As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Co-ed dorm rooms

• Options
    Pants ManPants Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Pants Man wrote: »
    the thing is, they don't "choose" to live with any particular person unless they request them. coed roommates are chosen just as randomly as same sex roommates.

Do yourself a favor and read your own article next time. Coed roommates are not being randomly paired together in any of the cases the article is talking about. These coed situations only occur when the two people explicitly choose to live together.

you're right, i was wrong about that.

Pants Man on
    "okay byron, my grandma has a right to be happy, so i give you my blessing. just... don't get her pregnant. i don't need another mom."
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    this seems like the ideal situation if you're going to do coed rooms for freshmen. if you can choose exactly who you're rooming with, there's no problem here at all.

I kind of doubt, with our gender divide the way it is in our culture right now, that any administration is going to start assigning roommates without regard to gender any time soon. I would bet you any amount of money that all these co-ed rooming policies are by choice only. As in, you would have to actively request a roommate of the opposite gender in order to get one.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    this seems like the ideal situation if you're going to do coed rooms for freshmen. if you can choose exactly who you're rooming with, there's no problem here at all.

I kind of doubt, with our gender divide the way it is in our culture right now, that any administration is going to start assigning roommates without regard to gender any time soon. I would bet you any amount of money that all these co-ed rooming policies are by choice only. As in, you would have to actively request a roommate of the opposite gender in order to get one.

there's a difference between requesting someone from the opposite gender and requesting a specific person of the opposite gender. if all of the two dozen plus colleges restrict coed rooms to people who specifically request a person of the opposite gender, then i've got no problem with it. that's a choice made by two people, and that's fine if that's what they're both willing to do.

Pants Man on
    "okay byron, my grandma has a right to be happy, so i give you my blessing. just... don't get her pregnant. i don't need another mom."
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

there's a difference between requesting someone from the opposite gender and requesting a specific person of the opposite gender. if all of the two dozen plus colleges restrict coed rooms to people who specifically request a person of the opposite gender, then i've got no problem with it. that's a choice made by two people, and that's fine if that's what they're both willing to do.

Are you going to debate anything, or is this a livejournal thread for you to tell us what you're cool with and not cool with? Because I don't think anyone here cares about what you've personally "got problems with."

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    living with the opposite sex does require more maturity than living with the same sex
    Justify this statement
    it only applies if your family raised you to think that the opposite gender were icky and Different and tried to shelter you away from them even in your own house, in which case i pity the foo'.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    The Cat wrote: »
    living with the opposite sex does require more maturity than living with the same sex
    Justify this statement
    it only applies if your family raised you to think that the opposite gender were icky and Different and tried to shelter you away from them even in your own house, in which case i pity the foo'.

or if you didn't have siblings of the opposite sex.

not to mention the fact that there isn't a whole hell of a lot that simulates living in a dorm room with someone. unless the apartment/home you grew up in was around 20 feet by 15 feet.

Pants Man on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    As someone who's very conservative in person (I insist on wearing shorts over my underwear after my evening shower until I go to sleep), I must say that I'd be pretty comfortable w/ such an arrangement.
    Now, you might be wondering how a conservative person would feel comfortable w/ a roommate of the opposite gender. Well, you see I'm VERY conservative, so the baseline of having a male roommate is at the same level. This is why I'm so confident that I'll be fine on a co-ed floor while my family thinks I'll go nuts.

Apparently, SUNY had them back in my late-baby-boomer dad's day (or was it NYU Buffalo or Harvard [grad and dental school]?)

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Scalfin wrote: »
    As someone who's very conservative in person (I insist on wearing shorts over my underwear after my evening shower until I go to sleep), I must say that I'd be pretty comfortable w/ such an arrangement.
    Now, you might be wondering how a conservative person would feel comfortable w/ a roommate of the opposite gender. Well, you see I'm VERY conservative, so the baseline of having a male roommate is at the same level. This is why I'm so confident that I'll be fine on a co-ed floor while my family thinks I'll go nuts.

Apparently, SUNY had them back in my late-baby-boomer dad's day (or was it NYU Buffalo or Harvard [grad and dental school]?)

I hope your shorts are ankle length.

Drez on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I would be more comfortable living with a woman I didn't know or was good friends with than another guy (in the same room that is).

Though in the end, I probably wouldn't be overly worried. So long as they kept out of my mans :x

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This is an issue for some people? Huh.

