As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Who here got the Onion Knight for Lulu? You know what I'm talking about.

rvcontre78rvcontre78 Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Games and Technology
Because yeah, I'm not a completionist at all. I like to get my gameplay out of something then try something new. Probably the only thing I've 100%'d was Castlevania: SotN... which means I only really beat half of it. :P But for some reason I felt like doing this stupid little side quest. It's not all that difficult or even useful. It's just... there. :P
What are some of the worst side quests?

The Top Ten Neglected NES games by The Gaming Standard

• Options
    FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    On my completionist run of FFVII I went and acquired Aeris' ultimate weapon, and her ultimate limit break. Yes, even though I knew that
    Aeris dies.

Feriluce on
    XBox Live= LordFeriluce
    Steam: Feriluce
    Battle.net: Feriluce#1995
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I've beaten the shit out of the first three Crash Bandicoot games, and same with Spyro.
    Um.. Grabbing all the files in RE2 and RE3. Pretty much it. I don't really do side quests..
    Edit!
    I grabbed all the damned frogs in Snake Eater.
    Without a walkthrough.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I haven't got it 100% yet, because some of it is just completion for the sake of completion, but I went back to Tales of Symphonia, levelled to something like 180 (So far. I can level higher if I want, I guess), found all of the characters ultimate weapons etc etc. All the stuff you can do or find that actually makes a difference to the game.

The problem is, in the process of doing that, you kill all of the bosses that would prove a challenge, so once you've GOT the ultimate gear, you're left fighting standard enemies unless you want to go down to the bottom of that evil book every time and fight the end guy there. Which I don't.

Centipeed on
  • Options
    schmadsschmads Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I tried and tried to dodge the lightning 200 times. Then I quit counting and just did it 5 at a time... when I finally decided I had done enough, I had dodged over 300. Madness.

schmads on
    Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    worst side quests?

FFVIII - Doomtrain --> who really gets that without a guide?

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The only games I ever tried to be a completionist with was the Armored Core series

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Feriluce wrote: »
    On my completionist run of FFVII I went and acquired Aeris' ultimate weapon, and her ultimate limit break. Yes, even though I knew that
    Aeris dies.

I love how this has to still be spoilered. : )
    But yeah, I didn't even know you could get stuff for her like that. nice!

rvcontre78 on
    Centipeed wrote: »
    I haven't got it 100% yet, because some of it is just completion for the sake of completion, but I went back to Tales of Symphonia, levelled to something like 180 (So far. I can level higher if I want, I guess), found all of the characters ultimate weapons etc etc. All the stuff you can do or find that actually makes a difference to the game.

The problem is, in the process of doing that, you kill all of the bosses that would prove a challenge, so once you've GOT the ultimate gear, you're left fighting standard enemies unless you want to go down to the bottom of that evil book every time and fight the end guy there. Which I don't.

Well obviously you love ToS and I've heard a lot of good things about it. I've never played any of the Tales of... games. Is that a good place to start?

rvcontre78 on
    Deusfaux wrote: »
    worst side quests?

FFVII - Doomtrain --> who really gets that without a guide?

Huh, wow, yeah, i don't remember that at all.
    Edit: Wait I just googled it. Did you mean VIII? I only played about 25% of VIII so maybe that's why I've no idea.

rvcontre78 on
    I did mean VIII

it's a stupidly obscure lengthy process to do it founded on the most vague of hints from a smattering of individuals all around the world

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I used to be a completionist but I just don't have the time these days to unlock everything and do all the sidequests. I'd never get anything done if I tried to fully complete every game I get.

Kelor on
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I don't mind super hard bosses or out of the way, unmarked tiny islands that you need to breed special chocobos for, but twitch reflexes in my rpg? I said fuck that.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Right now, the only thing I can think of is that I got every single star in Super Mario Galaxy, but I guess a lot of people here has done that.

Peewi on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Deusfaux wrote: »
    worst side quests?

FFVIII - Doomtrain --> who really gets that without a guide?
    Steel pipes, Malboro tentacles and something else wasn't it?

The Zodiac Spear from XII was worse though, no clues at all and without a guide you'll accidently make it unobtainable very early in the game.

I loved X to pieces but didn't get any of the powered up ultimate weapons, the tasks either involving killing the unkillable monsters (all of the optional bosses were a stupid bump up in difficulty) or performing otherwise impossible feats (getting a negative time in the chocobo race). It's a really annoying part of a really good game.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The only game I really remember taking the time to go 100% on was SOTN as well. I think I 100%ed Mario Sunshine too - I really liked that game.

