As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

El DOODLErino, if you're not into the whole brevity thing. (NSFW? Link that shit.)

• Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    That^..............is fucking cool.

Mustang on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Could I get some crits on this? Are the legs too skinny or short? Torso/abs messed up? Lemme know.

dangarretss3.jpg

Munch on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Believe wrote: »
    Campion wrote: »
    Her hand's still broken, Believe, people's hands don't do that.
    Right. Did you actually attempt the pose before saying that?

Okay, here's a compromise, straight up.

The hand looks weird.

Probably in how you drew the fingers/connected them to the palm/drew the shape of the hand. Those are all issues I'm seeing. I just tried to replicate the hand, and for one, you can see where the fingers connect to the palm. You drew them continuing on past the edge of the thumb. The thumb also seems too high in relation to where the index finger connects. Also, the general "shape" of the bulk of the hand should be more triangular - yours currently looks more rectangle-ish.

BOTPLAWL:
    progression.png
    Every time I look at it, I find something else wrong with it. I find it hard to see the big picture when I'm inking a rough sketch, instead of starting from scratch.
    clodhopper wrote: »
    robotocide.jpg

Robotocide!
    Munch wrote: »
    Could I get some crits on this? Are the legs too skinny or short? Torso/abs messed up? Lemme know.

dangarretss3.jpg

NightDragon on
  • Options
    TheMorningStarTheMorningStar Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    spidey pic I did this morning while bored at work.

spiddymp8.th.jpg

TheMorningStar on
  • Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Could really use some critique.

The legs are royally fucked right now, I need to put a lot more work into them.

samgirl1.jpg

F87 on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The pose looks kind of weird, like shes trying her hardest to stretch her body in every direction. Try bring the head down some as well as the arm. Her legs seem a little bit to short also. Its a pretty solid start, though.

kinda sorta
    f87.jpg

wakkawa on
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Scosglen wrote: »

Really.

handpic.jpg

The fingers aren't drawn perfectly, but there's nothing impossible about that gesture.

Yes, really.

handpic.png

1. A photo of my attempt to emulate the hand gesture. You'll notice that I'm pulling back my finger with my other hand. The line shows the angle that my hand is bending at, it is not very close to the picture's angle.

2. Your attempt at the hand gesture. It's close to how much my fingers are bent, but it's nowhere close to the picture. You'll notice that the top of your fingers are bent inwards.

3. The picture's hand gesture. The singer has mastered the art of hand bending and can continue to learn earth, fire, and wind.

I've rotated our hands to match the angle that the picture's hand is pointing at.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Thanks Wak.

Worked it out some more, still needs a lot of work on the limbs.

Hows the head look?

samgirl2.jpg

F87 on
  • Options
    FohnFohn Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    srsizzy wrote: »
    I was not aware that Garfunkle was an alien from the planet Mega-Cerebrum.

And by that I mean...BIG forehead.

Thanks guy

Fohn on
    Meh.
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

dangarretss3.jpg

Structural issues: The forearm on the right doesnt connect up to the bicep. It looks like a 2D flap of skin connected near the elbow.

The other arm looks like its exploding out of the side of his torso, and the forearm is bendy; wheres the wrist?

The right leg is coming out of the side of his torso too, instead of his hip. His belt looks like its intersecting through his inner thigh.

The left legs thigh is super stretched, and the calf muscle looks to be placed too near the knee joint.

No neck, but he has those triangular neck muscles, but they dont seem to join up to anything, they just wrap around the back of his neck like a nice scarf. Collar bone?

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Scosglen wrote: »

Really.

handpic.jpg

The fingers aren't drawn perfectly, but there's nothing impossible about that gesture.

Yes, really.

handpic.png

1. A photo of my attempt to emulate the hand gesture. You'll notice that I'm pulling back my finger with my other hand. The line shows the angle that my hand is bending at, it is not very close to the picture's angle.

2. Your attempt at the hand gesture. It's close to how much my fingers are bent, but it's nowhere close to the picture. You'll notice that the top of your fingers are bent inwards.

3. The picture's hand gesture. The singer has mastered the art of hand bending and can continue to learn earth, fire, and wind.

I've rotated our hands to match the angle that the picture's hand is pointing at.

Just because your hands don't bend that much, doesn't mean it's impossible, Campion.

hands.jpg

It might not be the most comfortable pose to hold, but it looks exciting, and I think that's the point?

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, I like photoshop, so what?

image006rm8.jpg

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    117Lei117Lei Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Looks like your soul is coming out of your face.

117Lei on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    117Lei wrote: »
    Looks like your soul is coming out of your face.

