Options

[OOC Exalted]: Diamond in the Rough

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    We could really use a sorcerer.

Keep in mind that there's some really badass stuff a sorcerer can do. And demon-summoning in Exalted isn't the liability it is in a lot of other games; it's fucking great.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    RhakaRhaka Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    How would you roll up an effective sorcerer at the start? I'm kind of dabbling in it but really I don't know what I'm doing, I wouldn't mind sacrificing some MA or whatever to improve on it.

Rhaka on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Rhaka wrote: »
    How would you roll up an effective sorcerer at the start? I'm kind of dabbling in it but really I don't know what I'm doing, I wouldn't mind sacrificing some MA or whatever to improve on it.
    Sorry, Rhaka, I totally forgot to look over your character. :P

I'll get to it tomorrow, I hope.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I feel so neglected :(

Rhaka on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    ummm just an odd question, do we have a healer, or somebody capable of fixing our epic boo-boos?

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I have a few dots in healing, but I didn't take any charms for it. The inspiration for this character didn't seem to do much healing. He could control the elements, so I really wanted to take the sorcery path...but it didn't seem to match the flavor or be worth it, and the ST at the time didn't like sorcery either. I took Phantom Conjuring Performance, because he could make phantoms appear. And he can brainwash people, so that fits too.

I'll try to work on fleshing out the background and making a few things more clear, now that I might get to play him. But do you think that charm is worth what I'd have to lose to get it? And what should I cut? I'd need to buy that charm, one prereq charm, and two more dots in Resistance.

I'd be up for playing other types of Exalted, too. I know one friend of mine loves Dragon-Blooded. I have the book for that handy, but none of the others. I just made a Solar because it's default, and the ST at the time wanted to start out at the beginning.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    ummm just an odd question, do we have a healer, or somebody capable of fixing our epic boo-boos?
    I don't believe so, but this is much less necessary in Exalted than it is in D&D. This is not to say that having someone capable of doing that is bad, since quite the opposite is true (it is awesome and wonderful), just that no one should feel that they have to play the healer if they don't want to just because we don't have one.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Well, here's the basic idea of what' i've got so far, though I'm still working on her.

Chandra Ishra "Shadow's Pearl"
    Changin Moon Caste
    A Councilor type to Krata's whatever-he-is
    Very social, but not useless in a fight
    Spirit Shape is a black and white Osprey
    Vague description is dark-skinned woman, not very tall or broad, white hair with a layer of longer black hair underneath.

She is (Krata's) right-hand gal. Steering him away from social faux-pas, and by his side during most things, she will defend him and work for his goals till the Solars are Resplendent once again. Or until her Essence is recycled once more. Whichever happens last. She makes certain that nobody is getting the upper hand on (Krata), either at the negotiating table, or out on the battlefield. She does not appear to be much of anything, always quiet and in the shadow of her Solar, but without her, he would never rise to the heights he is destined to achieve.

And that's about as far as I've gotten at the moment.... beacuse, it's almost 4am, and i'm gonna go to bed before i pass out on the keyboard.

ps-- he is not going to be naming his character "Krata" He just doesn't have a name at the moment for the character, so that's just easier for me to type it that way.

pps-- going to have questions about artifacts and artifact tattoos when i get back online tomorrow night. possibly. I'll post her sheet when She's mostly done.

ppps-- told you i'd have a concept by the end of the weekend. i haven't slept yet, so it's not monday.

pppps-- oh yeah. Go Giants! Rock!

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I haven't got a name yet, and I've only got a rough outline. I'm still working up the background, but these are the basics:
    Caste: Solar - Eclipse
    Concept: Singing courtesan

Attributes:

Strength: 2
    Dexterity: 5
    Stamina: 2

Charisma: 5
    Manipulation: 2
    Appearance: 4

Perception: 3
    Intelligence: 2
    Wits: 2

Abilities:

(F)Martial Arts: 5
    Awareness: 3
    Dodge: 4
    (F)Integrity: 4
    (F)Performance: 5
    (F)Presence: 3
    Craft - Air: 3
    (C)Bureaucracy: 1
    (C)Linguistics: 5 (High Realm, Old Realm)
    (C)Ride: 0
    (C)Sail: 0
    (C)Socialize: 3

Virtues:

Compassion: 3
    Conviction: 2
    Temperance: 5
    Valor: 1

Willpower: 8
    Essence: 2

Backgrounds:
    Artifact 1 - Harmonic Orichalcum Chain Shirt
    Artifact 1 - Harmonic Orichalcum Weapon (probably a sai)
    Resources 2
    Manse 3

Charms:

Second Integrity Excellency
    Temptation-Resisting Stance
    Second Martial Arts Excellency
    Shadow Over Water
    Seven-Shadows Evasion

The remaining five charms will probably be split in some way between Martial Arts charms from the Silver-Voiced Nightingale Style, Performance charms, and Linguistics charms.

That character is not at all fleshed out, but I wanted to give people an idea of where I am going. Further language choices are going to depend upon where we are.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I *think* I've punched out a workable sheet. Suggestions are HIGHLY welcome, though.
    Name: Bob Placeholder
    Caste: Twilight
    Motivation: Gain knowledge and put it to the best use for The Greater Good

Primary: Mental
    Per: 3
    Int: 5
    Wit: 3

Secondary: Social
    Cha: 4
    Man: 4
    App: 1

Tertiary: Physical
    Str: 2
    Dex: 3
    Sta: 2

Caste Abilities
    Craft:
    Investigation: 3 (Library Research x2)
    Lore: 3
    Medicine:
    Occult: 3

Favored Abilities
    Martial Arts: 2 (Fighting Unarmed x2)
    Integrity: 2
    Presence: 2
    Dodge: 3 (When Unarmed x2)
    Socialize: 3

Abilities
    Resistance: 2
    Athletics: 1
    Awareness: 1
    Bureaucracy: 1
    Linguistics: 2 (Low Realm, High Realm, Old Realm)

Background
    Contacts: 3
    Influence: 2
    Resources: 2

Charms
    Martial Arts: Fists of Iron Technique
    Resistance: Durability of Oak Meditation; Body-Mending Meditation

Investigation: Judge's Ear Technique; Courtier's Eye Technique
    Lore: First Lore Excellency
    Occult: Terrestial Circle Sorcery (Wood Dragon's Claw, Emerald Countermagic); Spirit-Detecting Glance

Dodge: Shadow Over Water

Virtues
    Compassion: 1
    Conviction: 4
    Temperance: 2
    Valor: 2
    Virtue Flaw: Conviction, Heart of Flint

Willpower: 6
    Intimacies:
    Essence: 3
    Personal Essence: 15
    Peripheral Essence: 35
    Health Levels: 7

Bonus Points: 15
    7: +1 Essence
    5: Shadow Over Water
    3: +6 Favored/Caste Specialties

I'm terrible with names so that'll get changed later on. My basic concept is basically a scholar who tries to use his knowledge for the benefit of creation/social engineering, and studies everything relevant to that cause.
    I'm gonna give you the same advice I've given a lot of other people: it's probably worth it to you to suck up the two extra bonus points, and get Seven-Shadows Evasion now, then have another skill be favored. Alternatively, since you seem to like Resistance, forget Dodge altogether, count on your Parry DV from Martial Arts (with Solar Hero's form charm, you can parry ranged attacks without stunting), go with Resistance as your favored instead, and aim for the perfect defense there (I think it's Iron Kettle Body).

With an Appearance of one, in a social-centric game, you will basically be someone's meat puppet in no time. The reason? For Social Combat, you roll an attack based on relevant skill + relevant attribute + bonuses. To defend, you have a static value called a "mental defense value." It's either (I'm doing this from memory, so I could be wrong): ([Manipulation or Charisma] + ability [highest of investigation, socialize, or presence, I think] + Essence)/2 (for your Parry MDV), or (Willpower + Integrity + Essence)/2. After you figure out that static value, you compare your Appearance to the Appearance of the person attacking you, and modify it by the difference. So, say my character were to attack you (I'm going to use my character because the values are right there on this page, and easy to compare and see where I'm getting the numbers from). Your Dodge MDV would be 5 (because you round that down) and your Parry MDV would be 5. So, you'd use your Dodge MDV. 5 is decent. Assuming I'm using Charisma + Performance, if I don't put any mustard on it, you'll successfully defend about half the time despite my having 5 dots in each. However, because your Appearance is 1, and my Appearance is four, your Dodge MDV gets reduced by three. Now your Dodge MDV is 2. Statistically, I'm going to rape you. If I want to put some mustard on it with the Second Performance Excellency, or by appealing to an Intimacy, statistically, it's possible for me to make it so you couldn't possibly successfully defend.

Now, say you want to attack me. You're trying to build an Intimacy towards you, and you know I've got a soft spot for nerdy types. So, you focus on my Intimacy for nerdy types (giving me a -2 to my MDV). You roll your Charisma + Socialize, and you roll really well, say 7 successes on your 7 dice (very possible with 10s counting double). I don't have my Integrity charms up, so my Dodge MDV is only 7. With that penalty, it drops it to 5. However, my Appearance is three dots higher than yours. So, I get a three-point bonus to my MDV, bumping it to 8. Despite a really good roll, and appealing to an Intimacy, you lose because of the Appearance difference.

Usually, you want to focus on either Charisma or Manipulation, have a decent one of those you don't use, and in a social game, I wouldn't recommend less than 3 dots of Appearance. There are a couple of Hearthstones that will bump your Appearance, though, and I can look those up tomorrow for you.

Finally, you should have something a little more specific for your Motivation. More of an attainable kind of goal, something huge, something that may take a long time, but something which you can potentially attain. Something like "become the greatest sorcerer in all of Creation" would be more appropriate (and not all that hard for a Twilight-Caste Solar post-Usurpation).

