As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[IC] Mutants and Masterminds - Claremont Academy - Chapter 1: Orientation

• Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Crovaxan wrote: »

"Alright now whatever happens just stay calm." After a brief moment to clear his mind, Domink attempts to create a wormhole above Chastity that will deposit her on top of the table.
    Chastity's Defense is listed as a 18, meaning you miss by a considerable margin

The wormhole appears approximately 10 feet to the left of Chastity, appearing instead over the table where the shapechanging girl and ant boy were sitting with some others. It begins to draw in their food and personal items and seems to shock them a great deal.

Check: DC 18 Will Save. On a failure, you will regard the wormhole with fear, though you don't know why.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Jo=5, Chastity=4

Jo hears the commotion going on near her, twisting to look at it...eyes widening at the sight. "What in the...!?" She pushes closer to the table, and her twin. Chastity looks back down from where she would have sworn she felt something, bumping into Jo as she turns to rubberneck as well. She manages to let out a yelp of surprise, as she connects the two events, not staying calm at all. The two girls are practically in the same seat by now, trying to scoot away from Dom as they latch onto each other.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Skerrk's shoulders slump, and the long tendril trailing from the back of his head droops as Grace angrily takes away her plate. He can do nothing but nod, slightly dumbfounded, at James' advice. Humans are very specific about their interactions, he thought to himself, maybe that's what happens to people who aren't running - maybe they're so picky because they had time to get bored?

No. How could they be bored? They have TV!

Skerrk was about explain to Jo that his family were also runners, but found himself interrupted by Dom's display. His eyes widen and his jaws goes slack. "Njgktktkt Okchkt!" he gasps. Overcome by fear, Skerrk dives, disappearing into the ground, leaving behind a small pile of undigested lentils and silverware.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    James sees Domink start to concentrate and decides to watch what might be an interesting display. Hearing the commotion behind him he turns around to see some sort of portal open above the table and everything being sucked into it. "huh, interesting. What is it? A form of worm hole or something?"

Lardalish on
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The wormhole seems to be becoming unstable, and those nearest too it are clearly disturbed, some are doing everything they can to get away from it, but they seem to be having a lot of difficulty. It seems to be growing stronger in the moments that have elapsed since it appeared, and is drawing them in. The girl nearest to it, who even though it is plainly apparent that she's terrified is inhumanly beautiful screams as she starts to lose her footing and begins to be drawn into it.

"Eve!" The ant boy from before shouts and rushes forward and grabs her hand, trying to pull her back. However, he seems to be unable to resist the gravitational anomaly and is pulled in himself. They both disappear into the vortex.

Older students are approaching the wormhole, pulling back the freshmen as they get nearer. The dark-skinned boy from before and a girl with long, dark hair. She shouts over the din of the rising panic "KA! Can you close it?"

He nods confidently, but he has a worried look in his eye.

"I'm going in after them. If I can't get them home, find us with Navigatrix. I can't tell where it's going to take us."

Your not sure if she's flying or if she was just overtaken by the gravitational pull of the worm hole, but she flies in like the other two and disappears.

The dark-skinned boy brings his hands together with a loud CLAP! and shoves his hands into the worm hole. Blue white energy seems to be battling with the gravitational anomaly, but eventually overtakes it and the wormhole disappears. The dark-skinned boy falls to his knees breathing hard, apparently exhausted.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008

Kent drops his fork, luckily just before he puts the last mouthful of food into his mouth.

"Is that an actual wormhole? This is more than just a gravity distortion...you're manipulating the fabric of space-time itself! That's Awesome!"
    Looks like Kent is so caught up in the scientific ramnifications of the wormhole, he forgot to be scared. :P

Oh, and please pretend this happended BEFORE people got sucked in there.

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Chastity's chair suddenly tumbles onto one side, empty, dragging slowly across the ground towards the portal. When the wormhole closes, it just rests there, halfway between their table and the kneeling student. Mackenzie stares at the spot where the anomaly once was, blinking as she tries to process what just happened. "...you wanted to do that to ME!?"