HUGE SUCCESS!

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    dangarretss3.jpg

Yeah, Munch, a lot of your anatomy is really off, but your work has a certain awkwardness to it, for lack of a better word, that really appeals to me. I dug that Iron Man redesign as well. I'd like to see more of it.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Just because your hands don't bend that much, doesn't mean it's impossible, Campion.

hands.jpg

It might not be the most comfortable pose to hold, but it looks exciting, and I think that's the point?

Alright. I disagree about the exciting part, but I'm clearly not the majority here.
    Way to stretch your hand by the way, I don't know what I've been doing to have such stiff hands, but I tried that again and now my wrist won't stop hurting.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, Munch, a lot of your anatomy is really off, but your work has a certain awkwardness to it, for lack of a better word, that really appeals to me. I dug that Iron Man redesign as well. I'd like to see more of it.

Ah, thanks? Hah, I assure you I'm not sucking on purpose but it's nice to know that by doing so I might be able to capture a niche audience. Oh, and thanks for that color job on that Iron Man sketch I did a while back. Been meaning to thank you for that; it looked pretty cool.

desperaterobots, thanks for the crits but unfortunately I got bored at the laundromat last night and just inked the dumb thing before I saw your comments. I'll keep them in mind for the future though. Your comments basically echo the advice I usually tend to get here (i.e. study anatomy moar!), but it's still appreciated. I'm always futzing around trying to figure out how muscles work and stuff, and I do feel I've improved a bit, but I've still got a long ways to go.

Anyways, inks on the above monstrosity.

dangarretinksfb2.png

Munch on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Where's the disco ball? :P

MKR on
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Munch. Do some life studies dammit! You have an OKAY understanding of anatomy, and the only way to push it is to draw from life/reference. From what I've seen from you, you keep fiddling around with the same basic body shape, drawn over and over again from your head. You will not be able to get it much better looking than this unless you know how it is supposed to look. And the best way to do that is to draw the real deal.

Sublimus on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I take this little wip cuts so I can feel like I am making progress on a piece:

wip_eye1.jpg

NotASenator on
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ok. I think this is my first time posting here on the art forum, so be harsh on me. :winky:

I have a few different doodles that I would love to turn into T-shirts (and if they would sell well, I would love to create shirts as a part-time gig). Here is my first doodle that I am working on.

Balloonenstein T-shirt concept

(doodle from one of my notebooks during class)
    Balloonenstein.jpg

(after working on it for a little)
    Balloonensteingoodoutline.png

A couple of things.

For one, I am no Photoshop pro. I am just learning to use vectors to make the outline of the balloon monster. I actually have started coloring it from scratch so that he has thinner lines.

And two, what do you think? I see that his right eye (our left) is too low and have already fixed that. I am also toying with the idea of getting rid of the text all together, removing a few dead bodies, and maybe getting rid of the monster's legs. Also, if you have ANY tips on using Photoshop to color in a picture, I will listen.

I really don't want the end product to look like an MS Paint job. I assume using the smoothing tool will help with edges.

But yea, let me know what you think overall.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    since your just starting out with photoshop, let me give you a few tips...

rarely, if ever, use the dodge/burn/smooth/sharpen/blur/etc tools. Learn to change whats needed via the brush tool, your results will be dramatic.

learn to draw traditionally and at least know the fundemantals about color and how to paint with them.

experiment with layers and learn the different settings so you can give yourself a good idea about what each one does and how to use them accordingly.

spend a few hours looking up photoshop tuts, one good place is the question section here and the photoshop subforums in conceptart.org

took me months to get a handle on photoshop, after nearly 10 months i'm still learning, so don't worry if your slow in catching on.

oh, and your using a tablet, right? If not then get yourself a wacom, but don't rush into it. Make sure you got a handle on drawing first before you simply dive in like I did, and I don't think anyone deserves to experiance a nightmare like that.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    hell, i'm looking at my 8th year with the program and i'm still learning things about it.
    Mykonos:
    I think you're having problems with your grammar.
    Sorry, duder. just a pet peeve of mine.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    turel_by_AdventDawn.jpg

thumbnail sketch of what I'm currently working on. Wouldn't mind a spot on perspective before I continue onward, and it would be much appreciated

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Mykonos wrote: »
    since your just starting out with photoshop, let me give you a few tips...

rarely, if ever, use the dodge/burn/smooth/sharpen/blur/etc tools. Learn to change whats needed via the brush tool, your results will be dramatic.

learn to draw traditionally and at least know the fundemantals about color and how to paint with them.

experiment with layers and learn the different settings so you can give yourself a good idea about what each one does and how to use them accordingly.

spend a few hours looking up photoshop tuts, one good place is the question section here and the photoshop subforums in conceptart.org

took me months to get a handle on photoshop, after nearly 10 months i'm still learning, so don't worry if your slow in catching on.

oh, and your using a tablet, right? If not then get yourself a wacom, but don't rush into it. Make sure you got a handle on drawing first before you simply dive in like I did, and I don't think anyone deserves to experiance a nightmare like that.

