Options

Tell me what you think of my webcomic...(NSFW)

• Options
    PolksterPolkster Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Fat arms are a bitch... did I mention I draw everything in ballpoint pen? Yeah, it's hard to edit fat arms so I dropped them. But I did add gutters! Kind of trade-off progress I suppose...

nyucomic81.png

Polkster on
  • Options
    Vandal NYVandal NY Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I like the li'l squarey ones a lot from that last comic. I like your work a lot, I've read every one. It's pretty consistently amusing.

Vandal NY on
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Why is it your cash registers are operated solely by black people?

Are you trying to tell us something?

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Alright...i admit it...i'm hooked...

Need mOOoooOoOORe!!!

DeeLock on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    It's not my fault that the local Duane Reade's staff is entirely African American... would you prefer I buy my groceries in a WHITER part of town? Hmmm...?

BTW: If you like it, you can join the Facebook fan group (just search PolkOut) there's also a MySpace one from back in the day.

Polkster on
  • Options
    DBoonDBoon Registered User new member
    edited April 2008
    MKR wrote: »
    Random examples:
    http://www.polkout.com/page27.htm

What is supposed to be funny here?

http://www.polkout.com/page46.htm

This sort of joke is rarely funny.

http://www.polkout.com/page59.htm

What?

http://www.polkout.com/page6.htm

See above.

http://www.polkout.com/page2.htm

So he's annoyed by a person who is a trivia nerd. Where is the punch line? I see no joke here.

http://www.polkout.com/page36.htm

Is Dutch the guy's name, or is it a...uh...term of endearment? This could be funny, but it's overdone. You spend far too much time on a joke that doesn't warrant the effort.

I had others, but it's all pretty much the same. These are all fine as inside jokes among your friends, but we're not your friends. We don't have context, or the history behind the jokes. They fall flat on anyone on the outside.

1. He is implying that his childhood business was a stand where he sucked on the chests of women. Funny.

2. This is true, although I found this one not-unfunny at worst.

3. He and his friends are ordering food, they see Matzoh Ball Soup, and the character is Jewish, so his friends force him to order this Jewish ethnic food. Funny.

4. He is talking about the movie "Slingblade." Funny.

5. He is doing a lab with a partner, yet is not participating in the lab at all. He is sitting there saying random things, annoying the partner who does actual work. Then he offhandedly says something about the lab the working partner is doing incorrectly. Funny.

6. The "Dutch" term is irrelevant. The punch is the last frame. Sort of funny.

I just wanted to point this out because I think MKR didn't think this comic is funny because he simply does not comprehend the joke, which I think make references to fairly non-obscure pop culture and collegiate / adolescent situations. Yes, I think someone didn't think a "fart joke" comic was funny because they did not catch the references and large words (oral mammogram).

In fact, this comic juxtaposes low brow humor with high brow vocabulary with plenty of references to being in college, and it's really pretty damn funny.

Obviously the art is having some problems, and I'd like to see this become less anime and more Home Movies-esque, but you cannot deny the flat out hilarity of some of these.

The one real critique I'd give the author non-art-wise is: before you publish a comic, say to yourself, "if some complete stranger posted this comic on the internet, would I find it funny?" most of yours meet this mantra, but some (i.e. the drunk barfing friend) were not funny whatsoever.

And there will be naysayers who point to that one weak comic and damn the entire series because of it

DBoon on
  • Options
    The EarlThe Earl Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I like the humor that's coming through on your comic even though I wish the artwork were more refined. Wouldn't keep me from reading it, just wish I could enjoy the art as much as the writing.

The one where he's discussing the soothing experience of pistachios is a good one. It reminds me of Calvin and Hobbes, when he's sitting at lunch with Susie having a a nice one sided conversation about random shit.

Similarly, Calvin and Hobbes would get occasionally wordy, but for me, as long as the punchline was worth it, I don't mind. However, posting a few wordy comics that lead to a letdown at the end will probably have me skipping anything with more than a few lines.

The Earl on
    | Flickr | Steam | KROQ | Game Center The_Earl
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    DBoon wrote: »
    stuff

I got the jokes, I just didn't think they were funny. Surely you don't think I don't know words like "oral" and "mammogram". That's just silly.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Thanks for all the kind words!