Thanatos on
  • Options
    KrataLightbladeKrataLightblade Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'd like to add to the above post by He Whose Name Changes Thrice A Week, not being exceptionally good at social combat is not always a terrible thing, but in a social game, you want to at the very least have a strong set of MDVs and be willing to, if necessary, back them up with Charms.

This is a game where I can literally tell the ST I'm entering social combat with you to convince you to do something you desperately want to refuse to do, and force you to do it regardless. This can be anything from "loaning" me a favored artifact (although admittedly, I'd have to come up with a plausible arguement for why I needed it) to joining an army (I can quite literally force you to grow an Intimacy to the army's goals, thus making you be truly loyal to it), to, if I'm willing to push you hard enough for long enough, even commit actions ranging to murdering your loved ones or betraying all you hold dear.

And all that si with natural mental influence, which essentially means I'm not using magical Compulsion effects. Throw in Compulsion effects and the only thing I can't force you to do is commit suicide, and frankly, if I were indoctrinating you into a death cult, I could probably convince you to do that, eventually.

Long story short, you want to be able to avoid these things, because otherwise, you're going to be hardcore fucked if you meet an Essence wielder determined to win you over. Best case scenario, it becomes a contest between your allies and the others to win your loyalty. Worst case scenario, we're not around to convince you otherwise and you betray us.

KrataLightblade on
    LEVEL 50 SWORD JUGGLER/WIZARD!
  • Options
    Inglorious CoyoteInglorious Coyote Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I got sort of an interesting problem with my character.

My character is basically the Spirit of Vengeance. Slave traders, drug lords, corrupt bureaucrats, tyrants, all fall under their eye. And one day my character will just appear, announce the evils said target has performed, then kill then fairly gruesomely as a warning to the rest of the world.

Now, the neat part is, everytime they appear to kill someone, they look different. Sometimes it's a heavily armed man who slaughters his way through the guards before taking their head. Sometimes it's woman who leaps from the rooftops and drives a blade through their heart before disappearing in the chaos.

But the funny part is, since my character will be able to look like anyone, I can't decide what I want them to look like for real :) Hell, I haven't decided if I want them to be male or female yet.

Inglorious Coyote on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Well, I changed some things around. Going to focus a bit more on sorcery than I was originally planning.
    Motivation: Also a placeholder

Cha: 2
    App: 3

Caste Abilities
    Craft:
    Medicine:
    Occult: 4

Favored Abilities
    Martial Arts: 3

Abilities
    Resistance: 1
    Awareness: 2

Background
    Contacts: 2
    Influence: 3

Charms
    Resistance: Body-Mending Meditation

Occult: Terrestial Circle Sorcery (Wood Dragon's Claw, Emerald Countermagic, Peacock Shadow Eyes); Spirit-Detecting Glance

Dodge: Shadow Over Water; Seven Shadow Evasion (Conviction Flaw)

Virtues

Intimacies:

2: +4 Favored/Caste Specialties
    1: +1 Occult
    1: +1 Dodge

I don't really care much for resistance, the core book just yelled about how you absolutely, positively had to take some charms like that. I'm also not really sure about Solar Hero Style, but I wanted at least one offensive charm so I wouldn't be cheering the circle on whenever shit went down. Maybe I'll get Mantis Style instead, I dunno, help me out here.

Hopefully I've balanced out my social combat skills a bit more here. Peacock Shadow Eyes should also work nicely for most purposes.

I kind of want to add a Manse into my background, as I can easily see myself running out of essence all the time. But the description of Manses in the corebook confuses the crap out of me, do I recover 5 motes/hour instead of 4 with a level 1 manse, or what? How about with a demanse?

Sorcery is a bit tricky too, I've combed the White/Black treatises for useful spells but most of them seem to do the same thing as regular charms but with three times the essence cost. What are generally the important things to pick up?

Rhaka on
  • Options
    Inglorious CoyoteInglorious Coyote Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Okay, here's the first draft of the mechanics side. I'm still debating a few of the background things.

Attributes
    Str 2 l Dex 5 l Sta 2
    Cha 2 l Man 2 l App 4
    Per 4 l Int 3 l Wits 4

Abilities
    Athletics 3
    Awareness 3
    Dodge 4
    Larceny 3
    Stealth 3
    Integrity 3
    Investigation 3
    Melee 3
    Presence 2
    Socialize 2

Virtues

Compassion 2 l Conviction 4
    Temperance 3 l Valor 2
    Virtue Flaw: Deliberate Cruelity

Willpower 7

Backgrounds
    Artifact 3 (Everyman Armor)
    Contacts 2
    Artifact 2 (Reaper Daiklave)

Charms
    Easily Overlooked Presence Method
    Shadow Over Water
    Seven Shadow Evasion
    Graceful Crane Stance
    Monkey Leap Technique
    2nd Investigation excellency
    Judge's Ear Technique
    2nd Integrity Excellency
    2nd Melee Excellency
    Hungry Tiger Technique

Inglorious Coyote on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    First Draft of the sheet. I BELIEVE I got everything right.

Let me know what you think, guys.

