Options

Evil will triumph because good is dumb!

electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
What makes a compelling bad guy?

Perhaps "bad" is the wrong word to use - a compelling antagonist. In recent years I tend find myself often hoping that somehow the bad guy of a piece will get to put his plan into action, just because I want to see what it was and what they would do afterwards.

Basically what I'm wondering is, what sorts of opposing forces are interesting to watch? What are some examples of villains or antagonists who actually had interesting ideologies, or at least didn't make the reason the "good guys" should win so obvious?

electricitylikesme on

• Options
    ChurchChurch Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    From Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory:
    Admiral Otomo and Douglas Shetland. Otomo wanted to re-militarise Japan, not necessarily to conquer, but to bring it back to its former glory, so to speak. He didn't want his country to be at the mercy of others. Shetland wanted to tear down the American government and rebuild it, because he lost his career--for no reason other than his higher-ups' need for a scapegoat--due to its corruption, and believed that the corruption could only be repaired by starting over.

I almost want to say Emile from Double Agent, but he was just such a tosser.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    watchmen.jpg

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    watchmen.jpg
    Ozymandias isn't really a villain, he's just abdsurdly utilitarian. He's a great character, but not a bad guy.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    My favorite antagonist archetype is the otherwise good person that gets corrupted, mislead, or just plain loses it in the course of some nearly hopeless endeavor. I hate to bring a Batman villain into this, but Mr. Freeze is an example of what I'm talking about. Ally with the wrong side as a means to an end, and but heads with the protagonist.

That, and the Big Brother style of antagonist is fun to me too.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Might be nice to spoiler that for people that haven't read it, Hawk.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I consider him a bad guy.

You don't.

That's why I think he makes a great villain.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    My favorite antagonist archetype is the otherwise good person that gets corrupted, mislead, or just plain loses it in the course of some nearly hopeless endeavor. I hate to bring a Batman villain into this, but Mr. Freeze is an example of what I'm talking about. Ally with the wrong side as a means to an end, and but heads with the protagonist.

Isn't that called a "tragic hero"?

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Mr. Freeze is a villain, Church.

While he may be trying to save his wife or someshit, he kills and robs people.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Church wrote: »

Isn't that called a "tragic hero"?

A tragic hero is still a protagonist. Flawed, but ultimately good. The whole Greek thing. I guess this would be the tragic antagonist. Somebody that's ultimately good, but does bad things as a means to an end. Do they pay for their crimes, or are their aspirations noble enough to warrant at least some kind of a pass?

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    watchmen.jpg
    Not compelling because you don't know who it is until so close to the end so no.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    If they are truly noble, they accept what due process declares their crimes warrant because that is for the greater good.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Dead, I disagree, if only for the fact that there is a huge debate among fans of the book as to whether or not the villian is actually a villian.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Jason ToddJason Todd Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    A compelling villain does terrible things for understandable, even sympathetic reasons.

Sauron, to me, isn't compelling because the only reason he wants to conquer the world is because he's evil.

An example of a more compelling villain (really a family of villains) would be the Lannisters from The Song of Ice and Fire. To be non-spoilery, every evil act they take boils down to protecting their family and the ones they love. Yes, they go to extremes in order to seize power, but they (especially Tyrion) are all extremely loyal to their family. That's sympathetic and compelling.
    "The things I do for love."

Jason Todd on
    filefile.jpg
  • Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I think that in order to be a good villain, the antagonist needs to be disassociated from reality. They shouldn't be completely loopy, but just have a world view that is ever so slightly skewed so that even though they don't see reality, you can almost follow their logic.
    A good villain should be relentless and ruthless. Willing to do whatever is necessary, and never give up. It builds suspense.
    A good villain should look good in a pant suits. Sometimes dresses if visiting Hawaii.

zerg rush on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    If they are truly noble, they accept what due process declares their crimes warrant because that is for the greater good.

Uhh... no? The idea is that they don't care what gets in their way as long as they get what they are after, and that society ultimately "doesn't understand" or something like that. Maybe they don't think what they're doing is necessarily wrong, or maybe they think what they're after outweighs whatever wrong they do. I mean, what you said could be a trait, and maybe they attain their goal and then face the consequences of their actions, but it's obvious that they're not "truly noble," whatever that might mean, because they're doing bad things to begin with.

I like it because it creates conflicted characters, and being sympathetic towards the antagonist is a draw for me. It might make you feel bad if they get punished.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Humbert Humbert is probably my favorite villian. He's basically the opposite of the tragic hero: completely and undieniably a total monster, but seductive and intelligent enough that you almost believe he has some sort of rationale and might really be a good person.

But nope, he's just evil.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    zerg rush wrote: »
    A good villain should also wear pant suits. Sometimes dresses if visiting Hawaii.
    dukeNukem.gif

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Humbert Humbert was the protagonist.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hesthefastesthesthefastest Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm not sure I fully agree with putting anyone from Watchmen in a list of villains. They're all deeply flawed real people, though as far as I'm concerned 'that character' can burn in hell.

Also, I submit to you Dexter.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dexter_Morgan

hesthefastest on
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, a good villain is essentially a monstrous fuck who's compellingly evil. Doctor Doom is a good example.

On the other hand, good villains with sympathetic traits can also be good, but only if some fundamental core belief of there's is flawed within that story's moral structure. I like Gaara from Naruto as an example here.

and of course, redeemed villains make the COOLEST heroes.

