As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Alternative, off-the-path, under-the-radar... comix

• Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    admanb wrote: »
    So, I grabbed Phonogram: The Singles Club from Kieron Gillen himself at ECCC this past sunday

i did this thing too

talked to him briefly about the new pipettes material and about his plans for the now likely never going to happen fourth series

:(

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    KiwiKiwi Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    So, I grabbed Phonogram: The Singles Club from Kieron Gillen himself at ECCC this past sunday

i did this thing too

talked to him briefly about the new pipettes material and about his plans for the now likely never going to happen fourth series

So what were his plans for the fourth series?

(Because I'm a terrible masochist and I need to know about things that will never see sunlight.)

Kiwi on
  • Options
    MadarameMadarame Registered User new member
    edited April 2010
    Also, if you guys liked Scott Pilgrim, it's worth checking out Bryan Lee O'Malley's first book, Lost at Sea.

He has a great way of capturing those seemingly insignificant significant moments in a person's life.

Madarame on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kiwi wrote: »
    Sars_Boy wrote: »

i did this thing too

So what were his plans for the fourth series?

(Because I'm a terrible masochist and I need to know about things that will never see sunlight.)

he was speaking at an incredibly fast rate but from what i could tell it would talk about the origin of Kohl among other things

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So recently I read The Killer, a French series by Matz (W) and Luc Jacamon (A), which was originally published in six albums, and collected into a TPB by Archaia in 2007. I felt the need to share.

ejeglg.jpg

Starring an unnamed hitman, The Killer opens with the protagonist in a hotel room, waiting for a mark who's already several days late. As cabin fever collides with a mid-life crisis, he begins ruminating on his existence, past, motivation, and the world at large. Sociopathic and largely detached from the world, he takes a critical view of both society and himself, believing that he's really no more morally aberrant than anyone else, while admitting that his life has left him with more dead acquaintances than live ones.

Deeply unnerved by the unraveling of his carefully laid plans, the Killer bungles the hit in a massive way, further compounding his mental stress. Now with a French police officer on his trail, and his mental state quickly deteriorating, he must re-focus himself, elude the persistent cop, and make some hard decisions about how he's going to live his life.

I really loved this comic; it's a bit light on plot, but as a character study, it's really, really interesting. The art's fantastic, and Jacamon's especially gifted at depicting scenes occurring in nature. My only major complaint is that it, being a translated work, feels a bit dry at times. Which is an issue that I also have with a lot of manga and Euro-comics. Still, if you can get past that, and you have an interest in crime noir, I think you'll dig it.

Here's a brief excerpt I'm pretty fond of. Pardon the crappy scans.
    5b7ksj.jpg

351zddv.jpg

i2srxi.jpg

3463sbm.jpg

Munch on
  • Options
    liquiddarkliquiddark Odd magpie St. John's, NLRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    If you've never read Metabarons, it's a beautiful series, not particularly long but pretty dense for all that.

Two other beautiful, strange books are Christopher Shy's from Studio Ronin, Silent Leaves and Soul Stealer.

I highly recommend Into the Dust by Jesse Rubenfeld. It's only 4 issues into a 12 issue series and he's been stuck there way too long, but it's still a lovely book with a nice twist on the Oz story. I commissioned a piece from him based on his series, and it's on his blog here (it's the flying mother and child, not the Cubist Thing).

Going back a few years, I really liked Peter Sickman-Garner's Hey Mister!, particularly #6, The Trouble with Jesus.

I picked up the first volume of Rex Libris a few while back, it's a reasonably fun read and Turner uses vector art to good effect. I tried his book Nil as well, but I didn't like it that much.

Same show I grabbed a copy of Flinch, which is well worth it, lovely little horror anthology with the greatest cover image I've seen.

If you're a Bone fan, you might look at Yets!, it's a children's comic but is extremely readable and Mike Bocianowski's world is similarly clean-lined and full of fun imaginaries.

