Options

[Interest on] The Wheel of Time

RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Critical Failures
The Wheel of Time turns and Ages come and go.
What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow.
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

What is The Wheel of Time?
Wikipedia wrote:
The Wheel of Time (abbreviated by fans to WoT) is a bestselling fantasy book series written by Robert Jordan. It is known for the extreme density of its plot, the intricate detail of its imaginary world and constructed languages, and complexity of relationships and interactions among characters. There are 11 books published in the series so far. Books 8-11 have each reached #1 on the New York Times bestseller list, and most of the books have been on the list at one time or another. As of 18 September 2007 the series has sold over 30 million copies worldwide.[1] The series has spawned several games* and a soundtrack.

*One of those games being what this thread is about.

Here's the book you'll need (may not need it if someone is willing to get you the info you need via PMs):
wheel-of-time-rpg.jpg

I just recently began reading the series, and am about 1/5 into the fourth book. It's very engrossing, but if you've already read the books, I'm just stating the obvious. And when I found there was a d20 RPG based on the story, I grew sudden interest. I've still never played a d20 tabletop RPG, but I am very interested and would like to make this my second (I'm about to start a Dark Heresy campaign as my first, as soon as I get the book and everyone is up and running).

With that being said, I'm looking for someone to be the GM (or I guess what most people would know as DM) and a few others willing to play. I was lucky enough to pick up the book for $20 at a local used book shop, and the book is in perfect condition. Pages look as though the book was opened 1 or twice. A few scratches here and there on the surface, but only noticed in light.

The game is no longer in print, so I would imagine finding others who are interested would be quite an impossible feat, but I'm hoping to get lucky. Even searching Google brings up few worthy results, showing the lack of support for the game these days.

I was lucky enough to find this site up and running. Probably no longer updated by the user, but it has a lot of information on the site and can be helpful.

So if you played this game back in the day and you have a campaign or two you would wanna run, or if you're interested in creating a character and adventuring (hopefully) with me, post it here and let's see what kind of interest sparks up.

Also, if you have a campaign or will make a campaign, please keep in mind that I'm still only in the fourth book, so try not to contain spoilers.
Interested players:

Shorn Scrotum Man
Lonelyahava
Grimdog420
Fiaryn
Learntofly
Toystedeth
Kratalightblade
Tomwhitbrook
Reynolds
Gruff

steam_sig.png
Ryadic on

• Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I have this book. Interested too.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Whoa a response?! 3 minutes?! This is looking good. :D

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Don't have the book, but can easily get it.

so completely interested.

but, with work schedule, would only really be able to do PbP at the moment.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Pretty sure it will be PbP since I'm not expecting a huge response to this, that will suit most needs.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GrimDog420GrimDog420 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    interest++

GrimDog420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    then I'm all for it. I've been reading the books since about book 8 came out in hardback. my senior year english teacher recommended them. And I just love the world and everything. I think I've since reread the series about four times.... maybe six.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Including myself, that's 4 people. Any of you wanting to DM?

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I still have to read the book.... so, probably not *L*

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I've never DM'd before and really don't have the free time at the moment (hurray for school and internship!) to devote to putting together a campaign :(

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Ok, well hopefully someone else will see this that will be willing to DM. I'm in no rush to get this started at the moment, just trying to get an interest base first.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Bump. Still needing someone to DM.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Man, I haven't got time to DM, and have never read the D20 Book, though I did see it once. But man, I love the world, too bad half the books are so bad. I've probably read the whole series (whole being "complete up to the last book written at the time I read it") 6 times.

God I'm a dork.
    I'll certainly watch this game if nothing else.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Well if we don't get someone to DM we obviously won't be able to get a game going, so it may not happen. Maybe once all the other games end, someone will be up for DMing this. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    well, to be honest it's very hard to get a game going by fishing for a GM

I think you should try and host it, I mean I don't have much experience GMing myself but that doesn't stop me from running in head-first

plus if you have questions, the community is poised to help

just saying if you want this game to happen, the quickest way would be to sit behind the screen :)

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I don't feel comfortable hosting a game with no experience. Maybe after this Dark Heresy game wraps up or even partially into it, I'll be comfortable enough to do it.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GrimDog420GrimDog420 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    yea i cant gm it, my first rpg in 20 years is the dark heresy campaign thats about to start.

GrimDog420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You know, I'm kind of interested but I'm a bit afraid that you'll die fifteen years into the campaign and before it even finishes! I don't want to be left hanging and all.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Hey, at least the guy who's finishing the series swears he'll say who killed Asmodean.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    we'd better find out answers to a hell of a lot more than just who killed Asmodean.

A lot more.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    we'd better find out answers to a hell of a lot more than just who killed Asmodean.

A lot more.

I really really hope this isn't a spoiler since you didn't put it in a spoiler. God I'm only on book 4 and I don't know who Asmodean is.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    It's not an epic one, as spoilers go. We could do alot worse.

He's introduced in the book your reading, if I recall correctly. Don't worry, you don't lose anything plot-wise knowing he dies.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    It's like knowing Harry Potter spoiler
    Snape kills Dumbledore.
    Kind of took the surprise out, but then again that was a big spoiler. As long as you don't say something like Perrin kills Mat or something, that would be huge for me if that were an actual spoiler.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    learntoflylearntofly Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If there ends up being a GM for this, I would totally love to be part of it. I've been trying to convince people for a while to play it with me to no avail.

learntofly on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Well to those that have played this game, tell us your experiences and what you think of it. We could just turn this into a discussion thread if we can't get a game going and maybe that discussion will spark more interest.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Ryadic wrote: »
    Snape kills Dumbledore.
    Kind of took the surprise out, but then again that was a big spoiler. As long as you don't say something like Perrin kills Mat or something, that would be huge for me if that were an actual spoiler.

