As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hellgate: London † Time to learn Korean?

• Options
    FieryBalrogFieryBalrog Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm not subscribed- oh, God no- but its a move that smacks of greed and incompetence up to the very end. Regardless of what 3rd party measures you can use to fight it, its really slimy, and given a long history of this sort of thing (billing people daily or multiple times when the game came out, broken game, broken content for subcribers, incompetent management) it is really rather hard to do anything but call out a turd as a turd.

FieryBalrog on
    In Koprulu Sector, marines micro YOU!
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm not subscribed- oh, God no- but its a move that smacks of greed and incompetence up to the very end. Regardless of what 3rd party measures you can use to fight it, its really slimy.

Or they may just have shut off all subscriptions, thus eliminating the need for a subscribe/unsubscribe page.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2008
    Possible. My buddy that I'm playing with just noticed that his legendary sword says "Subscriber only", yet he can still use it.

Echo on
  • Options
    FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    Possible. My buddy that I'm playing with just noticed that his legendary sword says "Subscriber only", yet he can still use it.

Hmmm. I'm hoping this is indeed the case. If so, I also hope they automatically cut the charges.

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    delroland wrote: »
    I'm not subscribed- oh, God no- but its a move that smacks of greed and incompetence up to the very end. Regardless of what 3rd party measures you can use to fight it, its really slimy.

Or they may just have shut off all subscriptions, thus eliminating the need for a subscribe/unsubscribe page.

Then you have the subscribe/unsubscribe button link to a webpage saying the subscription system is shut down- how long does that take to put that up? At least as long as hiding the button. This is supposed to be a professional company, not amateur hour.

Either incompetence or greed, take your pick.

FieryBalrog on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Then you have the subscribe/unsubscribe button link to a webpage saying the subscription system is shut down- how long does that take to put that up? At least as long as hiding the button. This is supposed to be a professional company, not amateur hour.

In other news, the sky is falling and we are all going to die.

Overdramatic, much?

delroland on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Funny, we've seen two ex blizzard startups in the last few years, one of them created Hellgate, the other Guildwars. One had the right idea, the other did not. Interesting really.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Three off the top of my head. The other one didn't even get to release with their action RPG. Interesting really.

devoir on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    devoir wrote: »
    Three off the top of my head. The other one didn't even get to release with their action RPG. Interesting really.
    Rape my memory, what was the third one again?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castaway_Entertainment

The wikipedia article doesn't outline their game, but it was called Djinn. Video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK9mJVsF_Do

devoir on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Overdramatic, much?

In other news, apologist gets riled up about person criticizing shitty game company's shitty response to situation.

Why do you care again? And do we really need more apologia for crappy products/service?

FieryBalrog on
  • Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Overdramatic, much?

In other news, apologist gets riled up about person criticizing shitty game company's shitty response to situation.

Why do you care again? And do we really need more apologia for crappy products/service?

Have you forgotten what board you're on? This is G&T. Apologizing for shitty game company behavior is what we do, here.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If nothing else, it's been fun watching the forums and in-game chat explode with speculation and woe. One person said the servers had already shut down and were running on inertia.

It's SCIENCE!

Despite all the complaints from people, I enjoyed the game and would like to see it continue. We'll see what happens. I'm guessing we'll see some sort of official announcement tomorrow about the status of the game. Don't freak out about not being able to unsubscribe yet; give them a day or two to figure out what the hell is going on.

I have noticed today, though, that the palladium sell-bots aren't posting to the chat anymore. I guess the rats always get away before the ship sinks.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castaway_Entertainment

The wikipedia article doesn't outline their game, but it was called Djinn. Video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK9mJVsF_Do
    Hmm wonder why they folded. Interesting..

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If the subscription system is down (or so I've heard), does that mean that nobody can get into Stonehenge anymore?

I never did get around to killing the last guy there, even though I have two sets of heads to do so.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Overdramatic, much?

I don't see how pointing out that you are being a drama queen over what in all likelihood will amount to a non-issue is somehow being apologist. And I don't really care what happens to your money. At this point, with the attitude you are throwing about, I would be genuinely amused if some Korean company scammed you out of your life savings through your HG:L account. And then you would have won the argument. It's win-win!

delroland on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm not subscribed- oh, God no- but its a move that smacks of greed and incompetence up to the very end. Regardless of what 3rd party measures you can use to fight it, its really slimy, and given a long history of this sort of thing (billing people daily or multiple times when the game came out, broken game, broken content for subcribers, incompetent management) it is really rather hard to do anything but call out a turd as a turd.

