As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fitness Thread v. 3.0

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited May 2008
    Oh yeah, it's possible. It's a fucking hassle though. I recommend metabolic drive. It's not the cheapest but it's damn good quality. what are your meals like? "normal" meals are often pretty terrible.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Look at it this way, when Arnold Schwarzenegger started out there was no such thing as a protein shake.

Tube on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    This is pretty average for what I eat everyday, I work nights so my meals are a little out of order.

Dinner (First meal when I wake up) 1 fruit (apple or grapes) 1 serving of a meat usually chicken or fish, large serving of vegetables usually green beans or corn and then I try and get a salad. On my salad I put ham, egg, those weird nut like things, cheese, tomatoes and brocolli. Its actually a pretty small salad though.

About four or five hours later I work out and after that I eat a bowl of cereal (kind of strange I know, but it is free) and then I goto work and about two or three hours later I eat a lunch type meal. I get a sandwich with your typical lunch meats, a fruit, sometimes granola bars or yogurt and maybe a pudding.

About five hours later I eat a breakfast meal which is usually cereal, fruit and a ham egg and cheese sandwich.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    On that diet I'm not completely sure how you're staying alive.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    On that diet I'm not completely sure how you're staying alive.
    Oh...I will try and eat more food then.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    If you want a diet that definitely works and is simple do the one I posted on the previous page. Pretty cheap too. That's the super clever ultra flashy diet given by my high price coach. Works gangbusters.

Tube on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Tube how much weight is in a chicken breast.

Because I can buy chicken breasts that weigh 400 grams.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    About 220 grams worth

Tube on
  • Options
    SliverSliver Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    how much does that end up costing at the end of the month?

Sliver on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Sliver wrote: »
    how much does that end up costing at the end of the month?

Fuck knows. 80 pounds maybe? Give or take. I don't eat junk food or drink alcohol, so I probably spend less on sustenance than most.

Tube on
  • Options
    ElGamalElGamal __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    ElGamal wrote: »
    How do I hire someone to plan my meals and shit? Do such people exist? It's just way too complicated for me there are so many variables god

Here's a diet

Morning - 4 eggs, an apple, an orange, scoop of protein

Lunch - Two chicken breasts, quarter cup of rice

Dinner - 10oz red meat, baked potato, as much green veg as you want

snack - protein bar or shake

simple as that

4 eggs every morning? What about cholesterol bro? And what's the best way to eat those eggs without spending a lot of time every morning on bullshit cooking

Also, shouldn't you be eating 5 to 8 meals a day instead of just 3?

And finally, how do I find out how much calories I should be consuming daily? I'm 5'8 tall, 9.8 stones heavy

ElGamal on
  • Options
    KrikeeKrikee Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Don't worry about cholesterol intake if you're working out.
    Hard boiled eggs are easy to make btw.

Krikee on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    4 eggs every morning? What about cholesterol bro?

What about it?
    And what's the best way to
    eat those eggs without spending a lot of time every morning on bullshit cooking

Omelette. Takes five minutes.
    Also, shouldn't you be eating 5 to 8 meals a day instead of just 3?

Count them. 3 meals, surge pre and post, and snack. That's six meals. I workout six days a week and have an extra snack on my rest day.

Tube on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Also the 3 minutes I use to make my oatmeal I also use to make my lunch for the day.

The cooking time is not lost time unless you enjoy watching eggs cook.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Also you can make twice as much chicken as you need, cut up half with scissors, put it in tupperware with some cajun spices and you have a ready made chicken salad for the next day.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Surge soda?!

ElGamal on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    So the guy I use to go to the gym with can't go anymore, wtf do I do now? I can't do a bench press without killing myself so is there a machine to replace it? I really know nothing about lifting weights, he was showing me everything so I am pretty much lost now.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Well obviously you need to give up and never try again as it does seem hard.

Alternatively:

Ask someone else to go to the gym with you.
    Hire a personal trainer.
    See the dude at the bench? Hi, my name <PURPLE FLASHBANG> (I made you a new name, use it if you want) would you mind spotting me for my bench? (Remember it is implied you spot him too)

Blake T on
  • Options
    MishraMishra Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    So the guy I use to go to the gym with can't go anymore, wtf do I do now? I can't do a bench press without killing myself so is there a machine to replace it? I really know nothing about lifting weights, he was showing me everything so I am pretty much lost now.

Where do you live? I know the SA fitness forum has a thread for fining a workout buddy. Also people at the gym are pretty friendly in my experience. If all you need is spotter you should be ok.

Mishra on
    "Give a man a fire, he's warm for the night. Set a man on fire he's warm for the rest of his life."
    -Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    First I want to thank you all for all the help provided in this thread, and forum. For a background I've currently peaked at 6'0 250lbs at 24 years old. Thanks to the help given in this forum I decided to change my life and start eating healthier and doing more. Heres my current meal plan so any advice would be great.

Breakfast either oatmeal with raisins, or 2 eggs and 2 sausage links, whichever is available.

2 hours later, and odwalla chocolate chip peanut bar, this'll move to after lunch and be replaced with the berrys gomega if i can ever find any place around here that sells them.

Lunch two pieces of fruit, possibly a banana and apple

2 hours later a banana nut odwalla bar.

Dinner whatevers available, probably a small amount of it though.

And before bed, I'm planning on getting some protein shakes, assuming I can find any good ones around here, and having one.

I haven't planned out a work out routine yet, but I stopped playing WoW, and when I play games I plan on doing things such as, DDR or playing the WII, and going out more when I'm off work. Such as going for walkings, going out places instead of just sitting home and playing wow. Any criticism is greatly appreciated. I don't currently have a "goal" like lose x amount of pounds in x amount of time, my current goal is to stop gaining weight, and start losing fat.

*edit, and oh I cut soda out of my diet, was drinking around 6 a day, and now only drink water, sometimes with crystal ice, most of the time plain though.

*edit 2, I'm also taking vitamin supplements. Currently a multivitamin, centrum complete, a calcuim, 3 flax oil, and once they're back in stock 1 b complex.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I'm not sure how one could stay alive on that diet. It basically consists of eating bars and some fruits.

ElGamal on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    You have no protein in that diet during the day man.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    More often then not the breakfast consists of eggs and sausage. Plus once I get the protein shakes, I could bring one with lunch. That being said before I was only eating once a day and that was dinner. So this is already better.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    More often then not the breakfast consists of eggs and sausage. Plus once I get the protein shakes, I could bring one with lunch. That being said before I was only eating once a day and that was dinner. So this is already better.

Eating once a day will make you gain weight.

ElGamal on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Eating once a day will make you gain weight.

Hence why I'm changing my eating habits.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    First I want to thank you all for all the help provided in this thread, and forum. For a background I've currently peaked at 6'0 250lbs at 24 years old. Thanks to the help given in this forum I decided to change my life and start eating healthier and doing more. Heres my current meal plan so any advice would be great.

Breakfast either oatmeal with raisins, or 2 eggs and 2 sausage links, whichever is available.

2 hours later, and odwalla chocolate chip peanut bar, this'll move to after lunch and be replaced with the berrys gomega if i can ever find any place around here that sells them.

Lunch two pieces of fruit, possibly a banana and apple

2 hours later a banana nut odwalla bar.

Dinner whatevers available, probably a small amount of it though.

And before bed, I'm planning on getting some protein shakes, assuming I can find any good ones around here, and having one.

I haven't planned out a work out routine yet, but I stopped playing WoW, and when I play games I plan on doing things such as, DDR or playing the WII, and going out more when I'm off work. Such as going for walkings, going out places instead of just sitting home and playing wow. Any criticism is greatly appreciated. I don't currently have a "goal" like lose x amount of pounds in x amount of time, my current goal is to stop gaining weight, and start losing fat.

*edit, and oh I cut soda out of my diet, was drinking around 6 a day, and now only drink water, sometimes with crystal ice, most of the time plain though.

*edit 2, I'm also taking vitamin supplements. Currently a multivitamin, centrum complete, a calcuim, 3 flax oil, and once they're back in stock 1 b complex.
    That's roughly 900-1100 calories right there, not counting the protein shake or dinner (I'm guessing a bowl of oatmeal is 300-500 calories). Eat more. A bare minimum for someone your age and size (which is nigh-identical to mine) is 1800 calories a day. A couple of recommendations:

*In the morning, eat a bowl of oatmeal with raisins and 2 eggs. You can hard-boil eggs and they'll keep for a week as long as you keep them in the shell. Breakfast should be your biggest meal, healthiest, most well-balanced meal of the day. You want a good mix of complex carbs, fats, and proteins to jumpstart your metabolism. Dietary fiber is good, too.

*For lunch, add some sort of protein. I recommend a wrap of some kind, made with a whole-grain tortilla, or if you prefer something fast and easy (I know I do), a Lean Pocket Whole Grain (the ham & turkey is actually really good). A banana and an apple is less than 200 calories and basically zero protein; you should be eating more overall throughout the day to keep your energy up and your metabolism going.

*Liquids can count. Personally, I've started drinking a low-sodium V8 every day. It's tasty, and good for you.

It's important to eat enough, because if you don't, your body will go into starvation mode, where it begins to burn muscle and store more energy as fat (exactly what you're trying to discourage with the 6 meals a day thing). You'll lose weight, but you'll feel like shit.

On the exercise front: I can't recommend weightlifting enough. Yes, I know you're not trying to bulk up, but it's really good for you, anyway. It helps with your metabolism, builds strength, and even if it doesn't build muscle for you (which it most likely will), it discourages your body from burning muscle for energy, and encourages it to use fat and available carbs, instead.

Vitamins: if you're going to take an omega-3 supplement, I'd recommend fish oil over flax oil; your body processes the omega-3s more completely from fish oil. Also, you really only need to take one multivitamin; everything else in there is pretty unnecessary. Be careful with calcium supplements, especially if you've got a family history of kidney/gall stones. Don't overdo it.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    4 eggs every morning? What about cholesterol bro? And what's the best way to eat those eggs without spending a lot of time every morning on bullshit cooking
    Recent research has shown that saturated fat consumption has more to do with cholesterol levels than cholesterol consumption, and genetics seems to have way more to do with it than diet. Eggs are fucking awesome for you. Can't recommend them enough. I hard-boil enough for the week every weekend, leave them in the shell. Makes it hella easy.
    And finally, how do I find out how much calories I should be consuming daily? I'm 5'8 tall, 9.8 stones heavy
    If I were you, I'd start at 2800-3200 calories, and if that doesn't work, go up from there.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    So, possibly hard boil two eggs each night to take with me in the morning. Add a lean pocket for lunch. When should I include a v8 drink? Also the reason for flax oil is I get really bad dry skin, and flax oil is the only thing I've found that works for it.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    So, possibly hard boil two eggs each night to take with me in the morning. Add a lean pocket for lunch. When should I include a v8 drink? Also the reason for flax oil is I get really bad dry skin, and flax oil is the only thing I've found that works for it.
    Like I said, you can hardboil a dozen eggs on Sunday and bring them with you all week. Just don't take them out of the shell until you're ready to eat them.

Use the V8 as a supplement to a smaller meal (or even to fill out your breakfast a bit). And if the flax oil works for that, then keep taking the flax oil.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I work a weird schedule, off sundays and thursdays, so I'll probably do them on my days off to cover till I'm off again. Possibly V8 during first break after breakfast, with one of the bars? Also do the cans work as well, work is picky what i can bring sometimes.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I work a weird schedule, off sundays and thursdays, so I'll probably do them on my days off to cover till I'm off again. Possibly V8 during first break after breakfast, with one of the bars? Also do the cans work as well, work is picky what i can bring sometimes.
    Cans of what? V8? I wasn't even aware it came in bottles.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Mainly comes in big jugs around here, but I think I know one place that sells cans. My area sucks for health foods and the such. By the way thanks again for all the advice, its greatly appreciated, I probably wouldn't even bother trying if it wasn't for you guys.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Also with the lean pocket, should I be eating one or both with lunch, and should I still eat 1 or 2 peices of fruit with them

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Also with the lean pocket, should I be eating one or both with lunch, and should I still eat 1 or 2 peices of fruit with them
    Apple is a bout 90 calories, not sure how much a banana is.

Look at your calorie intake and use your own judgment.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    With protein shakes, since like i said my area sucks for health food, is there anything specific I should be looking for. Like x amount of protein under x amount of calories?

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    1500 calories isn't a reasonable calorie range.

1500? No. 1800? No? When what is? I'm 6'3 and about 25 stones. I'm doing a three-day per week lifting + cycling workout similar to the one on the front page. I think. Ish.

Is that at least a solid plan? Should I up the portions a bit? What?

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    1500 calories isn't a reasonable calorie range.
    1500? No. 1800? No? When what is? I'm 6'3 and about 25 stones. I'm doing a three-day per week lifting + cycling workout similar to the one on the front page. I think. Ish.

Is that at least a solid plan? Should I up the portions a bit? What?
    6'3", and male, I'm assuming...? 1900, bare minimum. 2300 is probably about the most you want to do in order to lose weight.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Surge soda?!

surge workout recovery from biotest

Tube on
  • Options
    SaniusSanius Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So how is this for a friday?

Morning:

Cinnamon crunch bagel (yes, I know. I didn't want one but my mom decides to make this for me and I woke up late, decided eating something is better then nothing.) A banana. 520 calories

Snack:

decided to pick up a lo-ball java monster (6 grams of protein and hella vitamins and only 100 calories? Score!) plus a decent slimfast bar. 320 calories.

Lunch:

Okay, nothing here. I had lots of water. Lifted a bit, but not a lot seeing as I planned on running pretty hard today. I ended up getting really hungry, didn't have time to eat.

Snack: Bought a nutri-grain, it was all I could really snatch from a vending machine. Just 120 calories, but enough to fuel me. After I ate this (about 7th hour) I ran for 40 minutes at a moderate-vigerous pace with sprinting in one more then one instance. I usually like to go for another 60 but the sprinting made up. :)

Before work I had some yogurt, just 100 calories. At work I had 600 calories. I probably should've had a bit less, but I work at a sandwich shop/cafe, and I usually just get everything I can with mustard and whole wheat bread with some soup and bread. I was actually starving from the run that I was really sick until I ate. oops.

And a few hours later (about twenty minutes ago) I just had myself a bagel. About 300 calories (including a small spread of cream cheese.

Total: 2060 calories. The soup and the morning bagel probably gave me more saturated fats then what I need, which is what bothers me. Protein wise after adding up i've had over 100 grams. Some off and on decisions, otherwise, was this a good example of what I need to lose weight + gain muscle? Most days I will have 250-300 calories, just a simple sandwich with some turkey and ham & mustard. Less if you don't include the slice of bread.

And a side note: Should I work out on my rest days? Not really lifting or hard running, but maybe just a few sets of push-ups and crunches and maybe running a mile or so?

Sanius on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Sanius: you're 17. My advice to you is keep working out hardcore, try to eat healthy foods, and now that you're down to a good weight, don't worry so much about calorie restriction.

You've got a lot more wiggle room than someone in their 20s, and you've clearly been doing just fine so far. :P

Thanatos on
This discussion has been closed.