Actually Ryadic, it's more like someone who's seen all of Star Wars telling someone who has only watched up to Empire that
    someone kills Jabba the Hutt
    without telling who. Sure, it might have been nice to see him bite it without knowing it would happen, but he wasn't super integral. It's not like Homer's epic spoiler of the end of Empire.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KrataLightbladeKrataLightblade Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Well to those that have played this game, tell us your experiences and what you think of it. We could just turn this into a discussion thread if we can't get a game going and maybe that discussion will spark more interest.

As much as I have grown to dislike the d20 system with smoldering annoyance, this game actually looks like it might be a decent play. Unfortunately, while the world is a wonderful world, and would make great and wonderful fodder for RP, I'd rather see it done diceless, or with a system dedicated to specifically get what the world's about, rather than "converted D&D".

But again, as d20 systems go, this one gets less bile from me than usual.

KrataLightblade on
    LEVEL 50 SWORD JUGGLER/WIZARD!
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Snape kills Dumbledore.

Yeah, like Tofystedeth said, his death really isn't a major factor in anything (that anybody is aware of yet, anyways).

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008

As much as I have grown to dislike the d20 system with smoldering annoyance, this game actually looks like it might be a decent play. Unfortunately, while the world is a wonderful world, and would make great and wonderful fodder for RP, I'd rather see it done diceless, or with a system dedicated to specifically get what the world's about, rather than "converted D&D".

If you think you can come up with another system that's not d20 and implement it, be my guest. I honestly just want to get in an adventure in the world that I love so much. I'm not really set on the d20 system, I just thought since it's already published, why not?

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Snape kills Dumbledore.

Yeah, like Tofystedeth said, his death really isn't a major factor in anything (that anybody is aware of yet, anyways).

Yeah, I know, but it's also like if I were to tell my friend, who is currently on book one, that Rand is
    The Dragon Reborn
    it would take out the surprise, especially since he probably doesn't even know what
    The Dragon
    is to begin with, unless he payed close attention to the prolouge. But thanks for putting my mind at ease that this isn't a major spoiler.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KrataLightbladeKrataLightblade Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

If you think you can come up with another system that's not d20 and implement it, be my guest. I honestly just want to get in an adventure in the world that I love so much. I'm not really set on the d20 system, I just thought since it's already published, why not?

Note very specifically my use of the term "diceless" above. That's my preferred style of roleplay, either entirely diceless or with a very simple system that is subject to judgement calls.

KrataLightblade on
    LEVEL 50 SWORD JUGGLER/WIZARD!
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Man, that prologue confused the hell out of me the first time I read the book. I was in 4th grade and the whole in medias res thing really threw me. After I finished the third or fourth book I went back and reread the prologue, and was like "Wow! All these characters and stuff! I know who they are now!"

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Snape kills Dumbledore.

It's not really even on that level of spoiler...

[Edit]
    And it's not on the same level as your counter example, either.

Tofystedeth's hit it on the head, really. That spoiler doesn't ruin much of anything.

LaOs on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Yeah... he'll understand us soon enough.

But Asmodean dying is no where near as big a spoiler as the Rand thing. Asmodean as a character isn't terribly important in the scheme of things.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    polajumpolajum Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I've actually run this game, and it went pretty well. There are a couple of cautions I'd like to give whoever ends up GMing it, though.

Anytime you run a game in an established world, the ongoing metaplot can crunch your campaign if you're not careful. With a brutally huge epic like WoT, it can get pretty hard to avoid it. I'd suggest avoiding campaigns that center on following major characters around-in fact, I'd suggest at least thinking about a campaign that stays well away from the main plotline altogether for the most part.

The D20 magic system doesn't mirror the magic in the books well at all. What worked for me was running the spells as is for the most part, but being more open to creative uses of them than I normally am. It's still not the almost freeform threadweaving you see in the books, but it seemed to keep everyone happy for the most part.

It's not a problem, but if you're wanting to start at relatively low levels and you have characters who are Tower trained you're going to have to come up with some explanation as to why they're away from the Tower. Full Aes Sedai and Warders are prestige classes you can't get to very early.

Lastly, I'll warn anyone who wants to play an Aiel. The D20 Aiel is a really interesting take on a rogue/light fighter variant. It's not an out-of-the-box buttkicking machine. To match the books, Aiel probably should be a prestige class, but mechanically that doesn't work well with the way Aiel society works (I couldn't see making all Aiel fighter types play vanilla warriors for five or so levels). There's nothing wrong with the class as is, just accept it like that and you'll be happier.

Good luck getting your game together. Hope you guys have fun.

polajum on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Just a bump to see if anyone is interested, else I'll let the thread die til I decide to make a campaign.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I haven't had a chance to play the game yet, but the idea of playing a male wilder definately appeals to me.
    I really hope this gets off the ground.

learntofly on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Until the Red Ajah find you!

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Or, you know, you go crazy and start rotting.

To those who don't have the book yet: There are Taint rules in this book for male casters. Just FYI.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Both seem acceptable trade-offs.
    Black Tower

learntofly on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    learntofly wrote: »
    Both seem acceptable trade-offs.
    Black Tower

Ryadic, for the love of god don't click that spoiler.

Ryadic, dude, as much as I want to do this, it's gonna be hard for us not to spoil shit for you. There are alot of us who have read all the books who take things for granted that you haven't even encountered.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png