As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[OP] Too Human...looks cool, no? [NSF56k]

DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomedCanadaRegistered User regular
edited June 2008 in Games and Technology
toohuman_wallpaper1_480_1146112334.jpg

Too Human (For Xbox 360)
So this game is the latest thing by Silicon Knights (BTW their web-site music is sweet), which brought us gamse like Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain, Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem and Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes

As it stands the game seems to be a cross between Diablo and Devil May Cry (Action-RPG). The control scheme seems to quite interesting, as they have compared it to Geometry Wars. Wheres the left-stick will control movement and the right-stick will control the direction in which you attack. Now this may seem to be quite simplistic but Denis Dyack (Creator) has said that advanced moves and skills will be used by other buttons and by the movement of the right control stick. Well I must say I like the sound of that.[/CENTER]

Release Date: August 12th 2008 as so nicely pointed out by The_Scarab, and a demo should be arriving on Xbox Live soon.

The information below has all been shamelessly stolen from Too Human Fan-site, Which is pretty cool, got most of my info there.

Short list of stuff the game has to offer for those of us to lazy to read or in a rush:
  • 2-Player Co-op over Xbox Live
  • 5 different playable classes, with unique skills trees
  • 2 Alignments, Human or Cybernetic. These give access to certain skills and traits
  • Level cap at 50
  • Lots of loots, with 6 different levels of rarities for items. (Loots whores rejoice!)
  • The game isn't completly static, i.e. Maps generate differently, as well as monster placement and puzzles. Much like Diablo
  • Classes all have skills trees that are highly customizable
  • Controls much like Geometry Wars (Explained Below in Control Scheme paragraph)

What type of game is Too Human?

Too Human is an action oriented role playing game that aims to combine the RPG depth of a game like Diablo with the fast paced action of a game like God of War, all the while maintaining the high quality of storytelling that has been found in all Silicon Knights titles.

What is the basic premise for Too Human’s storyline?

In the midst of a long forgotten futuristic past, the cybernetically enhanced god Baldur is charged with the protection of mankind as it faces the onslaught brought on by a force of giants, machines, and monsters. As he defends mankind from extinction, Baldur must decide if he is to continue to upgrade and alter his mind and body with cybernetic enhancements, or if the human characteristics that separate him from the machines he battles are assets in and of themselves. Other gods in the pantheon of Aesir view Baldur as being “Too Human.”

What are the five classes that will be available at launch?

The Champion - A warrior class focusing on caustic force fields and anti-gravity based attacks, the Champion is the master of aerial combat. Wielding one-handed swords, the Champion is able to deal out quick damage while using other skills to increase the combat effectiveness of his party members.

The Defender - Considered the tank class, the Defender is adorned with thick armor blessed by Odin and protected by ancient runes. While other party members deal out massive damage, the Defender absorbs enemy attacks while keeping attackers at bay with lengthy staffs and polearms.

The Commando - Using technological gadgetry and other means of indirect combat (mines and other counter measures, for example), the Commando is a support class in a group setting. Though most comfortable using long range rifles at a greater distance from combat, the Commando is also proficient using one handed hammers.

The Bioengineer - Known as the healer class, the Bioengineer focuses on repairing damage sustained on the battlefield using cybernetics. The Bioengineer wields dual sidearms and provides health bonuses for himself and his group.

The Berserker - The Berserker is a master of frantic close range combat. Dual wielding swords, the Berserker focuses on pure damage output while forsaking defensive stances. Supported by the Spirit of the Bear, the Berserker is most comfortable when battle is at its most chaotic.

Will there be item drops, equipment, and other types of loot available to customize my character?

Yes. Too Human will feature a robust and customizable item database that will offer hundreds of thousands of combinations for player characters to choose from. As with MMORPG’s, these will include rare drops and epic items. There are over a dozen weapons classes and hundreds of individual armor sets that will allow for further customization. Additional items, classes, and content are planned for release through XBox Live in the months following the game’s initial release.

What type of gameplay will Too Human offer?

Too Human will offer fast paced combat controlled primarily by the thumbsticks, using the face buttons of the XBox 360 controller for jumps, rolls, and certain special maneuvers. The left stick is used to control Baldur’s movements, while the right stick directs attacks. By pointing the right stick and holding it in a particular direction, the user initiates what equates to an “auto attack” button in a MMORPG. Keep holding the stick, and Baldur will continue to attack. Begin to use more complex movements with the stick, and Baldur will perform more complex melee attacks (e.g. double tapping upwards will knock an enemy into the air for an air-juggle maneuver).

