Options

dearly beloved, we are gathered here today

• Options
    Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    I'm amazed the Stradivarius Society loaned him another. You would think that'd kind of be a dealbreaker.

ahahahha they fucking loaned him another one?

ahahahahhaha
    In the meantime, Garrett has been offered the use of another Stradivarius, worth an estimated £2.5m, for a Valentine's Day concert in London.

It has been loaned by London-based dealers J&A Beare, who have arranged for the instrument to be flown in from Milan, Italy.

Angels had better weep when he plays.

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm amazed the Stradivarius Society loaned him another. You would think that'd kind of be a dealbreaker.

I imagine when he gets to play it it will be taped to his hands so he can't drop it.

And to ensure he wont fall over again he will be taped to the wall.

Blake T on
  • Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    it would be ridiculous to only play it occasionally, because then you'd be learning and practicing on an entirely different sounding violin and everything would end up a little weird

satansfingers on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited February 2008

ahahahahhaha
    In the meantime, Garrett has been offered the use of another Stradivarius, worth an estimated £2.5m, for a Valentine's Day concert in London.

It has been loaned by London-based dealers J&A Beare, who have arranged for the instrument to be flown in from Milan, Italy.
    Angels had better weep when he plays.

angels weep whenever someone looks at a stradivarius

bongi on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited February 2008
    I would have given so much fucking money just to be the guy at the bottom of the stairs that got to yell "OH SNAP, SON, YOU DONE DID IT NOW! AHAHAHAHAHAHA"

me and you, rank

we're like this

all I can think about is that scene in that Pink Panther movie where [SIZE=-1]Clouseau breaks that antique

"That was a priceless ming vase!"

*looks around, dusts himself off*

"Not any more."
    [/SIZE]

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

ahahahahhaha

"I swear, I had no idea it would happen again."

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    oh man I can't believe I got to use Professor X Stairs again

god I love that

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited February 2008
    even in a broken state the violin was probably worth more than your houses

bongi on
  • Options
    PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The loss of a beloved instrument is definitely worth mourning.

But man this guy chumped up good.

Polago on
  • Options
    MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Is it bad that when I saw the title I started finishing the lyrics to a song from Rent?

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    somebody needs to photoshop that picture so he's holding a violin in one hand and a bow in the other

the height of wit

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    oh man I can't believe I got to use Professor X Stairs again

god I love that

well played shoe

you deserve this

Oreo-Trans-Fat-Suit12may03.GIF

FortyTwo on
  • Options
    Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    GSM wrote: »

ahahahahhaha

"I swear, I had no idea it would happen again."

"Third time's the charm, right guys?"

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Monkeyfeet wrote: »
    Is it bad that when I saw the title I started finishing the lyrics to a song from Rent?

Same here

makeouts?

FortyTwo on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    #pipe wrote: »
    Blaket wrote: »
    I never get the people that lock valuable shit away never to touch it.

If I had a stradivarius you are damm sure I would learn Violin and then play it.

I never get people who are so flippant with amazingly rare and valuable, unique relics of history.

If I was a virtuoso Violinist and had a $4,000,000 Strad, I would play that shit once a year at most and you'd better believe it had some custom, unbreakable titanium case lined with virgin pubes to keep it safe.

But what's the point of having something you aren't going to use?

I can understand keeping it locked away when you aren't using it and transporting it safely, but to only use it once a year is a collosal waste of money.

Blake T on
  • Options
    PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I wonder if the piano back home in Edmonton is worth anything. Over 120 years old now.

Ivory.

Polago on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    somebody needs to post the picture of Krusty lighting a cigar with Action Comics #1

because I can't find it

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

If I had a stradivarius you are damm sure I would learn Violin and then play it.

I never get people who are so flippant with amazingly rare and valuable, unique relics of history.

If I was a virtuoso Violinist and had a $4,000,000 Strad, I would play that shit once a year at most and you'd better believe it had some custom, unbreakable titanium case lined with virgin pubes to keep it safe.

I can understand keeping it locked away when you aren't using it and transporting it safely, but to only use it once a year is a collosal waste of money.

yes because people that own a stradaverius care about money

(they don't)

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

The idea is you eventually sell it to some OTHER prick who won't use it and then take his money and buy shit with it that you will use.

I understand the purchase as an investment.

FortyTwo on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Polago wrote: »
    I wonder if the piano back home in Edmonton is worth anything. Over 120 years old now.

Ivory.

the whole piano is ivory?

jesus, that's like the ele-caust there

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Polago wrote: »

Ivory.

was it made by an 18th century, italian, world-renowned stringed instrument crafter

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

yes because people that own a stradaverius care about money

(they don't)

Yes but if they don't care about money they shouldn't care about whipping it out and playing old macdonald had a farm on it.

