukali.Kula on
  • Options
    TwiztidKTwiztidK Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Is there some unwritten rule about bringing insanely awesome computers, or could I bring a computer thats not that great?

However my computer is insanley awesome, you can try and make me look bad IF YOU DARE

Ok, I know it can handle TF2.

TwiztidK on
  • Options
    gogglesgoggles Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    whypick1 wrote: »
    I never said "yes" for your group.

No one has said yes to my group.

I don't care, I'm still keeping track. You're local dammit.

goggles on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ukali.Kula wrote: »

Im upgrading the videocard before PAX

core2quad Q6600 watercooled @ 3.6ghz
    8gb ddr2 1066
    9800GX2 (will be a GTX 280 before PAX)
    Asus maximus forumla x38 mobo

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

there'd better not be, i'm bringing my macbook!

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Ukali.Kula wrote: »

Im upgrading the videocard before PAX

core2quad Q6600 watercooled @ 3.6ghz
    8gb ddr2 1066
    9800GX2 (will be a GTX 280 before PAX)
    Asus maximus forumla x38 mobo

Way overboard!! Beyond neccesary... Quite excesive. BUT FUCKING AMAZING. I was thinking i had the comp to beat you.....but now mine looks like ass.

Ukali.Kula on
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I think you'd have better luck trying to be taller than BigRed than to own a better computer than his.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    whypick1 wrote: »
    I think you'd have better luck trying to be taller than BigRed than to own a better computer than his.

Haha it's hard to NOT be taller than BigRed!

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    damnit, I was going to bring my laptop... but I can't play TF2 on it... so I guess it's now huge gaming rig bringing time!

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    all i have is my laptop...so no TF2 for me *sadface*

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    Oz K. FodrotskiOz K. Fodrotski Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm building a new computer (almost) expressly for this event. Small form-factor is, at least so far as LANning is concerned, the place to be.

Unless you're BigRed, so I'm told.

Oz K. Fodrotski on
  • Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Small computers = less airflow = bad

If you want portability, that's what laptops are for. Small desktops limit component options too egregiously, especially since really good performance requires really good cooling.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Small computers = less airflow = bad

If you want portability, that's what laptops are for. Small desktops limit component options too egregiously, especially since really good performance requires really good cooling.

I've never encountered a problem with a small computer -- indeed, the single most stable computer I ever owned was a Shuttle, as is the system I'm going to build. So long as the case in question was designed to facilitate proper airflow (and/or provide the option of some superior cooling, such as heat-pipes), then there's no issue.

To wit, I've definitely had laptops overheat on me far more frequently than small desktops.*

Edit: * - regarding systems (laptop and small form-factor both) intended for gaming.

Oz K. Fodrotski on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Shuttles are nice. I had one a while back in the Early p4 days.

If you want to do Mini ATX, this case is pretty sweet (the gf has this)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129041

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I worked on a couple of Shuttles when I was contracting for Lumedx. Horrible, horrible power supplies. To be expected from the size, but underpowered, poorly designed crap. We had three of them and couldn't get any of them running for more than a day without random rebooting.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    MordoredMordored Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Just wanted to throw my hat in and let ya'll know that I have a ticket for BYOC. Not much of a forum poster, but figured that I better get over that if I wanna get to know some of you peeps. I'm looking forward to meeting alot of you guys and gals. Been reading these forums for well over a month now and have had many lolz. See you all soon!!!

Mordored on
    I lick toads. Nuff said!
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Mordored wrote: »
    Just wanted to throw my hat in and let ya'll know that I have a ticket for BYOC. Not much of a forum poster, but figured that I better get over that if I wanna get to know some of you peeps. I'm looking forward to meeting alot of you guys and gals. Been reading these forums for well over a month now and have had many lolz. See you all soon!!!
    hi, i'm matt, and i'm a chocoholic. ok, now you share.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    MordoredMordored Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Heh.

My name is Chris, and I like pie and popcicles. I also like days that end in Y.

Mordored on
    I lick toads. Nuff said!
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Let's all join in!

My name is Oz, and I compulsively create acronyms.

Oz K. Fodrotski on
  • Options
    David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm quite fond of my SFF system. It does run hot, but never unreliably.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Hi, My name is Andy, and I'm left-handed.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    hi, I`m Shaun and I`m Canadian (as you might be able to tell from my randomly french keyboard layout...stupid accented És and slanty apostrophe`s =( )

tr0tsky on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Qs23 wrote: »

so, does that mean you have a YTREWQ keyboard?