Baldur will also be equipped with guns of varying types that are controlled with the right and left trigger. Pulling on either trigger will shift Baldur out of melee combat and seamlessly transition to gunplay. Pointing the right stick in any direction while pulling the triggers will direct this onslaught.

Baldur will also be equipped with special moves called “Ruiners” that are controlled by face buttons and bumpers.

The right-stick combat sounds too simple, too complex, boring, like another game that sucked, etc. Will it be good?

The easiest way to understand the most basic level of combat in Too Human is to think of Geometry Wars Advanced. When you point in a direction, your ship fires in that direction. The same thing happens with Baldur. Point towards your enemies, and he initiates an attack. The goal is to provide an easily accessible combat system that isn’t as initially daunting as a game like Ninja Gaiden or Devil May Cry, and one that will not physically wear down the player who chooses to dungeon crawl and hunt loot for hours on end. The added layer of complexity comes from the combinations and special attacks that are available through more complex movements of the thumbstick.

Will there be multiplayer gameplay?

Yes. Too Human is built with four player cooperative gameplay in mind. Players will be able to join up in parties of four via XBox Live to play through the game’s story while hunting for epic weapons and armor and other rare items.

The best part SCREENIES All spoiler'd for your enjoyment
928546_20060501_screen009.jpg
matt-blog-20070322111108251.jpg
too-human-20070124032712967.jpg
928546_20060509_screen008.jpg
toohuman200804291109575el7.jpg
toohuman200805081103263ny3.jpg

Skill Tree Pic:
toohuman200805121018354yi4.jpg

So I can't wait for this game, I don't know about you guys bit it looks pretty good from what I've seen and read. Also if someone tells me how to embed a video from GT or Youtube would you just be able to email. My first thread of this magnitude so hopefully there's some stuff here to help you guys. Just post a comment if I need to add something!

Also I suggest you guys take a look at the Too Human Wiki, as it shows a lot more info but I couldn't put it all on here about the alignments, skills trees, items, classes and some other stuff.

Dixon on

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Reserved for future info, screenies and video's

Dixon on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    FYI the release date is august 12th.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    blue on blue = lose

otherwise it looks kind of interesting, might have to pick it up...

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Yeah...I wasn't sure but i like the color I'll change it i guess...gah, Also I keep seeing august 19th as release date so I'm not sure...but I'll keep 12th up there for now

Dixon on
  • Options
    GiantRoboGiantRobo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Edit: i'm a tard, wrong game

GiantRobo on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I saw an interview on GameTrailers TV recently and it seemed...pretentious. I hope they don't hammer the themes into your brain to make sure you understand how "deep" it is.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    We have had this OP so many times now.

But yours is up there with the best of them, so I want it to stick around this time, damnit!

So, I'm pretty hyped for Too Human.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Is it just me or do the screens make this game look generic as all get-out?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I saw an interview on GameTrailers TV recently and it seemed...pretentious. I hope they don't hammer the themes into your brain to make sure you understand how "deep" it is.

What part exactly seemed pretentious? Genuinely curious here, since I hear this of Dyack (who I presume was the interviewee) sometimes, but don't quite see it myself.

edit: Correction, I do see it, I just don't believe it really has merit.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I just like how the combat seems to be deeper then most other hack n' slash games. The controls seems pretty neat to me how if you double tap the control stick in the direction you want to attack it will do a pop-up attack. I don't know that sorta thing seems pretty cool, I hope it's really fluid, I'm pretty excited for this game. I'm gonna go look for some skills tree pics or something or better in game pictures if I can get some. Where's a good place to host pics?

Dixon on
  • Options
    JelloblimpJelloblimp Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It's two player co-op not four (was said this week for the MS-day game thing). Demo should be out in july if they still stick to "demo one month before release".
    Then there is the path of choosing cybernetic or human, one plays more like a action fps while the other more on the rpg side (think it was explained on SK's ign blog not too long ago).

Jelloblimp on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Dixon wrote: »
    I just like how the combat seems to be deeper then most other hack n' slash games. The controls seems pretty neat to me how if you double tap the control stick in the direction you want to attack it will do a pop-up attack. I don't know that sorta thing seems pretty cool, I hope it's really fluid, I'm pretty excited for this game. I'm gonna go look for some skills tree pics or something or better in game pictures if I can get some. Where's a good place to host pics?

I use imageshack.us nigh-constantly. They rarely let me down.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008

What part exactly seemed pretentious? Genuinely curious here, since I hear this of Dyack (who I presume was the interviewee) sometimes, but don't quite see it myself.