I second the recommendation of The Boys, and I'll add on top of it a recommendation for an arguably darker precursor in the form of Rick Veitch's Brat Pack. BP isn't as over the top as The Boys, but still a very interesting read to lay alongside.

There's probably a lot more I should add here. Whoever posted Xeno's Arrow, thank you, I've been trying to find that forever.

liquiddark on
    Current project: Contension, a realtime tactics game for mobile
    @oldmanhero .programming .web comic .everything
  • Options
    MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Munch wrote: »
    So recently I read The Killer, a French series by Matz (W) and Luc Jacamon (A), which was originally published in six albums, and collected into a TPB by Archaia in 2007. I felt the need to share.

ejeglg.jpg

Starring an unnamed hitman, The Killer opens with the protagonist in a hotel room, waiting for a mark who's already several days late. As cabin fever collides with a mid-life crisis, he begins ruminating on his existence, past, motivation, and the world at large. Sociopathic and largely detached from the world, he takes a critical view of both society and himself, believing that he's really no more morally aberrant than anyone else, while admitting that his life has left him with more dead acquaintances than live ones.

Deeply unnerved by the unraveling of his carefully laid plans, the Killer bungles the hit in a massive way, further compounding his mental stress. Now with a French police officer on his trail, and his mental state quickly deteriorating, he must re-focus himself, elude the persistent cop, and make some hard decisions about how he's going to live his life.

I really loved this comic; it's a bit light on plot, but as a character study, it's really, really interesting. The art's fantastic, and Jacamon's especially gifted at depicting scenes occurring in nature. My only major complaint is that it, being a translated work, feels a bit dry at times. Which is an issue that I also have with a lot of manga and Euro-comics. Still, if you can get past that, and you have an interest in crime noir, I think you'll dig it.

5b7ksj.jpg

351zddv.jpg

i2srxi.jpg

3463sbm.jpg

I had tried the first two issues then fell behind due to the uneven scheduling. I didn't know it was finally in softcover.

And apparently Archaia are putting out a second volume. Their site says "coming march 2010" but their site is also a mess.

Still, this is something I definitly want to get a hold of again.

MastaP on
  • Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, I wouldn't mind reading a few more European comics. I've ordered a few French comics online just recently.

AJR on
    Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    liquiddark wrote: »
    If you've never read Metabarons, it's a beautiful series, not particularly long but pretty dense for all that.

Two other beautiful, strange books are Christopher Shy's from Studio Ronin, Silent Leaves and Soul Stealer.

I highly recommend Into the Dust by Jesse Rubenfeld. It's only 4 issues into a 12 issue series and he's been stuck there way too long, but it's still a lovely book with a nice twist on the Oz story. I commissioned a piece from him based on his series, and it's on his blog here (it's the flying mother and child, not the Cubist Thing).

Going back a few years, I really liked Peter Sickman-Garner's Hey Mister!, particularly #6, The Trouble with Jesus.

I picked up the first volume of Rex Libris a few while back, it's a reasonably fun read and Turner uses vector art to good effect. I tried his book Nil as well, but I didn't like it that much.

Same show I grabbed a copy of Flinch, which is well worth it, lovely little horror anthology with the greatest cover image I've seen.

If you're a Bone fan, you might look at Yets!, it's a children's comic but is extremely readable and Mike Bocianowski's world is similarly clean-lined and full of fun imaginaries.

I second the recommendation of The Boys, and I'll add on top of it a recommendation for an arguably darker precursor in the form of Rick Veitch's Brat Pack. BP isn't as over the top as The Boys, but still a very interesting read to lay alongside.

There's probably a lot more I should add here. Whoever posted Xeno's Arrow, thank you, I've been trying to find that forever.

Metabarons is weird as hell.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    jimbo034jimbo034 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Munch wrote: »

ejeglg.jpg

5b7ksj.jpg

351zddv.jpg

i2srxi.jpg

3463sbm.jpg

Would you recommend getting this in french then if I can find it?