Name: Seranocis “Broken Gold” Exalt: Solar Caste: Dawn
    Player: Krata Height: 6’3” Motivation: Right Creation’s wrongs
    Chronicle: Weight: 235 lbs Anima: The Unchained God

Attributes
    Physical Social Mental
    Strength: 3 Charisma: 4 Perception: 2
    Dexterity: 4 Manipulation: 2 Intelligence: 2
    Stamina: 4 Appearance: 3 Wits: 3

Abilities
    Dawn Zenith Twilight
    Archery 3 Integrity 2 Craft -
    Martial Arts 3 Performance 1 Investigation -
    Melee 1 *Presence 2 Lore 1
    Thrown - *Resistance 3 Medicine -
    War 3 Survival - Occult -

Night Eclipse Specialties
    *Athletics 2 Bureaucracy 1 Firewands 2 (Archery)
    *Awareness 3 Linguistics -
    *Dodge 3 Ride -
    Larceny - Sail -
    Stealth - Socialize -

Backgrounds
    Allies: -
    Artifact: 3
    Backing: -
    Contacts: -
    Familiar: -
    Followers: 2
    Influence: -
    Manse: -
    Mentor: -

Advantages
    Charms
    Archery Excellency (First)
    Durability of Oak Meditation
    Hauberk-Lightening Guesture
    Integrity Excellency (First)
    Kiss of the Sun Concentration
    Ox-Body Technique (1 -1, 2 -2s)
    Presence Excellency (First)
    Temptation Resisting Stance
    Trance of Unhesitating Speed
    War Excellency (Second)
    Whirlwind Armor-Donning Prana

Attacks Speed Acc Damage Rate R/D Tags
    Firewand: 5 +1 12L 1 10 2, F, S
    Straight Sword 4 +2 +3L 2 +1 -

Essence: 3 Personal: 16 (16) Peripheral: 32 (36)
    Willpower: 7 Committed: 4

Virtues Limit: -
    Compassion: 1 Dodge DV 5 (4)
    Conviction: 3 Parry DV (straight sword) 3
    Temperance: 2 Soak 16B/13L
    Valor: 4 Flaw: Foolhardy Contempt
    Dodge MDV: 6

Anima Banner
    Seran’s anima banner is the “Unchained God”, an image of a large, burly man, with shattered chains hanging from broken manacles at his wrists, shining with the golden light of the Unconquered Sun.

Artifacts
    Orichalcum Reinforced Breastplate (+12B/+11L soak, 6B/6L Hardness, Mobility -1, Fatigue 1)
    Found after Exaltation, on the journey south.

Bonus Points Spent
    Charm (Kiss of the Sun concentration, 4 points)
    Essence (7 points)
    Martial Arts (1 point)
    Valor (3 points)

Followers
    Fifteen soldiers, divided into three five-man units each with a sergeant. One lieutenant, one cook, two servants, one quartermaster

Motivation
    Seran’s Motivation is to search out and right the most grievous wrongs in Creation, including the spawning of Shadowlands, the Usurpation, the hundreds of years of rule of the Scarlet Empress, the coming of the Abyssals, and any other obstacle to the Solars returning to their rightful power and glory.

Resources
    Primarily stocked money made from having worked small mercenary jobs in the past.

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    One thing you might want to keep in mind is I believe perfect defenses work for social attacks as well

I would drop that extra charm (Kiss of the Sun conc) and use some of your bonus points to up some of your abilities. None of them above three makes for a pretty uninspiring Solar (this is in my opinion)

Based on your spread of abilities I don't see you really representing the Solar Awesome, just Solar Mediocrity

just one observer's humble opinion of course (and what's with your aversion to perfects Krata D:)

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Well, I changed some things around. Going to focus a bit more on sorcery than I was originally planning.
    Motivation: Also a placeholder

Cha: 2
    App: 3

Caste Abilities
    Craft:
    Medicine:
    Occult: 4

Favored Abilities
    Martial Arts: 3

Abilities
    Resistance: 1
    Awareness: 2

Background
    Contacts: 2
    Influence: 3

Charms
    Resistance: Body-Mending Meditation

Occult: Terrestial Circle Sorcery (Wood Dragon's Claw, Emerald Countermagic, Peacock Shadow Eyes); Spirit-Detecting Glance

Dodge: Shadow Over Water; Seven Shadow Evasion (Conviction Flaw)

Virtues

Intimacies:

2: +4 Favored/Caste Specialties
    1: +1 Occult
    1: +1 Dodge

I don't really care much for resistance, the core book just yelled about how you absolutely, positively had to take some charms like that. I'm also not really sure about Solar Hero Style, but I wanted at least one offensive charm so I wouldn't be cheering the circle on whenever shit went down. Maybe I'll get Mantis Style instead, I dunno, help me out here.

Hopefully I've balanced out my social combat skills a bit more here. Peacock Shadow Eyes should also work nicely for most purposes.

I kind of want to add a Manse into my background, as I can easily see myself running out of essence all the time. But the description of Manses in the corebook confuses the crap out of me, do I recover 5 motes/hour instead of 4 with a level 1 manse, or what? How about with a demanse?

Sorcery is a bit tricky too, I've combed the White/Black treatises for useful spells but most of them seem to do the same thing as regular charms but with three times the essence cost. What are generally the important things to pick up?
    If you don't want to take Resistance charms, then don't. The perfect defense will keep you alive well enough.

Here's the deal with Manse: a Hearthstone from a manse that you're attuned to will give you twice the manse's rating in essence per hour. If you stick it in an artifact with a Hearthstone setting that you're attuned to, it'll give you whatever ability it has, too.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    One thing you might want to keep in mind is I believe perfect defenses work for social attacks as well

I would drop that extra charm (Kiss of the Sun conc) and use some of your bonus points to up some of your abilities. None of them above three makes for a pretty uninspiring Solar (this is in my opinion)

Based on your spread of abilities I don't see you really representing the Solar Awesome, just Solar Mediocrity

just one observer's humble opinion of course (and what's with your aversion to perfects Krata D:)

I don't have an aversion to perfect defenses. But to get one requires a significant investment in Charms.

I mean, I could, theoretically, take ten Charms out of the ARchery and Righteous Devil Form trees, and nothing else, and be pretty awesome, except that if I then wouldn't be able to do anything else.

So, I've got three bases to cover with this character. He has to be a leader of men, a physical combatant, and a social combatant. That means he's got a broad basis to cover with his opening points, but he'll rapidly get better at all three.

The issue here is that he's not effectively matching what I want to actually do with him. The ideal was to try to go with the Righteous Devil style and that sorta thing, but I'm seriously thinking of dropping that entirely and going for something less "you need a crapton of things to make it work well."

The real problem is that it's been made clear that Social Combat will factor in really heavily. And rather than having an Eclipse Caste to handle the brunt of it and just having to be competant, I'm likely to have to do a whole lot of it m'self.

I'm deciding now whether to drop the Righteous Devil thing and just go with a big sword, axe, or hammer or something instead. Suggestions?

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Since this is going to be primarily PbP(afaik) is there any way I can get in on this or are we full up? I always have enough time to make a couple of posts a day, and while I do have a campaign to ST, I wanna play!

Rainfall on
  • Options
    Anthrax! Please.Anthrax! Please. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Game is full ups.

However, as a rule, I tend to put GMs of other games at the top of the 'wait-list', which at this point includes PantheraOnca, and Greycoin at the moment.

So if anyone feels overwhelmed or intends to drop, I'll add the others in as we go. As stated in my initial roster post I am adding an RL friend who may or may not show up later, because he's leaving for a long time from my townarea, so...

Anthrax! Please. on
  • Options
    DigitoDigito Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I don't really know my way around the castes, and about all I know of the kinds of exalted is that "Solar = Wtfawesome", but... at present I'm torn mostly between some kind of ultra fast martial artist and some kind of "AHAHAHA UNLIMITED POWER" sorcerer, though I'm not sure exactly how either would work...

Being as this is a social heavy game and I'd rather my character not wind up convinced to throw himself off of a cliff or something, is it still possible to achive an insane level of hax while having your social abilities at least high enough to defend yourself in a battle of words? Given that I'm not sure on the exact mechanics of character creation or limitations, I'd hate to start thinking of a character who's too powerful. I've gathered that either way though, somebody with a good grasp of the legendary force known as "Common Sense" would be a Very Good Thing?

Digito on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Don't worry about being vulnerable to social attacks if you leave your social traits low. Spending a point of willpower is enough to negate most social effects, although a few charms will require more than that.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Digito wrote: »
    Given that I'm not sure on the exact mechanics of character creation or limitations, I'd hate to start thinking of a character who's too powerful.

With Exalted, I don't even know that such a concept is possible at character creation.

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Here's the updated notes for Backgrounds, Virtue Flaw, and Limit Break. Do they make sense? Appropriate?

General Background : He was a member of a wealthy family that intended to follow his father's footsteps and work in the local government. His Exaltation was tied into witnessing and realizing the plight of the poverty stricken lower class. He gave up his wealth and posessions, using the position he gained in the government to spread his message. Things did not go well, until he made a breakthrough when his father died. His hometown has become the center of his cult, and he exerts more power than his official position would lead the uninformed to believe.
    Backgrounds 7
    Backing : 1 (home territory government)
    Cult : 2 (hometown)
    Followers : 2 (5 servants, 5 recruiters, 10 bodyguards)
    Influence : 2 (religious leader, small position in home government)

Virtue Flaw : Compassion - witnesses lower class suffering
    Limit Break : Diverts full attention to immediately attempting to reverse the situation, ignoring danger or consequences and only taking the fastest path to achieve this goal. Examples...giving away or selling important items in exchange for insanely little return...ordering the full strength of his backing/cult/followers to solve a problem that is unimportant in relation to others being focused on...resorting to theivery, assault, or murder in order to provide food or shelter immediately.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    OK, so here's what I have on her sheet so far. No, it's not even close to being done, but I want to show that I am making progress! I still have to figure out the details of Chandra's backgrounds, as well as virtues and bonus points, etc etc.

but yeah, here's where i'm at so far. will update some more when i get it done.
    Chandra Ishra
    Changing Moon Lunar
    5’11
    150 lbs
    Motivation: to return the Solars to their rightful places, and to ensure the Lunar’s place beside them.
    Spirit Shape: Black and White Osprey, wings spread and head raised in a cry of defiance
    Tell: Pure white hair with a black undertone or shadow

Physical:
    Str 2, Dex 3, Stam 2

Social:
    *Char 4, *Man 3, *App 4

Mental:
    +Perc 3, Int, 4, Wits 3

+Martial Arts 3
    Integrity 1
    Presence 2
    Resistance 2
    +Survival 2
    Lore 2
    Awareness 3
    Stealth 2
    Bureaucracy 2
    Linguistics 2
    Socialize 2

Artifact 2
    Hearts Blood 2
    Solar Bond 2
    Tattoo Artifact 1

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

I don't have an aversion to perfect defenses. But to get one requires a significant investment in Charms.

I mean, I could, theoretically, take ten Charms out of the ARchery and Righteous Devil Form trees, and nothing else, and be pretty awesome, except that if I then wouldn't be able to do anything else.

So, I've got three bases to cover with this character. He has to be a leader of men, a physical combatant, and a social combatant. That means he's got a broad basis to cover with his opening points, but he'll rapidly get better at all three.

The issue here is that he's not effectively matching what I want to actually do with him. The ideal was to try to go with the Righteous Devil style and that sorta thing, but I'm seriously thinking of dropping that entirely and going for something less "you need a crapton of things to make it work well."

The real problem is that it's been made clear that Social Combat will factor in really heavily. And rather than having an Eclipse Caste to handle the brunt of it and just having to be competant, I'm likely to have to do a whole lot of it m'self.

I'm deciding now whether to drop the Righteous Devil thing and just go with a big sword, axe, or hammer or something instead. Suggestions?
    Perfect defenses do not, in fact, work on Social Attacks. Perfect Social Defenses, however, do. There are a couple of them (Elusive Dream Defense is the only one that comes immediately to mind). The easiest Perfect Defense to hit is Seven Shadows Evasion. Requires a Dodge of 4 and only one prerequisite charm.

Honestly, Eclipse Caste aren't really that much better at Social Combat than any other Caste that chooses to specialize. Yeah, they can pick up Spirit charms, but that really applies to making them better at everything. Beyond that, they get a couple of neat special abilities, and two Social Combat Caste Abilities, but Zenith Caste get three Social Combat Caste Abilities (debatably, the best one, if not the two or three best ones), and once you've got an Eclipse in the party, a second one really doesn't help things. Do you really need two guys who can sanctify oaths, or grant diplomatic immunity?

As far as combat goes, that's entirely up to you, Krata. Righteous Devil Style is damn cool, but so are the melee charms.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Here's the updated notes for Backgrounds, Virtue Flaw, and Limit Break. Do they make sense? Appropriate?

General Background : He was a member of a wealthy family that intended to follow his father's footsteps and work in the local government. His Exaltation was tied into witnessing and realizing the plight of the poverty stricken lower class. He gave up his wealth and posessions, using the position he gained in the government to spread his message. Things did not go well, until he made a breakthrough when his father died. His hometown has become the center of his cult, and he exerts more power than his official position would lead the uninformed to believe.
    Backgrounds 7
    Backing : 1 (home territory government)
    Cult : 2 (hometown)
    Followers : 2 (5 servants, 5 recruiters, 10 bodyguards)
    Influence : 2 (religious leader, small position in home government)

Virtue Flaw : Compassion - witnesses lower class suffering
    Limit Break : Diverts full attention to immediately attempting to reverse the situation, ignoring danger or consequences and only taking the fastest path to achieve this goal. Examples...giving away or selling important items in exchange for insanely little return...ordering the full strength of his backing/cult/followers to solve a problem that is unimportant in relation to others being focused on...resorting to theivery, assault, or murder in order to provide food or shelter immediately.
    You really need to comment more on him going out and finding lower classes to help in his Limit Break. Just because he's Limit Breaking doesn't mean it's because he saw a bunch of lower classes suffering; odds are, in fact, that he ended up having to burn too much Willpower in Social Combat.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I don't really understand what you mean. It says you have to give a prime condition that would cause the Break. Right? And what I've got there is just a guideline or summary. I really don't know what else I should be putting down.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I don't really understand what you mean. It says you have to give a prime condition that would cause the Break. Right? And what I've got there is just a guideline or summary. I really don't know what else I should be putting down.
    Well, there's a prime condition that would cause the Break, but you also get limit for doing things like spending Willpower when in Social Combat. So, if you just decide to resist the guy telling you that you should accept the treaty as-is, in spite of the limited concessions from Lookshy, and that puts you into Limit Break, what exactly are you going to reverse?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Well, if I'm understanding this properly...if there was a Break, he'd probably interpret the treaty as unfairly burdening the poor people. And decide to offer up an unreasonable amount of concessions, his own/others property, or try to cut the deal so it harms someone innocent in order to benefit the poor. Or maybe attempt to harm/kill the other side in negotiations in order to get his way. Is that close...?

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Well, if I'm understanding this properly...if there was a Break, he'd probably interpret the treaty as unfairly burdening the poor people. And decide to offer up an unreasonable amount of concessions, his own/others property, or try to cut the deal so it harms someone innocent in order to benefit the poor. Or maybe attempt to harm/kill the other side in negotiations in order to get his way. Is that close...?
    Not really. Your Break condition is one thing that can cause you to get limit. Anytime you're in Social Combat, though, regardless of what it is about, where you resist an attack by using Willpower, you get Limit, whether or not it has anything at all to do with your Virtue Flaw.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    on the topic of 'I want to be able to do other stuff'

Having that perfect defense enables you to not die and thus gain XP which you can spend on other stuff

and like, er, Thanatos/Moe Fwacky/...Faggy Toes has said, seven shadows evasion is incredibly easy to get, requiring one bonus point if you have dodge favored and two charms. That leaves 8 to do whatever the hell you want, whether that be spending them all on the charms that allow you to get Wyld-Shaping Technique, or crawl down the Righteous Devil style, or Hungry Ghost, or Earth Dragon, or whatever your shtick is

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    ok, so here's my question.

I'm trying to think of an artifact, but Krata and I don't appear to have access to the books that we would need.

Here's the general idea.

I'm looking for an artifact that would make something unassuming be not so. For example:

Chandra's clothing would appear to be made of silks and the like, but actually be sophisticated armor.either they are actually made ffrom silk and the artifact causes them to become hardened like armor when attacked, or they're made from a hard material that the artifact causes to look, feel, move, sound like silk.

My question is, is this possible, does it exist, and what would it cost for something like that?

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Faggy Toes wrote: »
    Anytime you're in Social Combat, though, regardless of what it is about, where you resist an attack by using Willpower, you get Limit, whether or not it has anything at all to do with your Virtue Flaw.

Alright, I don't get what you're wanting me to do. You want me to further define my Virtue Flaw and Limit Break, but then you're telling me that they have nothing to do with the situation you're describing.

All of the examples of Limit Breaks look like direct reactions to things that would prompt their Virtue Flaws to flare up. But you're telling me to think of a Limit Break for...when...the Limit fills up but their Virtue Flaw is in no way involved? I don't know how to do that. I don't know how the two concepts can be always linked in the book, but you're telling me to consider one completely separate now.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Sup my AIM is CanadianVillain.

I'm less willing to give out my MSN but you can PM me for that one if you'd like it.

That said, I love making artifacts and I think it's a lot of the fun for me and for the characters. So chat with me about it if you want something above and beyond the basic artifacts (and chat with me if you intend to use anything from O's Codex because I don't know most of it).

Your artifact is easily possible, but we ought to hash out the details on chats if you're down widdat.
    Anytime you're in Social Combat, though, regardless of what it is about, where you resist an attack by using Willpower, you get Limit, whether or not it has anything at all to do with your Virtue Flaw.

Alright, I don't get what you're wanting me to do. You want me to further define my Virtue Flaw and Limit Break, but then you're telling me that they have nothing to do with the situation you're describing.

All of the examples of Limit Breaks look like direct reactions to things that would prompt their Virtue Flaws to flare up. But you're telling me to think of a Limit Break for...when...the Limit fills up but their Virtue Flaw is in no way involved? I don't know how to do that. I don't know how the two concepts can be always linked in the book, but you're telling me to consider one completely separate now.

He's quite right, Reynolds. Limit Break has multiple triggers, one of which is resisting natural mental influence. The primary trigger is of course your virtue and it's relevant Virtue Flaw condition, but you also gain one point any time you spend a will to resist a natural mental influence (there's a max, one per scene? per story?). Thanatos is simply wondering what your outlet will be if you are driven to limit break in a social situation where your flaw cannot take the immediate manifestations that you typically describe.

Verdict: We'll cross that bridge if we come to it. Just keep in mind what Than is saying.

Anthrax! Please. on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Sup my AIM is CanadianVillain.

I'm less willing to give out my MSN but you can PM me for that one if you'd like it.

That said, I love making artifacts and I think it's a lot of the fun for me and for the characters. So chat with me about it if you want something above and beyond the basic artifacts (and chat with me if you intend to use anything from O's Codex because I don't know most of it).

Your artifact is easily possible, but we ought to hash out the details on chats if you're down widdat.
    I hope you know I took your word at that (I crafted up a cool artifact weapon for my character; should be balanced just fine).

And I apologize for not finishing up my character. Should have it done tonight (I had a friend in town Saturday/Sunday, my RL gaming session Monday, then Super Tuesday yesterday).

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Cool. Cool.

Also, fun fact: I appreciate theme music if you have any for your character. It gives me a tone and mood to go with appropriate backstory.

And since I just got hired at a job that is going to probably devour my face in terms of time, I am really not sure when I'll be starting this up. Within the next two weeks surely. I kind of have to have life settle just a little bit.

Anthrax! Please. on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Seranocis, 2.0. I did take some people's advice, although I didn't take the SSE perfect defense everyone loves. I took the Heavenly Guardian Defense instead, because it just seemed more appropriate, and I want to go down the Melee trees. I actually dropped Dodge entirely, because I'm using an artifact weapon and Heavenly Guardian Defense can block even unblockable attacks, so I'm good there. And heck, I've even got Elusive Dream Defense to save me from social assaults if necessary.

Feedback would be appreciated. Also, I hope to round him out a bit more rather dramatically in play. I left him at Essence 2 for now, because I ran out of bonus points. I'm pretty sure I did all my math right this time as well.

I truly hope to find better artifacts in play, at least in terms of armor. *L* But anyhow, let me know whether this works a little better.

Asterisks denote Favored skills.

Also, being from the East, should I make him taller? *L*

Name: Seranocis “Broken Gold” Exalt: Solar Caste: Dawn
    Player: Krata Height: 6’3” Motivation: Right Creation’s wrongs
    Chronicle: Weight: 235 lbs Anima: The Unchained God

Attributes
    Physical Social Mental
    Strength: 4 Charisma: 4 Perception: 3
    Dexterity: 4 Manipulation: 2 Intelligence: 2
    Stamina: 4 Appearance: 3 Wits: 2

Abilities
    Dawn Zenith Twilight
    Archery - *Integrity 4 Craft -
    Martial Arts - Performance 3 Investigation -
    Melee 5 *Presence 4 Lore 1
    Thrown - *Resistance 2 Medicine -
    War 3 Survival 1 Occult -

Night Eclipse Specialties
    *Athletics 3 Bureaucracy -
    *Awareness 3 Linguistics 1
    Dodge - Ride 1
    Larceny - Sail -
    Stealth - Socialize -

Backgrounds
    Allies: -
    Artifact: 5
    Backing: -
    Contacts: -
    Familiar: -
    Followers: 2
    Influence: -
    Manse: -
    Mentor: -

Advantages
    Charms
    Dipping Swallow Defense
    Bulwark Stance
    Elusive Dream Defense
    Heavenly Guardian Defense (Conviction flaw)
    Integrity Excellency (First)
    Melee Excellency (First)
    Mob-Dispersing Rebuke
    War Excellency (Second)
    Whirlwind Armor-Donning Prana

Attacks Speed Acc Damage Rate Defense Tags
    Grimcleaver 5 +3 +12L/4 3 +1 O

Essence: 2 Personal: 13 (13) Peripheral: 22 (31)
    Willpower: 7 Committed: 9

Virtues Limit: -
    Compassion: 1 Dodge DV 3
    Conviction: 3 Parry DV (Grimcleaver) 5
    Temperance: 2 Soak 15B/12L
    Valor: 4 Hardness: 6B/6L
    Dodge MDV: 6 Virtue Flaw: Foolhardy Contempt

Anima Banner
    Seran’s anima banner is the “Unchained God”, an image of a large, burly man, with shattered chains hanging from broken manacles at his wrists, shining with the golden light of the Unconquered Sun.

Artifacts
    Collar of the Dawn’s Cleansing (*, One mote, Seranocis is always clean)
    Orichacum Lamellar (**, 3 Motes, armor)
    Orichalcum Grimcleaver (**, 5 Motes, weapon)

Bonus Points Spent
    Artifact (3 to 5, 4 points)
    Dexterity (3 to 4, 4 points)
    Integrity (3 to 4, 1 points)
    Melee (3 to 5, 2 points)
    Presence (3 to 4, 1 point)
    Valor (3 to 4, 3 points)

Followers
    Fifteen soldiers, divided into three five-man units each with a sergeant, plus one lieutenant, one cook, two servants, one quartermaster

Linguistics
    Natural language: Riverspeak
    Flamespeak

Motivation
    Seran’s Motivation is to search out and right the most grievous wrongs in Creation, including the spawning of Shadowlands, the Usurpation, the hundreds of years of rule of the Scarlet Empress, the coming of the Abyssals, and any other obstacle to the Solars returning to their rightful power and glory.

Resources
    Primarily stocked money made from having worked small mercenary jobs in the past.

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I'll look more closely later, but fun fact: you don't have Artifact 5; you have Artifact 1, Artifact 2, and Artifact 2. The difference? 2 bonus points in your favor.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I'll look more closely later, but fun fact: you don't have Artifact 5; you have Artifact 1, Artifact 2, and Artifact 2. The difference? 2 bonus points in your favor.

Ooh. For some reason I thought I had to buy all three.

Sweet. That means I might be able to upgrade the weapon and armor by a dot each. *L* Or, alternately, boost some other stuff. I'll hafta think about it.

KrataLightblade on