As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[AOC] Soldiers: doing face transplants with axes

2»

• Options
    encloserencloser Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I haven't had many opportunities to tank on my Guardian and I am having a hard time find much information on good techniques. I was in a group last night doing the Ymir quests and finally got a good chance to play with getting and maintaining aggro. It was really easy to tank if I got the first couple hits on a mob before anyone else did anything, but trying to get an accidentally aggroed mob off the priest spamming heals was a pain in the ass. If I got on the mob very quick, had a ton of stamina to dump, and hit in unguarded directions I had a chance of pulling it off. Not great, but a chance. It worked once or twice out of many times that we got extra mobs on us. The PoM often tanking extra mobs with him and the bear shaman spamming heals and everyone burning it down.

Is there much information on how threat/hate works in AoC yet?

encloser on
    EVE: Zane Rayez; CoX: Encloser;
    TF2/ETQW: [e]Encloser;
    encloser.png
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I can't imagine a Talisman that would be better than a shield for a tank class, unless it added a whole bunch of damage or something.

My DT is still pretty low level (17, finished all the Destiny quests except the Last Battle), but what I started doing was using Frenzy stance, and counting on my armor+shield+drain healing to keep me up. I'm not entirely sold on this strategy yet, but it definately has sped up the battles quite a bit, which is what I was looking for.

I can tell you now, as a lvl 42 DT that frenzy stance is "please rape me in two hits stance." Its not very practical unless you have a healer and even then you'll still die quite a bit. If I want to do damage I just don't use a stance then if I'm taking a beating I switch to defensive and wait for a heal before switching out or if I don't have a healer I just stay in defensive stance until the fight is over (about 2 hours in defensive stance). In other words, your leach life and other life leaching skills do not make up for the damage mitigation of your armor (which frenzy stances kills).

Apparently the PvP-ing Dark Templars like stance dancing into Frenzy right before unloading a heavy-hitting combo and then popping back into Neutral or Defensive, but in PvE the only benefit I've seen is when I was finishing up some out-leveled green quests and the loss of damage mitigation didn't heavily outweigh the rather noticeable spike in damage output.

Hey, as another level 42 DT, what feat spec are you going for?

Lawndart on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I tried dual-weilding as a conqueror. I did not like it, Sam I Am. Basically you get some really week bleed effects and one combo that increases invulnerabilities for teammates. At the same time, your offhand weapon only hits once every eight attack for some reason and the speed of your attack isn't increased nearly enough to offset the loss of damage. Also I missed Batter Aside and I REALLY missed Lumbering Hulk. I cannot wait to be standing on the front lines in siege warfare, especially on defense. I really like the idea of a bunch of guys rushing into the hole in the wall only to meet the horn of my Rhino and the tip of my sword.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    There is a feat in the general soldier talent tree that decreases the defensive penalty of frenzy stance. You'll need at least 15 point in the general tree and level 25 to get to it. I don't know how much it does though.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Another example of how they need to put the numbers in. That's 20 possibly wasted points if it turns out to lessen the penalties to 75% instead of 100%, or it could be ungodly well spent if it brings it down to 0%.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I believe its 10% per point

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So I got my Dark Templar out of Tortage last night, finishing all the daytime quests and finally going through the Final Battle. At the end of this whole thing, the old dude from the beginning gives you a gift and sends you off towards your homeland.

So what special gift did my evil tankey paladin get?

An off-hand book...? O_o

:(

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Wren wrote: »

So does that mean Frenzy stance takes away 50% of your invulnerability in each level, or does it mean you have a -50% invulnerability debuff? (My slashing is only like 15% at this point, so it would still be useless)

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Wren wrote: »

So does that mean Frenzy stance takes away 50% of your invulnerability in each level, or does it mean you have a -50% invulnerability debuff? (My slashing is only like 15% at this point, so it would still be useless)

it means you get a -70% debuff. 10x3=30

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I started a Guardian and I'm getting him out of Tortage, and holy fuck, this class is awesome. I can't wait to get a rockin polearm.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Hmm... not so much, then.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, so um, my bad guys.

I got bored with the PVE server stuck at 45 waiting 30 minutes for quest mobs to repop (they fixed that now I think?)

anyways i made a hox on stormrage pvp lvl 25 and i like getting fatalities on other players:

QUESTION: Do they see themselves getting fatalitied? I'm decent enough to get out of comabt and hide before I die so I doubt I've been fatalatied yet (im like 95 kills and 22 deaths)

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yes. Yes they do. It's awesome when it happens to you and you see your own head fly off.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I got burned to a crisp by a demo loc- er, um, demonolgist that was 20 levels higher than me. ... while fighting 3 mobs that were 2 levels higher than me.

i dont like being fatalatied.

cant i be like, friendshipped instead?
    "LIU KANG GIVES U A CAKE"
    "Flawless Victory!"

