Options

All-Purpose Doujin Games Thread -- Coming Soon: Touhou DS

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ianator wrote: »
    Also, losing all three lives on Stage 4.
    I'd say that's normal at first. I know I would always get clip-deaths on one of the death fairies, the post-Momiji spam is pretty nasty, and Peerless Wind God/Illusionary Dominance is something you should almost expect having to bomb since it's a random shitstorm of bullets. Staying to one side of the screen helps a lot on that one, though.

One of your problems is playing on easy. I made that dumb mistake at first (Subterranean Animism was my first Touhou game...fuck you, Orin). Aside from the general increase in difficulty, one of the worst things is that you can and will die a lot to things that suddenly start shooting bullets in normal. It's almost like being near the POC and getting kicked in the head by Wriggle, but more frequently because you're going to have to unlearn those bad habits.

Obligatory:
    easy.jpg

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I have admitted to being an elementary schoolchild long ago. Come to think of it, pretty much any Stage 4 does that to me due to sheer length.

Gonna try again after I get home from work. I'll get you, silly crow, and your little dog too!

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    http://meiring55.hp.infoseek.co.jp/cgi-bin/uploader/

Someone's uploaded some screenshots of DS.

setrajonas on
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    setrajonas wrote: »
    http://meiring55.hp.infoseek.co.jp/cgi-bin/uploader/

Someone's uploaded some screenshots of DS.

Was that a moonspeak 404 I just got there?

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Should be working fine now.
    meiring0883.jpg

setrajonas on
  • Options
    aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    aunsoph on
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Huh, I wonder who's on the CD cover. Doesn't look familiar, but ZUN.

Zandracon on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited March 2010
    Alternative tengu.

Suck it, Aya.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Oh, ZUN:
    PlaystationNue.jpg

:lol:

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    ...I don't get it

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Pata wrote: »
    ...I don't get it

There's a square, triangle, circle, and X. They are also colored. Try and think of where you might have seen those before. You probably own something with them on it in either your bedroom or living room.

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    ...Oh.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Is she fighting a PS3?

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Dracil wrote: »
    Is she fighting a PS3?

Nue could have very well looked like a PS3 to her :P

I can't read the comment for that card, though:
    何だか判りませんが鵺的弾幕が空から降ってきましたよ
    これは遊星より遊びを提供してくれたって事かしら?
    私もこれに応えて楽しく記事を書かないといけませんね!

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Having just played Mountain for the first time, I think I can safely say it's the easiest by far.

Still not sure how I feel about the whole 'no more continues mid-stage' trend. It's the only reason I can't beat UFO.

I came really close though. That final spell card can bite me.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    ZUN feeds off of your tears:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCEh0yQIKzA

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited March 2010
    Touhou Soccer (2) is fully translated now.
    Patch
    http://www.mediafire.com/?myhugyitnzn

Although I mostly like it for all the low def remixes and the super shots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvcQRgA4wAw

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    setrajonas on
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Finally 1CC'd Perfect Cherry Blossom on Normal.
    With 5 lives to start.

Feels sooo good man.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Wow, SubAni seems to be ridiculously harder than previous Touhou games. I can't beat stage 5 without having to continue, and even with unlimited continues I haven't managed to beat the last boss yet.

Cantide on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/258/258883/

Akatsuki Blitzkampf sequel was announced, if anyone played that.

setrajonas on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited April 2010
    It got ported/upgraded/released on Sega's NAOMI board a couple years back, so it's been pretty successful since moving beyond the PC doujin scene.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Aroduc wrote: »
    Touhou Soccer (2) is fully translated now.
    Patch
    http://www.mediafire.com/?myhugyitnzn

Although I mostly like it for all the low def remixes and the super shots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvcQRgA4wAw

2 minutes in:

OMG THOSE POOR AUDIENCE!

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Cantide wrote: »
    Wow, SubAni seems to be ridiculously harder than previous Touhou games. I can't beat stage 5 without having to continue, and even with unlimited continues I haven't managed to beat the last boss yet.

The Rage Gauge (what I call the bottom left) makes it the easiest game to grab items in on the other hand.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Cantido wrote: »
    Cantide wrote: »

The Rage Gauge (what I call the bottom left) makes it the easiest game to grab items in on the other hand.

I had to ban myself from playing Reimu/Suika anymore because I get too used to being able to stop and let items come to me. I already cause myself trouble with EoSD and PCB because IN ingrained the habit of going up to the POC and focusing before I'm at full power.

Cantide on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited April 2010
    http://www.werk-zwei.jp/blog/

Hm. Apparently Werk's Megaman clone's -real- demo is almost out.

kuroko_dance.gif

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    curving lasers

curving lasers

currrviiing laaasersssssssssss

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Ianator wrote: »
    curving lasers

curving lasers

currrviiing laaasersssssssssss

UFO, or DS? :P For more fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcL75F5fQyE

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    JouleJoule Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So a trio of Platine Dispositif's shmups will be coming out on PSN next month: Hitogata Happa, Gundeadligne and Gundemonium Recollection.