The tall girl stood up from Jo's chair, the outfit the twins were wearing a moment ago stretched out and distorted, glaring down at Dom. "Maybe I oughtta demonstrate somethin' on you, huh?" As she lifts her right hand, an ominous, pulsing glow flickers to life around it. At the moment, she seems much more concerned with what could have happened to her, than what has actually happened to her fellow students.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Staring incredulously at the vanishing portal, Kent looks a bit scared for his fellow students who disappeared through the portal. That's probably not a good sign...

As the twins begin to join and threaten Dom, Kent will quickly get up, extending a ham-hand towards the twins and one towards Dom as he prepares to move between them. "Now now...let's not be hasty here. I think we all just need to be reasonable and let the teachers worry about punishment..."

El Skid on
  • Options
    JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Adeipho jumps to his feet as the blackhole gets out of control, grasping the table's edge tightly. He freezes there, unsure of what to do as he scans the room for other dangers. The danger over nearly as soon as it began he untenses and flashes a smile to the others, tossing his hands up in the air, "Oopsy!"

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Grace calmly finishes her food and sets the plate on the table in front of her.

"At least you scared off squid-boy," she says with a smirk.

Quoth on
  • Options
    CrovaxanCrovaxan Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Domink quickly panics as he loses control of his wormhole. "It-It wasn't supposed to do that!" He Frantically tries to stabilize the wormhole into a portal to decrease it's growth. "Let me just gain control of it, and i can bring everything back." Domink begins to sweat as he tries to direct the wormhole exit back to the cafeteria, but is unable to as hefears for the safety of those already sucked in.

Come on man! You can DO this, your not going to make the same mistake as last time!

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
    Crovax.436 Steam: Crovaxan
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Suddenly the wormhole closes. Domink slumps to the ground form exhaustion. "I saw where it dropped them." After a few moments to regain his compusure he looks around at the people at his table. "They are at a warehouse somewhere, they looked unconscious. I think i heard someone yelling." Standing up quickly he looks around for a staff or senior student in the school uniform. "We need to notify the staff quick! I don't know what could be happening!"

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    As the fear passes, Skerrk re-emerges from the ground, the top his head poking up through the floor. "Djoes... Djoes that happen a lot hk here?"

DE?AD on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    "What the hell, man! What the hell were you thinking! Are you stupid! You are a stupid show-off! It's only our first day!"

Amelia is not pleased.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    James whips out his laptop, lays his hands on the keyboard and within moments the PA system is blaring with a Stephen Hawking-esque voice, "Attention faculty, there is an emergency in the cafeteria, repeat, an emergency in the cafeteria."

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Dom turns to Amellia "Alright look it was an accident. Yes i shouldn't have done it and i'm sorry. You gonna sit there and berate me or what?"

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    "Yes! Yes I am! What the hell were you thinking?"

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Mackenzie frowns as the big guy inserts himself between her and Dom, but she slowly lowers her hand. The glow fades away as she calms herself somewhat...regaining a more natural smile as one of the other students does a rather good job of taking Dom to task. As the PA comes to life, that strange voice broadcasting the situation, she puts her hands on her hips.

"Yeah, let's get the staff in here. I wanna lodge a complaint against this guy..." She glanced back to the table, and the nameplates, just to make sure. "Domink. I'm just lucky he's got horrible aim." After trying to lean slightly past Kent to glare at Dom, she gave up and turned away from him. Looking over at the table where all the activity was taking place, she waited to see what the upperclassmen and staff were planning to do. "And now we're prob'ly all lumped into the same group with him..." She mumbled, twisting her head back towards her table for a moment.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    A few minutes pass and a couple members of the staff enter, Duncan Summers himself and man wearing track pants and a Claremont T-shirt who seems confused. "... no, seriously now. When did we have an intercom system installed?"

Mr Summers surveys the scene and then calmly asks "What's happened here?" as he leans on his cane.

The dark-skinned boy who closed the portal stands up, having caught his breath. "Sir, Angst and Whoop-Ant were drawn into a intra-universe wormhole that one of the new students created but lost control of... accidentally. It became unstable and drew in Eve and Anthony. Serena went in after them and I transmuted the singularity back to equilibrium before it got anymore out of hand. But Serena didn't just pop them back here, so they are presumably confused or hurt."

Mr. Summers turns to Dom and studies him. "Don't look so worried, at least, not yet. Your hear to learn to control your powers, we aren't going to punish you every time you lose control. But we need to find out where our three students went. Do you have any idea where you sent them?"

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    When James sees the faculty members enter, the PA system shuts off and James puts his computer back up. Then turning to the faculty, "Sorry about hacking your system, but it seemed quicker and more likely to reach more of the faculty if I used the PA system than to try and run out and find you all."

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Domnik's face cracks into an embarrassed grin. "Thank you." He responds a little sheepeshly. "Before it closed i saw a warehouse somewhere, and they looked unconscious. here was also some yelling or something." Suddenly gaining confidence he takes a step toward Mr. Duncan. "It's completely my fault sir. I'm begging you to let me bring them back! it's the least i could do."

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Duncan smiles at Dom. "You'll get your chance. Unfortunately, as it's a week before the official start of term, the majority of the older students are at home with their families. We will, therefore, require volunteers to go and recover the lost students, once we figure out where they are. Mr. Archer, " he says, looking at the teacher with him. "I will be consulting with Navigatrix, hopefully she will be able to lock onto their location. Get anyone who wishes to volunteer suited up and arrange for transportation."

Duncan turns towards the exit and limps away.

Mr. Archer looks to the students and cracks a smile. "Who's up for some fun?"

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    "I caused this, it's only right that I should fix it. Count me in."

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Skerrk floated up out of the ground. Runners, as a culture, were anything but self-sacrificing - as children, runners are constantly taught the importance of survival, told to leaves others behind if they're slowing them down, told to put their own lives above those of all others.

Luckily, Skerrk had never really listened.

Plus, he'd seen one of these "wormholes" before, at the end of the tunnel that had brought him to this place. Maybe his family had made it out of those caves as well, maybe they had escaped into this other world. Skerrk knew it was unlikely, but it was still possible.

"Nkknm tktkt riiiintj," he chirped, floating forward. "I wjill go, as well."

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    "I'll go sir." says Kent, drawing up to his full height. "I feel partially responsible for this, since I expressed so much excitement over Dom's powers and their potential applications".

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Mackenzie removed her glasses, holding them in one hand as she crossed her arms over her chest. She was smirking as she waited for some sort of punishment to be laid out. It was only right, she thought. As Summers limped away, she just gaped. "Huh? But...?"

She gave Dom the stink eye, as she gathered her wits. Well, the other staff member might not be as easy going. Mackenzie turned to him. "Sir? I can't believe you're just gonna let this...this troublemaker just go out and abuse his powers again. I wouldn't let him outta the school. Yah might even make him clean up alla this mess." She shook her head. "When I think about how close that thing he did came to hurtin' me....and those poor kids, stuck who knows where...? Well, I just don't think this is right..." She gives her best concerned look.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    "I'm with Boobs," Amelia notes, "He should be expelled or something. But for what it's worth, I'm up for saving those poor kids. Someone around here's got to know how to use their powers right."

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    "Well, if coming here was to hone my power, I can't think of a better way than testing them out for real. In other words, I'm volunteering."

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    What a bunch of heroes. If I don't volunteer now, I just look like a bitch. Great.

"I'll be happy to help, sir," Grace says cheerfully, smiling at Mr. Archer.

Quoth on
  • Options
    JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Adeipho, still in a chipper mood gives a faux-salute to Archer, saying excitedly "I am being joined to your mission!. It is a pleasure of mine."

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Professor Archer looks at Mackenzie. "I'm sure an opportunity to make up for his mistake will present itself in due course, and we'll leave that to Professor Summers. But for now Ameilia, James, Kent, Skerrk, Domink, Adeipho, Grace, Jo, er, Chastity?... Macenzie. Come with me and we'll get suited up."

