As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Why didn't you tell me Fables was awesome?

Bloods EndBloods End Blade of TyshallePunch dimensionRegistered User regular
edited April 2007 in Graphic Violence
During the break I read a bunch of Fable TPBs.

Why wasn't I aware that this series was fucking awesome?

Bloods End on

• WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited May 2006
    that was kind of a big letdown, though

what with the OBVIOUS FUCKING CLUES EVERYWHERE

Whippy on
  • GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited May 2006

Obvious to the point where I said "Nah, they wont do that. It's too obvious! It's got to be Boy Blue!"

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • DakDak Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Manifest wrote:

Obvious to the point where I said "Nah, they wont do that. It's too obvious! It's got to be Peter Pan!"

fix'd

Dak on
    GAWink.jpg
  • Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I've liked Fables since issue #1. Liked it a lot. But starting with Last Castle and Homelands, the book started rocking my face.

Conditional_Axe on
  • denihilistdenihilist Ancient and Mighty Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2006
    I think Fables has lost its focus recently.

denihilist on
    edited May 2006
    denihilist wrote:
    I think Fables has lost its focus recently.
    i think that there are definitely spots where this happens. the world war ii flashback and the jack goes to hollywood story were filler, as was the arc prior to the current one, but at least they're entertaining filler. I think things are going to start moving again now.

Conditional_Axe on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I bought the first Fables trade and found it so excruciatingly boring that I almost ate my own hand.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Someone proposed the idea that the Adversary should have been none other than Walt Disney. I could not agree more. I mean, legal complications aside, it would have been amazing.

Munch on
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Bigby Wolf is one of my fave comic book characters, and it looks like he's back with the latest issue.

It was pretty nifty seeing the Arabian Nights type characters, hopefully Willingham will get to some more fables from other countries (Far East, Native American, Aboriginal, Norse, etc etc). Overall, smahing series.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • DakDak Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Munch wrote:
    Someone proposed the idea that the Adversary should have been none other than Walt Disney. I could not agree more. I mean, legal complications aside, it would have been amazing.

Holy shit, you're right.

Jesus Christ, that blew my mind.

It's so perfect.

*mind is blown*

Dak on
    GAWink.jpg
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    That is indeed a good idea.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • inthegrayinthegray Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    i've yet to be dissapointed by Fables. i love the arcs that digress from the main conflict, adding some more back-story to the characters. the WWII Bigby Wolf and Boy Blue issues were awesome.

inthegray on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited May 2006
    Of course, if it WAS Disney, that'd mean he was in cahoots with anyone he ever featured in cartoon, e.g. Cinderella, Snow White, Beauty, Beast, etc. Assuming the whole "popularity = power" thing is true, that is.

Still, I agree -- an amazing idea.

Unknown User on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited May 2006
    inthegray wrote:
    i've yet to be dissapointed by Fables. i love the arcs that digress from the main conflict, adding some more back-story to the characters. the WWII Bigby Wolf and Boy Blue issues were awesome.

Boy Blue is my favoritest Spider-Man analogue ever.

Bloods End on
  • ParisInFlamesParisInFlames Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Just got the 6th tpb so now I'm almost all caught up, I think I might just buy 48 and 49, and keep 'em around till the 7th trade comes out on June 28th.

[spoiler:41390cb04a]Yeah, the boy blue escape and the whole explanation for Jepetto's getting in too deep into the corruption was kind of meh. Boy Blue kicking ass and taking names was cool as hell though.[/spoiler:41390cb04a]

ParisInFlames on
    UnderwaterUmbrellaGirlwider.jpg
    Steam id: skoot LoL id: skoot
  • Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Fables sucks a mean dick.

Cosmic Sombrero on
    edited June 2006
    Oh god, #50.

Israel.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Oh god, #50.

Israel.

[spoiler:54c131c569]Bigby is so awesome. EXPLOSIVES![/spoiler:54c131c569]

Mai-Kero on
    edited June 2006
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Oh god, #50.

Israel.

[spoiler:12237d8514]Bigby is so awesome. EXPLOSIVES![/spoiler:12237d8514]
    and to be a girl for a moment, i loved his proposal to snow, and her response.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    I love me some Fables. I've been singing it's praises for quite some time, just not on this forum.

My favorite moment so far was when Frau Totenkinder [spoiler:5ab0060e35]confronted Baba Yaga in a witches duel that trumped every mystical showdown I've ever seen in comics.[/spoiler:5ab0060e35]

Regina Fong on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Next trade is out next week (according to Amazon) woooooo!

Abracadaniel on
  • inthegrayinthegray Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    just read #50, and it was indeed awesome. one question though:

who was that girl with fly, who didn't know if she recognized wolf? was that red? it's been sooooo long since the last issues.

inthegray on
  • JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    inthegray wrote:
    just read #50, and it was indeed awesome. one question though:

who was that girl with fly, who didn't know if she recognized wolf? was that red? it's been sooooo long since the last issues.

Pretty sure its Red Riding Hood.

JohnDoe on
  • bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    I only just twigged that yesterday while I was drinking.

Man, it's Red Riding Hood... and Big Bad Wolf.

Heh.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
    edited June 2006
    [spoiler:c4db2c14dd] If thats the real Red Riding Hood (as Gepetto said), shouldn't she remember Bigby? The pigs did. [/spoiler:c4db2c14dd]

JohnDoe on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    She's never seen Bigby as Bigby, the Human. She's just seen him as Big Bad Wolf, the Wolf.