It's kind of hard to explain, but I'll try.

During the interview, Dyack, without being asked, decided to point out why it was called 'Too Human' and how it explores the themes of machines and humanity and gods and junk

I don't know, it just annoys me because at every turn he seems to point that out

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Jelloblimp wrote: »
    It's two player co-op not four (was said this week for the MS-day game thing). Demo should be out in july if they still stick to "demo one month before release".
    Then there is the path of choosing cybernetic or human, one plays more like a action fps while the other more on the rpg side (think it was explained on SK's ign blog not too long ago).

Damn your right, oh that sucks. I typed most of this up a while ago, sorry bout that.

Dixon on
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

During the interview, Dyack, without being asked, decided to point out why it was called 'Too Human' and how it explores the themes of machines and humanity and gods and junk

I don't know, it just annoys me because at every turn he seems to point that out

How is discussing the core concept behind a game's story pretentious at all? That seems to be a fairly basic part of trying to generate pre-release hype.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    op = original poster. It seems kind of odd in the title.

stigweard on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    stigweard wrote: »
    op = original poster. It seems kind of odd in the title.

See...these are the things that are nice to point out to me...hmmmm so...yeah. Well thats ok I don't think anyone will get to mad :P

Dixon on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    The right-stick combat sounds too simple, too complex, boring, like another game that sucked, etc. Will it be good?

The easiest way to understand the most basic level of combat in Too Human is to think of Geometry Wars Advanced. When you point in a direction, your ship fires in that direction. The same thing happens with Baldur. Point towards your enemies, and he initiates an attack. The goal is to provide an easily accessible combat system that isn’t as initially daunting as a game like Ninja Gaiden or Devil May Cry, and one that will not physically wear down the player who chooses to dungeon crawl and hunt loot for hours on end. The added layer of complexity comes from the combinations and special attacks that are available through more complex movements of the thumbstick.

I have to say, this is a really good explanation for the right-stick combat. This has always been one of those things that bugged me about Too Human (in addition to some of the horribad animations in some of the gameplay/cutscene videos, but even that's looking better with more recent videos). I never really looked at it like that before. I guess I'm back to being excited :D

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Evangir wrote: »

How is discussing the core concept behind a game's story pretentious at all? That seems to be a fairly basic part of trying to generate pre-release hype.

The core concept is Baldur tearing up some shit for whatever reason

The themes that aren't apparent on the surface are not

But he seems to lack subtlety

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008

The core concept is Baldur tearing up some shit for whatever reason

The themes that aren't apparent on the surface are not

But he seems to lack subtlety

That's the core of the gameplay, not the story. And Dyack is a salesman when he does interviews. Period. Why would be be subtle?

Evangir on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I have to say, this is a really good explanation for the right-stick combat. This has always been one of those things that bugged me about Too Human (in addition to some of the horribad animations in some of the gameplay/cutscene videos, but even that's looking better with more recent videos). I never really looked at it like that before. I guess I'm back to being excited :D
    Uhh the entire point behind these two games is the indepth fighting system. They aren't dungeon crawlers. Hell Dynasty Warriors has a simple combat system that doesn't "wear down" the player but that doesn't make it great..

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    A raptor!A raptor! Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, I'm still not too sure about the combat system, I'm not exactly worn out after playing a session of Ninja Gaiden, it's not exactly exhausting. Seems to me that a more simplistic combat system runs the much greater risk of making those looting sessions incrediblky boring. I'll have to wait for the demo to see how it plays out.

On a side note, the more I think about it the more I wish Team Ninja would make a Diablo-style game with Ninja Gaiden's fighting system. Shit, I'd play that forever.

A raptor! on
    StrummerJoe.png1.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    The last screen shot is a pic of a branch of the skill tree, the second last pic has the HUD in it which i like

Dixon on
  • Options
    ElGamalElGamal __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    God, it's just way too generic. I look at these screenshots and there is nothing that really captures the unique identity of the game.

ElGamal on
  • Options
    GiantRoboGiantRobo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    They all look like Warhammer models to me.

GiantRobo on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    ElGamal wrote: »
    God, it's just way too generic. I look at these screenshots and there is nothing that really captures the unique identity of the game.

It's absolutely remarkable too. I mean you can't get more original then a techno-organic take on norse mythology but some how they still manage make something this cool sounding be totally generic.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I am very excited for this game.

I knew very little about it, but recently found out it's PSO-like, with online co-op, phat loot, skill trees, et cetera.

Awesome.