I can't think of any other ones though - I tend to lose interest and move on after seeing an ending to a game.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    Sprocket FlossSprocket Floss Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Final Fantasy is the reigning champ of stupid mini-games and sidequests. I hated the butterfly catching one in FFX quite a bit but there are really so many to choose from.

Sprocket Floss on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    schmads wrote: »
    I tried and tried to dodge the lightning 200 times. Then I quit counting and just did it 5 at a time... when I finally decided I had done enough, I had dodged over 300. Madness.

I tried it a couple of times but quit when I realised I just didn't have the reflexes or the interest to do it. I did get a bunch of the other FFX ultimate weapons though, including Wakka's one which involved playing Blitzball an awful lot. Funny thing is, I hated Blitzball even before I did it. Ended up quitting the game after that, never mind the fact that I'd already maxed out a few of my characters stats so I could beat all the Dark Aeons...

I have to say though, getting your characters health up to 99,999 is pretty damn satisfying.

Similarly, I finished FFXII and completed a lot of the sidequests but quit when I realised I'd have to grind to beat the harder ones. Excessive grinding sucks.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    DarkstrykeDarkstryke Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Contact. Seriously, FUCK the elemental suits.

Darkstryke on
  • Options
    jagermeister73jagermeister73 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I tried it a couple of times but quit when I realised I just didn't have the reflexes or the interest to do it. I did get a bunch of the other FFX ultimate weapons though, including Wakka's one which involved playing Blitzball an awful lot. Funny thing is, I hated Blitzball even before I did it. Ended up quitting the game after that, never mind the fact that I'd already maxed out a few of my characters stats so I could beat all the Dark Aeons...

I have to say though, getting your characters health up to 99,999 is pretty damn satisfying.

Similarly, I finished FFXII and completed a lot of the sidequests but quit when I realised I'd have to grind to beat the harder ones. Excessive grinding sucks.
    Fuck that chocobo race with ballons and birds, Fuck it straight to the darkest pits of hell. Tidus never and will never get his ultimate weapon.

jagermeister73 on
    jagermeister73.png
  • Options
    Spectral SwallowSpectral Swallow Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I still haven't 100% Yoshi's island ds. It's just such a bad game, the levels are soo poorly designed. Come to think of it, I haven't 100% a game since the 64/Playstation era.
    I did get all the stars with Mario in Galaxy though... Just Mario.

Spectral Swallow on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I have a team of lvl 9999 characters in Disgaea 1, as in the 9 or so people you can have on a map at once.

KVW on
  • Options
    CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    rvcontre78 wrote: »
    Centipeed wrote: »

Well obviously you love ToS and I've heard a lot of good things about it. I've never played any of the Tales of... games. Is that a good place to start?

Yeah, I love the game. Light hearted, but still provides a challenge unless you overlevel. It's also got the real time battle system, which I find fresh. Keeps the battles interesting for longer.

Tales of Symphonia is probably the best place to start, although I've heard that the PS2 game (Tales of the Abyss) is also a good bet.

Centipeed on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yeah the grind for ultimate weapons in RPGs nowadays is pretty funny, in the fact that it takes so much effort that by the time you get it, you usually are so overpowered that you're one-hitting monsters anyway.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I've often wondered what was the point of some rewards like Mario 64 and getting 100 lives after acquiring all 120 stars. I mean you've finished the game and there is nothing left to do, why would I need 100 lives. But recently my 6 year old nephew came to visit. Give him 100 lives and let him loose in the world. He was happy and didn't get frustrated while learning the game. A couple of days later though I started his own save file.

RPG's with ultimate weapons add for extra harder battles which is great cause the main storyline can sometimes be a little too easy. Tales of Symphonia had great side quest bosses.

Handkor on
  • Options
    Steel-AngelSteel-Angel Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    At least there's a consistent method to getting the Onion Knight.

Compare that to the shitfucker who designed the butterfly catching game.

Steel-Angel on
    signaturep.jpg
  • Options
    JebralJebral The guy nobody pays attention to Down South in the land of free thinkingRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I remember getting like 0.01 second times on multiple occasions while going for Tidus' ultimate, but never getting it. On any playthrough. Ever. I no longer bother trying.

Jebral on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I think the ultimate spear in FFXII is fucking rediculous. Square seems to love putting in that kind of bullshit just to sell strategy guides.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Does anyone else remember the Chocobo Treasure Hunt in FFIX? I completed it with a guide and it still took like 20 hours to get everything. It's very possible that I just suck and wasn't able to effectively hunt for treasure, but I think it was just that time consuming. That said, it's awesome when you finally grab Zidane's ultimate weapon in a geyser of treasure.

