As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tell me what you think of my webcomic...(NSFW)

PolksterPolkster Registered User regular
edited March 2013 in Artist's Corner
[ ]

Polkster on

• Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Always a good idea to read the rules page before posting!

Edit: in other words Post some actual art or else it's "site whoring."

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Oh I'm sorry, I figured since I don't make any money off of my site it wouldn't be a problem, hold on, let me get some art.

Polkster on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    is this a joke? you're kidding right?

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    GoshingaGoshinga Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I thought it was funny.

And I kind of liked the style, too.

Goshinga on
  • Options
    multimoogmultimoog Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Tell me what you think of my webcomic...

It needs better (either more traditional or more designer-y) panel design, and a nicer font. The jokes aren't BAD per se, but there's too much reliance on potty humor for what's essentially a new take on Peanuts. South Park does it well because it is South Park, and a hell of a lot funnier, and it's been around forever. You're going for subtlety, and the swearing doesn't mesh with it.

I don't mind the crude drawing and garish color as much as other people might, because I can see what you're trying to do. But it might be a bit more pleasant to look at if the characters were drawn and inked more carefully as opposed to sketchy-looking and underdrawn. It's possible to do simple stick-like figures and not have them look lazy or sloppy. And if that's your 'style' then there's nothing for it and I (and others!) will always dislike it.

As far as getting more people, do a better job and let the word-of-mouth build. Or try and get the strip carried/featured on a more popular website or something, by emailing sites you like and asking about it.

multimoog on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    What does the first panel have to do with the rest of the comic?

NibCrom on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I was walking behind them. All these comics are true stories.

Polkster on
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm afraid keeping the outline of the head in front of the hair only detracts from the style. Try to ditch it.

Mayday on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    You think so? Maybe I'll get rid of 'em next time around.

Polkster on
  • Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I think they are pretty funny, and i dont mind the drawing quirks. The panel design could be better, but I cant really draw up any specifics. The one thats on the page right now is killing me, about the kids. I will say the site design looks really amatuer.

Greatnation on
  • Options
    CrowlestonCrowleston Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Mayday wrote: »
    I'm afraid keeping the outline of the head in front of the hair only detracts from the style. Try to ditch it.

looks like bangs to me.

Crowleston on
    useless but necessary objects of society.
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Uhh, your humor is similar to mine (that video made me laugh hysterically at the part where you talked ot the girl in the hallway), but I don't think I'd ever be ballsy enough to share it with everyone at the risk of my reputation in any sort of career to be totally soiled if someone were to stumble upon it. I already have enough trouble with the weird looks teachers give me when they catch my friend and I talking about liquoring up hookers, setting them on fire, and throwing them like molotov cocktails...ahem, anyways.

Uhh, I don't really have anything to say about the art, because it's pretty much just there so you have a way to get your jokes across. Looks like you enjoy doing it, but I don't know how many readers your going to get with the kind of humor you have. Keep on keeping on.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    I like the head-in-front-of-hair thing. I'd say keep it.

The art isn't particularly critiquable, though. It's doodles, basically. That's what you're going for, I suppose, but whatever.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Oh man. I really want this comic to have a more readable font. Eye-strain! I'm looking through archives and I'm skipping over stuff I can't read; it's a shame. I like this.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You can’t draw, your use of color is dull, and your typesetting is so atrocious that it would still be horrid if you used a decent font. The writing is the usual drek that comes from people who use profanity, scatological humor, and violence to make up for being incapable of creativity.

supabeast on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Oh man. I really want this comic to have a more readable font. Eye-strain! I'm looking through archives and I'm skipping over stuff I can't read; it's a shame. I like this.

What resolution is your monitor set to? I've struggled with finding a good font for a long time and I'm fairly happy with the one I'm using now, I've got no problem reading it on both my laptop and my desktop (which represent opposite resolution poles, respectively).

Polkster on
  • Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It's not because it's small or anything, it's just the font is too narrow and close together. I'm not sure constant italics helps either, plus that also takes away from possibly using italics as a form of emphasis in your writing.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    srsizzy wrote: »
    Uhh, your humor is similar to mine (that video made me laugh hysterically at the part where you talked ot the girl in the hallway), but I don't think I'd ever be ballsy enough to share it with everyone at the risk of my reputation in any sort of career to be totally soiled if someone were to stumble upon it. I already have enough trouble with the weird looks teachers give me when they catch my friend and I talking about liquoring up hookers, setting them on fire, and throwing them like molotov cocktails...ahem, anyways.

Uhh, I don't really have anything to say about the art, because it's pretty much just there so you have a way to get your jokes across. Looks like you enjoy doing it, but I don't know how many readers your going to get with the kind of humor you have. Keep on keeping on.

I try to avoid using my real name--people around here know it's me but I don't think it's that big of a deal. When I started the site in high school a whole bunch of my teachers knew about it and they thought it was funny, so I suppose it depends on where you go to school and how well people know you. I was never the 'quiet kid', I was the loud obnoxious asshole, so saying the kind of stuff I did didn't make people think I was disturbed. I obviously don't put this stuff on my resume--well I would if it became popular--and as long as it can't be immediately associated to me then I don't see a problem. I mean if you were really dead set on finding out who I was, there's more than enough crap strewn across the site, but generally the most employers and interviewers do is check if you have a facebook and Google your name--and my name's pretty common.

Oh and if you think your humor's similar, and you like to draw (or just write I suppose), it'd be more than cool if you submitted some of your stuff to the site. I'm always looking for guest artists/writers/people just to mix things up a bit. I'll credit you (or your pseudonym) of course.

