As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Handheld of choice for PAX?

Victor15bVictor15b Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in PAX Archive
So I bought a PSP when I was living overseas last year....

Then I return to the states and come to find out Im the only one who owns one of these damn things O_o

Anyway, from what I gather, the Nintendo DS is the handheld of choice at PAX due to its multiplayer capability?

Ive never been much of a Nintendo fan, but

anyone care to offer some advice on this?

Or any good DS titles out there?

Victor15b on

• Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2008
    This thread is rife with DS games that people will be bringing to play at PAX

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    seraphexseraphex Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Victor15b wrote: »
    So I bought a PSP when I was living overseas last year....

Then I return to the states and come to find out Im the only one who owns one of these damn things O_o

Anyway, from what I gather, the Nintendo DS is the handheld of choice at PAX due to its multiplayer capability?

Ive never been much of a Nintendo fan, but

anyone care to offer some advice on this?

Or any good DS titles out there?

You'll be in good company, friend. I'm the only fool in my caravan who is not bringing a PSP. If you wanna be one of the cool kids, save your pennies and buy one (and mariokart) before PAX. Oh yeah, and definitely follow Dr. Fwacky's advice...check out the DS game thread.

seraphex on
    If I had talent, I wouldn't need all this money.
    Twitter - @papapwnsPAX
  • Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited March 2008
    I would say the DS to PSP ratio is about 100:1. It's crazy.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    idumychidumych Registered User new member
    edited March 2008
    I'm honestly hoping this changes this year. I see the DS as the iPod of the game consoles, everyone has one, but the novelty has to wear off eventually right? At my campus in Oregon, I see dozens of PSPs being enjoyed daily, perhaps even more than I see DSs, at least in the past few months. THere are some great multiplayer games like Call of Duty, Burnout, Starwars battlefront: rouge quadron, GTA, and Metal Gear Solid, just to name a few. If you own a PSP just bring it and see, who knows. Let's not try to be sheep people, and don't be ashamed if you don't fit in with the popular people.

idumych on
  • Options
    HaikufrenzyHaikufrenzy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I took a PSP in 06 and even though I was in the minority of people who did so. I was still able to get a great amount of Lumines challengers in. Though if I was bringing a PSP this year I'd maybe start up a little topic to see who else is doing so.

Haikufrenzy on
    RazorbackKing.png
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I have to admit (as a DS owner... well, as the owner of a DS that has been usurped by my wife ;) ), the PSP games coming out in the past year have been very tempting indeed compared to the mostly lackluster ones coming out for the DS.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    SnickersSnickers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    idumych wrote: »
    I'm honestly hoping this changes this year. I see the DS as the iPod of the game consoles, everyone has one, but the novelty has to wear off eventually right? At my campus in Oregon, I see dozens of PSPs being enjoyed daily, perhaps even more than I see DSs, at least in the past few months. THere are some great multiplayer games like Call of Duty, Burnout, Starwars battlefront: rouge quadron, GTA, and Metal Gear Solid, just to name a few. If you own a PSP just bring it and see, who knows. Let's not try to be sheep people, and don't be ashamed if you don't fit in with the popular people.

Bringing a DS to PAX has nothing to do with sheep, or fitting in. It has EVERYTHING to do with tradition! PAX has always been a convention rife with DS's. Granted, thats no reason not to bring your PSP's as well. Just don't hate on us DSers!

Snickers on
    <@frellnik&gt; and suddenly, Snickers
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I will be bringing both, for sure, but I don't know what PSP games to bring

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    MICROCORPMICROCORP Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    If anyone should feel left out its me. I'm bringing my wife's Game Gear. I won't be sad though. There's still nothing like Mortal Kombat on a color screen in 1991. Although, if anyone might be interested in trading games for few minutes I wouldn't refuse.

MICROCORP on
  • Options
    TheRodersAbidesTheRodersAbides Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I know that I'll be bringing both along. It looks like Tetris and Mario Kart are the must haves for the DS (along with a handfull of others), but what about the PSP? I'm guessing Lumines would be pretty awesome and pretty common amoung PSP owners. I'm also thinking of picking up a used copy of Twisted Metal. It's cheap, plentiful and awesome multiplayer!

TheRodersAbides on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    MICROCORP wrote: »
    If anyone should feel left out its me. I'm bringing my wife's Game Gear. I won't be sad though. There's still nothing like Mortal Kombat on a color screen in 1991. Although, if anyone might be interested in trading games for few minutes I wouldn't refuse.

Woot! makes me wish I had one that was still working.

I *loved* the Game Gear rendition of Shining Force. Played that thing until the Game Gear itself fizzled and died.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    KaitouAyashiKaitouAyashi Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    idumych wrote: »

Also, not *everyone* has one. I still get stares and questions when I'm playing my DS in public. PAX07 was the first time I was able to multiplayer or Pictochat! It's also not the "cool device" to have, as the iPod was for a few years, so your analogy is a bit of a stretch.

We're saying if you're going to buy a handheld specifically for PAX and you don't have a preference either way, they'll certainly be no shortage of DS people for you to hang with. If you like the PSP better, by all means - get that instead.

KaitouAyashi on
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: i will nom all of your boxes
    [15:02] Tajah: I like you BR but I'm not letting you nom my box
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: Did I mention I hate you all? cause i do
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
  • Options
    seraphexseraphex Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It's hard not to feel creepy when the only people to pictochat with are the 10 year olds in your particular gate at the airport....

seraphex on
    If I had talent, I wouldn't need all this money.
    Twitter - @papapwnsPAX
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ngage. Hellz yeah.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    This year the iPhone will be a legitimate game handheld - I think the third-party app store opens in June. Hopefully there will be a lot of good multiplayer games.

Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    HortosHortos Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yes the iphone / ds combo will reign supreme!

Hortos on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I won't say I bought a DS just for PAX but it certainly was a contributing factor.

I'll be bringing my PSP as well though, if for nothing but loading it up with Venture Bros and Mighty Boosh episodes for the plane rides.

#pipe on
  • Options
    geeeeoffffgeeeeoffff Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    i'll be picking up a DS at the start of the summer.

the PSP is handy dandy just because it's so darn hackable. Emulators galore!

but i want to get in on the pictochat action.

geeeeoffff on
    GD on paforums
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I wonder how the Pictochat protocol works. Perhaps someone could hack an interface to it from other systems (PSP, laptops etc...)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    doubtful, besides the pictotubes are clogged enough with people who actually have DS's, we don't need to add to that.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Now if we could only create Pictochat servers... so that we don't have to rely on the Ad-Hoc network that it creates...

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Well, I was picturing it for those who only own PSPs, so they could get in on the action to some extent.

I don't own a PSP, but I could picture a PSP exclusive owner wanting in. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    s7arbucks7arbuck Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    well as far as the iphone goes, there is a app called "sketches" basically pictochat, only you can first take a pic then edit it with your tools etc. but it doesn't do multiplayer, but i heard an update is coming soon

on a side note i didnt have either handheld (or my iphone) so i was bored, alot and was basically chatting it up the whole time and also O. D. on haze mints (love that stuff) but not i have a ds (nintendogs bundle) and an iphone i am thinking about getting a psp for the god of war bundle only if enough people at pax will have psps, so what do you guys think psp gonna be happening at pax? because i have my media from iphone and some gameplay from ds, is a psp needed?

s7arbuck on
  • Options
    BrennaCeDriaBrennaCeDria Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    My husband and I will each have our DSs. I've never had a PSP and only vaguely started to want one after seeing the trailers for Crisis Core. I thought I was over most of my FF fangirlism, but I guess not. Luckily, going to PAX takes the money for that type of impulse by right out of my wallet, so no worries here.

BrennaCeDria on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    my ds got jacked

i have an iphone.....

should i

a: get a blue and balck ds?
    B: hunt down a nintendogs ds on ebay (again?)
    C: get a psp (daxter i think)
    D: get a god of war psp when they come out?

or combo something?

s7arbuck on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Blue and black ds ftw

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    subassysubassy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    my ds got jacked

i have an iphone.....

should i

get a god of war psp when they come out?
    or combo something?

Well if you get a PSP I would recommend the hackable variety e.g. the "phat" PSP preferable with firmware 3.5 or lower. You can downgrade 3.51+ but it's a lot more complicated (relatively). Once you have the custom firmware you can run the latest games no problem. Of course buying a phat PSP and going through all that custom firmware stuff may more than you're willing to go through. What am I saying? We're all geeks here. If you bring something that isn't hacked in some way you shouldn't be allowed in :lol::lol:

As for people with unmodified PSPs I may or may not have a PSP that may or may not need the game UMDs since I may or may not be able to run said UMDs from what may or may not be a memory stick. I'll bring my UMDs in case someone wants to borrow or trade them or something (I have FF: Crisis Core).

I also just bought a DS and a whole lot of games. That should be fun. That was most of my 'stimulus package' so I hope the purchase 'stimulated' amazon.com enough...pfff whatever.

Only thing is I have no PuzzleQuest for DS as I already bought it for PSP and Windows and don't feel like purchasing a third copy :lol:

subassy on
  • Options
    Oz K. FodrotskiOz K. Fodrotski Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The handheld of choice for PAX is clearly the Neo Geo Pocket Color.

To respond to S7arbuck -- the blue and black DS is 'teh secks'.

Oz K. Fodrotski on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    subassy wrote: »
    my ds got jacked

i have an iphone.....

should i

get a god of war psp when they come out?
    or combo something?

Well if you get a PSP I would recommend the hackable variety e.g. the "phat" PSP preferable with firmware 3.5 or lower. You can downgrade 3.51+ but it's a lot more complicated (relatively). Once you have the custom firmware you can run the latest games no problem. Of course buying a phat PSP and going through all that custom firmware stuff may more than you're willing to go through. What am I saying? We're all geeks here. If you bring something that isn't hacked in some way you shouldn't be allowed in :lol::lol:

As for people with unmodified PSPs I may or may not have a PSP that may or may not need the game UMDs since I may or may not be able to run said UMDs from what may or may not be a memory stick. I'll bring my UMDs in case someone wants to borrow or trade them or something (I have FF: Crisis Core).

I also just bought a DS and a whole lot of games. That should be fun. That was most of my 'stimulus package' so I hope the purchase 'stimulated' amazon.com enough...pfff whatever.

Only thing is I have no PuzzleQuest for DS as I already bought it for PSP and Windows and don't feel like purchasing a third copy :lol:

my iphone is both jailbroken and unlocked...basically i would do the psp JUST for the games (my media is all on my iphone) but is a psp worth it for JUST the games or if you half ass the psp experence (no media, no hacking unless kinda effortless) is it worth it?

i know my ds was worth tetris alone i spend 120+ hours on that one game, and i still have MOST of my games (i have 12, now 9)

s7arbuck on
  • Options
    JonmanJonman Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I had my trusty DS last year at PAX. Tried playing some multiplayer in one of the lounges, and completely failed - there's simply too many DS's clogging the airwaves with all that wifi chatter.

Jonman on
    yadda yadda humerous yadda
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Okay, I've been letting it slide in here for a bit, because nothing overtly illegal has been discussed, but you guys need to cut out the emulator/hacked devices discussion. If you really want to talk about what questionable quasi-legal thing you've done to your game/phone hardware, take it to PM.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    SakebombSakebomb Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I use my iphone to take nude photos of myself and and then forward them to AT&T's customer service dept.
    Is that quasi-legal?

Also I am buying a DS just for PAX

Sakebomb on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Whatever the legality is there, that's between you and AT&T.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    subassysubassy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    my iphone is both jailbroken and unlocked...basically i would do the psp JUST for the sp games (my media is all on my iphone along with emulators) but is a psp worth it for JUST the games or if you half ass the psp experence (no media, no hacking unless kinda effortless) is it worth it?

i know my ds was worth tetris alone i spend 120+ hours on that one game, and i still have MOST of my games (i have 12, now 9)

Not sure if it's worth it unhacked. At the very least running UMDs off the memory stick makes the battery last WAY longer. But I may not be the one to comment on this as I never owned a PS1 or PS2 and have never played games like God of War, the Dexter ones, the FF games to much extent or metal gear solid. Between those games and the TV-out and Skype easily obtainable on the new PSP-lite/2000 models maybe it is worth it. Just depends on your tastes I suppose.

For the PSP "phat" you can (with the right FW version) downgrade/install custom FW with a software exploit and it's amazingly easy (need the right version of lumines).

For phats with 3.5+ and PSP lite/2000s it just takes something called Battery, which I've never tried but seems a little more involved.

As for games I haven't played the GTAs, Dexters, God of War and have only started the FFVII:Crisis Core so I coudln't tell you. PuzzleQuest is fun but probably not any more/less fun than on the DS. Dungeon Creator is also fun, or was for a while anyway. I started MSG for PSP but the disk is faulty so I didn't get very far. One thing I do love about the PSP is the screen size: extremely good quality/size. Not sure how I'll get used to the DS after play PSP all this time.

I hope that answered the question :lol:

subassy on
This discussion has been closed.