I was, however, able to breed a Gold Chocobo in five or so hours in FFVII. I just got really, really lucky and most of my breedings worked out without having to restart more than a few times.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Kelor wrote: »
    I used to be a completionist but I just don't have the time these days to unlock everything and do all the sidequests. I'd never get anything done if I tried to fully complete every game I get.

Wow, your avatar is a bit of a random reference! Me and my friend would try and make tracks that just ended up with spectacular wrecks. Good times. : )

rvcontre78 on
    Am I the only one who had no problem getting Tidus' ultimate weapon? I found some of the others much harder, and I never went beyond Omega Cave's first floor.
    I don't like doing sidequests before battling the final boss anymore, because the ultimate items tend to make those final battles way too easy. FFX's final boss should not be beaten by a 90,000 counter attack.

Turkey on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Rizzi wrote: »
    Edit!
    I grabbed all the damned frogs in Snake Eater.
    Without a walkthrough.

Madness. Madness.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I never 100% games.
    Life is too short.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »
    I never 100% games.
    Life is too short.

This in and of itself is an interesting post.
    It's like picking "Not interested" on a call-in poll that you have to pay for.

rvcontre78 on
    I'm sort of the guy that goes into games thinking; "Yeah, I'm gonna' nail this b!tch. I'm gonna' complete this one so bad. I'm gonna' be a master." Then my three-year old attention-span kicks in after getting to, what, 23% into the game or something.

Thing is, I want to be a completionist, but I am never able to see it through to the end. There are just too many games to play.

Zilart on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Zilart wrote: »
    I'm sort of the guy that goes into games thinking; "Yeah, I'm gonna' nail this b!tch. I'm gonna' complete this one so bad. I'm gonna' be a master." Then my three-year old attention-span kicks in after getting to, what, 23% into the game or something.

Thing is, I want to be a completionist, but I am never able to see it through to the end. There are just too many games to play.

Yeah, that's definitely how I am. Right now I'm playing SMGalaxy and I keep thinking, "I'm gettin' all these, oh yeah." but I probably won't. Now without any giving away any spoilers I'll ask this. Is there a gameplay difference if you get 120? Or just like a palette swap. : P

rvcontre78 on
    Yeah, that's definitely how I am. Right now I'm playing SMGalaxy and I keep thinking, "I'm gettin' all these, oh yeah." but I probably won't. Now without any giving away any spoilers I'll ask this. Is there a gameplay difference if you get 120? Or just like a palette swap. : P
    Hah, that's funny, because I am basically at the same place and I'm wondering the same thing. I've gotten all 120 stars, just need to defeat Bowser once again .. I know what will happen afterwards, but as far as I know, and I could gladly be wrong, the only thing that really changes is:
    Luigi handles slightly different than Mario, sliding on surfaces and such, making him abit harder to play as. Thing is, even if that is the only difference the game is absolutely worth going through once more, IMO.

Zilart on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »
    I never 100% games.
    Life is too short.

This in and of itself is an interesting post.
    It's like picking "Not interested" on a call-in poll that you have to pay for.

I finish games.
    I just don't do every little side-quest.
    It's a poor use of time.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Wow, your avatar is a bit of a random reference! Me and my friend would try and make tracks that just ended up with spectacular wrecks. Good times. : )

Yeah, it's some ye olde geekery. My brother and I spend hours making tracks designed to trash each other's cars.

Re: FFX, I persevered and unlocked all the ultimate weapons except for Wakka's. Dodging lightning? Sure, it wasn't too bad. Butterfly catching? Can live with it. Timed chocobo races? Frustrating but doable.

But fuck playing blitzball that much. It was an ok minigame, but it got old after a while. And Wakka is annoying anyway.

Kelor on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Fuck that chocobo race with ballons and birds, Fuck it straight to the darkest pits of hell. Tidus never and will never get his ultimate weapon.

Oh shit I remember that I fucking spent hours trying to pass it finally I did...but I forgot to save. D:

Also for some odd reason I just HAD to complete Assassin's Creed even though it was tedious and stupid.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Yeah, it's some ye olde geekery. My brother and I spend hours making tracks designed to trash each other's cars.

Re: FFX, I persevered and unlocked all the ultimate weapons except for Wakka's. Dodging lightning? Sure, it wasn't too bad. Butterfly catching? Can live with it. Timed chocobo races? Frustrating but doable.

But fuck playing blitzball that much. It was an ok minigame, but it got old after a while. And Wakka is annoying anyway.

Yeah, I could never stand blitzball but my roommie played the shit out of it. It's like soccer but you aren't allowed to run. Instead you have to crawl and hate life. And I agree with the Wakka statement. It's funny after I found out that the same guy voiced Bender, I just didn't like him as much either. Hehe.

rvcontre78 on