If students want to room with whoever they like, great, who cares? It's their responsibility to not let their living situation, whatever it is, interfere with their performance at school. It's their responsibility, as adults who no longer live at home, to not let their living situation screw up their lives. I don't care if they want to live with the opposite sex, live in a cardboard box under the overpass, or live at a commune sharing a two story house with forty other people. The school shouldn't care either.

If parents get outraged then fine, let them override it if the student's there on their dime anyway. Have a checkbox on your residence application: [][] does/does notprefer single-sex dorm room [][] does/does not prefer coed dorm room [][] does/does not prefer whateverthefuckelse you want. They've got stuff like that already, to make sure you're comfortable with your living arrangements.

Students who fuck up because of it probably aren't mature enough to be at college anyway, but then again my opinion of your average college student these days (very, very low) pisses off enough people already. Yeah, it's probably just asking for a shitload of harassment complaints and whatnot, but there's a much bigger underlying problem there.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    This is an issue for some people? Huh.

If students want to room with whoever they like, great, who cares? It's their responsibility to not let their living situation, whatever it is, interfere with their performance at school. It's their responsibility, as adults who no longer live at home, to not let their living situation screw up their lives. I don't care if they want to live with the opposite sex, live in a cardboard box under the overpass, or live at a commune sharing a two story house with forty other people. The school shouldn't care either.

If parents get outraged then fine, let them override it if the student's there on their dime anyway. Have a checkbox on your residence application: [][] does/does notprefer single-sex dorm room [][] does/does not prefer coed dorm room [][] does/does not prefer whateverthefuckelse you want. They've got stuff like that already, to make sure you're comfortable with your living arrangements.

Students who fuck up because of it probably aren't mature enough to be at college anyway, but then again my opinion of your average college student these days (very, very low) pisses off enough people already. Yeah, it's probably just asking for a shitload of harassment complaints and whatnot, but there's a much bigger underlying problem there.

Bullshit, AresProphet, it's our responsibility, at Penny Arcade, to make sure these 18-19 year olds aren't allowed to put themselves in situations where they are more likely to engage in orgies and/or sexual assault. How can you not see this? You are ridiculous!

Drez on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    if all of the two dozen plus colleges restrict coed rooms to people who specifically request a person of the opposite gender, then i've got no problem with it. that's a choice made by two people, and that's fine if that's what they're both willing to do.

Well that's exactly what is happening, so you've just admitted there was no reason in the first place for you to make this thread.

Unless it's not about the article at all, i.e. not about what's occuring in reality but instead some theoretical situation that you have made up and that you think is wrong. That's actually what this thread seems to be.

So I guess if the point of this thread is just to show your backwards-thinking and paranoia, then carry on.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    Bullshit, AresProphet, it's our responsibility, at Penny Arcade, to make sure these 18-19 year olds aren't allowed to put themselves in situations where they are more likely to engage in orgies and/or sexual assault. How can you not see this? You are ridiculous!

I did forget that we are the arbiters of all that is right and wrong. My mistake.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Honestly, while noone should really care about this 'issue' since college kids are adults and can make decisions for themselves; the best solution for it, and all things dorm related to be honest, is to scrap the studio style room you force 2 kids into and put up some fucking partition walls. It doesn't even have to involve a lot more square footage to make it feel more 'apartment like' or anything, just give each person a niche and a door and you'd remove one hell of a lot of strife. Regardless of their respective genitalia.

And while we're at it, get rid of those goddamn common areas at the hallway's end and give that square footage to the dorm rooms. The only people who go there are douchebags playing Green Day's time of your life on acoustic guitar and the RA twice a year when everybody has to be told to 'seriously you guys, stop making the hallway smell like pot.'

moniker on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    moniker wrote: »
    areas at the hallway's end and give that square footage to the dorm rooms. The only people who go there are douchebags playing Green Day's time of your life on acoustic guitar and the RA twice a year when everybody has to be told to 'seriously you guys, stop making the hallway smell like pot.'

I liked the common areas. They provided a place to hang out, and served as the kitchen.

Although the lobby was big with lots of chairs so that was a good place to hang out too.

Anyway, I agree this is okay if people are picking their roomies. Otherwise it should stay as same sex if randomly picked.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Students have been lobbying for this on my campus since before I got here, and nothing yet. I mean, okay, if people don't want to get assigned to a coed room, whatever; everyone knows the random number generator hates you personally. But if it's mutually requested by both parties there's really no reason not to.