And yeah, I'm not particularly proud of the barfing friend one but I wrote it the morning of and... well... I guess the events of that evening (panicking over whether or not the fridge was now full of piss) were still strong on my mind.

Polkster on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I just want to make it clear that I'm not trying to disparage the comic. The fact that people I respect (AC people) say they like it is enough for me to say it's just not for me.

MKR on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The easter bunny one. Fucking hilarious.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Easter bunny goes on sale this week! I'm freakin' psyched! Supposedly they'll be a quarter apiece, I'm gonna buy 'em all on my way to the gym.

Polkster on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    On... sale...?

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, they go "On Sale", as in the price is discounted. Is that a phrase not common where you're from?

Polkster on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    English, it's an ambiguous mistress. I thought you meant you were selling your comic, in printed form. That is, it was 'on sale'.

God this is awkward.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Oh I understand. No I wasn't planning to selling my comic in print form at this time, the ROI would be too low to non-existent, however if you'd like a copy I have a black and white laser printer, if you don't mind paying thirty-five cents for shipping...

Polkster on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Thirty-five cents? Fuckers always get you with the postage.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    The hell do you think I am?! Amazon.com?! I'm sorry sir, I just don't run that big of an operation that I can be all loosey-goosey with my expenses.

Polkster on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    NYUcomic83.png

New one!

Polkster on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    That's funny because it's true, Fair Trade coffee really does taste like dog piss.
    I've had a barely touched jar of it sitting on my desk for two years.

EDIT: Yeah but slavery is bad *wags finger* Shame on you.......
    :D

Mustang on
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You've come a long way. This last one is easily my favourite. Keep on not sucking!

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    You've come a long way. This last one is easily my favourite. Keep on not sucking!

Thanks, not sucking is pretty much my greatest ambition.

Polkster on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    New one's up guys!

Polkster on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited May 2008
    Ummm... where?

Grifter on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Mang, you so funny now. Put a link to your site in your sig or something.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Well said... I shall do that now.

Edit: Did it, it shows up right in my control panel preview but I don't see it here. Don't know what the deal is.

And www.PolkOut.com is the website url.

Polkster on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    New one's a little weird...

NYUcomic85.png

Polkster on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2008
    Facial expression is great on that last one. Ever think of isolating the text within a color? You use alot of text, which doesn't lend itself to the conventional bubble, it seems to be working as you have it, but I occasionally think text lying on the color cut line is distracting.

I also really like it when you show the whole figure, and still kinda wish you did it more. But its :^: anyway.

Iruka on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Dude, seriously, these have gotten way better.

I honestly wasn't a fan of the potty humor in the first ones, but it's on my daily read list now.

Good work!

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Dude, seriously, these have gotten way better.

I honestly wasn't a fan of the potty humor in the first ones, but it's on my daily read list now.

Good work!

...though I appreciate your enthusiasm you probably ought to know it's only updated weekly.

Polkster on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Polkster wrote: »
    New one's a little weird...

CHESTYLOLS

This wasn't weird, unless your definition of weird is "AMAZING".

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Thanks! :D

Polkster on
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm liking this thing, sir! I love the stick arms and the faces. It's very.. Don Hertzfeldt/KC Green.

TheBog on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Question: Some people have told me my comic is "a good parody of the hipster lifestyle" and someone once told me my comic was too "emo".

As a dude who pretty much just wears jeans and t-shirts, listens exclusively to classic rock, and whose glasses don't have any frames, much less those thick black ones, I was kind of taken aback. Does anyone else see these elements in my comic and if so, can you explain them to me?

Polkster on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    My take is that they're just finding a cheap way of describing a character whose perspective of the world revolves around finding importance in the trivial, is bluntly sarcastic and is a loud mouth.

Basically, they hate everything that's good about America.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    hahahah i am going to add to the whole "this comic actually got pretty good" thing

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    My take is that they're just finding a cheap way of describing a character whose perspective of the world revolves around finding importance in the trivial, is bluntly sarcastic and is a loud mouth.

Basically, they hate everything that's good about America.

Alright, that was what I thought. Thanks.

Polkster on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Here's the newest one...

NYUcomic86.png

Polkster on
  • Options
    KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Nice.

Kajusta on