Polkster on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    It's not because it's small or anything, it's just the font is too narrow and close together. I'm not sure constant italics helps either, plus that also takes away from possibly using italics as a form of emphasis in your writing.

Yes, that's absolutely true and I have had that problem. The thing is though this font that I've found comes in two basic varieties: regular and condensed (I think there's an expanded too but that's totally worthless). Regular is way too wide and space inefficient, condensed is a bet better.

If you know of a better font I'd gladly check it out. I'm really open to changing damn near anything.

Polkster on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Just check one of the billion free custom font sites on the internet, though I'm not sure how those work out if you ever start wanting to make money off of the comic.

Also, I think the head-line thing over the hair needs to go - or at least do a comparison on an example comic and see.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Just check one of the billion free custom font sites on the internet, though I'm not sure how those work out if you ever start wanting to make money off of the comic.

Also, I think the head-line thing over the hair needs to go - or at least do a comparison on an example comic and see.

That font is from one of those free font websites, it's not native to Windows. That's why I was asking you, there are so many fonts out there and this was the one I ended up settling on, however, if you know of one I may have missed then I would've liked to know.

Polkster on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I...I can't tell you what font you would like. Dig around through the sites and find one that you think may look good, try it out, boom. If you think it works, show us what you picked and we'll see from there.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I...I can't tell you what font you would like. Dig around through the sites and find one that you think may look good, try it out, boom. If you think it works, show us what you picked and we'll see from there.

I wasn't asking you to tell me what font I'd like, I was asking you if you knew of a font that would be better. That's all.

Polkster on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Polkster wrote: »

I wasn't asking you to tell me what font I'd like, I was asking you if you knew of a font that would be better. That's all.

Preferably a font that is clearer to read, not as narrow as the one you have now, and doesn't have to be permanently italicized to look decent.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Polkster wrote: »

Preferably a font that is clearer to read, not as narrow as the one you have now, and doesn't have to be permanently italicized to look decent.

Referring to the font as 'permanently italicized' is inaccurate, I'm not italicizing it, the artist who made it wasn't italicizing it, that's just the way it looks. It has no 'italicized' or 'unitalicized' equivalent.

Polkster on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Well this has certainly taken a turn for the retarded. If the font is sloping to the right, that is italics. That's all there is to it. The only reason I even brought up that point was to suggest that one of the numerous reasons you seek a new font is because that one takes away whatever potential you would otherwise have for italics as a device when writing. You know, a device for emphasis. Emphasis on how fucking stupid the fact that this has gone back and forth for about five posts is.

Just forget I even said it. You don't need a new font. That one works fine - it is perfect.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Excellent.

Polkster on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    No.

The font is terrible.

Italics or no, it rates as exceptionally poor in the legibility stakes. Unfortunately typography is often the last thing people think of when designing stuff. You should remember that when we read, we don't actually read every letter of every word. We actually process the shape of the word and cognitive mapping fills in the rest. It's why that 'im nt tying evy lttr bt yu cn stll mke snse of ths sentnc' trick works. Typing in all-caps alone makes your typography a shit-load more unreadable, as all the shape indicators of lower-case are thrown out the window. It slows down your comic a great deal, especially your wordier ones.

Please look in to a new font.

Since you seem to care, my monitor is 1024x768, not that it should really make a difference. Please remember that whatever font you think is readable is probably going to appear so because you know exactly what's being written.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    supabeast wrote: »
    You can’t draw, your use of color is dull, and your typesetting is so atrocious that it would still be horrid if you used a decent font. The writing is the usual drek that comes from people who use profanity, scatological humor, and violence to make up for being incapable of creativity.

As a matter of public courtesy, I'd like to point out that if a member is going to jump to harsh reviews tactics, it's poor form to not follow that up with something constructive and actually useful.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited February 2008
    I'd use a more traditional panel system and change that font, because it's really pretty bad. The panel system you have at the moment doesn't work.

Tube on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Does this work?:

"OP, you're supposed to use gutters, not pull it from the gutter."

edit: For those of you viewing this in the distant future, it was a misunderstanding. I was actually asking this question, not being a rhetorical asshole. :)

MKR on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    MKR wrote: »
    Does this work?:

*rimshot*

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    MKR wrote: »
    Does this work?:

Come on, don't be naive, the only place I pull these comics from is my own rotting anus. Literally, I just smear paper in feces, scan it, and upload it to the internet. But before I do that, I have elderly syphilitic whores cram pencils into their leathery, worn, vaginas to scribble the totally illegible font onto the spastically arranged panels.

Polkster on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    The hell is WB?

Polkster on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Writer's block forum.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Why bother? I already get all of the derision I need right here.

Polkster on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    And deservedly so, seeing as you ask for advice and then can't follow the simplest bit of it without pissing all over the room. It's just pointless to ask if you aren't willing to take legitimate crits into consideration.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I'm taking legitimate crits under consideration. You told me to use a different font, I asked you if you knew of one, you said "no". That's where our interaction ends.

Polkster on
  • Options
    EvilKidSteveyEvilKidStevey Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I actually really dig it.

EvilKidStevey on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Well that's true, because I sure didn't tell you to go to a free-font site where you could choose for yourself or anything. I guess that's no good because it's a solution that doesn't involve me doing the work and making the choice for you. Are you going to alter the panels in your stuff in any way, or does the interaction end if the people suggesting it don't throw some gutters on there for you?

UnknownSaint on