Greeper on
  • Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I like how Kefka was able to destroy the world and become god-emperor for a while.

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Dexter is a vigilante, not a villain.

The people he hurts are all evil people.

The dude from Watchmen
    kill thousands of innocent people
    and I don't care what you guys say, he is and will always be a villian in my eyes.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    I Am Not A BearI Am Not A Bear Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Do you guys consider the character of Travis Bickle from Taxi Driver as a villain or antagonist? Probably more of a tragic villain.

One of my favourite movie characters for sure.

I Am Not A Bear on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Yeah, but he's still a vain, cruel wretch. Just because he's the narrator it doesn't mean he's not a villain.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    watchmen.jpg
    Ozymandias isn't really a villain, he's just abdsurdly utilitarian. He's a great character, but not a bad guy.

Of course, you should probably put the name in the spoiler too...

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    John Doe from Seven. He's so completely convinced he's right; his plan is so masterful; ultimately blind to the fact that no one cares.

God, Kevin Spacey, you do a damn good job at playing evil.

Edit:

Also, Benjamin Linus. He isn't a villain, so to speak, but damnit if he sometimes makes you think he is. That is a good villain.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Greeper wrote: »

and of course, redeemed villains make the COOLEST heroes.

Agreed. Darth Vader is a good example of this.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

The dude from Watchmen
    and I don't care what you guys say, he is and will always be a villian in my eyes.

Dexter is only a vigilante tangentially. He has a deep need to murder people and chop them up, doing it to evil people was only thrown in by Harry.

hesthefastest on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    My favourite thing about Doctor Doom is that when he did take over the world, he turned it into a utopia, then got bored

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

The dude from Watchmen

Dexter is only a vigilante tangentially. He has a deep need to murder people and chop them up, doing it to evil people was only thrown in by Harry.

So he was supposed to grow up to be a villain, but was turned into a hero instead, through training and self discipline.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008

The dude from Watchmen

Having the need to kill people and using it only on those deserving it isn't a great deal different from having the tools to kill and only using them on those deserving.

Actually, it is, because by nature of it being a "need" it's something he is compelled to do.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Dexter is evil - he loves torturing and chopping people up.

Evil people torturing and killing another evil person doesn't make it good - what happens if he runs out of evil people?

Luckily, that will never happen. :)

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Yeah, but he's still a vain, cruel wretch. Just because he's the narrator it doesn't mean he's not a villain.

He was astoundingly shallow and selfish, but I wouldn't call him a villain. All the things you attribute to him are fine, but... well, does there have to be a hero for there to be a villain? Hell, even Dolores was a manipulative little cunt most of the time. I'd say there just wasn't a villain.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

The dude from Watchmen

Having the need to kill people and using it only on those deserving it isn't a great deal different from having the tools to kill and only using them on those deserving.

Actually, it is, because by nature of it being a "need" it's something he is compelled to do.

It comes down to motives, and its why I think Dexter is such an interesting character (and villain). He is a complete sociopath, empty of feeling with a innate need to commit horrible murders, but he has been crafted into an 'avenging angel'. Perhaps a bit of the redeemed villain theme.

hesthefastest on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    The thing is, he loves Rita.

Meaning he isn't a complete sociopath.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

Protagonist/Antagonist has nothing to do with Hero or Villain status. It's late, so the only example I can think of is Light from Death Note as a Protagonist Villain.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008

How do you know? He certainly pretends to love her but he always says he is incapable of loving anyone.
    He didn't kill Deb only because he is 'fond of her'.

hesthefastest on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

How do you know? He certainly pretends to love her but he always says he is incapable of loving anyone.

He said that, but I don't think he would ever kill Deb or Rita. Why do you think he went back to her? Just because Lila was a crazy bitch?

He missed her and the kids.

I think most sociopaths are born that way, Dexter was made into one through trauma. He is slowly becoming a normal dude.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    What makes a compelling bad guy?

Perhaps "bad" is the wrong word to use - a compelling antagonist. In recent years I tend find myself often hoping that somehow the bad guy of a piece will get to put his plan into action, just because I want to see what it was and what they would do afterwards.

Basically what I'm wondering is, what sorts of opposing forces are interesting to watch? What are some examples of villains or antagonists who actually had interesting ideologies, or at least didn't make the reason the "good guys" should win so obvious?

Artemis Entreri.

As an assassin who leads an empty life without any emotions, his ideology was that the reason he was the best fighter (that he knew) was because he had given up on other kinds of pursuits like feelings and friendship and hobbies and instead developed his fighting talents.

So when he faces Drizzt he sees someone who is equal to him in fighting skills and still has the time and mental energy to develop friendships and care for others. This is the reason behind his strong rivalry with Drizzt; to admit that they're equal would admit that Artemis wasted his life, so he tries over and over to prove that he's the better fighter.

For this reason, Entreri is one of the best developed antagonists in the fantasy universe, in my opinion.

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

He said that, but I don't think he would ever kill Deb or Rita. Why do you think he went back to her? Just because Lila was a crazy bitch?

He missed her and the kids.

I think most sociopaths are born that way, Dexter was made into one through trauma. He is slowly becoming a normal dude.

God, I hope not. D:

hesthefastest on