Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    the third word I spoke was octopus

and they fucking terrify me

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    the whole "sandboxy, don't know what to do next" issue is apparently something they are focusing on a lot to mend in Spore. Seriously, if you haven't read the interviews yet, you owe it to yourself. Wright is really working witha great team and working very hard to see his vision come to fruition.

The whole aquatic level between single-cell and land-based appears to have been removed, though, which is a shame. Probably see it in an expansion, but still, I was looking forward to that.

Really? Boo-urns
    180px-The_Simpsons-Hans_Moleman.png

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Cuttlefish? More like cuddlefish.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Okay, this guy on a chat channel is saying how sure he is Spore will suck.

I need to shut him up and make him eat his cock.

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    TheidarTheidar Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I wish you could make air based creatures. No Slylandro for me :(

All sending out malfunctioning death drones.

"Wewewewewewe WE COME IN PEACE"

Theidar on
    Gamertag: Theidar
    Wii Friend Code: 0072 4984 2399 2126
    PSN ID : Theidar
    Facebook
    Behold the annhilation of the extraterrestrial and the rise of the machines.
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    TenTen Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Oh man, so excited to hear there is finally a release date for Spore, I'm looking forward to this game nearly as much as Rock Band

I'm not creative enough though, my creatures and buildings will probably all end up being based off things that are lying around on my desk

Pen shaped creatures living in beer bottle houses flying around in telephone ships

Ten on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    SirToasty wrote: »
    Scientists actually do say that octopi and their tentacled brethren will probably inherit the earth from mammals, being that they are so smart and adapt easily.

And are cool.
    Fried calamari is pretty damn delicious.

The biggest obstacle after us keeping the octopus down is the fact that most of them live about one year.

The females literally protect their eggs until they hatch, which means they literally starve to death for something like 6 weeks and when the babies leave, they kind of float, barely alive until something eats them.

sarukun on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] new member
    edited February 2008
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    if i ever see an octopus use a tool i will shit my pants
    they do

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    http://www.thecephalopodpage.org/behavior.php

someone get teefs some depends

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I take issue with the "modifying" water.

sarukun on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] new member
    edited February 2008
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    jidarjidar Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Man... I got a bad feeling about this.

As much as I want to play something unique and have a blast with it, Spore to me has all the makings of a let down.
    'm just having a hard time figuring out what it is you do in this Game. I mean I know you design a creature but then what? Am I going to design it and then sit there and watch it eat?

Also, it's an A-life game and everytime someone makes an A-Life game it sounds cool as hell until you play it. Anyone remember Creatures? Black & White?
    Not trying to piss in anyones cheerioes here but until someone actually manages to make an a-life game that is fun you should be cautiously optimistic at best.

jidar on
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I've played it, and I can 100% say that I enjoyed the ever-loving shit out of it.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    jidar wrote: »

As much as I want to play something unique and have a blast with it, Spore to me has all the makings of a let down.
    'm just having a hard time figuring out what it is you do in this Game. I mean I know you design a creature but then what? Am I going to design it and then sit there and watch it eat?

Also, it's an A-life game and everytime someone makes an A-Life game it sounds cool as hell until you play it. Anyone remember Creatures? Black & White?
    Not trying to piss in anyones cheerioes here but until someone actually manages to make an a-life game that is fun you should be cautiously optimistic at best.

Yeah, not that at all.

There's tons of materials out there on the gameplay, you should take a look around and do some research.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    jidar wrote: »

So from the sounds of things you don't know dick about the game.

sarukun on
  • Options
    jidarjidar Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    well there are probably videos I haven't seen, but there are quite a few I have.

The creature editor looks neat, but I don't see how much of a game that is, I can't see myself spending hours in that thing. As for the open world.. well I haven't seen much there that looks very gameish. I saw Will Wright show a demonstration where he created a creature in the editor, walked it around a bit, ate an egg, then mated and went back to the creature editor.

The open world part is where I would expect the game to be, but so far all I've seen is videos of creatures walking around and sometimes they might fight each other by clicking on them. I find it pretty neat and interesting that the world might be populated by all kinds of wierd and neat creatures that have very complex AI and A-Life going on behind the scenes, but at the end of the day what am I doing that makes it a fun game? Just walking my little dude around and then rebuilding him in the editor? I say that because so far that's all I've seen, if you have something else I'd like to see it.

jidar on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    So you saw a very short stage of the game that showed the game at the "animal" level of game play.

The "Civilization" and "Galactic Civilization" tiers of game play play like Civilization and Galactic Civilizations, respectively.

You've seen approximately 1/5th of the game, and you haven't seen much of it at that. Go to the webstie.

sarukun on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You know one thing I hope. I hope that cities aren't limited to like Hook points.

"This planet can support up to 5 major cities, and 1 capital. And those cities must be located here, here, here, here, and here. Oh, and capital can only go here."

I mean, fuck, I want entire city planets. Even better, entire INDUSTRY planets.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    That's an area of detail I really don't know spit about.

sarukun on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited February 2008
    some of you people are getting way too worked up about this.

will it be an amazing game? yes. Will you be able to sculpt the planet so it looks like mario's face at the beginning of Super Mario 64? Probably not. Will you be able to have a seventy-thousand-armed monster that is thirty feet tall and fires flaming hamburgers out of its many anuses? Not likely. Is this something to get worked up about? No. Trust Wright to put together a decent product, read the material that is already out and stop projecting your every damn wish onto this game. Just enjoy it for what we already know is in it and the rest will be surprises.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    well rank you must admit the game has been hyped out the ass

they showed it at nasa for god's sake

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I'm sure I'll play it about as much as I played Civ 4, and eventually get bored with it, same as any other game.

But it's breaking some new ground, and I appreciate that.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    i want to create an empire of black octupii with red glowing eyes that enslave worlds

can i do this

Faricazy on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited February 2008
    I pick up civ 4 about every couple months and play the shit out of it for a week straight

started a new campaign last night, actually. Wanted to try using culture and religion to overtake cities, but it wasn't long before I was just doing the old military railroad I always resort to in order to make some room. Fuck you, Japan and France, them cities is mine now.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited February 2008
    i need to finish skate

i am dang awful at these video challenges

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    well rank you must admit the game has been hyped out the ass

they showed it at nasa for god's sake

how did god benefit from it being shown at nasa?

and yeah, it's been hyped a lot, and for good reason. EA has a shitload of money going into it, this is forming a whole new AAA franchise for them, why wouldn't they hype the fuck out of it?

I just get frustrated with folks that get their hopes up about features that they are entirely imagining that have never been mentioned once, and then get all butthurt when the game is released and it isn't the second coming of whatever fucking ridiculous game they're jacking off to with the lube of nostalgia.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    TheidarTheidar Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I totally use nostalgia lube to jack off to Star Control II on a regular basis. Its less messy than hand lotion.

Theidar on
    Gamertag: Theidar
    Wii Friend Code: 0072 4984 2399 2126
    PSN ID : Theidar
    Facebook
    Behold the annhilation of the extraterrestrial and the rise of the machines.
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    by the way

http://youtube.com/watch?v=V5TXEUiR1Xk

robin williams

i love this so much

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    http://www.joystiq.com/2008/02/20/gdc08-spore-producer-talks-user-generated-content/

so you can pretty much customize everything

everything

i'm gonna make cylons

Faricazy on
  • Options
    Darkblade_1Darkblade_1 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    I was gunna make smurfs.. whole 9 yards. Mushroom houses and everything

Darkblade_1 on
    iveseenvivstits.gif
    You're drawn to my eccentric Brawl Code: 4596 9143 4529
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    oh my god - an entire race that looks like the veggie tale freaks

god I'd love to see them get messily devoured by a lumbering carnivore

this game just gets better and better

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    the sad thing is we're all lying

the first race we will all make is a sentient race of dancing dongs

and since the game is online, once we venture out into space in our dongships, we will meet our comrades and form a giant dong empire

Faricazy on
  • Options
    Darkblade_1Darkblade_1 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    I mean, shit, they made carebears.. why can't I do smurfs?

Darkblade_1 on
    iveseenvivstits.gif
    You're drawn to my eccentric Brawl Code: 4596 9143 4529
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Faricazy wrote: »

and since the game is online, once we venture out into space in our dongships, we will meet our comrades and form a giant dong empire

I posited that we should have a contest to see who could make the best looking dancing dong.

sarukun on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    sarukun wrote: »
    Faricazy wrote: »

I posited that we should have a contest to see who could make the best looking dancing dong.

I wonder how it will procedurally animate it. That's gotta be funny to see a dong bend over and have another dong do the mating...

That's something I never thought I'd ever say... again.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Stale wrote: »
    I've played it, and I can 100% say that I enjoyed the ever-loving shit out of it.

I hate you so very much

PiptheFair on