Well, I guess PSO-like might be a bit of a stretch.

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    kriegskriegs Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    A raptor! wrote: »
    On a side note, the more I think about it the more I wish Team Ninja would make a Diablo-style game with Ninja Gaiden's fighting system. Shit, I'd play that forever.

No kidding. If I had a soul, I'd let them have it at that point. I personally like DMC's combat a bit more than NG's, but I'd take either.

The day they make DMC multiplayer co-op, I will buy whatever system it is on that very day.

kriegs on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    kriegs wrote: »
    A raptor! wrote: »

No kidding. If I had a soul, I'd let them have it at that point. I personally like DMC's combat a bit more than NG's, but I'd take either.

The day they make DMC multiplayer co-op, I will buy whatever system it is on that very day.

Man online DMC coop would be godly. Juggling enemies back and forth between people? So much potential.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I have to say that the intelligent inventory system appeals to me. A lot.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Sounds fantastic on paper, but the actual execution looks so dull. Those silicon knights guys must be really talented to make Norse Mythology with a techno futuristic spin and make it look completely boring, it's quite an extraordinary skill.

I'm sure everyone's first reaction to "Techno Futuristic Norse Mythology" is Bald Space Marine guy vs Robots in brown land :| Although to be fair, Baldur is less of the generic Bald Space Marine and more of the Unreal Tournament Bald Space Warrior guy. He'd fit right into UT3. Which is rather Ironic given the falling out between Epic and SK.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    The environments actually look great and have an interesting atmosphere, if a bit brown.

But... yeah, I have to say, the character designs are depressingly generic. There's no unique stylisation there, which is a bit of a missed opportunity.

edit: You put your finger right on it, SPI. I couldn't figure out for the longest time what their over-muscled, meaty genericism and glowy effects reminded me of - it's UT.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I could care less if the character design is generic, I just want to go around slashing or shooting up bitches on the comfort of my couch and with friends online.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    StonecutterStonecutter Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I'm going to preface my statements by saying that I am an absolute whore for this game, so I'm not exactly looking at this with the most critical eye, but consider this for combat. The game is trying to be a diablo 2 style dungeon crawler:

You look at Diablo 2, that game could basically be played with 4 buttons

Attack
    Special/spell
    Health Potion key
    Mana potion key

Granted, there were 4 belt slots, not two, you had to run, you had to switch skills, you could tab to adjust the map, highlight loot, etc, but on it's most basic level, 4 buttons. I haven't seen what the exact controller map looks like, but for a pure dungeon crawl, I don't think taking away the "clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclick" system and replacing it with dual stick control is all that bad of an option. I'm sure there's going to be some type of skill mapping, maybe a button press for your skill/special attack and then maybe a seondary special and a potion/med kit/health button.

It would still be cool if there was an option for a full out fighting system, Ninja Gaiden with guns, essentially, but I still like what they're doing with Too Human.

Stonecutter on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Is it... Is it too much to hope they'll redo all the animation between now and August? It still looks really awkward in motion, and I'd hate to have to call Dyack a hypocrite for all his talk about every aspect of a game needing equal amounts of polish.

Aside from that, I continue to be interested. I loves me some Diablo and DMC even though I know it won't be quite as action-heavy as I'd prefer.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I'm sure there's going to be some type of skill mapping, maybe a button press for your skill/special attack and then maybe a seondary special and a potion/med kit/health button.

Sure is. You can see it in this video;

Skill Tree Video

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I thought the graphics looked nice enough in motion - much better than the screenshots.

But I hope the Champion isn't representative of the classes - lots of buffing and procs. I just find those kind of 'powers' very very dull. I want something to do - an active power of some kind.

If you look at Diablo 2's skill tree, most of the skills are active. That's something that goes well with an ultra-easy combat interface. Not buffs and procs.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Dashui wrote: »
    I could care less if the character design is generic, I just want to go around slashing or shooting up bitches on the comfort of my couch and with friend online.
    fixed.
    I couldn't help but take a jab, but all 4 player co op bitching aside, I want to purchase this game on day one.
    But, knowing theres a good chance I will end up being dissapointed, I am going to let everyone sit on it for a week or two before I decide on picking it up. I still have high hopes for this game. This game will be good.
    Or maybe I just want it to be good.

Smashism on
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Is the coop available on a single box? I would love to be able to pick it up and be able to play through with my brother without having to get two copies.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, that's what I want to know as well. Especially since they tuned down co-op from 4 to 2, there's no way I'm buying it if we can't play splitscreen or whatever.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.