As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Melodramatic Games

walnutmonwalnutmon Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Games and Technology
I just started playing Ace Combat: Fires of liberation and it's just starting to get to me that it seems like tons of games these days have become soft pansy fests of emotional crap. It's not like I can't take a good story, with quality characters and a wide range of emotion, but Ace Combat feels so forced that I sit there, listening to this wimpy blonde chicks inner monologues about her daughter and her stupid dead husband who painted her stupid name on his stupid plane before getting shot down, and I just sit there wishing it would end. I want to play the enemy, and drop bombs on her and her stupid daughter.

Go play with the angels.

Another game that struck me as just overly dramatic recently was Eternal Sonata. The game was beautiful and I couldn't wait to get into it... but after the first 30 minutes of wishy washy bullshit, I just couldn't justify spending any more time on it.... luckily it was a gamefly rental, so I didn't waste any money on it.

I don't want to sound like an over-testosterone driven buffoon, but can I play a game that gets me psyched up anymore without goofy stories about boring shit that noone cares about. I liked SOTC, I like FF7, I like sad movies and shit, but if you don't have the writing talent to pull off a emotional story, don't try, and just let me fire missles at terrorists that are developing super weapons to destroy the world. Please.

Fuck Gracemaria.

Anyone else feel the way I do? Or am I just a miserable fuck?

xbox: jmbizzo | ps3: walnutmon | steam: walnutmon | SC2: walnutmon.591
walnutmon on

• Options
    LunysgwenLunysgwen Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    All of the MGS games - The ones on PS1 and PS2 anyways, and it's not all bad. It seems like you need a nice dose of action. Have you tried Portal or Hitman?

Lunysgwen on
  • Options
    SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Lost Odyssey.

God the plot was awful and contrived.

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    walnutmon wrote: »
    Or am I just a miserable fuck?

Fuck yes you are!
    While it is true that some games are way too melodramatic, Ace Combat was fantastic (in-mission at least, and during the intro). I feel more patriotism towards Emeria than Canada (or even Québec).

Go dance with the angels :x

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Djiem wrote: »
    Or am I just a miserable fuck?

Fuck yes you are!
    While it is true that some games are way too melodramatic, Ace Combat was fantastic (in-mission at least, and during the intro). I feel more patriotism towards Emeria than Canada (or even Québec).

Go dance with the angels :x

hahaha

But that fucking woman... she is just annoying the hell out of me, the enemy guy with the brief case is pretty cool though. The game in general does seem pretty good so far.

walnutmon on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Lost Odyssey.

Damnit! I was really looking forward to getting that game from my gamer queue.

Damn you sissy game development writers!!! Damn you to hell!

walnutmon on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    No, AC6's plot was generally looked upon as shit. Generally, the Ace Combat fans fight over which game, between 4 and 5, had the best storyline... 6's is pretty awful.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ErchamionErchamion Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Lost Odyssey.

Damnit! I was really looking forward to getting that game from my gamer queue.

Damn you sissy game development writers!!! Damn you to hell!

Don't let one guy on a forum ruin it for you. I'm about halfway through disc 2 and loving the majority of the game. There are certain annoying characters that could be removed without hurting the story, but it's definitely not the the point of "fuck this game it's dumb."

Erchamion on
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    kyrandia

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Man, the MGS games are nothing BUT whiny bullshit (well, MGS1 and 2 at least - 3 has almost none of it, thankfully). You can't even fucking save your game without hearing about how Raiden's room is empty LIKE HIS SOUL and god she just goes on and on and on and they should've made an entire spin-off with just Rose whining because that's how long it is I mean you remember how long it took in Kingdom Hearts 2 before you were Sora yeah well that's about how long I'm talking about GOD.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    MGS1 wasn't really that whiny.

Well, I guess except for that "can love bloom on the battlefield" bullshit

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    LunysgwenLunysgwen Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I think the best part was when rose starts confessing she wants/is having his kid and he's in the middle of a boss fight.

Then again the Hari Kari Campbell is awsome at the end - I remember him telling me I was playing the game too long, and it really hit the spot. I had played through the entire game in ELEVEN HOURS STRAIGHT, in one sitting, and that bastard tells me to take a break.

Lunysgwen on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Reznik wrote: »
    MGS1 wasn't really that whiny.

Well, I guess except for that "can love bloom on the battlefield" bullshit

I guess you've never killed any boss in MGS1.

OH AND SPEAKING OF KINGDOM HEARTS

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I need scissors! 61!

edit: point. I guess I just accepted it as the typical Japanese style of "hey, you know this character's whole background? HERE IT IS in one giant monologue". I wouldn't really put it on the same level as MGS2 whiny.

Reznik on
    Forget it...
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Go play some God Hand or something.

Marty81 on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Also, just because he'd hate that so much, I'm gonna go ahead and refer to Squall in the past tense now.

Squall was a pissy emofag.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Reznik wrote: »
    I need scissors! 61!

edit: point. I guess I just accepted it as the typical Japanese style of "hey, you know this character's whole background? HERE IT IS in one giant monologue". I wouldn't really put it on the same level as MGS2 whiny.

MGS1 was already shattering the Cloud Strife scale (which is how whine was rated back then), but MGS2 just pulled all the stops and swung for the fence. It still hasn't been topped.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    At least MGS1 had enough awesomeness to make you (me) forget about it. MGS2 most certainly did not.