Also does anyone know if World War Robot is worth picking up and where the best place to find it is?

jimbo034 on
  • Options
    FeathersMcGrawFeathersMcGraw Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My haul at Heroes Con 2010 was pretty severely curtailed by obtaining autographs/sketches, but I did manage to get some interesting-looking stuff:

Flink by Doug TenNapel. A boy encounters Bigfoot on a camping trip. I'm pretty sure I've raved about TenNapel's work here before, and it seems like he cranks out a new original graphic novel every year or so. This one's no exception to the great mix of cartoony artwork, comedy, and action.

Grounded by Mark Sable and Paul Azaceta. A nerd with a penchant for superhero comics discovers that his parents are superheroes, but he hasn't inherited their talents.

Halo and Sprocket by Kerry Callen. Halo is an immortal, sexless, desire-less celestial being. Sprocket is a robot trying to understand the quirky ways of humanity. And Kate (not titled) is the human who tries to explain it to them. The vignettes remind me a little of the philosophical ponderings of Calvin and Hobbes, albeit taken to greater extremes, since Sprocket is simplistically naive/literal and Halo is often disdainful of the baser urges of humanity.

The Playwright by Daren White and Eddie Campbell. "A dark comedy about the sex life of a celibate middle-aged man." The story is told entirely in narrative and examines the inner musings of what can be charitably described as a nerdy introvert. Campbell's cartooning is brilliant, rendering both simplicity and detail in the same frame.

Thieves and Kings: Apprentices by Mark Oakley. I was surprised and pleased to find this, because I wasn't sure if Thieves and Kings was still being published. This is the sixth graphic novel in the series, which is a fantasy epic focusing on Wizards and Thieves (and apparently, in Oakley's world, these are things to be capitalized). Oakley does simple, Miyazaki-esque characters in beautifully detailed sketched backgrounds.

FeathersMcGraw on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So I got Chew Vol 1 for 5 bucks at Wizard World and I really liked it!

It didn't have any dudes in capes punching other dudes in capes and I liked it!

I don't know how to deal with this

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    noooo.jpg

Deal with it by buying Phonogram: The Singles Club gogogo

Wildcat on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So I got Chew Vol 1 for 5 bucks at Wizard World and I really liked it!

It didn't have any dudes in capes punching other dudes in capes and I liked it!

I don't know how to deal with this

Chew is good times. I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on Vol. 2.

I just read "A God Somewhere" written by John Arcudi and it's actually pretty good. It's a story somewhat similar to Irredeemable but from a more human perspective. I'd recommend checking it out to any peeps who like those types of stories.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Not gonna buy Phonogram

I know I am not gonna like it

I know it

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Phonogram is so much fun though.

AJR on
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I have zero interest in phonogram too. It's some kind of modern fantasy involving music or something, from what I have heard. I don't really care about magic or music.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Do you care about people? Or being passionate about things? Because it's not really about magic or music.

admanb on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Man I hate both people and things

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Is there anything you love

admanb on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'm not saying it is bad, it just doesn't interest me at all from what I know about it. My budget is limited, there are things that do interest me that I haven't bought yet. I'll buy those things first.

TLB, you should try out Biomega. It has a badass cyborg on a ridiculous motorcycle fighting zombies and monsters and he teams up with a talking grizzly bear.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I only love what is best in life:

To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    That's fair.

admanb on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I only love what is best in life:

To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

That is good! That is good.

Solar on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I read the first volume of Phonogram
    I thought that it alternated between mediocre and bloody awful

and it is totally about music and magic

Antimatter on
  • Options
    KiwiKiwi Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Antimatter wrote: »

Good news! The second volume has almost nothing to do with the first, and is a hojillion times better. But I have a total lady hard-on for the series, so I'll go ahead and talk about something else.

I just got into Demo by Brian Wood and Becky Cloonan. I guess the premise revolves around people with special powers and how they deal with it? Though sometimes they gloss over the Powers part and just write excellent single-issue stories about cannibalism or OCD or whatever. The second volume is just finishing up, and I think each issue has gotten better and better.