Ah, well, whatever. I'm of the opinion that students should move the fuck out of on-campus housing after their first year, anyway, although I know that's not as practical for some colleges as it was for mine.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Students have been lobbying for this on my campus since before I got here, and nothing yet. I mean, okay, if people don't want to get assigned to a coed room, whatever; everyone knows the random number generator hates you personally. But if it's mutually requested by both parties there's really no reason not to.

Ah, well, whatever. I'm of the opinion that students should move the fuck out of on-campus housing after their first year, anyway, although I know that's not as practical for some colleges as it was for mine.

yeah, on campus housing sucks and is overpriced. It turns out to be like.... 600$ a month here, and 300 off campus. Half price for a few blocks walk isnt bad.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    JebusUD wrote: »
    areas at the hallway's end and give that square footage to the dorm rooms. The only people who go there are douchebags playing Green Day's time of your life on acoustic guitar and the RA twice a year when everybody has to be told to 'seriously you guys, stop making the hallway smell like pot.'

I liked the common areas. They provided a place to hang out, and served as the kitchen.

Although the lobby was big with lots of chairs so that was a good place to hang out too.

Anyway, I agree this is okay if people are picking their roomies. Otherwise it should stay as same sex if randomly picked.

Would you said you had the, um, time of your life in the common areas? If so, refer again to moniker's post.

Drez on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    And while we're at it, get rid of those goddamn common areas at the hallway's end and give that square footage to the dorm rooms. The only people who go there are douchebags playing Green Day's time of your life on acoustic guitar and the RA twice a year when everybody has to be told to 'seriously you guys, stop making the hallway smell like pot.'

Actually, me and somebody else from my floor used that area quite often for doing homework together. Closer than the library, plus having your room right there is nice for grabbing things like snacks as you work. And a lot quieter than the lobby downstairs.

Just sayin'.

Agreed on rooms, though. I see no reason at all to force upon kids (as it's usually mandatory) a living situation that they will likely never experience again, unless they join the armed forces. Hell, even in the barracks we were given enough furniture that the first thing we usually did was divide up the room and partition it off using it (wall lockers, etc). You don't necessarily need a floor-to-ceiling wall, or a separate door, sometimes it's just nice having a corner of the room where you don't need to worry about turning away to avoid gazing upon your roommate's sack.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Daedalus wrote: »

yeah, on campus housing sucks and is overpriced. It turns out to be like.... 600$ a month here, and 300 off campus. Half price for a few blocks walk isnt bad.

The hilarious thing is that these big housing companies keep building "luxury student housing" for like $1000/mo around here. A thousand dollars a month? In Binghamton? Who pays for that shit? I'm paying $160, motherfucker. That's not a typo.

I guess somebody must be renting there, though, or else they wouldn't be putting up another complex. Fools, money, etc.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Personally I don't see much reason to disallow co-ed roommates, though they should only be by choice and not assignment. Sure college kids will make terrible decisions but it's nothing they wouldn't have done anyway by telling their roommate to get lost for an hour, and it opens up the option for a lot of platonic friendships. I'm sure the main thing stopping this is the administration being afraid of public backlash, which is understandable given our society's sex-phobia.

Zek on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I have to admit when I read this I thought "there are a lot of positives I can see here that would probably encourage healthier attitudes to relationships between men and women....but oh man is this going to go to hell if anything bad ever happens"

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It's a nifty idea plagued by the problems of modern society.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I have to admit when I read this I thought "there are a lot of positives I can see here that would probably encourage healthier attitudes to relationships between men and women....but oh man is this going to go to hell if anything bad ever happens"
    I don't see how that doesn't apply to sharehouses, though

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Justify this statement

or if you didn't have siblings of the opposite sex.

not to mention the fact that there isn't a whole hell of a lot that simulates living in a dorm room with someone. unless the apartment/home you grew up in was around 20 feet by 15 feet.

Don't be daft. You're accusing people who haven't lived closely with the opposite sex within their general age group of "immaturity", and then attempting to extend that line of thought to propose that the risk of these inexperienced (note to you: the terms are not interchangeable!!) people stuffing things up outweighs the necessity that they learn to cope with living with the opposite sex by such a huge amount that they can't be allowed to learn in a college situation. This is really really silly.

