As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Two interesting articles about Rockstar.

JastJast Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Games and Technology
The GTA thread is about the game, and these articles are more about Rockstar then anything else.

First One

Second One

Some text from the Wall Street Journal article.
The DNA of Rockstar traces to Mr. Houser, a British-born pop-culture aficionado. He remains close to his parents and to his brother Dan. Their father, Walter, is a lawyer who was part-owner of a well-known London nightclub, Ronnie Scott's, where young Sam met jazz legends. When trumpeter Dizzy Gillespie asked the boy what he wanted to be when he grew up, Mr. Houser says he replied, "a bank robber!"

In 1999, he established the Rockstar group at Take-Two. He modeled the unit, which he calls a "label," after DefJam records, the pioneering hip-hop record label that launched the careers of Run DMC and the Beastie Boys. He wanted the Rockstar brand to connote a certain coolness to consumers.

Both Houser brothers have strong tempers, people who have worked with them say. When game-industry publications give less-than-stellar ratings to Rockstar titles, say former employees, Sam has his staff to "go war" with offending publications to demand a better review or score.
The Housers became increasingly demanding. Gillian Telling, a former assistant to Dan, remembers being commanded to clean snow out of his home satellite dish. When she failed to bring in the right kind of bagel, she says he called her a “useless whore” and a “cunt.” Former employees say they routinely heard yelled insults and slammed telephones. “These people are insanely smart and really good at being mean,” says one. “They’re British.”

But, others argue, the tirades were part of the Housers’ overarching obsession with quality. “That’s the only reason the games are so good,” says former Rockstar producer Marc Fernandez. “It was the most exhilarating, impassioned place — they were totally committed to perfection. Imagine a company where 100 people felt like they were in the Beatles.”

As the success of San Andreas climaxed, so did the obsession with image control at the Rockstar loft. A former employee describes nights when top executives would sit at their computers, anxiously waiting for the reviews of their newest games to be posted online. An even slightly negative write-up would ignite “a shitstorm of … yelling and screaming.” The editor of one major videogame magazine describes the relationship with Rockstar as “a constant fight” because the company would jockey for

From the Wired article.

Interesting to learn more about the inner workins of the company.

Jast39.png
Jast on

• Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The best developers usually have legendary tempers.

Not that I think rockstar is all that and a bag of chips, but a red hot temper isn't that unheard of.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    BREAKING NEWS: Artists are passionate.

Full story at 11.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Rockstar acting like teenagers?
    Why does this not surprise me?

Xagarath on
  • Options
    CoreoCoreo Sydney AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Maybe Rockstar scared everyone into giving them a 10/10? It's an awesome game (I wish I had more time to play it), I am just saying that these articles imply that Rockstars' high scores were due to them being pushy.

Coreo on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Coreo wrote: »
    Maybe Rockstar scared everyone into giving them a 10/10? It's an awesome game (I wish I had more time to play it), I am just saying that these articles imply that Rockstars' high scores were due to them being pushy.

No, if that were the case, then DEREK SMART would have games getting perfect scores. Because DEREK SMART likes to get pissed as shit online when people criticise his games. DEREK SMART.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    No doubt Rockstar makes good games. GTA IV is great. But, you can be passionate about something you created without blowing your top at the smallest bit of criticism.

Jast on
    Jast39.png
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Coreo wrote: »

Yeah, that's actually what I found the most interesting in those two snippets. It sounds like Rockstar bullies their way into good reviews. That's pretty fucked up.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    CoreoCoreo Sydney AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    He has flawless desktop emulation skills, flawless.

Coreo on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    “These people are insanely smart and really good at being mean,” says one. “They’re British.”

Glad we're noted for something. D:

subedii on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    subedii wrote: »
    “These people are insanely smart and really good at being mean,” says one. “They’re British.”

Supervillany. Great.

I never new their dad co-owned Ronnie Scott's. That's pretty awesome.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Supervillany. Great.

Sean Bean really needs to be on the £ coin.

subedii on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Supervillany. Great.

Sean Bean really needs to be on the £ coin.

I would convert all my US bucks over if he was.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Maybe their obsession with peoples scores is why they make games that don't try anything too new and just give the people what they want.

Not a good thing in my opinion.

Snare on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Don't just read the snippets people! Read the whole thing, talks about Rockstar's history, how the first GTA game came about, everything.

Jast on
    Jast39.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Jast wrote: »
    Don't just read the snippets people! Read the whole thing, talks about Rockstar's history, how the firts GTA game came about, everything.

I already know rockstar's history pretty front and back.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Not that I think rockstar is all that and a bag of chips, but a red hot temper isn't that unheard of.