Kiwi on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Antimatter wrote: »

See, I collected The Singles Club after seeing a few people mention it online. I loved it. I thought it was fun and clever and different. Then I decided to pick up the Rue Britannia thinking I'd get more of the same.

I couldn't really get into it. I read about halfway through before putting it back on my shelf and I haven't come back to it.

I don't necessarily think you'll enjoy The Singles Club, but it's very different to Rue Britannia.

AJR on
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I might prefer The Singles Club, Rue Britannia was just bizarre

Antimatter on
  • Options
    Duke PhillipsDuke Phillips Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So I saw a bunch of people were picking up Chew and saying good things about it so I saw it at Books & Co. and decided to use a gift card I had on me to grab the first volume.

Just want to say thank you. Awesome suggestions all up in hurr. I can't wait to get the second volume and catch up although I don't know if this would be better trade waited or just go ahead and get singles.

I'd love to hear some more suggestions about alt. comics like that. I love the mystery/crime solving kinda thing, as well as my normal super hero stuff so yeah anything like that would be cool.

Duke Phillips on
    PSN/Origin: Grizz359
    Steam: Grizz
    3DS: 4038-6012-7259
    T4CT wrote: »
    everyone deserves space vaginas for christmas
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    There is an oversized hardcover coming out, Chew Omnivore Edition.

I just bought Tennapel's Ghostopolis. I'm about a quarter of the way into it, and it is really, really good. This book is awesome. The art is really good, the writing is great.
    Basically, a boy, Garth, gets sent to a weird afterlife by mistake and has adventures riding a horse skeleton. The afterlife isn't so nice anymore, so ghosts try to escape. Gallows works for an agency who returns the escapee ghosts to the afterlife. He messes up and sends Garth to the afterlife. Garth has an incurable disease and doesn't have much time left on Earth, and his Mom is freaking out because Gallows sent him to the afterlife.

Gallows goes to an ex girlfriend of his, who has a crazy buggy that can transport you to the afterlife.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Morning Glories came out this week, and this Nick Spencer guy can write a pretty good story. It's kind of a mix between DeFillipis and Weir's New Mutants work, Young Allies, Umbrella Academy (though not as gloomy), and a bit of Ultimate Spider-Man. For $4 you get 48 pages of story, and it moves fast yet it doesn't feel decompressed.

Here are some scans to point out what I'm talking about:

Basically kids are chosen from around the world to attend school at Morning Glory Academy, and it's the usual tropes of students, but it's written so well:

mg1a.jpg

mg1b.jpg

mg1c.jpg

mg1d.jpg

mg1f.jpg

mg1g.jpg

That right there is when I realized it was a good book, that's clever.

And here's where the twist happens:

mg1e.jpg

It also has crazy RA's, students trying to break out like it was a prison, and a psychic demon who seems to stalk those who figure out too much about the school.

It's really worth a look, and Nick Spencer just became someone who could write Teen Titans and save the book. He takes some cliches and tropes about teen characters and makes them original and interesting enough to make me want to continue picking up the book.

Good job promoting this, Image.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    That looks really good.

admanb on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    4th Letter has a pretty good piece on King City, which Douglas and I drone on about ad nauseum. I often have a hard time expressing why I like the book so much, but David Brothers does a nice job explaining it, both through words and scans of the comic pages. So go check it out, and if you like what you see, take a chance and buy the book.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    King City is the only comic I'm currently collecting in issues. I love it.

AJR on
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'll be sad when the last issue comes out, but Multiple Warheads is getting a full color release next, I think.

King City is amazing, and unique, and it does make a lot of other comix look inferior. Brandon Graham really gets comix, he understands comix, he loves comix. He studies comix from all over the world, comix of every genre imaginable, and learns from all of them.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I would buy King City but the odd size means I wouldn't be able to store them at all

And since it's not getting collected that means I'll never end up reading it

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Buy it, goose.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well it's already in the double digits so I don't wanna make the effort of tracking down the back issues

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Dog, it is only going to be 12 issues.

DouglasDanger on