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    not crazy about the DT so far :( only level 9 though, but I just don't kill things fast enough nor do I feel like I have much utility...

I must be the only person who isn't in love with AoC's melee system... I have the most fun on my durn Necromancer than anything else.

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Only in AoC you have

"GORGRIDIMM GIVES U A TASTY EEL PIE"
    "You are still ganked by somebody else"

I am back to 2h spec on my Conqueror. SOO much more efficient with the face crushing.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    AldarezAldarez Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    not crazy about the DT so far :( only level 9 though, but I just don't kill things fast enough nor do I feel like I have much utility...

I must be the only person who isn't in love with AoC's melee system... I have the most fun on my durn Necromancer than anything else.

I think the DT is one of the game's many cases of a class that starts off a bit shaky and starts to stabilize as you approach the 20's. You certainly won't do bursty damage like a caster at any point (at least I haven't seen any, highest DT is 30 so far), but once you start picking up your buff abilities and a few feats you can get some pretty nice life-leeching happening. At 30 with Curse of Gwahlur maxed I was taking on 3-5 even level mobs without much difficulty.

Aldarez on
    2188939-1.png
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm playing the hell out of my Guardian. They're pretty damn fun, and easily handling the Conarch Valley quests.

(also, by the way, if you haven't played a melee character with Holy Diver blaring in the background you should)

I keep my combos lined up a tray according to what direction I first have to hit in with them.

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Aldarez wrote: »

I think the DT is one of the game's many cases of a class that starts off a bit shaky and starts to stabilize as you approach the 20's. You certainly won't do bursty damage like a caster at any point (at least I haven't seen any, highest DT is 30 so far), but once you start picking up your buff abilities and a few feats you can get some pretty nice life-leeching happening. At 30 with Curse of Gwahlur maxed I was taking on 3-5 even level mobs without much difficulty.

that definitely sounds promising :> I know instinctively that I shouldn't base my opinion on a class before getting to at least 20 but I was just getting bored of those lower levels -_-

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So I'm loving my Guardian, going down the juggernaut tree. I find that I'm quick to die once I go out of defensive stance/maneuver, though. But when I'm in them, I'm pretty much a wall, and my DPS is still decent.

I just got out of Tortage, so I'm still figuring out the game, but are Slam and Sweep really useless? Should I just remove them?

I find the abilities to be pretty confusing in general. Enraging Strike and Brutal Enraging Strike attack in two different directions, so I'm keeping them both on the bar, but there doesn't seem to be any difference between Enraging Wound and Brutal Enraging Wound.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    MaverikVMaverikV Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I was so excited about this game, but I don;t have the willpower to get myself to 20 and I'm bored to tears of tortage. I think I'm just going to sell it and wash my hands. Is it really cool after tortage, or should I just try to get $25 back out of it and return to my miserable existence?

MaverikV on
    I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule.
  • Options
    BlakbeanieBlakbeanie Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The game improves signifigantly post-Tortage. The landscapes are lush and varied. My fave is Cimmeria - big snowy mountains with much questing in the valleys.

Blakbeanie on
    soldersig.jpg
  • Options
    Trevor GoodchildTrevor Goodchild Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If he can't find the willpower to get himself to 20 (that's very little playtime) then the game just obviously isn't clicking for him.

Trevor Goodchild on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Maybe we should make that thread title a little clearer, eh?

Aldarez on
    2188939-1.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Blakbeanie wrote: »
    The game improves signifigantly post-Tortage. The landscapes are lush and varied. My fave is Cimmeria - big snowy mountains with much questing in the valleys.

until you hit the moutains D:

just hit 54 on my tempest guardian, just got skewer. good times. instant attack for lots of damage in a direction I don't usually have covered. only downside is that it has a 60 second cooldown. or 54 seconds with that one feat, not sure if it works with it.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Personally I think the game declines after Tortage. It becomes far less focused, involves tons of running around for not a lot of reward, and the gathering professions are just... wow, mind-numbing.

I think if the game started with those kinda lame quests and then involved into a Tortage storyline, it would have gone a lot better.

