As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Photo Assignment / Exercise] #14 - Heat

• Options
    BackupharmonicaBackupharmonica Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    fixed.

2809889095_e79225af3f_b.jpg

Backupharmonica on
    It works, bitches.
  • Options
    PoisonChildPoisonChild Registered User new member
    edited August 2008
    Inside a room, inside a vase....it all figures out. First post ftw. :3

hotel024oh3.jpg

-PoisonChild

PoisonChild on
  • Options
    erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    erisian pope on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Photo Exercise #6 - Focus!
    Duration: Month of September

This month I want you to focus on what you're doing, and use focus as the main theme in your submissions. You could go for extreme shallow DOF, you could try selective focus to isolate the subject, you could try emulating Ansel Adams' tendency to have EVERYTHING in the frame in the crispest possible focus, or you could go out in left field and surprise us all with your interpretation. Wherever inspiration takes you, let's see it![/QUOTE]

Backupharmonica on
    It works, bitches.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Schoolwork in summer sucks.

2818762828_f1142c8d52_b.jpg

Resaturated for anable.
    2819855064_931d791ce6_b.jpg

Backupharmonica on
    It works, bitches.
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Back - The lighting mutes the colors a bit, but the theme is spot on.

anable on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I kinda like the muted colors. It fits the negative sorta mood that he described.

erisian pope on
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've never done any of these assignments before. I think I'm going to try it!

Nice meeting you anable, we should hang at next PAX!

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    altmann wrote: »
    Nice meeting you anable, we should hang at next PAX!

Yeah, I was kinda getting dragged everywhere. Next time we'll do a photo shoot or something.

anable on
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    2844706146_9448b885ae_o.png

Projeck on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Nicely done. Seems like it was a bit of an overcast day though. Might try bumping up the exposure.

anable on
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    2845152522_62f2a3438a_o.png

thanks! does this look better?

Projeck on
  • Options
    TiniTini Slippy PARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Eh, seems a bit much to me...

Tini on
    Do a barrel roll.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    My entry for "focus".
    2850271049_1de2d05c41_b.jpg

altmann on

signature.png
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Awesome stuff altmann, very cool execution.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    focus.png

My first assignment submission. I've got four shots in this sequence, I think the others I'll turn into a tryp.

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Jake, it's really interesting how the 'focus' of the picture (the subject) is out of focus, and yet I can see his expression and enough details that everything important is still conveyed. That's pretty badass for representing the topic!

And my first entry for this assignment:

IMG_5941.jpg

erisian pope on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I'm having a terrible time coming up with something that doesn't scream generic. :(

Oh well, I still have two weeks.

anable on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Jake and Erasion both of those are great. I love the "focus" of your swimmer buddy and the plants and background work very well.

altmann on

signature.png
  • Options
    Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Cheers guys. I kinda had an idea of what I wanted, so we did three jumps. First picture of the first jump is this one; perfect. Only went downhill from there. and pope, just to shiver your timbers, this is another surfboard photo :)

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Awesome stuff everyone!
    Jake: very cool concept, I agree with everyone (I'm very agreeable today apparently).

Pope: that pic is very calming.

Kinda a different take on it:
    2860259375_63d1737829.jpg

Prospicience on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    Time for a new one of these, popeman.

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Yo, I know it! I am a headless chicken this week.

Will add new assignment asap!

erisian pope on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    New Assignment Posted

Photo Exercise #7 - Once Per Week!
    Duration: Month of October

Ok, folks, this time it's going to be a real assignment. Our assignment (you can still call it an exercise if that makes you feel better ;-)) is to post 4 pictures here, one per week. Here's the challenge: make them good. Make them real good. Don't just find yourself on friday posting some crap you happen to have (not saying anyone has done this, but this is definitely not the month to just toss something up here). Each week I want us to find an object, or a scene, or whatever, and shoot it multiple times. Shoot it at different times of day, or with different lenses, or by changing the lighting. Each week really spend some time shooting, altering, reshooting, revisiting, and re-reshooting your picture until you have it looking really good. Then post that. Next week you can pick the same or a different subject/scene, whatever floats your boat, but repeat the process of multiple different attempts on the same subject/scene and really changing up how you approach the shot. The idea here is that if we make ourselves rethink what we're shooting we may discover that our initial viewpoint was inferior to what we can build up to by really working at it.

This is my most involved assignment yet, and I understand it may seem daunting. I encourage us all to rise to the challenge. I want more participation this month, not less! And if you want to post multiple versions of a week's shot to demonstrate how you changed it over time, do it! It could be fun for us to discuss process and not just a single static piece.

erisian pope on
  • Options
    NaregNareg Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    so, should we post the final image every week or post a few and get crits and suggestions as to how to "make it good"?

Nareg on
    Back off man, I'm a scientist!
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    It hasn't really been the case that this thread is high on "improvement" as much as it's high on "take some pictures already" which in same cases is just as important.

anable on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Nareg wrote: »
    so, should we post the final image every week or post a few and get crits and suggestions as to how to "make it good"?

Honestly you should do whatever you want. There will be no final exams after this online course is concluded, and it will not affect your GPA either way.

(In all seriousness, my goal is to get people to shoot more and to engage with their shooting more - so in whatever way this thread might help you along those lines I would say follow that path).

erisian pope on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Took a bunch of pictures of my boss this week for the project. Here's my favorite.
    2949568885_e03388fd8a.jpg

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    That's a very cool shot. Your lighting is very sweet. Also, you get 200 photo-points for being the first person to turn anything in on this assignment, including me :oops:

erisian pope on
  • Options
    UberslugUberslug Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    See but you didn't do that with this assignment in mind. This isn't a 'oh I have this photo that kind of applies to this thread so I'll post it' thread.

bombardier on
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    To be completely honest, I'm not entirely sure what to do for this assignment. Sure, I could post a new photo every week, but I really have no ambition to go back to the same place every week and take a marginally different photo. Maybe I don't get it, but I don't think I'm particularly alone in that seeing as how we're now well into the second half of the month and no one has posted their weekly entry. Granted, most of my work involves mountaineering, and I'll be buggered if I'm going to summit the same mountain every week.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    UberslugUberslug Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    bombardier wrote: »
    See but you didn't do that with this assignment in mind. This isn't a 'oh I have this photo that kind of applies to this thread so I'll post it' thread.

I thought the point was to take a whole bunch of photos of basically the same thing and then post the best one every week.

Uberslug on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Man, only two entries.... booo @ us.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    True enough. I haven't taken crap for pictures lately. Well, I have taken some but it's all film and no scanner. :|

anable on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Photo Exercise #8 - FAMILY
    Duration: Month of November

I guess I should scale this one back, since not even I was able to participate in last month's assignment. Mad props to Prosp and Slug for posting. But let's move on to new pastures. It's November, the time of Indians and Pilgrims and Turkeys and fat feasts. So, in keeping with the theme of Thanksgiving, this month's assignment is family. Feel free to be as creative with this as you want - you don't need to be literal unless you wish. And as always, use this theme as a first step to get out there and push yourself to take the best picture you can!

erisian pope on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Way to remind me that I'm 3000 miles away from home.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Uncle Long wrote: »
    Way to remind me that I'm 3000 miles away from home.
    Dang. :oops:

I have every confidence that you can bust out some excellent photo to illustrate some aspect of the concept, however.

3000 miles - where are you and where's 'home?'

erisian pope on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I'm here in Alaska and my family is in Michigan.

I'll probably be able to figure something out.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Why on earth are you in Alaska?

erisian pope on