Not unexpected though, to anyone who has more than a passing experience with your posting. You got issues, kiddo.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited May 2008
    Are co-ed sharehouses generally administered by and/ or endorsed by universities?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Are co-ed sharehouses generally administered by and/ or endorsed by universities?

Here at my University, there are some like this. Basically student flats that are owned by the University and they have no hang-ups over being co-ed for 1st years.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Oh golly no, but I also don't see how elec's statement could only apply to institution-administered housing.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Oh golly no, but I also don't see how elec's statement could only apply to institution-administered housing.

It doesn't. However the aforementioned "run by the university" issue adds the "going to hell" component when you combine it with something like Fox News.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Because the university isn't placing people into the same bedroom in those. There's a world of difference between sharing a house/apartment and sharing a bedroom.

From a safety standpoint, I'd argue that it's at least possible that something bad happening (generally with the aid of alcohol/drugs) might be more likely if coed roommates are sleeping four feet from each other than if they have a wall or two and possibly a door (even an unlocked one) between them.

I don't know about your side of the ocean, but universities (or any institution, really) are more likely to catch flak (or be sued) for something that happens on their property or which was facilitated by an arrangement they endorsed than something that wasn't. Kinda like nobody really cares (from a PR standpoint) if some random student (or townie) is caught dealing drugs, but when a few athletes imported on full-ride scholarships get together and form themselves a drug-dealing operation suddenly that reflects on the school, in addition to the individuals.

Or something. It's late.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm finding it hard to grok why this is such a big fucking deal.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Because the university isn't placing people into the same bedroom in those. There's a world of difference between sharing a house/apartment and sharing a bedroom.

From a safety standpoint, I'd argue that it's at least possible that something bad happening (generally with the aid of alcohol/drugs) might be more likely if coed roommates are sleeping four feet from each other than if they have a wall or two and possibly a door (even an unlocked one) between them.

Man, I really don't reckon it makes a difference. I don't think people are likely to be tipped over the edge from no-rape to rape if placed in the same room as a potential target. Someone who's capable of making that jump isn't going to be put off that mental course by two inches of gyprock and timber. But hey, I don't hate men *shrug* maybe I'm a radical on this point.
    I don't know about your side of the ocean, but universities (or any institution, really) are more likely to catch flak (or be sued) for something that happens on their property or which was facilitated by an arrangement they endorsed than something that wasn't. Kinda like nobody really cares (from a PR standpoint) if some random student (or townie) is caught dealing drugs, but when a few athletes imported on full-ride scholarships get together and form themselves a drug-dealing operation suddenly that reflects on the school, in addition to the individuals.

Or something. It's late.
    that I can go with, but again, I don't contend that the arrangement actually increases the likelihood of crime.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Feral wrote: »
    I'm finding it hard to grok why this is such a big fucking deal.

Same here.

I suppose I'm surprised, because I didn't know that this went on. But I'm not really shocked at all. It's not really that big of a deal. People are going to knock boots, regardless. Don't think that a silly thing like walls is going to stop them.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I don't think anyone's arguing it increases the likelihood of anything, just that if something happens then there's a good chance it'll get blown out of all proportion (relative to who is actually responsible, which will be some combination of law enforcement and the perpetrator).

EDIT: Oh snap that's an awkward mis-type.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Wait. Rape? Really guys? That's the argument you're making?

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    yeah, but that just leads into a 'raaar, fucking media' discussion. They dumb everything up.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008

What did you think pants was talking about? pillowfights and wedgies?

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008

This assume Pants Man ever really advanced an argument anyway.

Personally, I thought Pants was protesting against her waking up to find dirty underwear and vegemite everywhere.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I don't think anyone's arguing it increases the likelihood of anything, just that if something happens then there's a good chance it'll get blown out of all proportion (relative to who is actually responsible, which will be some combination of law enforcement and the victim).

The only reason it would get blown out of proportion is because cohabitation such as this is so new. If it were a commonplace thing, no one would really care all that much more.

I know we're talking about rape and all, but really. Putting a rapist in a different room from a potential victim is not going to curb anything. In case you didn't know, a lot of rapists are fucking psychopaths that either premeditate their crime, or are on a mission to do it to whomever presents themselves.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Yes, that's exactly what my point was. Goddamn. Do you get up every morning and sit on broken glass or something?

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png