You do realize the company is gone, right? Not to justify any actions, but everyone in charge of maintaining shit like that is fired. And not the nice "we'll have to let you go at the end of the week/month" fired, but the "make sure to pack your shit after this meeting, where we're telling you that you're shitcanned." kind of fired. There's no one at Flagship to grub the money anymore; they're history and all of their assets have gone to two separate companies.

Likely they just froze the subscriptions; no new ones and I'm betting once the current ones expire, the system won't auto-renew unless the new owners have put something in place by then. Doing some research, it looks like that's the line the ex-Flagship employes are towing. http://forums.mythos.com/showpost.php?p=148699&postcount=202

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    XaboraXabora Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Citrus wrote: »
    Xabora wrote: »
    Another Lifetime subber here.

I heard we may be getting out 150USD back plus a small gift or something.

o_O

Did you miss the part where the guys in charge had to dive into their own pocket just to pay their employees? Not to mention the waiver you agreed to never implied how long the lifetime of the game would be.

Never the less I hate to see a game go down the drain. Here's hoping someone picks it up.

Yes yes I know, but thats what I read on another site.
    And I know what the fine print said when I paid for it.

(I was reading a few other sites before I came across it)

Xabora on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    brynstar wrote: »
    Man this is horrible. Hellgate was a noble endeavor, and although it didn't quite live up to its idea initially, I still think it's a really cool game. So is Mythos. :( This is a sad time.

It was hardly a noble endeavour. Its been one of the most money-grubbing & incompetent endeavors I've ever witnessed.

Flagship has removed the option to let you unsubscribe as of this news breaking, from both EU and US webpages. That should tell you something about what kind of company this is, along with the long tale of woe that has accompanied Hellgate from the start.

I was never a subscriber, in fact I mostly played single player. I never felt like it was money-grubbing, just a different idea. To each their own though.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    *blahblahblah*

I'm not subbed- and it would be nice if you made your trolling funnier and more engaging.

You do realize the company is gone, right? Not to justify any actions, but everyone in charge of maintaining shit like that is fired. And not the nice "we'll have to let you go at the end of the week/month" fired, but the "make sure to pack your shit after this meeting, where we're telling you that you're shitcanned." kind of fired. There's no one at Flagship to grub the money anymore; they're history and all of their assets have gone to two separate companies.

Likely they just froze the subscriptions; no new ones and I'm betting once the current ones expire, the system won't auto-renew unless the new owners have put something in place by then. Doing some research, it looks like that's the line the ex-Flagship employes are towing. http://forums.mythos.com/showpost.php?p=148699&postcount=202

Right, but someone obviously cared enough to go to the trouble of updating the page. Why they couldn't update it with useful information- if even a "systems down" type message- instead of just playing Easter Egg hunt with the subscribe button is beyond me. The whole thing just smacks of amateurish & incompetent behavior... at best. And the videogame industry is not exactly suffering from want of the same.

FieryBalrog on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It sucks that Flagship went under, as I was hoping they had learned their lesson from Hellgate and were going to go on to better things. Mythos is nothing spectacular, but it's fun. I can overlook the rough edges given that it's a beta and I'm glad I got to try it before the company went belly up. I can't say I'm going to be bitter about paying $20 for Hellgate, even if they bring down the servers, I can play the single player. Don't know if I want to, mind you. The game feels amazingly repetitive. At first I was blown away but how much better the game is now then when it was first released. But once I got past that, the game really feels incomplete. Skill trees are shallow, combat is uninteresting, the entire game lacks polish, even after the recent patches. I have to wonder about that alternative universe, where Flagship spent (or was allowed to spend) an additional year on the development of Hellgate. Maybe everything wrong with this title could have been fixed by more time, or maybe not.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Would be funny if existing subscribers get a deduction in their CC BILL next month...

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So I've got a feeling that this will be the last thread. Will you make it to 100 before the inevitable death? =( I'm kind of thankful now that my trade on Goozex didn't go through.

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Zounds. Glad I didn't buy that Lifetime sub off that guy now. It's a pity - I REALLY like this game.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    A-PuckA-Puck Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Ok, something stinks a bit here, they couldn't afford to keep their employees, so they decided to remove the one active revenue stream they had? That just doesn't make sense. I imagine they must be hunting around for a buyer.

A-Puck on
    Soon... soon I will install you, my precious.
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    A-Puck wrote: »

Ok, something stinks a bit here, they couldn't afford to keep their employees, so they decided to remove the one active revenue stream they had? That just doesn't make sense. I imagine they must be hunting around for a buyer.