I really want to try and press on with my Conqueror because it's an awesome class and I really love my big brute, but god... the quests.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    CrovaxanCrovaxan Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    so i was just runnin thru cimmeria doin some quests when i stopped for this great view over looking the valley and the rivers. So i stop turn of the HUD and get ready to take a picture when BAM some lvl 8billion runs by and stabs my face. :( couldnt turn the HUD back on so i had to alt f4

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
    Crovax.436 Steam: Crovaxan
  • Options
    precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Best part of being a guardian is you ability to not die when you get jumped by someone. I was a lvl 23 guardian and a lvl 32 guardian jumped me.

I just started running around, him chasing me. Then I found this rock in connals valley and proceeded to just run in circles around it, gathering all the wargs in the area, after about 5 minutes of him waiting for me to pass him around the rock or him chasing me, he got pissed enough to start attacking the 3 wargs that were beating on him and gave up on me.

Good times.

precisionk on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Sweep and slam are abilities that everyone gets. Slam becomes utterly worthless at level seven, and sweep becomes worthless at eight. They will never get better, they will never do more damage, just pull them off your action bar, drop them into the sea, and forget about them completely. You have more interesting ways of crushing skulls anyway.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Conqueror question: Has anyone tried a +firedamage weapon with the fiery aura? Does it improve your damage? in theory it seems like it would if the vuln procs on monsters (which it seems too alot for me)

Just curious before I drop some coinage in the trader.

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    iSnortRitaliniSnortRitalin Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    precisionk wrote: »
    Best part of being a guardian is you ability to not die when you get jumped by someone. I was a lvl 23 guardian and a lvl 32 guardian jumped me.

I just started running around, him chasing me. Then I found this rock in connals valley and proceeded to just run in circles around it, gathering all the wargs in the area, after about 5 minutes of him waiting for me to pass him around the rock or him chasing me, he got pissed enough to start attacking the 3 wargs that were beating on him and gave up on me.

Good times.

HAHA. nice.. Same kind of thing happened with me. My 22 Guardian got jumped by a 27 DT and a ranger... I found a rock to break LoS... and thought "I'm going to die anyway.. I'll try to take the DT out with me".. I killed the DT quicker than I thought! circled around the rock to let my health regen to 1/4 and then took out the ranger(forget what lvl) with a bare sliver of health left. I felt like doing a goddam /chestpound in RL.... awesome

iSnortRitalin on
    "I feel like a cranky old man, just bringing this up, but there's alot of you here... so would you do me a favor? When you're playing online.. Have fun.. but don't be a dick, ok?" -Wil Wheaton PAX 2007

LOTRO - Main: Mikkyo, Elf Hunter
    Alt: Raahl, Human Warden
    WOW - Main: Trulku (retired)
    AOC - Retired.. what a let down....
    SWTOR - can't fu*kin wait!!
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    man I just got level 56 on my guardian and the newest rank of arcing flash is rape. crits and I can one shot an even level mob.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Conqueror question: Has anyone tried a +firedamage weapon with the fiery aura? Does it improve your damage? in theory it seems like it would if the vuln procs on monsters (which it seems too alot for me)

Just curious before I drop some coinage in the trader.

I don't think so. I didn't notice any extra Fire Weave damage using the firey 2-hander from Black Pyramid.

zilo on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Back on the guardian train! Choo choo!

Polearms were fun, I did it around level 40, but missed the ability to wade into an entire camp of non-caster mobs and proceed to ... i dont know, kill them all without dying?

:D

51 now, trying to do cistern/main, but my god does that stupid place need to be instanced to each group!!!!

every time i go down there, there's like 5 groups at once and shit just gets ugly.

Anyone know whether or not you can complete quests while in a raid?

eatmosushi on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2008
    shameless bump

27 on my Brute Conqueror. Having fun reaping Vanir like weeds.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    What I've learned this week: Used in the right circumstances, Frenzy Stance is so awesome.

I've a bad habit of getting into a particular routine and not really exploring other options. After constantly finding myself in 3-4 mob fights around Tortage, I'd been using defensive stance pretty much exclusively and never bothered trying frenzy after reading reports that it makes one rather squishy. The reports are true, but on single pulls or multis where the mobs are a little below you, the damage boost means you rip through stuff so fast the defense reduction isn't really noticable. Enjoying my Templar a lot more now.

Aldarez on
    2188939-1.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2008
    Hell yeah. When I'm three levels above I tear through 3-4 guys in five seconds in frenzy stance.

Echo on
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    As a Guardian, it can be kind of embarassing when another player asks you to kill him/her and you forget to go into frenzy. Note that I'm not saying Guardians suck or anything (quite the opposite); in that situation you aren't trying to outlast the other person, you're trying to get the job done as quickly as possible.

BionicPenguin on