As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Phalla] Phallastar Phallactica - Game Over: Colonial Fleet Wins!

• Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Still 4 basestars, didn't we blow one up in the last battle? Or did they get reinforcements?

Last Son on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Cylons don't react well to some radiation, IIRC, though I've only seen the first few episodes of Season 1. This seems different?

Wildcat on
  • Options
    FrostMistFrostMist NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    oOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

here ya go - Lymphocytic Encephalitis - contains spoilers

oOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

FrostMist on
    Untitled-1.jpg
  • Options
    Ares of KobolAres of Kobol Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Be aware that the link FrostMist posted contains spoilers.

A only mildly spoiler-y explanation: Lymphocytic Encephalitis was a disease that could kill organic Cylons. Humans were immune to it.

Ares of Kobol on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Ahhh, thanks Sparky.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    FrostMistFrostMist NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    oOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

my bad, didn't think about that :/

oOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

FrostMist on
    Untitled-1.jpg
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Sweet

I am pleased someone has an anti Cylon only weapon, it'll make our lives a lot easier.

Gumpy on
  • Options
    ArkasArkas Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I assume it was a one-time-use, though.

Arkas on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Clarification: Is 4 basestars correct?
    We blew one up in the last battle.

Last Son on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Huh, I never noticed that my shirt color is red-URK!

bOooOOOOoo not even in the narration booOOOOooOo

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Season 3 spoiler:
    So, if Osvik was a cylon, and died of the disease, and woke up on a resurrection ship, doesn't that mean the cylon race is doomed? Wasn't that the humans' plan in the show? So, even if they wipe us out in this battle, I'll consider it a tie.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Last Son wrote: »

Yes. It appears that 2 threat levels is all it takes for the Cylon to replace a destroyed Basestar.

Ares of Kobol on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    oooo

good luck especially those who didn't think I was bad :)

ooo

Egos on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Yes. It appears that 2 threat levels is all it takes for the Cylon to replace a destroyed Basestar.

The game ends when we kill all the Cylon players, correct? Regardless of whether the have ships left?

If they recover that easily, maybe fleet battles are something to be survived, not won.

Arkas on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Arkas wrote: »

The game ends when we kill all the Cylon players, correct? Regardless of whether the have ships left?

If they recover that easily, maybe fleet battles are something to be survived, not won.

Yes. You can also win if I deem you "highly likely" to win by the end of day 10.

Ares of Kobol on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    OsvikOsvik Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    OOooOOooooo

Well that was a nasty way to go out.

Good luck fellow toasters.

OOOoooooooo

Osvik on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Wow, slow day today. Anyways 4 people survived the poison gas attack of night 5. MrBlarney(protected by guardian), Mr. D(Cylon), Plutonium(Cylon), and PsychoLarry1.

Unless he has a good explanation I'd like to see him tossed out an airlock.

Last Son on
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Slow day indeed. Good afternoon.

Looks like we caught another Cylon. I'm a little bit wary about the number that are left, and the reveal that Osvik was an Engineer makes me worry a bit about who else might be a Cylon. How many are left? Two? Three? More?

We're also looking at a full-strength fleet against us. How many fighters do we have left? I wish that the ships that closed weren't so random, I would've wanted a different set of ships to close. Depending on what resources we have, we may not be able to destroy another basestar. But I'll work out the scenarios and see what is best for our fleet.

I'm gonna catch up on things and then see what more I can say.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Destroying the basestars seems kinda pointless, what with them gaining new ones. Plus its pretty unlikely we'll be getting into another battle since Bliss said the game will most likely end on day 10.

Last Son on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    The question would be, what method ensures we take the least damage?

I reread the combat rules, and I'm still a little confused. The Cylons are forced to retreat 2 turns after they lose a ship, so taking out a ship could theoretically result in less overall damage than doing nothing but defending.

However, it also mentions we have the ability to retreat - either entirely, or leaving a ship behind to continue fighting.

EDIT: Clarification retracted.

Arkas on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Destroying the basestars seems kinda pointless, what with them gaining new ones. Plus its pretty unlikely we'll be getting into another battle since Bliss said the game will most likely end on day 10.

Well, I think we went four days between battles because we destroyed one of them. If we don't destroy one today, we'll likely have another battle Day 10. Heck, we may just get a battle the last day as an event battle no matter what. *shrug* We'll see.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    FreeAgentFreeAgent Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I agree that hoping to destroy more Basestars might not be a great idea.

What I'm not sure about is how that will affect our threat level. When we destroyed one, the threat dropped down to 2 I believe. So what happens if we don't destroy any? Does the threat level stay high, and the Cylons keep pounding us?