Their announcement was kind of vague about their future. I guess it gave hope to the community, but I've been hearing other things. HanbitSoft is going to fight them legally for the IP's, and Flagship appears like they'll be declaring bankruptcy.

So their future and the future of Hellgate London and Mythos are still in question.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    A-PuckA-Puck Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Dashui wrote: »

Their announcement was kind of vague about their future. I guess it gave hope to the community, but I've been hearing other things. HanbitSoft is going to fight them legally for the IP's, and Flagship appears like they'll be declaring bankruptcy.

So their future and the future of Hellgate London and Mythos are still in question.

Well, considering what the Devs are saying in the 'Fond Farewell' thread on the Mythos boards it certainly sounds like mythos is a dead game walking.

Suck.

A-Puck on
    Soon... soon I will install you, my precious.
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Dashui wrote: »

I dunno... sounds like corporate trickery to me. If they were to simply dissolve the studio, somebody would still be liable for all those debts they have, no? Where with this plan, they keep the company up just long enough to file those messy chapter 11 papers and they're in the clear.

I mean... the entire development team is gone. Subscriptions are cancelled. They have a ton of debts. Korean suits breathing down their necks. I don't see what much they can do now.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    JelloblimpJelloblimp Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Official forum goes bye bye, my guess is game servers will soon follow.

Jelloblimp on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    That's a real shame. The game never quite clicked with the addictive side of my personality, but it was fun enough and a good time mowing down demons on my own or with a small group.

If nothing else, it's sad to know how many people poured as much of themselves into it as they could, only to see it fail less than a year later.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Since the game very well may be going bye-bye for a while would it be a good idea to delete it now? Are your online characters stored on the servers or on your computer?

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Mutliplayer characters are stored serverside.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    harvest wrote: »
    Mutliplayer characters are stored serverside.
    Great so I can delete without worrying in case I want to reinstall later.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This isn't the mythos thread, but mythos is officially on hiatus. Forums down and servers are dead.

Asamof the Horrible on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Since word spreads fast around here and this thread needs a boost I can tell you this much... news will be coming soon for you folks. The game isn't going anywhere at the end of the month like the speculation has it nor is the forums. So you are stuck with Hellgate and the forums for a while That is all I can answer for now but I wanted to let you know you can focus on playing and not worrying.

http://forums.hellgatelondon.com/showthread.php?p=1155209#post1155209

devoir on
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Since word spreads fast around here and this thread needs a boost I can tell you this much... news will be coming soon for you folks. The game isn't going anywhere at the end of the month like the speculation has it nor is the forums. So you are stuck with Hellgate and the forums for a while That is all I can answer for now but I wanted to let you know you can focus on playing and not worrying.

http://forums.hellgatelondon.com/showthread.php?p=1155209#post1155209

Yeah I read that earlier today. Pretty damn vague. Someday there will be a good story behind all this I am sure. Another interesting bit I read today is that they had the game working on the 360 at one point over a year ago. I hope they can find a way to salvage this mess, I actually really like hellgate.

corin7 on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ironically (not really) I'd probably really enjoy the game on the 360. built-in voice chat and friends lists, controlling with a controller...there would also be the added benefit of it being able to run well without looking like absolute shit; which is why I buy most pc/360 games on the 360 now instead of my pc. much cheaper than upgrading my pc.

Anyway, I enjoyed the game when I bought it but something never "clicked" with me and it just turned into a once a month play for an hour thing. It's too bad the shit hit the fan though. I really believe there's a good underlying premise and maybe with a full blown expansion (or some seriously heavy patches) it could have turned into what it was supposed to be.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    SvidrigailovSvidrigailov Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    D'awwww, I was really hoping to be able to come back to a fully-polished Hellgate someday. =(

Svidrigailov on
    Neither the whole of truth nor the whole of good is revealed to any single observer, although each observer gains a partial superiority of insight from the peculiar position in which he stands. It is enough to ask of each of us that he should be faithful to his own opportunities and make the most of his own blessings, without presuming to regulate the rest of the vast field.
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ironically (not really) I'd probably really enjoy the game on the 360. built-in voice chat and friends lists, controlling with a controller...there would also be the added benefit of it being able to run well without looking like absolute shit; which is why I buy most pc/360 games on the 360 now instead of my pc. much cheaper than upgrading my pc.

Anyway, I enjoyed the game when I bought it but something never "clicked" with me and it just turned into a once a month play for an hour thing. It's too bad the shit hit the fan though. I really believe there's a good underlying premise and maybe with a full blown expansion (or some seriously heavy patches) it could have turned into what it was supposed to be.

Creative destruction. It will crash and burn and some smart (and well capitalized) gang will take the ball and run with it.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck