Options

[Interest on] The Wheel of Time

2»

• Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    polajum wrote: »
    I've actually run this game, and it went pretty well. There are a couple of cautions I'd like to give whoever ends up GMing it, though.

Anytime you run a game in an established world, the ongoing metaplot can crunch your campaign if you're not careful. With a brutally huge epic like WoT, it can get pretty hard to avoid it. I'd suggest avoiding campaigns that center on following major characters around-in fact, I'd suggest at least thinking about a campaign that stays well away from the main plotline altogether for the most part.

The D20 magic system doesn't mirror the magic in the books well at all. What worked for me was running the spells as is for the most part, but being more open to creative uses of them than I normally am. It's still not the almost freeform threadweaving you see in the books, but it seemed to keep everyone happy for the most part.

It's not a problem, but if you're wanting to start at relatively low levels and you have characters who are Tower trained you're going to have to come up with some explanation as to why they're away from the Tower. Full Aes Sedai and Warders are prestige classes you can't get to very early.

Lastly, I'll warn anyone who wants to play an Aiel. The D20 Aiel is a really interesting take on a rogue/light fighter variant. It's not an out-of-the-box buttkicking machine. To match the books, Aiel probably should be a prestige class, but mechanically that doesn't work well with the way Aiel society works (I couldn't see making all Aiel fighter types play vanilla warriors for five or so levels). There's nothing wrong with the class as is, just accept it like that and you'll be happier.

Good luck getting your game together. Hope you guys have fun.

The other way to do this is how I always ran Dragonlance when set in the chronicles, just replace the book characters with the players and let the chips fall where they may. Its very fun that way as long as you have players who arent dedicated to the lore at the all costs. I think I did it three times over the years ...once they lost the war, once they won, and the other time a player assumed the Raistlin role a little early and assumed control of the opposing forces, it split the party down the middle and became a war campaign between the two parties....all were fun for different reasons.

Hawkstone on
    Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I guess it was stupid of me to try to get into this when I haven't finished the series. I'll be kicking myself in the ass if I spoil anything for myself by reading this thread.

Thanks for the heads up on telling me not to click the spoiler. I just love clicking things though. Oooooo it gets bigger!

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    learntoflylearntofly Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah that's why I didn't elaborate on it at all.

Edit: Though I should have said specifically it was a real spoiler. Sorry.

learntofly on
  • Options
    TomWhitbrookTomWhitbrook Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The D20 version of Wheel of Time is one of those books I never got around to buying, which I now curse as a terrible failure of mine. However, thinking about it (and we're totally in media res here, I just thought this as I was typing.), you could make an interesting campaign that leads up to the PC's battling and eventually capturing Logain, just prior to us getting into the events of the book. With a little creativity, you could get into the suitably epic without being crushed by the events of the books. Or is this madness? I'm not really sure, as it's getting rather late over here.

TomWhitbrook on
    tomwhitbrook.png
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Personally, I'd shy away with doing anything related with the story line. To be involved with his capture we'd have to be full rank Aes Sedai. So we'd have to all be female high level channelers.

Best to do a custom adventure so people can play the kind of classes they want to play. I know at least one person was interested in playing a male channeler, whom I doubt would be interested in trying to capture Logain!

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I wanna be Domani. or Illianer (just so i can type in that accent. gods i love it)

But yeah, so wanna be a Domani Green.

that's it. I'll be the Domani Green and you can all be my warders. woot

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I wanna be Domani. or Illianer (just so i can type in that accent. gods i love it)

Whore:P

LaOs on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    LaOs wrote: »

only if you're paying me darling.

otherwise, I'm just a Domani Green.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    LaOs wrote: »

only if you're paying me darling.

otherwise, I'm just a Domani Green.

No difference :P

LaOs on
  • Options
    learntoflylearntofly Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I am 100% for training to be a warder -> become one !

learntofly on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    A friend and I are brainstorming for possible campaigns. I think we are just gonna go small where we sent some of you out to find something. Terangreal most likely. Any suggestions while we are just in the concept stage?

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ruins of Manetherin? That gives potential for freaky way-gate action.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I actually own this book, I loved reading it. I only made one character, though. I was supposed to play in Spoony's (the guy who wrote crazy movie rants for KoDT) game, but it never took off. I'd love to play if it would all work out.

I could theoretically GM something. But my track record online, on here in particular, is really bad. So I don't think I should. Maybe I can just offer some help.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    GruffGruff Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Are there any places left open? I was always interested in the WoT Game.

Gruff on
    naxxramas.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Updated OP to show more interested players.

Gruff this game hasn't taken off yet. I was hoping to find someone with a campaign put together that would want to host, but wasn't able to get one, so I think I'm gonna start drawing up my own campaign. It'll be my first attempt at one so it may be a while. But I added you to the list of people interested, so when it comes time I'll just go down the list to see who wants to play. From the looks of it we have around 10 players interested, so that's enough for 2 games.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Like I said, I could probably help out in some way. So, I'll check in.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    You got a campaign?

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Not ready to go, no. I've read all the books, RPed on one of the WoT MUDs, and run plenty of d20 games/campaigns before. So I could definitely try to help you along. But everything I've tried to run myself here has ended badly, so I shouldn't volunteer to run something myself with that type of history.

I'm going to work now, but if you want to PM me or AIM me later, we can chat.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Not ready to go, no. I've read all the books, RPed on one of the WoT MUDs, and run plenty of d20 games/campaigns before. So I could definitely try to help you along. But everything I've tried to run myself here has ended badly, so I shouldn't volunteer to run something myself with that type of history.

I'm going to work now, but if you want to PM me or AIM me later, we can chat.

What is it about your history here that has gone so poorly, if I may ask?

LaOs on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    The first thing I ran died because of problems with scheduling and nobody showing up, etc. I gave up on the second one for personal reasons (not related to the players), which was crappy to do. But, it did give me time to get a job. So, after having one failed group and failing the second myself, it's probably best I not try again. I do really like WoT and this book, though.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    As a heads-up: there is a huge power difference between channelers and non-channelers in this game. I mean enormous gap, which is loyal to the book, but may frustrate some people used to RPGs that attempt to balance things.

Algai d'Siswai isn't a bad class, but you really need to multiclass with it to get the most out of it. For instance, I played a male Algai d'Siswai/Wilder when I played it, and that was a fucking ton of fun.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Ya know.. I shoudl really read the book, huh? *L* I've had it for over a week, and just haven't read it. I shall do that today!

lonelyahava on