Options

Hellgate: London † Time to learn Korean?

• Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh dammit. I didn't see that the patch file itself was suspected as being corrupted.

Well, I guess there's time to play HG:L tomorrow. =/

e: God damn, those Blademaster notes are making me hot. This is exactly what I needed to get back into this game. I'm glad that they're adding in new skills for all classes as well. There were too few skills in this game.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    devoir wrote: »
    For the Abyss, yes.

For basically everything else, no.

There is some seriously neat stuff in these notes.

I'll post here when I see that they've fixed the installer.

I think I have an idea on how they can increase their test center numbers above 40.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Dev I am playing normal but moloch is doable on elite. Just have to be geared right and know what you are doing. BM is certainly under powered right now thus the revamp but not unplayable as all the cry babies on the official forums make it out to be. I just spent an hour in the wilds with l50 r25 engi just now and he had 15 deaths to my 2.

Speaking of which everyone thinking of rerolling on elite please consider the following. I have 150+ hours logged and am only r13. The wilds and moloch provide plenty of loot/challenge and abyss should only add to that. I only say this because it would actually be pretty awesome if we got a dozen or so people to 50 and could actually tackle stuff like dessi. If you really think you are going to put the time in and really want the challenge by all means keep at it but the difficulty and loot do increase in nm and stone henge.

Invite sent echo.

corin7 on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    For the Abyss, yes.

I think I have an idea on how they can increase their test center numbers above 40.

Then you'd see people playing on the test server just for the subscription ability rather than testing plus perks, and the resulting bitching if something went wrong would be enormous considering that type of person. At least, that's how I'm pretty sure it'd go down.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    For the Abyss, yes.

Then you'd see people playing on the test server just for the subscription ability rather than testing plus perks, and the resulting bitching if something went wrong would be enormous considering that type of person. At least, that's how I'm pretty sure it'd go down.

Wouldnt the first thing you do with content that you dont normally have is test it though? non subs getting some subscriber content would bee line for it at least getting some % of the community into the testing process. It really comes down to do you want 1% of 40 people testing your new stuff and giving feedback, or 1% of 200?(I dont know how the numbers are looking lately, it seemed to me that regular servers probably dont even hit 1k anymore, I could be wrong please dont hurt me. I wanted to say 400 or 1000 instead... but yeah.)

Its also a good way to bait people into becoming subscribers. I do see where your coming from, but they need to at least give a few hour of sub content to test it out. like a ticket, right click it, start 10 hours worth of sub gameplay per each patch for the test server. I think they would see jumps in subscriptions when doing this. If I hadn't threatened to punch one of the devs in the face in pm, I would try and find another to submit this idea to.

Edit: I do understand the subs would whine, but someone has to do the dirty work in order for them to get working patches :) There going to bitch anyways.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Jesus those are some serious patch notes. 2.0 is going to be a whole new game.

corin7 on
  • Options
    WillisIVIIXWillisIVIIX Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    For the Abyss, yes.

Wouldnt the first thing you do with content that you dont normally have is test it though? non subs getting some subscriber content would bee line for it at least getting some % of the community into the testing process. It really comes down to do you want 1% of 40 people testing your new stuff and giving feedback, or 1% of 200?(I dont know how the numbers are looking lately, it seemed to me that regular servers probably dont even hit 1k anymore, I could be wrong please dont hurt me. I wanted to say 400 or 1000 instead... but yeah.)

Its also a good way to bait people into becoming subscribers. I do see where your coming from, but they need to at least give a few hour of sub content to test it out. like a ticket, right click it, start 10 hours worth of sub gameplay per each patch for the test server. I think they would see jumps in subscriptions when doing this. If I hadn't threatened to punch one of the devs in the face in pm, I would try and find another to submit this idea to.

The ticket option isn't a bad idea, but only if it applies to the TC. I would expect even more bitching from free players if they jumped on live, got a trans cube, shared stash etc etc etc only to have it stripped from them in 10 hours. Of course at this stage the ticket could only be used if say normal is completed on the character, due to Abyss' 30 level requirement and Act 3 for Stonehenge. Maybe even give more tickets to people who actually submit some bugs in that 10 hour span. Well replace 10 hours with X for whatever time they would decide.

Right now the only real flaw I would see with that is it's a little too late for it be implemented for 2.0 testing, as free players wanting to test would surely want character's transfered to the TC, and we know they're not transfering again for 2.0. Not bad for a start, I give it a :^:

edit: And limiting additional tickets to freebies whom actually submit bugs removes the possibility of said freebies having permanent sub status inbetween patches.

WillisIVIIX on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I love how that it's not just adding re-rolled items with these new areas.

They're actually adding whole new items types (mythic, double-edged), new slots (trinkets) and new modifiers.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Nevermind those new skills. Honestly if they have the ambition to add in additional skills like that it leaves hope for how the game can continue to scale upwards. For once I'm actually content with the max level being 50, if they keep adding skills like this and keep adding on the expertise system, for higher ranks and different/more perks, who needs conventional leveling to X (Here's looking at you WoW).

Damnit I wanna play...... so hard

WillisIVIIX on
  • Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So I picked this up on a whim today since my comp can finally run it. Is there anything I should know going in cold for the first time? Any classes that are horribly gimped? It looks like I came at a good time with all the changes coming. If I like what I see enough I might subscribe. I've been looking for a new supplemental mmoish action game now that I'm not playing PSU anymore.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    For the Abyss, yes.

The ticket option isn't a bad idea, but only if it applies to the TC. I would expect even more bitching from free players if they jumped on live, got a trans cube, shared stash etc etc etc only to have it stripped from them in 10 hours. Of course at this stage the ticket could only be used if say normal is completed on the character, due to Abyss' 30 level requirement and Act 3 for Stonehenge. Maybe even give more tickets to people who actually submit some bugs in that 10 hour span. Well replace 10 hours with X for whatever time they would decide.

Right now the only real flaw I would see with that is it's a little too late for it be implemented for 2.0 testing, as free players wanting to test would surely want character's transfered to the TC, and we know they're not transfering again for 2.0. Not bad for a start, I give it a :^:

edit: And limiting additional tickets to freebies whom actually submit bugs removes the possibility of said freebies having permanent sub status inbetween patches.

I did mean this for TC only. I would suggest "chairs (for earners)"(tickets for bug submissions) but it would just flood bug submissions without really seeing if theres known problems, it would create more problems then worth. They should give prefab characters if they really need to test certain level content. It wouldnt be a bad idea though to give tickets for things, like once the player hits 30 on the test server, but I feel that lowbies could experience the same sub bugs at lower levels generally. I guess it would depend on the patch.

Edit: No offence dev, but the new classifications of mythic and whatever are just new modifiers on their random engine. They could be clicking the button and adding 100 weapons per week in this manner. The rings and such just seems preplaned to me, the fact they wernt in before was suspicious and I think it was precooked content. Not that its bad mind you ;) Do we have cloaks yet? If not thats next. Then inventory charms

God Im an asshole tonight, can the server just be playable already so Ill shut up and kill things?

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Riale wrote: »
    So I picked this up on a whim today since my comp can finally run it. Is there anything I should know going in cold for the first time? Any classes that are horribly gimped? It looks like I came at a good time with all the changes coming. If I like what I see enough I might subscribe. I've been looking for a new supplemental mmoish action game now that I'm not playing PSU anymore.

Just don't play single player.... ever.

Really the only "gimped" class was Blademaster due to their addiction of health injectors, however that is changing right now. My advice? Once the test center is up and running with the new patch, just start fresh there in ready for the changes ahead, test out each class to say level 10, and see which tickles your fancy. Level 10 on the test center shouldn't take more than 2 hours a character, once you get a feel and know what to do.

Also make sure to create a character or two, or one for each class or w/e on the live server for once 2.0 comes out you'll have skill/attribute/expertise retrainers waiting for you on each character.
    I did mean this for TC only. I would suggest "chairs (for earners)"(tickets for bug submissions) but it would just flood bug submissions without really seeing if theres known problems, it would create more problems then worth. They should give prefab characters if they really need to test certain level content. It wouldnt be a bad idea though to give tickets for things, like once the player hits 30 on the test server, but I feel that lowbies could experience the same sub bugs at lower levels generally. I guess it would depend on the patch.

Yea I thought about lowbies as well, even if to test out how certain skills are overpowered or underpowered during standard leveling. It's a start at least, and it's a unique way of doing it instead of handing out a free month sub with a submission of a code or proof of purchase or w/e (which is something they should consider when 2.0 hits live, or 2.1 when PvP is up and going.)

WillisIVIIX on
  • Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Quick question, what server is everyone playing on? I didn't see it mentioned anywhere in the OP.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Shulgoth, the NA/US server.

WillisIVIIX on
  • Options
    KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Shulgoth, the only US server.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Well, shit. This is disappointing.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Yea I figured this would happen since they seemed to grind out this upload, nothing was really coordinated. I give them credit though, aside from this circus the update seems hot, too hot.

I'm going to bed, download while at work or if I wake up during the evening. Later everyone.

WillisIVIIX on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Glad I decided to play on normal server. Ended up doing a rank and getting some unique boots. Test server will be there in a day or two once they get it running somewhat smoothly.

corin7 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Edit: No offence dev, but the new classifications of mythic and whatever are just new modifiers on their random engine. They could be clicking the button and adding 100 weapons per week in this manner. The rings and such just seems preplaned to me, the fact they wernt in before was suspicious and I think it was precooked content. Not that its bad mind you ;) Do we have cloaks yet? If not thats next. Then inventory charms

God Im an asshole tonight, can the server just be playable already so Ill shut up and kill things?

What I meant is that this is actually expanding the set of possible items, not just, for example, throwing half a dozen new uniques into the mix, or just adding new ways to get the same items.

i.e. A lot of the uniques you'd see in Stonehenge are just re-rolled items from the same pool of modifiers at release. New modifiers, new slots, new base items, they're adding to the loot system on all levels, rather than just one.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    God. I'm still reading over those patch notes and there is just so much stuff with the Blademaster.

I really like how they have an "oh shit" group heal skill coming in. With the changes to surges, there are really a bunch more options.

It sounds like they plan to release more skills in the new areas as they go along, with this restructure of the single tree into 3 tabs worth of trees. Hopefully we'll get even more skills so that you can end up with far more character development depth.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    God. I'm still reading over those patch notes and there is just so much stuff with the Blademaster.

I really like how they have an "oh shit" group heal skill coming in. With the changes to surges, there are really a bunch more options.

It sounds like they plan to release more skills in the new areas as they go along, with this restructure of the single tree into 3 tabs worth of trees. Hopefully we'll get even more skills so that you can end up with far more character development depth.

All of these things are only adding to my boner for this patch.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Your Blademaster should be on the test server, Krunk, seeing as you stopped playing normal HGL around the same time as I did. Back then they used to transfer the characters across before every patch.

devoir on
  • Options
    SvidrigailovSvidrigailov Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If they added cloaks and made them look right--I'm talking real, flowing cloaks that conform to the character's body--I'd never play another game. I wouldn't care if cape physics costed me another 20 FPS. All I really want from video games is to look cool walking around town.

(of course, those 2.0 patch notes will do for now... :shock: )

Svidrigailov on
    Neither the whole of truth nor the whole of good is revealed to any single observer, although each observer gains a partial superiority of insight from the peculiar position in which he stands. It is enough to ask of each of us that he should be faithful to his own opportunities and make the most of his own blessings, without presuming to regulate the rest of the vast field.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Your Blademaster should be on the test server, Krunk, seeing as you stopped playing normal HGL around the same time as I did. Back then they used to transfer the characters across before every patch.

Yep, he's there. I said "wassup" to him a couple days ago. He's just hanging out, waiting to become badass.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    So, Bogustus just made a post...
    "Ugh, the download. It's totally borked our schedule today. We are almost done uploading it again in the US and the EU copy is getting close too. We will double check the consistency of the files this time.

Now, it's getting a little late in PST. It's too late at night to have enough Flagship eyes watching the first wave of players enter The Abyss on Test Center.

So, we have closed The Gate on Test Center until tomorrow morning.

Until then, read the Patch Notes a few times - it's about 18 pages typed! This patch is huge!"

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    brb killing self

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Aura of Zeal's change is really interesting. It no longer gives crit, rather it gives crit damage, thus synergising better with Surge of Wrath.

With no enemies in your aura, max AoZeal = +250% crit damage.

Each additional enemy is worth +2% chance to crit, up to 16% chance to crit.

Surge of Wrath at max level, with 3 surges, is 15% chance to crit.

So from skills, under optimal conditions that's 31% chance to crit, at an additional 250% damage to those crits on top of whatever you're packing from accuracy and equipment. Even under standard dungeon crawling conditions of around 4 enemies, that's still 23% chance to crit.

Although the change so that Surge Mastery doesn't extend the life of the surges is interesting. It means you have to chain kill to keep the surges going a lot more. 12% chance for a surge to go off is 1/8 hits (rounding). Surge Mastery increases that by 3% per point, for a maximum of +21%, making it 33%, one in every three hits.

Too bad Surges are still going to be active skills. Even so, you can easily have two surges on the two mouse buttons and should have no troubles keeping them up if you fully invested in the surge line. 2 surges (probably restoration and wrath) to 10, plus 7 levels of surge mastery is 27 points. Plus Aura of Zeal (no need for AoPower because Surges don't cost power anymore), 37 points. That leaves you 12 points to put into whatever you want (1 point is used by automatic Sword of Reckoning).

devoir on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    So, Bogustus just made a post...
    "Ugh, the download. It's totally borked our schedule today. We are almost done uploading it again in the US and the EU copy is getting close too. We will double check the consistency of the files this time.

Now, it's getting a little late in PST. It's too late at night to have enough Flagship eyes watching the first wave of players enter The Abyss on Test Center.

So, we have closed The Gate on Test Center until tomorrow morning.

Until then, read the Patch Notes a few times - it's about 18 pages typed! This patch is huge!"

... Selfish bastards. Just dose one guy up on caffeine for god's sake.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I know! What the hell are they thinking?

e: And I am definitely going to try a BM crit build right off the bat. I think it's going to have a lot of potential.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Oh, there's another thing. The change so that specific skill levels aren't tied to character level is huge.

devoir on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2008
    Getting a buddy kinda interested. I like my guardian, so a guardian/BM combo sounds nice for synergy auras.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Auras don't affect other people, if that's what you mean.

Svidrigailov on
    Neither the whole of truth nor the whole of good is revealed to any single observer, although each observer gains a partial superiority of insight from the peculiar position in which he stands. It is enough to ask of each of us that he should be faithful to his own opportunities and make the most of his own blessings, without presuming to regulate the rest of the vast field.
  • Options
    Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    which is stupid and annoys me

grumble grumble

all i want is my paladin from diablo 2 in the future with guns

is it so much to ask

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • Options
    IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm currently a Lv. 6 Engineer. Toss Laitha a ginvite pretty please!

IvanIssacs on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Well, as I approach 40 I'm beginning to understand why people on the official forums don't recommend AoP for a Guardian. Whereas ten levels ago I was charging into swarms of 10 Shock Slayers and coming out without using a single heal, I'm now faced with mobs that I can't permanently stun with Shield Turn. I think I'm going to use the respeccer in my bank to switch to Renewal tonight.

Part of me is glad of it, too. For most of the game Guardian has been so easy that I've given serious consideration to switching class. I'm not joking when I talk about permastun--I killed all five Lies without taking more than three or four hits from each, and my gear wasn't anything out of the ordinary. I'll miss being able to spam PoH, PoR, and Shield Turn every cooldown, though.
    Little Jim wrote: »
    which is stupid and annoys me

grumble grumble

all i want is my paladin from diablo 2 in the future with guns

is it so much to ask
    Man, just imagine:
    Renewal Guardian
    Defense Guardian
    Power Guardian/BM
    Elements BM
    Zeal BM

With 8 enemies in range, that's 33 health/sec, 25 power/sec, very nearly double armor, 28% crit, and +864 elemental attack strength

Svidrigailov on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Hey guys, they have put up the new patch links. Including a torrent. I know that there's no rush now to get the file, but if you're comfortable with torrents then that's probably the way to go.

devoir on
  • Options
    KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I think I might remake my Gundian on Normal.

Or an Engineer, or something.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Link to the patch for anyone who needs it: http://forums.hellgatelondon.com/showthread.php?t=100820

For some reason there's no option to download the TC patch on the patch link page.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I think Scapes went home before Tyler posted the updated links.

Good to see they have a torrent going.

devoir on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I really, really shouldn't risk feeding my alt-itis, but seeing in print that all characters created before 2.0 will get free skill and attribute respec items makes me realize I'd be crazy not to at least create 1 of each class, just in case.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!