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    dyaballikl wrote: »

No, my keyboard is a Model-M... which you will see at the BYOC this year.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Hi im Jake and i killed a ferrel pig with my bare feet. I also enjoy thinking i missed the omeganaut call.

Ukali.Kula on
  • Options
    gogglesgoggles Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My name is Conner and I like stinky cheeses.

I also just played the Quake Wars demo for 2 hours. It is a fun time. It's $14.90 at gogamer.com. Which means we should play it at PAX.

goggles on
  • Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

I need a couple more Model-Ms. :(

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    skarsol wrote: »

The Model M is entirely badass; bulletproof, solid click response, really the only strikes against it are the PS/2 connection and the lack of a Windows key, both of which are easily forgivable, but can be solved (for the capitalist sort) by purchasing a modern remake such as the Unicomp Customizer or the Das Keyboard (both are steep price-wise, unfortunately).

Had I the time / motivation, I'd go about grafting a G15 LCD to one (I've come to find said LCD extremely useful as a system monitor).

Oz K. Fodrotski on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    PS/2 a strike against? Because waiting for Windows to load keyboard drivers is so fun?

I am going to weep when I can no longer get motherboards with PS/2...

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    PS/2 a strike against? Because waiting for Windows to load keyboard drivers is so fun?

I am going to weep when I can no longer get motherboards with PS/2...

Some computers just don't have PS/2 ports, these days.

Though, honestly, why they haven't dropped floppy controllers from motherboards first is beyond me...

Oz K. Fodrotski on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    But you see, so far the computers without PS/2 are lame. Usually either generic crap from a big manufacturer or some stripped down niche product not built for performance. Whereas virtually all good performance prioritized motherboards that I care about still have PS/2. When that market segment changes... the weeping will commence.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    But you see, so far the computers without PS/2 are lame. Usually either generic crap from a big manufacturer or some stripped down niche product not built for performance. Whereas virtually all good performance prioritized motherboards that I care about still have PS/2. When that market segment changes... the weeping will commence.

A lot of the newer performance motherboards are starting to omitt PS/2. My maximus formula only has 1 PS/2 port (keyboard I think, I havent used a PS/2 port in 4 years though). Ive seen a few new x48 boards that are getting rid of it too.

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    ... and that's why I don't buy Asus. Or Intel chipsets. But seriously, sad to see the writing on the wall.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008

The Model M is entirely badass; bulletproof, solid click response, really the only strikes against it are the PS/2 connection and the lack of a Windows key, both of which are easily forgivable, but can be solved (for the capitalist sort) by purchasing a modern remake such as the Unicomp Customizer or the Das Keyboard (both are steep price-wise, unfortunately).

Had I the time / motivation, I'd go about grafting a G15 LCD to one (I've come to find said LCD extremely useful as a system monitor).
    the g15 is one badass keyboard, i'll definitely be bringing mine. anybody know someone who's actually bought that one with oled screens in every key, though? nuckin futs, that thing is!

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • Options
    proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    the g15 is one badass keyboard, i'll definitely be bringing mine. anybody know someone who's actually bought that one with oled screens in every key, though? nuckin futs, that thing is!

The G15s are pretty badass, but i'm kind of disappointed by mine- it's had some problems. They are fun to show off, though. Those Optimus keyboards with the OLEDs in every key are pretty amazing, but they cost more than my entire computer!

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    proXimity wrote: »

The G15s are pretty badass, but i'm kind of disappointed by mine- it's had some problems. They are fun to show off, though. Those Optimus keyboards with the OLEDs in every key are pretty amazing, but they cost more than my entire computer!

Having owned the original G15 and recently acquiring the revision, I find the new model fixes a lot of issues the original had, from size to sturdiness.

Man, if someone actually shelled out the cash for an Optimus, I don't think they'd bring it to BYOC... >.>

Oz K. Fodrotski on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I have an original G15...I should really get a new one. All the paint (?) has worn off my keys so they're all just blue-light shining through :P

tr0tsky on
  • Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    tr0tsky wrote: »
    I have an original G15...I should really get a new one. All the paint (?) has worn off my keys so they're all just blue-light shining through :P

Sounds like you need one of those blank Das Keyboards. :P

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Sounds like you need one of those blank Das Keyboards. :P

Tempting, but I like my LCD...plus I don't really have 150 bucks to spend on a keyboard atm.

tr0tsky on
  • Options
    slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Mordored wrote: »
    hi, i'm matt, and i'm a chocoholic. ok, now you share.

Hi, I'm James, and I'm like a chocoholic, except for alcohol.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.