Scooter on
    edited June 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    She's never seen Bigby as Bigby, the Human. She's just seen him as Big Bad Wolf, the Wolf.

Oh thats right.

JohnDoe on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2006
    I haven't read this thread, but I picked up Volume 1 the other day. So far all I've read is the first two issues, but I like it so much I just ordered the next three trades off of Amazon.

My boss says the first volume's kind of slow, and the second one starts picking up, and that issue 50 is one of the best issues in comics ever. However, he's retarded, so I don't know if I can trust him.

Garlic Bread on
  • ParisInFlamesParisInFlames Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Keith wrote:
    I haven't read this thread, but I picked up Volume 1 the other day. So far all I've read is the first two issues, but I like it so much I just ordered the next three trades off of Amazon.

My boss says the first volume's kind of slow, and the second one starts picking up, and that issue 50 is one of the best issues in comics ever. However, he's retarded, so I don't know if I can trust him.
    He may be retarded, but even retards can be right sometimes. And in this canse he's very right.

ParisInFlames on
    UnderwaterUmbrellaGirlwider.jpg
    Steam id: skoot LoL id: skoot
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2006
    Well I enjoyed volume 1. The denouement was a bit weakly paced, and the conclusion was "disappointing" but I still enjoyed it highly and look forward to the next three volumes coming in the mail.

Garlic Bread on
    edited August 2006
    Alright, I've read everything up to issue #50. That would've been a good ending to the series.

Garlic Bread on
  • GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Keith wrote:
    Alright, I've read everything up to issue #50. That would've been a good ending to the series.

I thought so too. Except for the whole Adversary thing.
    Also, I never saw your post above that and I have to agree. The first trade is really disappointing on the first read through. However, going back and rereading it after seeing everything that was set up in it makes it much more enjoyable.

God I love Fables.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
    edited August 2006
    Manifest wrote:
    Keith wrote:

I thought so too. Except for the whole Adversary thing.

Well, I mean, [spoiler:ec4d4eb40b]you could just assume the whole Israel thing either went on or the Adversary stopped.[/spoiler:ec4d4eb40b]

[spoiler:ec4d4eb40b]I also thought the whole Israel thing was fucking genious[/spoiler:ec4d4eb40b]

Garlic Bread on
  • TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2006
    Hmm, I really enjoyed the first arc. It hooked me pretty instantly way back when. It does a great job of introducing you to the characters and mechanics of Fabletown without feeling like a "color-by-numbers" listing or whatever. Having it begin with a murder mystery was fun, too. Especially with the misdirection by Bigby. Plus, you got the start of so many series-wide arcs here:

[spoiler:6a66171167]* The Snow/Red relationship
    * The Snow/Bigby relationship
    * The downfall of the Mayor and the rise of Prince Charming
    * The literal cost of magic in Fabletown[/spoiler:6a66171167]

And many more things I can't think of at the moment. The series has had the most consistently awesome run I can remember from any recent (2000 onwards) book.

Terrorbyte on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I just read the last castle again

it's so sad :(

Mai-Kero on
  • ThujoneThujone Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Yeah, I just recently have stumbled upon Fables, and I love it. I think it's great because it forced me to take interest in the original stories... As an adult I appreciate the symbolism and morbid nature of many of the fairy tales as well. Especially Bluebeard... yikes.

Speaking of screwed up fairy tales, has anyone ever read "The Girl who Trod on a Loaf?" She would make a great character for the series.

Thujone on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2006
    yeah guys, i burned through the first six trades in the past like three days

i really liked the adversary and the justification for it so far, even if it was blindingly obvious kind of

i think the dialogue tends to be kind of mediocre, but the idea behind the series and the way it plays out and all the character interactions are so solid that it makes up for it.

example

when bigby psyches bluebeard out and then you see bluebeard fucking crying about it

that was perfect

nothing else could have communicated that bigby was exactly right about bluebeard better than that

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited August 2006
    So, who's been reading Jack's spinoff title?

I picked up #2 today, and thus far it's pretty hot. We've got a third player in whole Fables/Adversay thing, Jack's being a kick-ass dickhead and let's not forget
    [spoiler:3f431be5b2]Goldilocks' ass[/spoiler:3f431be5b2]

Also: something occurred to me today. Fables are characters from stories, right? They exist because people read the stories, pass them on and believe in them, to a certain extent.

So, right now the Adversary is ploughing his way across Arabia, but how long until he hits some more modern stories? I mean, if all we're talking about is archetypal characters from commonly re-told stories, what's to stop Earth-616 being part of this storyland?

Also, it provides a neat, ultra-geeky rationalisation behind the (far too slow) tournament.

bobgorila on

Anally.
    edited August 2006
    bobgorila wrote:
    I mean, if all we're talking about is archetypal characters from commonly re-told stories, what's to stop Earth-616 being part of this storyland?

Good taste?

Garlic Bread on
    edited August 2006
    Keith wrote:
    bobgorila wrote:
    I mean, if all we're talking about is archetypal characters from commonly re-told stories, what's to stop Earth-616 being part of this storyland?

Good taste?

Ah yes, Vertigo writers still have that... for now.

bobgorila on

Anally.