When you say know the fundamentals of colors and how to paint, you want me to take a look at pieces/tutorials/information on painting in general, right? I agree with you. Right now, the whole thing looks like an MS Paint job (at least in my eyes). I want it to look pretty, which is why I have been looking through my design major friends here at school and seeing if they want to do the paint job.

I have been dicking around with Photoshop since last summer. My friend showed me how to basically take my head/face and put it on someones elses body and make it look ok. I did a few of those and then stopped with PS until now.

As for my drawing skills? I have been drawing (well, a lot of doodling) since I was little. After I dropped out of being a Computer Science major, I set my sights on Communication Design. I never got into the program because my Drawing 1 and 2 teacher was kind of a dick. My stuff wasn't great, but some of it could've been worse. I grasped the concept of measuring with your finger and I usually try to get proportions/body positions correct. The eraser is the best tool you can have.

Anyway, here is what I did tonight.

Balloonensteinthinnerlinesafterl-1.png

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    turel_by_AdventDawn.jpg

thumbnail sketch of what I'm currently working on. Wouldn't mind a spot on perspective before I continue onward, and it would be much appreciated

Right now this seems like its just the basics. A straight on view of the characters. start doing some more thumbnails to see what other compositions you get it out of it. Like have the camera up from above so you can have some 3 point perspective and a dramatic camera angle. This angle would also help make the girl sexier (it looks like a detective story after all) by givin a better view of some cleavage and you could probably have the the guy looking at her butt with a creepy smirk on his face. Thats the first thing I saw when I looked at that guy, haha.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    this isn't a sketch, but I don't feel like making a thread for incomplete stuff

samshowy4.jpg

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    TheMorningStarTheMorningStar Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Who ever knows the reference first gets a cookie
    monsquwj5.th.jpg

edit: sorry about the shitty image quality, it's from my cell phone. I'll be uploading a scan of it tomorrow.

TheMorningStar on
  • Options
    Captain UglyheadCaptain Uglyhead Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    durrrtl4.png

His name is Timothy.

Captain Uglyhead on
    Spiderweb Software makes fun, reasonably priced games for PCs and Macs. Big demos, too!
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    edit:

I think I'm gonna hold off posting until I've completed more of it, especially since I just now read wakawa's response.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    clodhopperclodhopper Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    turel_by_AdventDawn.jpg

Im fairly late on this, but I think the guy on the left looks like hes hiding in a corner thinking hes somehow invisible or being sneaky. He might benefit from having a fairly open area behind the desk, so that he might be walking by or just looking out a window. If its a small office space then I just think hes looking a bit too shifty.

part2of 2 in robot murdersville
    robotocide2.jpg
    This one Im less happy with, if anyone has the time or interest please rip it in to tiny educational shreds.

clodhopper on
    Belty the Safety Device!

Buckle up!
  • Options
    CatnipCatCatnipCat Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    CCG.jpg

bah

CatnipCat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sharky tsharky t LondonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    hellboy comin atcha!
    hellboy_sketch_by_Tigrshark.jpg

sharky t on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    thanks for the input so far. here's an update with some color blocking.

turel_by_AdventDawn.jpg

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The One Dark KnightThe One Dark Knight Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Mykonos, you're always shading with black and highlighting with white. There's no clearly defined form either. It just makes everything look muddy/indistinct.

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Yeah I recently read about how many digital artists would paint the values first in greyscale and use overlays to color block it, - then build from there. I figure I would give that method a shot but its a lot harder to do than whats seen in their video tuts.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    StudioZELStudioZEL ConnecticutRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    A sketch of a friend.

experiment.jpg

StudioZEL on
  • Options
    117Lei117Lei Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    selfportraitcopy-2.png

Self portrait.

117Lei on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    StudioZEL wrote: »
    A sketch of a friend.

Oh hey, lookithat, you got loads better.

Tam on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Who ever knows the reference first gets a cookie
    monsquwj5.th.jpg

edit: sorry about the shitty image quality, it's from my cell phone. I'll be uploading a scan of it tomorrow.

Wolfman's got NARDS!

it's from the cover art to the monster squad anniversary DVD

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
This discussion has been closed.