Zenitram on
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Screw you guys, both MGS and MGS2 were among the best plot-driven games ever.

And Cloud was not a whiner.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The ending of Sonic Adventure 2.

I mean, really, the fuck?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Yeah I didn't find Cloud to be whiny at all, really.

He was more like "Hey guys, why don't we just forget about my problems and go kill Sephiroth k?"

Squall, on the other hand...

Reznik on
    Forget it...
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Man, all I know is that Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War has by far one of the best trailers ever. It gets me so fucking amped every time I see it.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/9740.html

Then I played five with a friend and we both agreed...not a game for us.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Lunysgwen wrote: »
    I think the best part was when rose starts confessing she wants/is having his kid and he's in the middle of a boss fight.

Then again the Hari Kari Campbell is awsome at the end - I remember him telling me I was playing the game too long, and it really hit the spot. I had played through the entire game in ELEVEN HOURS STRAIGHT, in one sitting, and that bastard tells me to take a break.

I remember watching my older brother play MGS2 back when the PS2 really started to get popular and as a result memory cards were impossible to find
    We had the system on for about 36 hours straight at that point and he thought for a moment that those codecs were meant to deter players whose lives were being absorbed by the game until he started hearing the really fucked up ones

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Cloud was WAY whiny by the time's standards. He was the whiniest, for a time. It's just that he's been outdone by the subsequent monstrous quantum leaps in bullshit technology.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You've got a fever, and the only prescription is:

Contra_4_Coverart.png

Just reading the manual to this game will put hair on your chest.

slash000 on
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    SimBen wrote: »
    Cloud was WAY whiny by the time's standards. He was the whiniest, for a time. It's just that he's been outdone by the subsequent monstrous quantum leaps in bullshit technology.

He was also so completely fucked up mentally that once we learn of his ridiculous mental state and his inferiority complex its kind of believable. But some its just I'm angsty because I'm a complete retard whos in a dangerous situation I'm completely oblivious to while I whine

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    SkyGheNe wrote: »
    Man, all I know is that Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War has by far one of the best trailers ever. It gets me so fucking amped every time I see it.

Play Ace Combat 4. It doesn't match the trailer for Zero, but it's good. It doesn't have the bullshit that 5 has.

Renzo on
  • Options
    MasterHeliosMasterHelios Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You want dramatic, what about Nero in DMC4?

KYRIEEEEEEEE!!!

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Anyone calling Cloud whiny is remembering the game wrong.

He was pretty much the opposite of whiny. He had all these fucked up issues, and while everyone else is worrying about him he's basically all like "fuck it, we've got evil to stomp".

Cloud was NOT whiny.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    JebralJebral The guy nobody pays attention to Down South in the land of free thinkingRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Man oh man.... I really, really love the MGS games, but they are awfully full of hamfisted cheese. But mostly in a good and enjoyable kind of way.

Then we have incidents like "Do you think love can bloom on the battlefield?" and "THAT DEATH WAS MEANT FOR ME ABLOOHOO"

It makes me squirm every time Fortune opens her mouth.

Jebral on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Fortune was an good character IMO, and she still has one of my favorite deaths in a video game story.

But I don't consider the cheese in the MGS series to be a bad thing. The games clearly embrace it and so do I.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I still prefer the story of Ace Combat 5 over 4. But I'm a big sucker for melodrama in games.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Japanese games seem weirdly emotionally stunted - like a lot of their pop-consumption manga. My suspicion is that this is a facet of gaming's popular appeal; while more obviously melodramatic, it's no worse than a typical american action movie in its lack of emotional connection. I think what bothers many observers is that the japanese melodramas are pretending like they are offering depth or some personality development when they shovel that crap on us.

American games don't fare much better. The ones that do tend to serve what, at least in comparison, are niche markets for older gamers- PC RPGs, and adventure games.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    What jeeze this whole topic on overly melodramatic and not one has someone said

I SHOULD OF BEEN THE ONE TO FILL YOUR DARK SOUL WITH LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!!!

I don't think its even possible to be more melodramatic then that.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Wow thats funny.

"I should have been the one to fill YOUR DARK SOUL WITH LIIGHT LIGHT LIGHT LIGHT"

Sueve on
  • Options
    RotamRotam Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Kingdom hearts series.

Some of the cutscenes made me cringe.

Rotam on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    slash000 wrote: »
    You've got a fever, and the only prescription is:

Lime_CDC.jpg

Just reading the manual to this game will put hair on your chest.

super limed.

yes yes a million times yes. (Contra 4)

I booted that game up one day in the morning, before I got to the title screen I had a beard all the way down to my nipples.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Oh yeah? I had a beard growing from my nipples.

But yeah Contra 4 is pretty inarguably badass and so if you wanted to find soul-searching and dramatic monologues in it you'd have to supply your own.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Kingdom Hearts 2

WTF is that bullshit?

I think I lost a inch or two from my penis after playing that game.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    No, AC6's plot was generally looked upon as shit. Generally, the Ace Combat fans fight over which game, between 4 and 5, had the best storyline... 6's is pretty awful.

5 had an excellent storyline, but terrible delivery. I hated the characters.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Renzo wrote: »
    SkyGheNe wrote: »

Play Ace Combat 4. It doesn't match the trailer for Zero, but it's good. It doesn't have the bullshit that 5 has.

4 and zero are pretty much the best games ever.

NickTheNewbie on