Options

Movies: that are old

ElkiElki get busyModerator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
edited February 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
This is a thread for older movies. Well, not just older movies, but any movie that have been out of its theatre run for a 1+ years. This is not a general theatre releases megathread, and it's not a recent DVD releases thread, so don't use it as such.

Spoilers: Tag your spoilers. All of them. There are a lot of things that I (and other people, I suppose) haven't seen, so don't ruin them for us. This is already in the rules thread, but I'm repeating it here so I don't hear any whining later about how you think everyone should have seen THX 1138 by now. I don't want to hear it.

OK? OK!

smCQ5WE.jpg
Elki on

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited February 2008
    So, I watched Solaris('72) tonight. I didn't have a problem with the pacing, like some many other people seemed to. Of all mood-heavy/plot-light movies that I've seen, this is probably my favorite. And they really got a bang for the buck out of the special effects.
    "Man needs man."

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Arsenic and old Lace - the dialogue was so funny I hurt my ribs

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Go see It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World, 1963. Starred basically everyone who was doing movies back then, and they are all hilarious. Arguably the greatest "caper"comedy every, in which a group of people race cross-country to find a hidden treasure and random stuff ensues.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Elki wrote: »
    So, I watched Solaris('72) tonight. I didn't have a problem with the pacing, like some many other people seemed to. Of all mood-heavy/plot-light movies that I've seen, this is probably my favorite. And they really got a bang for the buck out of the special effects.
    "Man needs man."

I've got that as a Russian Classics DVD, but it's only in German (...not Russian, I have no idea why). I haven't gotten around to watching it, but hopefully I will at some point. I've heard the remake with Clooney isn't as good, but I haven't seen that either.

If we're going with old movies, I'm going to go really far back here and recommend some Marx Brothers. I don't care much for the musical interludes that are bound to happen in nearly every movie (some of them work comedy in, like the piano playing in Animal Crackers). There are quite a few classic moments in movie history from them, and some decent one-liners as well.

Unfortunately the black and white film, occasional usage of 30s cultural references and the less professional aura of the films might put some people off (the actors apparently love to look into the camera...Margaret Dumont does it all the time, but Groucho Marx does it for comedic effect through soliloquy or talking to the audience). I'll recommend Duck Soup, The Big Store and Animal Crackers, but everyone tends to have their assorted favorites. A Night at the Opera has a relatively famous contract scene between Groucho and Chico. Duck Soup has the relatively famous mirror scene. Captain Spaulding's adventures in Africa from Animal Crackers is always good too (including " One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas - how he got in my pajamas I dunno.").

UltimaGecko on
    The facehuggers want to play with you in the AvP LP. Facehuggers also want you to check out the TF2 cards here. View the in-progress RE mansion recreation for L4D here.
    Bitstream wrote: »
    People respect a man who might do science at any moment.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Charlie Chaplin's features are some genuinely funny shit.

It takes a lot to make me laugh out loud at a film if I'm the only one watching it, but he manages every time.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    ZsetrekZsetrek Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The Apartment by Billy Wilder holds a really special place in my heart.

Zsetrek on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Last year I watched 12 Angry Men (1957). That is one of the best movies I have ever seen, and I can't recommend it enough. Fantastic actors, pacing and just a great overall story.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Arsenic and old Lace - the dialogue was so funny I hurt my ribs
    Yeees, such a great movie.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Currently, for Religion class, we're watching the Shawshank Redemption. As someone who's watching it for the first time, I'm rather hooked on it. Really an amazing film.

Tav on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Tav wrote: »
    Currently, for Religion class, we're watching the Shawshank Redemption. As someone who's watching it for the first time, I'm rather hooked on it. Really an amazing film.

Is the teacher using Shawshank to replace a current religion? Because if not she's doing it wrong.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    deowolf wrote: »

Is the teacher using Shawshank to replace a current religion? Because if not she's doing it wrong.

What a great, great movie. Now I'm going to start quoting lines from it to random people at work today.

Since we're taking the retro track, I'm a big fan of Audrey Hepburn movies. It's surprisingly hard to articulate just why I like them so much, but whenever, say, Sabrina pops up on the telly, I must watch and watch and be bewilderingly lost in her beautiful, starry, incandescent eyes, mesmerized by her grace and charm and.....

.........what?

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008

Apparently, it's her favourite movie because it's filled with hope... So far I've only seen the lead being brutally raped, but I'm sure theres hope later on.

Tav on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Last year I watched 12 Angry Men (1957). That is one of the best movies I have ever seen, and I can't recommend it enough. Fantastic actors, pacing and just a great overall story.

I saw this at the theatre about two or three years back, the tension live acting can bring improved an already great premise

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    SinWithSebastianSinWithSebastian Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Doctor Strangelove! (Or how I learned to stop worrying, and love the bomb) I think I laughed literally the whole way through the film the last time I watched it, it's so filled with both visual and verbal jokes, particularly for the time it was made, I'm still amazed they got to release it.

SinWithSebastian on
  • Options
    JoJoHoraHoraJoJoHoraHora ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008

Apparently, it's her favourite movie because it's filled with hope... So far I've only seen the lead being brutally raped, but I'm sure theres hope later on.

Keep on watching. It's a wonderful movie and the book is great too. Stephen King needs to write more prison books. :)

Back to old movies, I've recently picked up the original Rollerball, having only seen the remake. Man, is it so much better.

JoJoHoraHora on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

It takes a lot to make me laugh out loud at a film if I'm the only one watching it, but he manages every time.

If you like Chaplin I suggest checking out Buster Keaton. He does alot of the same type of gags of Chaplin but also manages to get a good amount of emotional weight to his movies too.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Me and a friend of mine were talking about making an 80s movie night some time. I'm looking forward to seeing Weird Science for one.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Modern Times = pure excellence. I even teared up a little bit at the end. It's definitely one of those movies that has aged well.

Unlike Duck Soup, which we also watched in Film Studies. I like the Marx brother that can't talk the best. D:

edit: No worries, Platypus. I second your opinion.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm a sucker for cinematography. Barry Lyndon and Days of Heaven are two of my favorite films. Long, and methodically paced, but gorgeously shot.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I watched Citizen Kane for the first time back in January. I liked it a lot; I didn't find it boring at all, like apparently a lot of people do. Then the weekend afterwards I went to Hearst Castle (Kane was based on William Hearst; Hearst Castle = Xanadu) and it just made me hate rich people even more than I already did.

I also watched Breathless for the first time around the same time. It was good, but felt kind of...slight. I think The 400 Blows is better as far as French new wave goes.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    My classic list, pre 1970:

Gone with the Wind
    Wizard of Oz (still awesome, and fucked up, just because of all the folklore)
    Casablanca
    The Maltese Falcon
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    It's a Wonderful Life (fuck you if you don't like it)

Beyond that, it's pretty much 1970 or bust. I really didn't like a lot of old movies, but once you hit the 70's and up you get slasher horror, Clint Eastwood westerns, the Magnificent Seven, Star Wars, Jaws, Close Encounters, ET, etc.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Goddard just never worked for me

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    For valentines day they're showing Casablanca at my local cinema. I love Humphrey Bogart, and despite owning the DVD I've managed to never seen this film. So I'm pretty excited. I do genuinely find it really difficult to watch a lot of films that don't have the gritty style we're used to these days, I mean trying to watch any old action flick is almost a joke now that I'm used to the Bourne series.

Rook on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I also watched Breathless for the first time around the same time. It was good, but felt kind of...slight. I think The 400 Blows is better as far as French new wave goes.

Ugggghh I HATE Breathless. I cannot stand Goddard; he is so obsessed with being hip. You are right, Truffaut is where it's at. However, I don't like The 400 Blows as much as I do Shoot the Piano Player and [/i]Jules e Jim[/i]. Those are two of my favorite movies of all time.

