As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Calculus, what the fuck? (Studying too) FINAL UPDATE

13»

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Found out I had about an average of 80 on my homework, so the total ended up being about (38+73+80/300) 63%. So if I fail the final, I'll end up getting a D in the class. Which sucks because if I wouldn't have bombed the 2nd test so badly I wouldn't have to be sweating about this exam.

But this weekend is my official study weekend. Saturday/Sunday and part of Monday (exam is at 3ish) are all dedicated to my understanding of this material. He "went" over the final and told us what we should/shouldn't know. So I'll be hammering out some homework problems from each, and include all the tips present throughout this thread.

Just wanted to say thank you to each and every one of you. If you're ever around Dayton, OH I'll need to take you out for a beer or buy you something! I'll let you know what I get on the final when I find out. Here's hopin'!

urahonky on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Wait, so your final for the class is on Monday? Does your semester really end in March?

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Some schools are on a quarter-system instead of a semester-system.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Right, forgot about that.

Well in any case, good luck. If you run across any stumpers while studying, or if you're cloudy on any concepts, feel free to ask about it here.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Thank you sir, I will certainly do that. I happened to get into a possible study-group that my class is having on Sunday at 5pm. If I'm still having trouble with the practice exams and few homework problems (thanks Cramster!) I'll head over there and see if they can help me.

I'll be sure to ask here as well. :)

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Alright guys. I have a quick question. I am working on a past final from my school (2005 Winter Quarter) and they didn't post the answers, so I just want to see if I'm doing just one or two right.

Here's the link to the test: http://www.math.wright.edu/Calculus/Instruction/Finals/CF230W05.pdf

And for #2 I got the following answers:

a) 1/2
    b) -2/(pi)^2

On part b, since you can plug in PI to the problem and not have it come out indeterminate doesn't that mean that that's the answer? Or do I still have to do L'Hospital's Rule?

Thank you for your time guys. <3

urahonky on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    Alright guys. I have a quick question. I am working on a past final from my school (2005 Winter Quarter) and they didn't post the answers, so I just want to see if I'm doing just one or two right.

Here's the link to the test: http://www.math.wright.edu/Calculus/Instruction/Finals/CF230W05.pdf

And for #2 I got the following answers:

a) 1/2
    b) -2/(pi)^2

On part b, since you can plug in PI to the problem and not have it come out indeterminate doesn't that mean that that's the answer? Or do I still have to do L'Hospital's Rule?

Thank you for your time guys. <3

Both correct. And yeah, L'Hospital only applies if plugging in the value gives you 0/0 or infinity/infinity

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Okay seriously thank you for the swift reply. :)

For 3a, would the integral be:

From 0-20 of ABS(v(t))

Basically the absolute value of velocity function, since it's distance and not displacement?

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Yup.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Much <3 enlightenedbum, much <3

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Alright. The same test as above, but number 8.

The region R is bounded by the curves y=(x-1)^2 , x=0 and y=0

I found out what the graph looks like, but what's the region? Everything that's within the 1st Quadrant? Also, how would I find the area of that?

Bah. If I can just figure this out I think I'll be okay on the final... It must click sometime...

urahonky on
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Alright. The same test as above, but number 8.

The region R is bounded by the curves y=(x-1)^2 , x=0 and y=0

I found out what the graph looks like, but what's the region? Everything that's within the 1st Quadrant? Also, how would I find the area of that?

Bah. If I can just figure this out I think I'll be okay on the final... It must click sometime...

Well, the curve (x-1)² is just the curve x² shifted over to the right one space. Since the region R is bounded by y=(x-1)², y=0 and x=0, that should make it a little tiny space under (x-1)², but above the x-axis and to the right of the y-axis. If you were looking at a graph you might have just missed it, since it's kinda small. You just have to look at all your boundaries and find the space they enclose. If it's looking like they don't enclose anything, the scale of your graph is probably too big. That just happened to me the other day, when I was doing a very similar problem in three dimensions.