I dunno, Miyamoto seems like anything BUT hard to work with. I can't even imagine his face without him grinning to his ears. Will Wright seems consistently soft-mannered and nice.

I'll take the argument for people like Kojima, Molyneux or Tomonobu Itagaki though.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    SimBen wrote: »

I dunno, Miyamoto seems like anything BUT hard to work with. I can't even imagine his face without him grinning to his ears.

Time for me to shatter your world because the very person I had in mind when I typed that out was Miyamoto. He has one of the most intense tempers in gaming.

There are reports of him berating, and screaming at employees for hours on end.

Not to mention he's been an asshole in public before, most famously during his interview where he bashed Donkey Kong Country in front of the series director, saying that the game was proof that Americans are stupid and will play anything if it looks pretty, no matter how bad it was.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I dunno, Miyamoto seems like anything BUT hard to work with. I can't even imagine his face without him grinning to his ears. Will Wright seems consistently soft-mannered and nice.

I'll take the argument for people like Kojima, Molyneux or Tomonobu Itagaki though.

Miyamoto has been reported as difficult to please.

Especially from Retro, after he yelled at them for a few hours over Metroid Prime being awful and then cancelled their other 2 (original) games.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Also, Itagaki isn't supposed to have a temper so much as he is blunt. I love the guy, he's easily my second favorite person in gaming besides Yu Suzuki.

He won't cuss you out, scream at you, or otherwise lose his cool. He'll just flat out tell you 'this really sucks, do it again."

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Also, Itagaki isn't supposed to have a temper so much as he is blunt. I love the guy, he's easily my second favorite person in gaming besides Yu Suzuki.

He won't cuss you out, scream at you, or otherwise lose his cool. He'll just flat out tell you 'this really sucks, do it again."

Yeah, Itagaki is cool.

reVerse on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Especially from Retro, after he yelled at them for a few hours over Metroid Prime being awful and then cancelled their other 2 (original) games.

Recalled Pacini, "It was kind of disheartening, because we didn’t have anything to show, other than some concept art and our 3 -page design documents (Nintendo requires that you be able to explain your idea in 3 pages). And people were going in -- the RPG team, the football team -- and they were saying, 'he hates everything!'"

He added, "And when I went in as part of the car team, we were working on a kind of Twisted Metal game (it wasn’t my idea). And the first thing [Miyamoto] said was, ‘why would you put guns on cars? Don’t cars crash into each other? Isn’t that what they do?’"

"And I said, ‘I agree. I have no idea why we’re making this game,'" Concluded Pacini.

Joked Kelbaugh, “Well, in the end, you didn’t!”

“That’s true," Pacini concurred, "but I really remember speaking to one of the leads coming out of his meeting, the lead on the action-adventure concept, and he actually said, ‘Miyamoto doesn’t know what he’s talking about. He’s ridiculous.’"

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    One of my favorite facts about Itagaki is that he has a degree in Law. Not computer science, not communications, not film, not writing. Law. Absolutely nothing to do with gaming.

He became what he is today by sticking with Techmo through thick and thin, and scraping his way from the absolute bottom to the top.

He's living proof that diligence, and company loyalty can overcome anything.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Dude. Miyamoto knocks over tables.

Samphis on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    titmouse wrote: »

Recalled Pacini, "It was kind of disheartening, because we didn’t have anything to show, other than some concept art and our 3 -page design documents (Nintendo requires that you be able to explain your idea in 3 pages). And people were going in -- the RPG team, the football team -- and they were saying, 'he hates everything!'"

He added, "And when I went in as part of the car team, we were working on a kind of Twisted Metal game (it wasn’t my idea). And the first thing [Miyamoto] said was, ‘why would you put guns on cars? Don’t cars crash into each other? Isn’t that what they do?’"

"And I said, ‘I agree. I have no idea why we’re making this game,'" Concluded Pacini.

Joked Kelbaugh, “Well, in the end, you didn’t!”

“That’s true," Pacini concurred, "but I really remember speaking to one of the leads coming out of his meeting, the lead on the action-adventure concept, and he actually said, ‘Miyamoto doesn’t know what he’s talking about. He’s ridiculous.’"

Iwata says Miyamoto is scary, merciless
    Shigeru Miyamoto is not some lovable man-child! He used to smoke and gamble. And he gets pissed, man, he gets PISSED. Just listen to what Nintendo honcho Satoru Iwata has to say about him

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I dunno, Miyamoto seems like anything BUT hard to work with. I can't even imagine his face without him grinning to his ears.

Time for me to shatter your world because the very person I had in mind when I typed that out was Miyamoto. He has one of the most intense tempers in gaming.

