As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Will this be available over Steam?

Lady EriLady Eri Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Penny Arcade Games
If and when it comes out will we be able to get a disc copy, or only steam distribution?

Lady Eri on

• Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited March 2008
    iff it comes out? gabe seemed pretty enthusiastic

Unknown User on
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    What Can't be Said/No Comment:

2. Methods of Distribution

Read the FAQ, dude.

redfenix on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I was at the PAX where they first started talking about the game and one of the two (I think it was Tycho) was pretty emphatic about it not coming out on Steam. However, since then Steam has grown by leaps and bounds and has all sorts of crap on it, including the PA comic strip, so it would be quite easy for things to change. However, as redfenix said, there's nothing official on it at this moment.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    PhanmanPhanman Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It really doesn't need to be available over Steam. They can just distribute it themselves and you can add it to Steam as a non-Steam game if you want the community overlay.

Phanman on
    Wii Code: 6596 9931 4190 2980
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Phanman wrote: »
    It really doesn't need to be available over Steam. They can just distribute it themselves and you can add it to Steam as a non-Steam game if you want the community overlay.

Unless they (they being the developers) don't want to spend the money and time on developing their own means of distribution, in which case Steam makes a good choice.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Unless they (they being the developers) don't want to spend the money and time on developing their own means of distribution, in which case Steam makes a good choice.

Aside from which, if they hope to see it in stores then they need a publisher and as such won't be able to depend purely on themselves for distribution anyway. WRT online distro I imagine that going the Steam route would be a lot less costly and problematic than creating your own secure delivery system, and you'd also reach far more users through Steams already large user-base. Especially now that Steamworks is available to all to use for free, you don't need to pay extra to Valve to make the game Steam compatible, you just need to sign up with them to publish it on there.

subedii on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I would love to see it on Steam.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    They wouldn't really have a problem putting it on via Steamworks, as it's completely free.

I'd also love to see this game on the PSP. It seems like it would be a great portable game.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Well I just wonder how much Valve makes off sales on Steam. That's the reason I was thinking they wouldn't go with Steam.

Phanman on
  • Options
    MasterInsan0MasterInsan0 Registered User new member
    edited March 2008
    Well I just wonder how much Valve makes off sales on Steam. That's the reason I was thinking they wouldn't go with Steam.
    According to Garry of Garry's Mod, Valve gets 50% of Steam profits. I imagine they make different deals with different developers, though--for example, I doubt they're getting 50% off the sales of games like BioShock or UT3.

MasterInsan0 on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Garry was also using the Source engine. So, he's have to have a licensing deal built into what he's doing.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    I was at the PAX where they first started talking about the game and one of the two (I think it was Tycho) was pretty emphatic about it not coming out on Steam. However, since then Steam has grown by leaps and bounds and has all sorts of crap on it, including the PA comic strip, so it would be quite easy for things to change. However, as redfenix said, there's nothing official on it at this moment.

I don't think one should ever care about anything Tycho says business wise because he signed away the rights to PA to a guy that ran away to Alaska

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Well that was uncalled for.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited March 2008
    He has gotten much better!

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    NotACrook wrote: »
    Well that was uncalled for.

Not really. Khoo there fixed them all up. I'm just not going to count on Tycho's business sense for any predictions..

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

He hired you, after all.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

They'd probably have to give up a larger percentage to a traditional publisher.

august on
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Yeah, you're only planning on running off to *southern* Alaska, which is potentially closer.

Also, after buying some stuff on Steam last year, and enjoying the process immensely, I make my PC gaming purchase decisions almost solely based on whether it is available on Steam or not. I would love to see the game available in that store.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    august wrote: »

They'd probably have to give up a larger percentage to a traditional publisher.

From what I've understood from various sources.

Just putting a game on Steam: Valve gets 50%. Developers get whatever their publisher doesn't take, if a publisher is involved.
    Putting a game on Steam + licensing the Source engine: Valve doesn't take anything.
    Garry's Mod: Kinda a unique scenario as Valve gave him full access to the source engine license in exchange for 50% of the profit.

I'll go look for some sources on this stuff.

EDIT: Here's one about the "Buy the source engine, put it on Steam for free"
    So why choose Steam? I have chosen Steam because if you buy Valves engine to make your game with, you get to keep 100% of what you sell on Steam.
    Source: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=130

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Well I just wonder about this because it seems to me like HotHead could distribute it digitally themselves the way TellTale distributes Sam & Max digitally. I imagine you make the most money that way. Basically you only pay for hosting.