So anyway, if you want the area of R, the problem is pretty simple since the X and Y axes are your other boundaries. The area of R = the area under (x-1)² from 0 to 1 =∫(x-1)²dx from 0 to 1.

Taximes on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Oh shit, I didn't even think of that Taximes. Ugh. I'm retarded :P Thank you Tax, I wouldn't have ever saw that with my scale. Lets say they gave us another line, how would the equation look then?

(Oh shi.. You're in Ohio, if you're around Dayton -> Free Beers for you!)

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Okay, I have the following to integrate:
    cramster-equation-20083161523516334127783132775003338.gif

How would I start? I used u=x^3, but that still left some x's in the top. Do I group them together and then take the x out and go from there?

Also: If this is bothering the mods, please let me know. I don't want to create too much of a problem on these boards for something like this. :)

urahonky on
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Separate the fraction into 3 fractions. That way, its an integral of 3/x + 6x^-2.5 + 2x^-2.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Oh God damn it. I'm such a newb! Thanks Folken. :)

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Oh God damn it. I'm such a newb! Thanks Folken. :)

Just remember the other way doesn't work:

I.E.

x/(x^3+x^2) != 1/x^2 + 1/x

And if you do that, your math professor legally has the right to kill you.
    Or he should.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Oh believe me, I know that it's a no-no to do that. :) So my study group rocked pretty hard. I think I'm finally getting the hang of a few of the problems now. Mainly Area/Volume. They don't seem too bad to me anymore.

Volume is just (outer length)^2 - (inner length)^2 dx or whatever. Area is either Top - Bottom, or Left - Right

If the bottom/right is the origin, then it's 0. Am I off-base on this?

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Oh believe me, I know that it's a no-no to do that. :) So my study group rocked pretty hard. I think I'm finally getting the hang of a few of the problems now. Mainly Area/Volume. They don't seem too bad to me anymore.

Volume is just (outer length)^2 - (inner length)^2 dx or whatever. Area is either Top - Bottom, or Left - Right

What do you mean by that?

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

What do you mean by that?

For the area. If they give me a formula (like one of the questions on the practice final) that's like:

y = (x-1)^2, y=0, x=0

Which means it would be Ytop - Ybottom, so (x-1)^2 - 0 (since it's 0)

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Oh, yeah. Should have said one of the axes though.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Bah, yeah, you're right. Sorry about that. I'm not very good at wording things correctly. :(

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Alright guys. I think I'm done for tonight. I'm heading to bed to get some major sleep, and tomorrow's my exam. I'll study up a little more before-hand, but here's hoping I get a C or better! (I can actually do the practice exams now!) Oh man I hope this wasn't a waste.

Exam is at 3:15 - 5:15. I'll need prayers/luck. :)

e: Also, I found out the highest score for the first 2 exams + homework is 266. After doing the math, I ended up having a 69% on the first two exams and homework. BAH! I wouldn't have to worry about the final so much if I didn't get that damn 38!!

urahonky on
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Well, good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Also, humorously, I am going to be in Dayton on Thursday for an interview. But I don't think beers and interviews mix very well. :P

Taximes on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Well. I just got back, and am now registered to take Calculus II again next quarter. :( The final was 1000x harder than any/all of the practice ones posted, and I just couldn't do it. My only saving grace was the fact that everyone seemed to be having trouble, so the final might be curved somewhat. (Though there were two people that turned it in long before everyone else, so if they get a good grade they fuck me over).

Thanks for the help guys. I am pretty pissed off at myself for being such an idiot, but whatever. Thread may be closed if mods wish. Anyone who wants to know what the final grade actually was... Let me know and I'll PM you or something.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    So a quick bump, and this can be locked. Somehow, by the grace of the gods, I was able to manage a C! I spent a lot of time praying to the calculus gods, that's for damn sure!

Anyway, thanks for all the help guys. I really appreciate it!!!

urahonky on
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Awesome. Congratulations on that.

Daenris on
This discussion has been closed.