Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    jeepguy wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    It's part of the reason many servers dislike waiting on foreign visitors though. Additionally, there's the foreign visitors who know better, but use the fact that they are obviously from another country and thus possibly unaware of the tipping custom to avoid tipping entirely.

Flip side: American tourists who get offended when UK bar staff bring their change over to their table.

Hmmm, I don't imagine that would happen quite as often. I for one prefer that my change be brought back in any case, I decide what I'm going to tip and I may want to tip more or less than whatever the change is. If the change comes back in bills too large to leave an appropriate tip I will ask the server to break it down, and I'm not shy about the reason.

It usually goes like this: Person goes to bar, orders drink, pays, gets given change, takes change but leaves some on the bar, bar staff take change that was left on the bar and take it to persons table.

japan on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Er hm I don't tip at bars. It never occurred to me until this very moment. I've never actually seen any of my friends tip at a bar either.

Well I have thrown a dollar or so into a tip jar as I entered or left but that doesn't count for much does it?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It's part of the reason many servers dislike waiting on foreign visitors though. Additionally, there's the foreign visitors who know better, but use the fact that they are obviously from another country and thus possibly unaware of the tipping custom to avoid tipping entirely.

Flip side: American tourists who get offended when UK bar staff bring their change over to their table.

Hmmm, I don't imagine that would happen quite as often. I for one prefer that my change be brought back in any case, I decide what I'm going to tip and I may want to tip more or less than whatever the change is. If the change comes back in bills too large to leave an appropriate tip I will ask the server to break it down, and I'm not shy about the reason.

It usually goes like this: Person goes to bar, orders drink, pays, gets given change, takes change but leaves some on the bar, bar staff take change that was left on the bar and take it to persons table.

Silly brits!

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Ahah, apparently flash versions newer than 9.0.48.0 don't work with Opera versions lower than 9.5 beta 2.

japan on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Er hm I don't tip at bars. It never occurred to me until this very moment. I've never actually seen any of my friends tip at a bar either.

Well I have thrown a dollar or so into a tip jar as I entered or left but that doesn't count for much does it?

In the US?

My typical tip is a buck a drink.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

D:

You are a bad person.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

In the US?

Same here.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Maybe it's the cheap college crowd but I never notice anyone tipping at the bars.

I do tip jars. Sure but i've never actually seen people dropping off direct tips.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Gooey wrote: »

In the US?

Same here.
    Indeed.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »

D:

You are a bad person.

Seriously. However, I have gotten into the habit of tipping on plastic rather than tipping per drink, unless I'm ordering a lot.

If I'm just getting beers I put 20 percent tip on the card, because it comes out cheaper than a buck a beer tip. If I'm with others and getting several drinks or some crazy mixed drink I'll tip cash for the drink.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    whoo, time to go home!
    So that's why your steam is on snooze.

Does San Andreas work well with a keyboard?

Quid on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Damn it, this is the second time this [chat] has made me question my sanity.

Here's the thing, no one has ever even mentioned tipping at the bars. When we go out to eat if someone doesn't tip it's brought up. Everyone throws in and what not. At the bars on the other hand I don't see a darn thing that resembles a tip and no one brings it to light.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I've never sat at a bar to drink. The prices for drinks still kind of shock me.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Quid wrote: »
    whoo, time to go home!

Yeah

and we never quite sat at the bar but that's where we'd do shots and what not. Carry pitchers back to our table etc.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I might actually get this play done before in due time, the rate I'm going. This is awesome.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    whoo, time to go home!

Very well, yes... even thought the question wasn't directed at me.

:P

Tav on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Yeah, I don't really see the appeal.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    You generally do it with a bunch of friends, and it's a chance to hang out, meet new people, drink decent booze, etc. Why go to a restaurant?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Bar prices are outrages in Canada.

Fix your alcohol purchasing system Canada.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Me too. Social drinking is kind of a funny concept.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    You generally do it with a bunch of friends, and it's a chance to hang out, meet new people, drink decent booze, etc. Why go to a restaurant?

Because I get tipsy off a glass of wine :P

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

The appeal is in the social interaction, weather to meet a potential mate or just relax in an atmosphere you don't have to clean up later. The high price of drinks is the catch to that luxury.

Edit: Also, the high price isn't terrible if you're ordering "well" booze. (the cheap stuff), which to me is fine if I'm just hanging out with friends and shooting pool or something.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Social drinking is probably the most fun a guy can have without taking his clothes off.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    A short, Asian woman with low alcohol tolerance...

Way to buck the stereotype, there, Irene. :P

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, and drinks I get from the bar are better than what I usually make, but still. It's a drink.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Mind, I love me some social drinking. But I've alway done it at other people's houses.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    A short, Asian woman with low alcohol tolerance...

Way to buck the stereotype, there, Irene. :P

Hey, I'll have you know that I'm 5'9"! I'm taller than a lot of Asian guys :P

And anyway, I was doomed from the first moment I laid eyes on a violin.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Am I the only person who likes crass, loud and cramped party scenes?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Mind, I love me some social drinking. But I've alway done it at other people's houses.

We usually play drinking games or visit some smaller party at someones house and then walk out to the bars to finish up our night.

You know, pregaming.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

no. That was my bread and butter.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Damn, I didn't know you were that tall. I had the impression you were 5'2"ish.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

I don't like socializing in a loud place because you can't hear what the other person is saying. And I really hate repeating myself, and it's even worse if I have to shout. That and I'm too much of a prude to booty-dance.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

You're as tall as me. Hmm.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I dislike clubs. Finding a good hole-in-the-wall bar is great though.

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Because I don't feel like cooking/ the restaurant can make better food than I can?

I'm never too lazy to go out and buy some booze, and I can probably mix better drinks myself, or atleast, mix them to my own personal desires.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

The appeal is in the social interaction, weather to meet a potential mate or just relax in an atmosphere you don't have to clean up later. The high price of drinks is the catch to that luxury.

Edit: Also, the high price isn't terrible if you're ordering "well" booze. (the cheap stuff), which to me is fine if I'm just hanging out with friends and shooting pool or something.

What does weather have to do with bars and mates? Jeez Ah way to screw up your whole post.

x5czn8.jpg

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    If I'm in a bar during the middle of the day and it's hot outside and I'm alone or with 1 friend and no one is in there I'll sit at the bar.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Whoo, drinking. Maybe I should do some of that soon.

radroadkill on
This discussion has been closed.