Options

It's official - SPORE - Sept. 7, 2008

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited February 2008
    To: Toyota
    Re: Marketing.

Dear Toyota,

I am writing for a job in your marketing department, and I hope that you will take a moment to review my attached resume. I have been selling used cars for the past fifteen years, and over that time I have discovered a few tried and true selling techniques for reaching certain demographics.

I hope that I am not out of line by speaking my mind here, but let me be frank. Automotive technology has reached the point where - at the consumer level - it doesn't matter what's under the hood anymore. All that today's consumer cares about, functionality wise, is that it gets them from point a to point b. Aside from that, they want a car that's individual. Look at the new models of cars you've been shipping out recently. The Matrix and The Prius are idiotic looking, but people are buying them to have a car that they feel is distinct.

People want to believe that their car is special, individual. When I was working the lot at the used car place, we used to keep a car out back and we would shove dead pigeons under the hood. Dead pigeons, man. That car was waiting for the perfect customer, a little old lady with a wicker purse. We convinced her the car ate pigeons. She was thrilled. We sold haunted cars, cursed cars. We sold cars that made you lucky in love. We sold cars that famous people had spat on.

A series of marketing campaigns, all aimed wildly into the demographic shooting barrel. Campaigns running in the middle of the night, claiming that when the Garden Estate Slasher was captured, he had a dead hooker in his trunk and we just rolled that shit back out on the lot without cleaning it. Somewhere, we'll say, is the Camry we emptied all of them hookers out of. Somewhere is a Camry that mister bigshot movie star got blown in. Somewhere there's a Camry that is also a time machine. There is a Camry that can bring your children back to you. People want to feel like they're picking their car, Toyota, they don't want to feel like we're picking them.

People want something special. They want the house with the broken cellar stair and the windtunnel that swings the doors open and closed like it's haunted. They want the neighbourhood where the race riots first started. They want to feel like they're a part of something bigger and stronger and they want to be able to tell their children they are participating in history, not just standing off to the side. This is the house where Marie Curie died. I drink at the bar where where Hoover used to go dancing. This is the Camry they found all those hookers in. We're going to live forever, kids. We're a part of the story, now.

Joey Comeau

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Mr. Shine wrote: »
    What if all the planets have penises on them?

What if the stars align in the shape of a penis?

You are but one man.

With a death ray.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

You are but one man.

I will start the universe over.

For I shall be God.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    QuethalQuethal The Infrequent OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Pata wrote: »
    What if I put penis people on your own planet?

Any planet.

No, there's a better way! Just introduce the Zarflax species onto your planet to control the dong population.

Quethal on
  • Options
    LahnLahn Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

You are but one man.

I will start the universe over.

For I shall be God.

This game is going to cause all sorts of strife. From god-complexes, to the like 19 people who die playing it for 300 hours straight to schools debating using it as an intelligent design/evolution tool.

I'm bubbling with anticipation.

edit: sort of a let down for top of a page.

Lahn on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Quethal wrote: »
    What if I put penis people on your own planet?

Any planet.

No, there's a better way! Just introduce the Zarflax species onto your planet to control the dong population.

Chlamydia vs the Dong people.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Man fuck! About time we get some Spore news. I hope it's really as fun and sandboxy as it sounds and that the novelty doesn't wear off after 20min like other games.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    To: Greenpeace
    Re: A job

I am writing to apply for a position and I have not enclosed a resume.

I went to visit my friend Ryan, who lives in China town. I’ve been there a dozen times. I stayed blocks away the last time I was here, and every morning I would wake up early and head over to check my email, to have a glass of juice, to play chess and talk about comics and girls. Sorry, I am not staying on topic. The point is that I knew where his house was. I knew the front door, with its graffiti and stickers. I knew the small restaurant next door with dead birds in the window. But on this visit I was with other friends, and one insisted this was not the right door at all. She was very insistent, actually. So we followed her up the street for blocks and blocks, and nothing looked as familiar to me as Ryan’s door had. I started feeling stupid for having doubted it at all. Has that ever happened to you, where someone else is so sure of something that you begin to doubt yourself?

Ryan is great. We wander around the city, just talking, eating ice cream and candy and drinking juice. He gets really upset when I leave my garbage on a table in the park, or set it on a window ledge instead of finding a bin. I will set it down, and when he notices, he will go back to pick it up. Like clockwork, even if I do it again and again in a single day. He doesn’t give up. But that’s good because I can use this against him for my own amusement. When we get on the subway, the doors woosh closed behind us. Oh no, Ryan, someone has left garbage on the floor out there! But the doors are closed! What can we do?

I’m sorry, I’m rambling, Greenpeace. I have been sitting here applying for jobs, and I would much rather be thinking about sex. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. It's almost September, and soon fall will be here. I don't know what you're doing today, but maybe you would rather be thinking about sex too. This morning I woke up and remembered an embarrassing sex story. Everyone has embarrassing sex stories, I hope.

Once, a girl and I were in bed together, masturbating. She was on her back, naked, touching herself, and I was above her, mostly naked, doing the same. I was eighteen or nineteen years old, and all I could think about was coming on her breasts. You know, like on the Internet. I think, probably, I was saying something to that effect. I wasn't mentioning the Internet, of course, but I was saying I'm going to come on you, I'm going to come on you. I'm classy like that. I don't remember how she felt about the whole coming-on-her idea, actually, but I can tell you that I was very excited about it. I was almost lying on top of her. I was leaned forward so far. So when I felt my orgasm coming, I looked down between us to watch for, "the come shot."

And then I came in my own eye. It came right at me, like a 3D movie gone terribly wrong, and it stung. I started clawing at my face. She laughed and laughed while I tried frantically to wipe my eye clean. She was curled up naked on the bed, laughing so hard there were tears. I started laughing too. I couldn't help it. We both laughed until it hurt, until the muscles in our cheeks were sore from smiling, and then we looked up at her ceiling, on our backs, exhausted. For the rest of that afternoon, every once in a while one of us would start laughing again and then so would the other. It is one of my favourite memories.

I used to say I never want children. But I do. And I want grandchildren. I want them to have lovers and I want them to know how good it feels to embarrass yourself so totally in front of someone you care about. I want the world to last forever just for moments like that. How sappy can you get? But I do.

I don’t know when I started believing that the world was going to end no matter what, and there was nothing I could do about it but accept it. I don’t know when I started teasing the people who care, or when I started thinking that caring meant you were a flake. I think everyone around me seemed so convinced, so certain, that I let myself get carried away.

Joey Comeau
    I think I'm going to email this to a few places.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    god I can't fucking wait

also side note: I quit cigarettes today

time without cigarettes: 21 hours. I am keeping cigarettes near me at all times to prove that I have the best willpower ever.

Raneados on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Legacy wrote: »
    I've always had a feeling about the PC version. People have it in their minds that it's something totally different than what it's really going to be. And they're going to be really disappointed. It may still be fun and all, but it's not going to be everything that people think.

And my roommate & one of my friends is working on Spore DS.

More details and or information of any kind or I will be very, very disappointed and cross with you.

You can not just come into a thread and say that kind of shit without truefax to back it up.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So we haven't gotten any minimum requirements yet?

SirToasty on
  • Options
    PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Raneados wrote: »
    god I can't fucking wait

also side note: I quit cigarettes today

time without cigarettes: 21 hours. I am keeping cigarettes near me at all times to prove that I have the best willpower ever.

Let's give each other a bone shattering high five.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    PTSSHHHHHHH

Raneados on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    SirToasty wrote: »

Well it still isn't coming out until September, so we might not hear anything on the requirements for some time yet.

Also still demanding satisfaction about the whole "spore will disappoint everyone" thing.

<insert picture of homer slapping somebody with a glove here>

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    SirToasty wrote: »

sporesysreq.jpg

Hehe, I like how they have a sense of humor about it.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    the only thing I want is a free creature creator demo tool okay

jesus

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Raneados wrote: »
    the only thing I want is a free creature creator demo tool okay

jesus

IIRC, they did say they would release a public beta or demo or something of the creature editor.

;3

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    so i figure spore is going to result in a new round of people blaming video games for letting people be too creative

"IN THIS SICK GAME CALLED "SPORE" PLAYERS CAN MAKE A RACE THAT LOOKS LIKE INNOCENT CHILDREN AND HAVE THEM MOLESTED BY A SPECIES OF GIANT PENISES THAT IS CLEARLY WILL WRIGHT'S FAULT!"

Pony on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I still have faith that this will be pretty damn awesome.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Pony wrote: »
    so i figure spore is going to result in a new round of people blaming video games for letting people be too creative

"IN THIS SICK GAME CALLED "SPORE" PLAYERS CAN MAKE A RACE THAT LOOKS LIKE INNOCENT CHILDREN AND HAVE THEM MOLESTED BY A SPECIES OF GIANT PENISES THAT IS CLEARLY WILL WRIGHT'S FAULT!"

On a serious tone, I can see this game being a huge issue for some Religious folk if they choose to take it that way.

I mean, some may take it as "Oh, you can play as God and lead your people thru the galaxy and thru time!"

But if they want to be assholes, they will choose to be like, "AEHRDNGFKASDFGADFKGA! Whatthe fuckk is thsi shit! Jesuz Christ! The vidya games are preaching immoraltiy with evolution and shit!Where's Jery Fallwell!111"

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    if the creature creator is as potent as their videos have shown it to be, that is worth it even if the game is boring trash

Pony on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

On a serious tone, I can see this game being a huge issue for some Religious folk if they choose to take it that way.

I mean, some may take it as "Oh, you can play as God and lead your people thru the galaxy and thru time!"

But if they want to be assholes, they will choose to be like, "AEHRDNGFKASDFGADFKGA! Whatthe fuckk is thsi shit! Jesuz Christ! The vidya games are preaching immoraltiy with evolution and shit!Where's Jery Fallwell!111"

i am glad jerry falwell is dead and that none have really filled his place

Pony on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited February 2008

there've been customers at my store that wouldn't let their kids buy games like Black & White or The Sims because they didn't want their children playing god

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

i am glad jerry falwell is dead and that none have really filled his place

Me too. Hi5?

EDIT: Also Keith, in case of that shit happening, try and sell them Creature Racing, or whatever the fuck that abomination is. That or Left Behind. Both are tremendous amounts of shit, except one is just jaw droppingly stupid and the other is a crappy stale RTS with probably the worst visuals and absolutely no trace of optimization.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Keith wrote: »

there've been customers at my store that wouldn't let their kids buy games like Black & White or The Sims because they didn't want their children playing god

i wonder if those kids torture insects

Pony on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

You should tell them that their children will only be playing god if they stop the people in the game from having fun.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited February 2008

no, they were just really religious people (i think one family was muslim and one was jewish)

the muslim father wouldn't let his son play anything with magic in it

but that's their beliefs

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    keith i am curious about something

in your experience working at a game store, how consistent are people with their moral objections?

like, will people be like "oh, I don't want little Billy playing Black & White, that lets him play God and it is against our beliefs" and then turn around and buy their kid Gears of War or GTA: SA?

or do they ask when the next VeggieTales game is coming out?

basically i am wondering how consistent/hypocritical these people are in their outrage

Pony on
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Blaket wrote: »

You should tell them that their children will only be playing god if they stop the people in the game from having fun.

OH SNAP

You just gonna sit there and take that like a chump, Yahweh? Yeah you are. Bitch.

Fire Truck on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

in your experience working at a game store, how consistent are people with their moral objections?

like, will people be like "oh, I don't want little Billy playing Black & White, that lets him play God and it is against our beliefs" and then turn around and buy their kid Gears of War or GTA: SA?

basically i am wondering how consistent/hypocritical these people are in their outrage

mostly parents are fine with violence and swearing and drugs but stop once sex is involved

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

no, they were just really religious people (i think one family was muslim and one was jewish)

but that's their beliefs

I would have recommended Battlefield 2 and told them to make the child play as the MEC constantly. It ought to put a smile on their face. :3

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

mostly parents are fine with violence and swearing and drugs but stop once sex is involved

i figured

second question:

how much penetration do the words of dudes like Jack Thompson actually get with parents?

i mean ole jacky makes big noise on the internet and gets his 30 second blurb on CNN but i wonder how much your common parent actually pays attention to that bullshit

ever have someone be like "Oh, I'm not buying the Sims, that game lets people have sex with children!" ?

Pony on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    one lady was buying Devil May Cry 4 for her son and i said, "all right, you're aware that it's rated mature for blood, gore, sexual themes, mild language, and violence" and she said, "yeah, he sees worse at home"

and i was like "dang i don't want to go to your house"

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

i figured

second question:

how much penetration do the words of dudes like Jack Thompson actually get with parents?

i mean ole jacky makes big noise on the internet and gets his 30 second blurb on CNN but i wonder how much your common parent actually pays attention to that bullshit

ever have someone be like "Oh, I'm not buying the Sims, that game lets people have sex with children!" ?

0%

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    one lady was buying Devil May Cry 4 for her son and i said, "all right, you're aware that it's rated mature for blood, gore, sexual themes, mild language, and violence" and she said, "yeah, he sees worse at home"

did you actually say that to her

or was it something you thought internally

and said to co-workers later

Pony on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

I honestly do not get this stance.

I think as a parent I would be tolerant of swearing to a point (I for instance have no problem in calling inanimate objects names, but I have objection to swearing at people which is not done in jest), and I don't think I would mind bloodless violence and all that. But I mean I think the violence in CoD4 is worse than the sex scenes in Mass Effect.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

but that's their beliefs

I would have recommended Battlefield 2 and told them to make the child play as the MEC constantly. It ought to put a smile on their face. :3

that's why you're a useless fuck and errbody likes me

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

did you actually say that to her

or was it something you thought internally

and said to co-workers later

oh i said it to her

she's there a lot and her, her son, and husband have a good sense of humor

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Whooops.jpg

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    i like the style but i probably won't play it because it looks like lots of micromanaging

i am the opposite of this

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png