Not to mention he's been an asshole in public before, most famously during his interview where he bashed Donkey Kong Country in front of the series director, saying that the game was proof that Americans are stupid and will play anything if it looks pretty, no matter how bad it was.

There's no way you can say something that intriguing and not link to it.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    One of my favorite quotes from a Yu Suzuki interview, which I cannot find at this moment, is "I demand perfection from my team, and I will get it at any costs."

In other words, don't fuck with him, he's a man with a vision.

I would pay so much money just to get to talk to him for an hour.

EDIT: The biggest influence in Itagaki's career has been Yu Suzuki, whom he has the utmost respect for.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    hahaha, Miyamoto is a huge dick.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    cloudeagle wrote: »

There's no way you can say something that intriguing and not link to it.

It was an interview in Gameplayers, I believe.

Wiki has an abridged version of the interview on the page for Donkey Kong Country:
    Nintendo producer Shigeru Miyamoto once criticized Donkey Kong Country, stating that "Donkey Kong Country proves that players will put up with mediocre gameplay as long as the art is good."

the actual interview was scathing. He basically ranted about America, and how bad Donkey Kong Country was. And the worst part - it was supposed to be a joint interview with him and Tim Stamper, the producer and director for DKC. Stamper was sitting right next to him the entire time, and didn't bat an eye. In true english gentlemen's tradition (he's the epitome of a UK developer) he kept quiet until Miyamoto had finished and simply said "I disagree."

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    D:

Shiggy... oh Shiggy. :(

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Now another dude who has a firey rage, but whom used it in the OPPOSITE direction to the point where it was detrimental to his company... Yuji Naka. Oh man, that guy's temper is INSANE.

And he's a horrible, horrible biggot. How that guy could keep a team together to create the games he did is beyond me, but he has an intense hate for Americans, and consistantly threatened sega over US involvement in his affairs.

He even made a point to fire every american who worked on Sonic 2 when he began Sonic 3... they were instead demoted to sonic spinball, and formed STI. And every level cut from Sonic 2... American developed. Not a single level designed by the japanese were cut from Sonic 2, but all the levels which were cut were by Americans (whom are still pretty bitter about it).

And, of course, most famously he killed Sonic Xtreme because he found out that Americans were using his NiGHTS engine. Yuji Naka is an asshole.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Now, that apple gaming thread makes me think of Steve Jobs, who is supposed to be one of the best bosses to work for. Not to say he's not incredibly demanding, but rather he's a giant hippy.

He demands perfection, and will tear a project down and force it to get rebuilt from the ground up... but he does it in a supremely laid back environment. Bean-bag chairs, no drug tests...

If there's one common theme, however, is that these developers, no matter what kind of personality they have, they all are not afraid to tell someone how to do their shit right.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Story of Shiggy being a bastard

Heh, makes me wonder what really happens every time he "upends the tea table."

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    You know who looks really cool to work with? John Carmack.

I'm not basing this on any anecdotal evidence, I'm just saying the guy looks like the kind of guy I'd love to have a beer with.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I'm not basing this on any anecdotal evidence, I'm just saying the guy looks like the kind of guy I'd love to have a beer with.

Behind those glasses is a monster, I'm sure.
    Nobody ever has that kind of ability and stays a normal human being.

l_g on
    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Yeah, and his wife would join too except she's not quite at the legal drinking age yet.

reVerse on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    See, Iwata is exactly the kind of guy you want as your boss. He won't berate you, he won't belittle you, and he won't coddle you. You mess up, he'll tell you you messed up. And that's that. You know you messed up, and you can fix it and move on. Hammering the point home that "YOU FAILED! YOU SUCK! WHY DO I PUT UP WITH YOU!" does not a healthy work environment make.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    He only planted that garden to cover the dead bodies.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    LukinLukin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    reVerse wrote: »

Yeah, and his wife would join too except she's not quite at the legal drinking age yet.

Aren't you thinking of Romero? He married a 15 year old Romanian girl or something.

Lukin on
    cancer.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Lukin wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »

Aren't you thinking of Romero? He married a 15 year old Romanian girl or something.

Right. I get my Doom guys mixed up. This is the second time I've embarassed myself with something Doom related this month.

reVerse on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    See, Iwata is exactly the kind of guy you want as your boss. He won't berate you, he won't belittle you, and he won't coddle you. You mess up, he'll tell you you messed up. And that's that. You know you messed up, and you can fix it and move on. Hammering the point home that "YOU FAILED! YOU SUCK! WHY DO I PUT UP WITH YOU!" does not a healthy work environment make.

I dunno, working for the man who made Mario is probably a good incentive to put up with it. I mean, there's a reason the games don't suck balls.

BlueDestiny on