Blake T on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited February 2008
    somebody needs to post the picture of Krusty lighting a cigar with Action Comics #1

because I can't find it

homer eating the first appearance of spider-man

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited February 2008
    owning a stradivarius and not playing it for the enjoyment of yourself and others should probably be punishable by death or at least punches

bongi on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    man, Steve Ditko uses his original comic book art as cutting boards

that is terrible

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    guys I don't get why classic weapons collectors don't go out and stab people with masamunes and saracen steel blades

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    FortyTwo wrote: »

The idea is you eventually sell it to some OTHER prick who won't use it and then take his money and buy shit with it that you will use.

But even then you are relying on numbfucks to drop their violins down the stairs and increase your investment.

Antiques is a very fickle industry and is not recomended to buy into it as an investment, it is fair safer to play the stock markets.

Blake T on
  • Options
    QuethalQuethal The Infrequent OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    telcus wrote: »
    stairs are the natural enemies of antiques

Just like cripples. They're super effective!

Quethal on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited February 2008
    because classic weapon collectors are probably stupid, probably

bongi on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Take for example, one of [Comic publisher and restorer, Greg] Theakston’s last visits to Ditko’s studio. While embroiled in a conversation, the historian noticed a piece of illustration board leaning up against a wall, slashed to pieces.

“He’d been using it as a cutting board,” Theakston said. “I looked a little bit closer and I detected a comics code stamp on it.”

He asked Ditko to turn the board around, a request met with a deadening gaze from the artist.

“I didn’t think he was going to do it,” the historian recounted. “It looked like a ‘Screw you’ look.”

Slowly, however, Ditko reached out and flipped over the board. It was a page of original art from a late 1950s issue of Journey Into Mystery, a splash featuring a hard helmet diver. Theakston couldn’t believe it. Not only was Ditko not displaying, preserving or prizing this piece of original art, he was using it as a cutting board.

Theakston quickly offered Ditko a deal: “Steve, I will go down to the nearest art supply store and buy you a cutting board that will mend itself-a plastic cutting board that’s so smart that when you cut on it, it mends itself-and you’ll have the finest cutting board on the block.” “Nope,” Ditko replied, twisting the artwork-turned-cutting-board back around.

Theakston pleaded. “Steve, geez. That’s worth a fair amount of money. At the very least-damn, Steve-it’s an artifact. It’s an important piece of publishing history in terms of comics.”

The artist turned and pointed to the drapery-obscured window next to Theakston’s chair. “Lift that curtain up,” he said.

The curtain, the historian estimated, was about 18 inches off the floor. He pulled the drape aside and saw a stack of original artwork from Marvel standing roughly a foot-and-a-half high.

“Can I look at these?” Theakston excitedly asked.

“No.”

The writer was dumbfounded. “I was sitting next to a hundred thousand, two hundred thousand dollars, maybe, worth of Ditko artwork and he was cutting it up without letting people look at it.”

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    guys I don't get why classic weapons collectors don't go out and stab people with masamunes and saracen steel blades

They are at least on display.

Plus Highlander totally used his Ancient Japanese sword all the time.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

most are large men with two to three rolls of fat on the back of the neck

back of the neck fat is pretty terrible because i hate looking at fat articulate on the back of someone's head

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Monkeyfeet wrote: »

Same here

makeouts?

I'm game

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I mean I guess it's his prerogative but man

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited February 2008
    hahaha that guy sounds awesome

bongi on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

But even then you are relying on numbfucks to drop their violins down the stairs and increase your investment.

Antiques is a very fickle industry and is not recomended to buy into it as an investment, it is fair safer to play the stock markets.

But the people that truly make money in this market already HAVE money. but the markets are a much better place for the rest of us.

FortyTwo on
  • Options
    MarcoND7MarcoND7 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    bongi wrote: »

repair costs = £60,000 ($120,000 for those of you using moon currency)

it's said that merely being in the same room as a stradivarius is likely to cause orgasms

Ah, and you no longer have to list the snow currency because it's the same level...ah, justice lives.

MarcoND7 on
    The author is not responsible for any bad puns, jokes, or other jackassy things. Thank you.
  • Options
    laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Because that's illegal.

Plenty of people who practice traditional martial arts use antique weapons for forms and demonstrations, though.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This kinda reminds me of National Treasure, nicholas cage all ripping up the constitution and putting special ink on it and carrying it in wacky adventures and junk. Mostly because I want to push the friend that suggested we see that movie down a flight of stairs.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    bongi wrote: »
    hahaha that guy sounds awesome

he's pretty crazy

he's also a hardcore objectivist

but he created Spider-Man so I can't do anything but idolize him

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif