Options

Looks like more people will learn guitar

2»

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Butters wrote: »
    Man... I keep trying to learn chords on my guitar, but I suck so badly. It's discouraging.

I know I'm supposed to suck, but I can barely keep my fingers from accidentally touching strings they aren't supposed to.

Probably because you are trying to learn chords too early. You should learn songs with single notes first and stick with that for a while. Once each individual finger gets strong enough to hold strings down the right way chords become more possible.

Not that I am an expert or anything. That's just what my friends who play tell me and it sounds logical to me.

Eh, I started out completely with chords. Just pick two or three easy chords like E or A2. These are simple chords (A2 is simply an A while lifting the pinky) that go well together, so you can practice your rhythm and still strengthen your fingers.

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Power chords aren't a bad way to start if you just need practice switching between chords

Veegeezee on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    tugga wrote: »
    i dont think this will change much

i mean, we already have tabs and tab software.. this is just making it look prettier

you still have to play the guitar you know

No it can actually track your timing and help you better learn what you are doing wrong. Software without input can't achieve that.

The problem with me and guitar is that I don't have the time to dedicate hours upon hours to it every day and I don't have anyone to teach me.

The hope for this software is that it will take a few of the roles a teacher would.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    do they have one for trombone

I would play this.

Not rusty, mind you.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    monsterrormonsterror HEY ASSBUTT Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    How do you know what fret to play on.

I can only tell how to know what string.

monsterror on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

i mean, we already have tabs and tab software.. this is just making it look prettier

No it can actually track your timing and help you better learn what you are doing wrong. Software without input can't achieve that.

The problem with me and guitar is that I don't have the time to dedicate hours upon hours to it every day and I don't have anyone to teach me.

The hope for this software is that it will take a few of the roles a teacher would.
    Dude, just grab a book or two, set your homepage to metronomeonline.com, and give it 30 minutes a day.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited February 2008
    monsterror wrote: »
    How do you know what fret to play on.

I can only tell how to know what string.

the fret number is on the colored circle

hard to tell in the poor quality video, but it's there

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Dude, just grab a book or two, set your homepage to metronomeonline.com, and give it 30 minutes a day.

I like interactive software that utilizes analog input. Is that so wrong?

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ten0101 wrote: »
    This looks much better than Guitar Wizard which I saw video of from CES, that thing looked nuts

I tried to learn guitar a few times but I got too frustrated with buzzing and/or dead notes from my mis-fingering

My fingers are too stubby or something to be able to hold onto the frets properly or something
    OK, I just suck but I'm hanging onto the stubby fingers excuse so I don't feel so bad

sounds like a finger strength issue, I have relatively long/thin fingers, but my ring finger is kind of weak and it makes it harder to fret properly without getting real close to the fret.

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    Man... I keep trying to learn chords on my guitar, but I suck so badly. It's discouraging.

I know I'm supposed to suck, but I can barely keep my fingers from accidentally touching strings they aren't supposed to.

Probably because you are trying to learn chords too early. You should learn songs with single notes first and stick with that for a while. Once each individual finger gets strong enough to hold strings down the right way chords become more possible.

Not that I am an expert or anything. That's just what my friends who play tell me and it sounds logical to me.

Eh, I started out completely with chords. Just pick two or three easy chords like E or A2. These are simple chords (A2 is simply an A while lifting the pinky) that go well together, so you can practice your rhythm and still strengthen your fingers.

horse with no name

over and over

for days on end

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    TenTen Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    ZeroFill wrote: »
    Ten0101 wrote: »
    This looks much better than Guitar Wizard which I saw video of from CES, that thing looked nuts

I tried to learn guitar a few times but I got too frustrated with buzzing and/or dead notes from my mis-fingering

My fingers are too stubby or something to be able to hold onto the frets properly or something
    OK, I just suck but I'm hanging onto the stubby fingers excuse so I don't feel so bad

sounds like a finger strength issue, I have relatively long/thin fingers, but my ring finger is kind of weak and it makes it harder to fret properly without getting real close to the fret.

I'm pretty good at Guitar Hero though.

That sounds stupid but I mean I don't have any problem using my ring or pinky finger accurately, I probably try to use too much force to hold the frets down on a real guitar though as well, I find it difficult to keep my first knuckle straight when I'm trying to play chords

I haven't even tried to play in years though, I actually want to learn piano as I think I'm better suited for that, not just in my hands and dexterity but in the way I think about the music

Ten on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I don't know what exactly you mean by keeping your first knuckle straight, but it sounds wrong.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The downside is that uncool people are going to learn to play guitar as well, which will totally throw off the balance of the social class system.

I'm pretty sure there are already uncool people playing guitar.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Why do I want to learn guitar? I'm a boy! From the suburbs! It's my destiny.

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    My fingers hurt.

I'VE GOT BLISTERS ON ME FINGERS!

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    naporeon wrote: »
    mully wrote: »
    i had this idea a year ago
    whoops
    Congratulations.

That means you were in the third 100,000 people to think of it, rather than the fourth.

WAY TO GO

Nap, I can't figure out where in this post she's supposed to click to claim her free ipod.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Jordyn wrote: »
    The downside is that uncool people are going to learn to play guitar as well, which will totally throw off the balance of the social class system.

I'm pretty sure there are already uncool people playing guitar.

It's cool, Jordyn. I've already got it covered.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Meiz wrote: »
    Well people who play guitar hero over this don't really have an excuse anymore.

Other then money.
    Learning an instrument isn't as fun as people make it out to be. You have to be motivated, and you either need some talent or some serious dedication if you want to be more than a mediocre player.

That said, if you already rock at GH consider picking up the piano or a wind instrument, because mechanically, playing the GH guitar translates really well to those two.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I'm sure plenty of people have fun just being mediocre.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Just playing one three-note Electric Wizard riff is pretty fun, imo

the problem was that the frustrating challenge of being to play anything beyond that was distinctly unfun

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    Grandaddy DeliciousGrandaddy Delicious Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    ZeroFill wrote: »
    Vann Diras wrote: »

horse with no name

over and over

for days on end

hahahaha yeah, when i first got my guitar (like four years ago) that's the song that came up first when I google'd "Easiest guitar song EVER"

Grandaddy Delicious on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    it's good because you can get the basic rhythm and temp of a song down, get used to chord changes and still have it sound like the actual song, but you can keep adding and building and raising the complexity until you're really playing it.

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    TenTen Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I don't know what exactly you mean by keeping your first knuckle straight, but it sounds wrong.

It's kind of like my finger bends backward a bit from that first joint from the end, meaning I have more of my actual finger touching the guitar and therefore brushing against the other strings.

I know I'm retarded at it which is why I've never seriously tried to learn. Piano will be more my thing.

I actually took lessons in both piano and guitar when I was younger, but have forgotten most of what I learnt, I quit after 6 months of each. I kind of which my parents had been a bit more hardassed about that, but they let me do what I wanted and I wanted to play video games instead of go out and learn an instrument.

Ten on