As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

My Xbox 360 is turning itself on

mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Games and Technology
A few days last week, I arrived home from work, and my 360 was on. I definitely remember turning it off the night before. Just a few minutes ago, I went out to the TV room, and my 360 was on. I hadn't turned it on at all, and I definitely turned it off last night before bed.

Has anyone else encountered this? Is there anything I can do to stop this?

Edit: More info about my setup:

My 360 is plugged into a power strip along with my TV and router. It is connected to my router with an ethernet cable. I have the wired Rock Band guitar and a USB keyboard plugged in currently. (I'll try unplugging the keyboard and see whether that makes any difference)

mrflippy on

• iadrianiadrian Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Step 1) Get a young priest

Step 2) Get an old priest

iadrian on
    Brawl: 2964-8274-9230
    D/P: 2621-2512-5050
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Thread title sounds kinky.

Dirty on
  • GadeusGadeus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Do you have neighbors with a 360? My friend that lives directly next door often comes over and syncs his controller to my 360 for multi player sessions. Whenever he turns his own 360 on later that day, his still synced controller will boot up my console.

Gadeus on
    Brawl Code: 2105-8329-7282
  • whitey9whitey9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Phase 1: 360 turns itself on.

Phase 2:

terminatorrobotbo3.jpg

whitey9 on
    llcoolwhitey.png
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Do you or anyone nearby have a Windows Media Center remote?

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • stranger678stranger678 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Are you using a Logitech Harmony remote?

stranger678 on
    PASig.jpg
  • ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    mrflippy wrote: »
    A few days last week, I arrived home from work, and my 360 was on. I definitely remember turning it off the night before. Just a few minutes ago, I went out to the TV room, and my 360 was on. I hadn't turned it on at all, and I definitely turned it off last night before bed.

Has anyone else encountered this? Is there anything I can do to stop this?

Edit: More info about my setup:

My 360 is plugged into a power strip along with my TV and router. It is connected to my router with an ethernet cable. I have the wired Rock Band guitar and a USB keyboard plugged in currently. (I'll try unplugging the keyboard and see whether that makes any difference)

I'm thinking pretty much this:

exorcist.jpg

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Do you have pets? My cats have turned consoles on before.

Rigor Mortis on
  • mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    No pets, I don't have a harmony remote, but I do have the xbox 360 media remote. Not sure whether any of my neighbors have a 360. (I do live in an apartment complex though)

mrflippy on
  • squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Wake on LAN, possibly? I remember a couple of years ago my PC kept on starting up and it freaked me out for a few days..

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It probably just wanted to play one of its games. Can you blame it?

Djiem on
  • polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    squirly wrote: »
    Wake on LAN, possibly? I remember a couple of years ago my PC kept on starting up and it freaked me out for a few days..

I thought of this too, but as far as I know the 360 has no such feature. Unless it's an undocumented one from a dashboard update with no option to enable/disable?

Anyway, chalk up another vote for neighbors' devices and/or possession.

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Look Flippy, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over.

hal.jpg

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    :shock:

So one of these days I'll get home from work and my key won't work or something?

mrflippy on
  • pabhpabh Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    boxing gloves at night is the only solution, that will stop it getting up to any filth

pabh on
  • LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It is a ghoooooost

OooooOOOOooOOooOOOOO

Lemming on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Why don't you just play it then? Maybe it's just lonely. Ever think of that? No you didn't you all just assume its going to eat his face in the middle of the night but in reality it just wants a little attention.
    before it eats your face

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I too, oddly enough, have had this problem before. I left for class one morning, returning to find my Xbox 360 powered up and sitting at the home-blade screen. It doesn't do it anymore and seemed to be caused by absolutely nothing. I wouldn't worry about it though, unless it's doing it A LOT and adding to your electricity bill.

Although, I wonder to this day if I've got a secret clan of gaming gnomes living somewhere in the walls.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Darkblade_1Darkblade_1 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    I think the real question is...

Is it turning you on...

Darkblade_1 on
    iveseenvivstits.gif
    You're drawn to my eccentric Brawl Code: 4596 9143 4529
  • PaperPlatePaperPlate Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    On 3/19/2008 the Xbox 360 became self aware. Live went on to cause Judgement Day.

PaperPlate on
    Minecraft: PAPRPL8
    League of Legends (your friendly neighborhood support): PAPRPL8
  • Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Could you have accidentally tossed your controller into a wall or something? I remember a mate of mine freaking out when his 360 kept turning on at seemingly random times. Until we found his long lost controller hidden in the dark recesses of his couch.

Cynic Jester on
  • rvcontre78rvcontre78 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Do you or anyone nearby have a Windows Media Center remote?

Windows Media Center Remote Schmindows Schmedia Schmenter Schemote. It could be anything. When I open my garage door my blender goes to mix and my toilets flush and I don't even have an automatic garage door opener.

rvcontre78 on
    The Top Ten Neglected NES games by The Gaming Standard

I have not been disappointed with the responses in this thread.

Also, I also would vote that apartment living is the problem. Every other day, I can't connect my Wii to my wireless router simply because jackholes living around me have their own interference thang happening.

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • LoathingLoathing Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ghosts did it.

Sexy ghosts.

Loathing on
  • EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Mine turned itself on last night.
    Its also blogs
    It seriously did turn itself on last night though.

EskimoDave on
  • Omnicron9999Omnicron9999 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Do you have any wireless controllers? Especially around pets, sitting in drawers, or in a place where someone or something can push on the button in the middle?

That button turns on the Xbox.

Also, haha poltergeist. The power of Christ compels you! The power of Christ compels you...to play more Halo...

Omnicron9999 on
  • SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Your Xbox is turning itself on?

its just puberty :oops::oops::oops:

:winky::winky::winky::winky::winky::winky::winky::winky::winky::winky::winky:

Sueve on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Apparently some guys from the portal thread came over here and made a portal over to SE++...

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    edited March 2008
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Apparently some guys from the portal thread came over here and made a portal over to SE++...

Hmm?

rvcontre78 on

Old and...off topic? O_o

Loathing on
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Are you sure your Xbox isn't at the end of its warranty? It could be trying to commit suicide via red-ring to help you out.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • KenninatorKenninator Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Just unplug it when you aren't using it, unless it's too much of a hastle to plug back in. Like someone esle said, if it does it too much it could do a number to your electric bill.

Kenninator on
    edited March 2008
    Kenninator wrote: »
    Just unplug it when you aren't using it, unless it's too much of a hastle to plug back in. Like someone esle said, if it does it too much it could do a number to your electric bill.

Well that isn't as much fixing the problem as just... hmm... not fixing it. If you have children, spouse, pets, I would slowly remove them one-at-a-time from your house until the problem is solved.

rvcontre78 on

Well that isn't as much fixing the problem as just... hmm... not fixing it. If you have children, spouse, pets, I would slowly remove them one-at-a-time from your house until the problem is solved.

Or you can take the common PC troubleshooting approach - remove everyone/thing, and put them back in until you can replicate the anomaly.

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
    edited March 2008
    polaris314 wrote: »
    rvcontre78 wrote: »

Or you can take the common PC troubleshooting approach - remove everyone/thing, and put them back in until you can replicate the anomaly.

With my infinite knowledge of the PC, troubleshooting would be resetting your household and then blowing into the vents with the possible inclusion of dancing in a circle.

rvcontre78 on

However with your 360 I reckon it's just neighbours. Or possibly a faulty controller. When you play the middle button doesn't push itself occasionally does it?

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    How is it plugged into the TV?

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    That's the spooky bit. it isn't

ben0207 on
  • APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    iadrian wrote: »
    Step 1) Get a young priest

Step 2) Get an old priest

This happened to my friend, and this is exactly the advice we gave him too.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It could be your keyboard's got a stuck Windows key (which acts as the Guide button on the 360), and that could be turning it on. Or any of the other things that people said.

Just make sure you set your auto-off setting to On and then if it turns itself on and goes unnoticed for six hours it'll turn itself off again. And maybe leaflet all the flats in the area 'Do you have a 360? Mine keeps turning itself on randomly. Let me know.'

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!