He walks to the back of the Diana Falk Cafeteria and stops at a Fire Alarm. He pulls the lever and turns it like a key. The wall slides open revealing an elevator door. He punches a few numbers into the keypad and it opens to admit you.

After traveling down a short way, you find yourself in some sort of basement hallway, seemingly comprised entirely of highly polished steel. You suspect that this might be a bomb shelter of some sort. You think you're following him west, but it's hard to be sure down here. You pass a sign labeled "Carriage House" next to another elevator. It is quickly becoming apparent that this is a series of tunnels that connect all the campus buildings.

Eventually, you come out of the tunnel in a underground complex of some sort. The nearest elevator tells you that you're below the Jasmine Summers Administration Building.

"Welcome to Sub-Level One." Professor Archer states matter-of-factly. "There are living quarters on this level, and the briefing room is over there. Go get suited up and be ready to go in 10, there should be uniforms in the closet. Professor Summers should be with us shortly for a place to start."

He points to the living quarters.

"Oh. You'll need to come up with a code name."

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Mackenzie nodded as Amelia echoed her feelings. Then blinked. "Hey...what'd you just call me?" She looked ready to fire back, before Archer interrupted her. "But, he..." She didn't even get a chance to continue, as he started listing off names. As he stumbled over which one of her names to use, her eyes widened. "Wait just a minute...!"

She was getting ready to protest, mouth hanging open as she suddenly realized she couldn't really back out of this after what she'd already said. The secret entrance opening was also rather distracting. The facility she'd been at before wasn't quite this...well...cool, really. She might as well go along for the ride. Maybe she'd have a chance to 'accidentally' blow something up a little too close to Dom.

After his little explanation, she sighed...slipping her glasses back on. "I'm gonna need two suits." The adjustments to Mackenzie's clothing never really worked as well in reverse.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Skerrk wrings his hands and glances about nervously before floating forward (passing through Mackenzie's shoulder in the process). "Um, sir," he says quietly, letting out a burst of rapid-fire hkhkhkhks, sounding like a Geiger counter with a bad cold. "Aboukt the unikfjorms... the dress code may be... problematickhk for me as wjell."

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Professor Archer looks at Skerrk like he just said something extremely offensive without meaning to. "Oh! Yes of course, you won't need to wear one. Unless you, you know, want to try, or something."

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Amelia does not express her horror at the thought of doing heroism while also being forced to show school spirit, but the horror is there. Yes, there is horror.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Grace appraises the uniforms coolly. Nice material, light and stretchy. Thicker than I'm used to, but it'll do. Maybe the skirts later, but for now...

With a glance at the boys, she grabs one of the jumpsuits and heads for the nearest bathroom stall/changing room.

Quoth on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Kent goes to the closet and selects the biggest uniform. He starts to try it on without much hope; He hasn't had much luck finding things that are his size without special orders.

To his astonishment, the biggest uniform is much too large for him. His face goes from confusion to glee- I think I might fit in here after all. he thinks, selecting an appropriately sized uniform and heading off to find a place to change that isn't full of girls.

"Code names too? Hmm... I'll be 'Rocko'." he declares, heading into one of the living quarters.

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Taking a glance at the costumes, the tendril on the back of Skerrk's head droops and his gaze drops to the floor. "Maybe I wjill try lakter."

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Mackenzie lets out a startled 'gyah!' as her shoulder is phased through by the strange being. She rubs at it with her other hand, making a sour face. She keeps an eye on him, as she moves to find a pair of uniforms in the same size. One regular, and one with skirt. She looks for a room she hopes will not be occupied, slipping inside to change. In more than one way. Nobody had really noticed the first time, but she didn't really feel like putting on a show quite yet.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    James follows the professor and when the fire alarm turns into a door control his eyes open wide, oh man, not only do I get to use my powers, but I get to be part of some secret crime fighting thing? Awesome.

He picks out one of the suits, "I assume that whatever we'll be in outside of here will need to match these? I'll need a paint job for my suit then. It's down in storage, if someone can tell me where I can get the equipment to do that I'll get right on that, but Ill have to go unmarked today."

Lardalish on