This may have already been answered previously, but I'm just throwing that out there while I go scour the thread for answers.

EDIT: It appears my concerns are shared. Splendid.

FreeAgent on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    For some reason, I was under the impression that us killing one forced their retreat and that battles could last more than one day otherwise.

EDIT: For easy reference:
    Fleet Battle Rules

Maximum Hit Points of ships:

Phallactica: 500
    Pegasus: 600
    Adriatic: 150
    Industrial and Research Ships: 100
    Government/Civilian Ships: 75
    Cylon Basestars: 300

(Note that each Engineer aboard raises hull hit points by 10%)

Damage output:

Phallactica: 75
    Pegasus: 100
    Adriatic: 50
    Cylon Basestars: 50

Real battles are hectic and unpredictable. The attack strength of all ships, and the effective number of fighters on the defensive and offensive fronts, are modified randomly by +/- 10% each round.

_____

Outline of a battle:

Sources of damage during each combat round:

Round 1: Fighters
    Round 2a: Fighters
    Round 2b: Attacking Capital Ships vs. other Attacking Caps.*
    Round 3a: Fighters
    Round 3b: All Capital Ships. All non-military ships always jump to safety after this round.

*If the Cylon are attacking non-military ships, the Colonial ships will effectively be able to launch a free salvo at this point. If the Cylon have targeted an attacking military ship, both sides can hit each other now.

The battle lasts 3 rounds by default. Military ships can jump away after 2 rounds if ordered to do so (see below). One or more Colonial Military ships can also be ordered to stay behind and continue fighting the Basestars, if desired.

If one or more military ships have been ordered to stay and fight the Basestars after the rest of the fleet has escaped, all further rounds will be split into a Fighter phase (a) and a Capital Ship phase (b), just like round 3. Cylon Basestars will always flee two rounds after one of them has been destroyed (so if you destroy one on round 2 and stay in combat, they will flee at the end of round 4). The absolute maximum a battle will last is 6 rounds, after which Colonial ships will always return to their fleet.

If either side runs out of targets (all named targets destroyed), the rest of their damage will be divided evenly across the enemy fleet.
    _____

Options available:

Fighters:
    • Assign offense/defense ratio. A minimum of 50% of Colonial fighters will always defend. A minimum of 25% of Cylon fighters will always defend. Up to 100% of fighters can be assigned to defend. :P
    • Defending fighters will intercept any incoming fighter attacks regardless of target (see below for mechanics).
    • Attacking fighters must be assigned 3 targets. You must specify whether they will spread their damage evenly among them, or attack them in order (ie. destroy one, move on to the next).

Capital Ships:
    • Attack <target(s)>: Up to 3 targets can be given and you must specify whether you want to attack them in order or spread damage evenly among them. Attacking capital ships are in each other's gun/missile range on round 2.
    • Defend: The capital ship will try to intercept incoming capital ship attacks. 10% of all incoming capital ship damage will be redirected to the defending capital ship (for a 30% total mitigation if all three military ships defend). Defending ships are in attacking capital ships' gun range on round 3. Defending capital ships will divide their damage output evenly among all attacking caps.

_____

Fighter Combat:
    • Each fighter can do 1 point of damage each round.
    • Every defending fighter neutralizes one attacking fighter. Think of the defending fighters as "armor" and attacking fighters as "damage": any damage that exceeds the total value of the armor goes through to the intended target.
    • Example: 150 Cylon fighters attack the Phallactica, who is defended by 100 Colonial fighters. Every round, 50 points of damage is applied to the Phallactica.

Capital Ship Combat:
    • The damage of the Capital Ship salvo is reduced according to the damage taken by each capital ship. So if a Cylon Basestar is at 75% of hull strength on round 3, it will do 75% of its listed damage. Damage from Colonial ships is applied first and Cylon damage is based on their hull strength after the Colonial salvo.

_____

Casualties Of War:
    Rules governing players getting killed in fleet battle.

Deaths aboard Colonial ships:
    Each player aboard a ship that takes damage has a chance to die of collateral damage.
    This chance is proportional to the damage taken by the ship compared to its hull strength in the beginning of the battle. Thus, staying aboard already damaged ships can be dangerous.
    Example: A ship's hull strength is reduced by 25%. Every player aboard has a 25% chance of getting killed.
    Each Medic aboard a ship prevents one death from collateral damage (but cannot prevent his own death).
    Medics can't help if the entire ship is destroyed.

Viper Pilot deaths:
    After combat, fighter losses are tallied as follows:
    On the Defending front, a base 10% of fighters are destroyed. This is adjusted in proportion to the relative strengths of the combatants: if there are 2 defenders to 1 attacker, only 5% of defenders are lost.
    On the Attacking front, we do the same calculation.
    Now that we have the number of lost fighters, we just divide that by the total number of fighters in the fleet. This is the chance of any given Viper Pilot player getting killed in the battle.
    Medics do not protect Viper Pilots.

Example:
    200 Colonial fighters, 100 of which attack, 100 defend.
    250 Cylon fighters, 200 attack, 50 defend.
    On the defending front, 10% * 2 = 20% of Colonial fighters (20) are lost.
    On the attacking front, 10% * 0.5 = 5% of Colonial fighters (5) are lost.
    In total, 25 / 200 = 12.5% of Colonial fighters were lost. Each Viper Pilot has a 12.5% chance of finding himself dead in the narration.

I'll post two example battles shortly to give you an idea of how things can play out.

Arkas on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    From what I know, battles last a minimum of 3 rounds and a maximum of 6 rounds. After three rounds, the option to withdraw from battle is given to all military ships; non-military ships withdraw automatically. Cylon units automatically withdraw two turns after a basestar is destroyed.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Military ships can withdraw after the 2nd combat round, but that would pretty well fuck the civilian ships.

Last Son on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Very slow tonight, eh? I don't have any sure leads right now, so I'm going to hold off on voting for now.

Since it's looking like there's only three (of possibly four) days left, I'm going to !reinstate Martial Law. If we have resources to use, we'd best be using them while we still have a chance, yes?

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I am going to be throwing out my !vote for PyschoLarry.

Going to bed soon then I have to wake up early for a shift that ends when voting ends so it is likely that I won't be around till after the day ends.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    PsychoLarry1PsychoLarry1 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I am going to be throwing out my !vote for PyschoLarry.

Going to bed soon then I have to wake up early for a shift that ends when voting ends so it is likely that I won't be around till after the day ends.
    I don't think you're cute any more Sabs.

PsychoLarry1 on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    What to do, what to do... I need those clarifications answered soon...

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    MrBlarney wrote: »

Why the plural? As far as I can tell, you've asked for one clarification.

You have the exact same number of Vipers you had before.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Bliss 101 wrote: »
    MrBlarney wrote: »

Why the plural? As far as I can tell, you've asked for one clarification.

You have the exact same number of Vipers you had before.

Oh. Sorry if I seemed belligerent. I thought other people were waiting on clarifications.

So, 200 Vipers + Ace Pilot bonuses? I was assuming that we had lost some in casualties, but I will assume we have trained new recruits and have produced enough machines to suit them up. Alright then.

While I'm here, I suggest everyone to vote. Of course, I'd like to make sure that iamtheaznman and I stay ahead in our respective voting categories, but we'll want some backups just in case something happens. It just might, you know.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    CrovaxanCrovaxan Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    !vote for PyschoLarry Sabs speaks naught but the truth.

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
    Crovax.436 Steam: Crovaxan
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    [strike]!cheez[/strike]
    !Trust

For second place, should we lose the Phallactica. [strike]!Psycholarry[/strike] for now unless MrB says otherwise.

Wait... wtf? Where is cheez? He's not on any ship! Bliss, is this correct??

On the assumption it is, I think we have no choice but to vote !cheez. I guess I will put my backup president vote on !Sabs instead.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Gah, nevermind, my tired eyes didn't see him hiding on the Gideon.

!PsychoLarry1
    !cheez

And now I get some much needed sleep.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Battle planning is very difficult for today's battle. The difference makers are going to be the individual sides' tactics and how the fighter rounds roll. There's just WAY too much variability on those things.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Well MrB seems not to disagree with !PsychoLarry1, who has already waded through one gas attack unscathed. As for the other votes, I will nominate !Cheez as vice-president to take over if anything untoward happens and !precisionk to make up for last night.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    !PsychoLarry1

It's just easier to hop on the bandwagon than think for myself.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    PsychoLarry1PsychoLarry1 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I don't really know what I could tell you guys that would keep you from killing me. I'm just an engineer, I don't know why I survived the gas with two cylons. I did help fix the Pegasus though if that means anything. Anyway, I have work until after the vote closes so I'll likely be dead when I get back.

!Vote Crovaxan because I don't know, why not?

PsychoLarry1 on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I wonder if Cylons have sleeper agents in this game.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    The narration last night made me wonder if Osvik had not been 'activated' as a Cylon before his death, just by the wording of his death scene, actually.

Wildcat on