I really enjoy that circle's games so it's good to see that they'll be getting more exposure. I hope this means Royal Edoma Engine gets a port too.

Joule on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    UFO. And it was against Byakuren on easy and her less-predictable lasers about halfway through. It's kinda funny, I'd gotten farther on Normal than I did on Easy 'til I used Laser Marisa.

I do need to play me some Double Spoiler though. Think I'll get it right after I finish with Shoot the Bullet.
    /rimshot

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited May 2010
    Aroduc on
  • Options
    aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Aroduc wrote: »
    VP is silly.

It always seems to be Eri that gets the infinites and/or 100% combos.

The one-man team behind VP patches these out of the game pretty fast though.

aunsoph on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited May 2010
    Eh. Lots of characters still have inane infinites and 100% combos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pzvRzJAVPE

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    To be fair, that eri one at least is hard as hell to do.

setrajonas on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited June 2010
    A month behind the times, but Fly Systems put out a promo for its MBA spiritual successor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBF-kpZ48vw

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I just ordered the region free Mushihime out of hype for Deathsmiles.

I let Mushihime slip by because I didn't want to import it, but I'm craving danmaku and never played a cave game, and can't wait for Deathsmiles. I almost bought the 1200 point Black Label DLC thinking it was the full game, but remembered that fact killed my original interest in the game.

Cantido on
  • Options
    DusT_HounDDusT_HounD Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hey guys, not strictly Doujin, but thematically i think it's well-aligned with such matters- has anyone played Hydorah?

http://www.locomalito.com/juegos_hydorah.php

It's a loving homage to Gradius and other arcade shmups of that era, by a Spanish dude. It has great music, and awesome retro styling. And it's free!!!

The author has a nice philosophy on arcade- style gaming: "I believe in short and intense games, in playing a bit each day enjoying every minute played until the end. I like adventure games that require skills to solve situations, makes my heart beat fast, brings me death or glory back, and lets me spend the rest of the day in another things."

I can't seem to get it to run properly on my netbook yet, as i have to play without sound to make it run normally... Sounds are in a separate folder, though, with cover art if you wanna burn it to CD too! I emailed the creator about my running problems, so hope he'll get back with a fix...

Anyway, hope you guys try it and enjoy as much as i have! ~82MB of shmup arcade bliss.

DusT_HounD on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I let Mushihime slip by because I didn't want to import it, but I'm craving danmaku and never played a cave game, and can't wait for Deathsmiles. I almost bought the 1200 point Black Label DLC thinking it was the full game, but remembered that fact killed my original interest in the game.

You should get ESPGaluda 2 if you get the chance. Probably my favorite Cave game, and a terrific port. If you have a ps2 that can play japanese games, the port of the original ESPGaluda is also terrific, actually considered superior to the arcade version.

setrajonas on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    setrajonas wrote: »

You should get ESPGaluda 2 if you get the chance. Probably my favorite Cave game, and a terrific port. If you have a ps2 that can play japanese games, the port of the original ESPGaluda is also terrific, actually considered superior to the arcade version.

Too late! Besides, I probably shouldn't have done that either. Cave says that they plan on doing more games localized in the West.

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    By any chance could you help me with Mushihime? I downloaded replays of every Black Label mode to better understand the scoring system, but it being in writing would be so much better. There are a total of nine different ways to play after all. Black Label Original, Maniac, and God. 1.5 Original, Maniac and God. And the crazy, gimmicky Charlie Foxtrot that is Arrange Mode.

I am as addicted to it as can be, but I'm not enjoying Mushihime as much as Touhou (which means I am enjoying it immensely regardless.) In Touhou, the difficulty always feels *just* right, because those games were designed specifically to be 1cc'd. You die a lot, but there are 1 ups everywhere. The bullets patterns are slow, and partially unmemorizable. Every pattern requires nothing more than your eyes.

Mushihime feels like a cross between Touhou and Raiden 3. Yes you can focus and weave through bullets...during hardware slowdown. A lot of bullet patterns are lightning fast, requiring you to memorize Twitch this way, Twitch that way, like Raiden 3. Those I do not dig. I doing Original Boss 5 in Training Mode over and over getting killed because I can't use my eyes, and I'm stuck trying to find which way to push left and right while praying. And don't get me started on the game actually utilizing hardware slowdown.

In Raiden 3. Every pattern is a fast, twichy pattern. I did not enjoy Raiden 3 at all, actually.

This is me nitpicking, this game is the shit, and Deathsmiles seems to not have this problem as much. But it's my first Cave game. Some....understanding is what I need.

Cantido on