I don't know, it may be in their best interest to use Steam, but I'm thinking it isn't.

Phanman on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Which is obviously why no one puts games on Steam.

august on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    It really depends on the game. This isn't your normal run of the mill game.

This is an episodic game with a semi-regular release. It isn't necessarily a full game that needs to be put on a disc and sold in stores.

I suppose it really comes down to whether or not they think hosting would cost more than lost profits, or they'd make more profit through bigger exposure on Steam.

Since I don't know anything about the numbers involved, I'm making a guess that it would be more profitable to not use Steam in this case. However it may be a lot less headache to use Steam.

Phanman on
  • Options
    strike_the_tripstrike_the_trip Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ahh, royalties. Sure, the PA aren't in it to get rich, but Hothead is literally in the business of making games and I'd wager both companies desire to [at least] recoup their investment.

There are other things to consider here in addition to royalties like DRM, bandwidth and marketing costs.

DRM: PA has a lot of loyal readers, but it seems to me like a substantial portion of this audience are the same audience that pirates games.* You can't [easily] cook these things up on your own with little cost. Something like this either takes financial/time investment or they can outsource a number of ways (i.e. distributing on Steam or other portals.)

*Note! This isn't an attack on PA readers - just an assumption about the ages/habits of pirateers.

Bandwidth: Don't think I really need to get too deep into this. Games are getting big and big files cost $ to pump through the tubes of the internets to gamers at home.

Marketing: Luckily, PA has a lot of great PR going for them probably due to the efforts of people like Khoo and the down-to-earth factor of Mike & Jerry. This means that gaining exposure to the potential audience for this game is going to be relatively cheaper and easier because of that. Other sites like Telltale, for instance, never reach the full potential for exposure for their games because they host it themselves (well, and through GameTap, but you know what I'm saying). I'm guessing a link here and Press bumps on Kotaku, Joystiq, 1up, etc. should be enough of an initial push.

Of course there are other factors still, but it all boils down to the fact that distribution decisions are based off of many more things than straight up royalty share. By the way a 50% share is pretty damn good, even when you don't consider the fact that Valve shoulders the burden of the costs I just mentioned.

strike_the_trip on
  • Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited March 2008
    Just a quick note to point out something about our DRM philosophy... in short, it's ultra lightweight.

People pirate games, and although we put a lot of faith in the fans to not screw us over, we understand that no matter what, there will always be a tiny percentage of folks that will crack it. But we also know that no matter how hefty DRM is, people will crack it. So the question is why hinder the experience to those that ACTUALLY paid with some resource-hogging bloatware that is going to get cracked anyway?

So yeah, just wanted to point that out. It's designed to keep the honest people honest, that's all. :)

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    Ross MillsRoss Mills Mr. California, USARegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I think it makes sense to put games on Steam a few months after their release, I would imagine that more people would say "Oh go on then!" and buy it if they hadn't already in the shops.

Khoo - In the utopian world in my head, I would imagine that more people would pay for this game simply out of respect. But yes, there will always be some...

Ross Mills on
    twitter-a.png
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Well it's also sad if people pirate this game. It's already been said that the game won't be more than 20 dollars, if that. It's not going to break anyone's bank, so if someone feels the need to screw over PA and HH, then let them live with that. Just seems to me, and correct me if I'm wrong, Gabe and Tycho are doing this for their fans, and know that their true fans will be happy to pay money for the game.

And since this is a topic about Steam, my input on the subject is that if it's available on the release day through Steam, I will get it through steam. I like the way Steam works, and think it would be the best route for me to get it. But if it's not on Steam on day one, I will get it where it is available.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Ryadic wrote: »
    Well it's also sad if people pirate this game. It's already been said that the game won't be more than 20 dollars, if that. It's not going to break anyone's bank, so if someone feels the need to screw over PA and HH, then let them live with that. Just seems to me, and correct me if I'm wrong, Gabe and Tycho are doing this for their fans, and know that their true fans will be happy to pay money for the game.

And since this is a topic about Steam, my input on the subject is that if it's available on the release day through Steam, I will get it through steam. I like the way Steam works, and think it would be the best route for me to get it. But if it's not on Steam on day one, I will get it where it is available.

We released a game for 20$ and it was still pirated left and right. People who habitually pirate usually don't value games that much already, so in some ways it's a lost cause with those kind of peoples.

I would also be more likely to buy this if it were available on Steam on day one. All I can find in boxes at stores anymore is MMOs, ironically.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I knew they wouldn't release it on steam. I however will not claim I predicted an entirely new service.

Phanman on