Next to, of course, 8 1/2.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    German cinema > French New Wave

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

M38.jpeg

It's often too dramatic for my taste.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Podly wrote: »

M38.jpeg

It's often too dramatic for my taste.

OH GOD I LOVED M

best fucking movie ever

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Re watched the Third Man recently.

Awesome Noire and had an amazing theme song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te9fqm6rUPY

Had a great Orson Welles cameo and over all was a fun movie with good pacing.

And also had this great quote:
    In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    HamjuHamju Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I've gotta say, I really like the old action movies, before the age of CG everything, a lot more than everything that's put out now. For instance, Aliens and Terminator 2, two movies I adore with awesome special effects and no use of computers. I mean, they were all guys in suits and giant animatronics which means that they were actually there instead of just pasted in afterwards. It all looks so much better... I miss the age of puppets.

Hamju on
    kekekesigshortercuzthinsacunt.jpg
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hamju wrote: »
    I've gotta say, I really like the old action movies, before the age of CG everything, a lot more than everything that's put out now. For instance, Aliens and Terminator 2, two movies I adore with awesome special effects and no use of computers. I mean, they were all guys in suits and giant animatronics which means that they were actually there instead of just pasted in afterwards. It all looks so much better... I miss the age of puppets.

Are we thinking of the same Terminator 2?

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The Great Race (1962) tops my all-time favorite movie list. It's simply so much fun to watch.

"I AM PROFESSOR FATE!"

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Octoparrot wrote: »

Seriously, the reason T2 was so long getting released was because of the rendering time necessary for the T-1000 CGI.

Aliens on the other hand, I will agree with whole heartedly, and Predator.

amateurhour on
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008

The version of T2 I saw back in 1991 was using claymation for the T1000 effects.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

The version of T2 I saw back in 1991 was using claymation for the T1000 effects.

I really want to know what fucked up version of the movie this was.

amateurhour on
  • Options
    PlutocracyPlutocracy regular
    edited February 2008
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Re watched the Third Man recently.

Awesome Noire and had an amazing theme song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te9fqm6rUPY

Had a great Orson Welles cameo and over all was a fun movie with good pacing.

And also had this great quote:
    In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.

I would hardly call Orson Welles' role in The Third Man a "cameo". The scene where he finally makes his entrance
    in that doorway
    is one of the most exciting in cinema, let alone the noir genre. Hell, the film as a whole is a feast for eyes.

And now for something completely different I must agree with Nexus, Buster Keaton was also awesome. Sherlock Jr. is so such a joy to watch.

Plutocracy on
    They fuck you up, your mum and dad.
    They may not mean to, but they do.
    They fill you with the faults they had
    And add some extra, just for you.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited February 2008

O_o

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Keep on watching. It's a wonderful movie and the book is great too. Stephen King needs to write more prison books. :)

Hope, rape, I can see how you cold confuse the two.

It's not just prison books, really. I've found that many of Stephen King's best works are his non-horror stuff. Of the movie adaptations, I can really only recommend Shawshank or Stand By Me off the top of my head, Shawshank being one of my favorites of all time (though I recommend giving the book/novella a shot as well, it's short and well worth a read).

Oh God, I just had a vision of how awesomely horrible this movie would have been if it had bee released in the late 70's/early 80's.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »

O_o

This. London I think you're having a stroke.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited February 2008
    I'm of the opinion that Jimmy Stewart is pretty much the greatest actor of all time. He was basically Tom Hanks before there was a Tom Hanks, only with more style and charm. Harvey is just about the greatest thing of all time. Seriously, Elwood P. Dowd is the best character ever.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    As for some of my favorite, older movies:

The original Ocean's 11 with the Rat Pack. Still love that movie.

The French Connection.

(Not quite so old) Shawshanke Redemption.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png