Options

Burnout Paradise - Where we're going, we don't need roads.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That map looks handy.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If you guys have the ps3 version you can use the save game analyzer to help you find the stuff you are missing.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    YorkerYorker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Just got my Burnout License again, now i need to do like 10 Showtime Road Rules and 95 events and the Criterion Elite will be mine.

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So when you're hosting a Freeburning session, how do you choose which challenges to do?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    YorkerYorker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So when you're hosting a Freeburning session, how do you choose which challenges to do?

It's in the EasyDrive menu.

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yorker wrote: »

It's in the EasyDrive menu.

i.e. Right on the d-pad, I believe.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    But see, all I see in there are Ranked Events, Road Rage and Marked Man. Nothing about Freeburn Challenges.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You need more than one person in there.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    My first Platinum!!

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    RotamRotam Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So, I said I was done with this game and all.

Yeah, about that........

I went and done everything I didn't complete in the main game. Still looking for that last jump in the Mountains though.

Rotam on
  • Options
    HalibutHalibut Passion Fish Swimming in obscurity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I did the same thing. After getting my elite license, I was just going to get my remaining smash and 2 billboards, but I ended up also doing all of the offline timed challenges as well as about 8 of the crashes (I don't remember the actual name for either of those modes). The timed challenges were surprisingly easy with the police F1 car. I love that freaking car.

By the end of the week, I want to see my map covered in gold street labels. Going to try to finish it before I get Killzone 2.

Halibut on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    man theyre really gouging peoples assholes with these car packs. the toy car pack is $13.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    wakeboarderbluntwakeboarderblunt Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Finally got my Burnout license yesterday, I did all the Burning routes I had available, I don't have to do everything again when I get my Elite license do I? I gotta get online and do some more challenges though.. anybody that sees me online, feel free to hit me up.

wakeboarderblunt on
    stripessig.jpg
    WBblunt.gif
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I wish they'd do more with the bikes. There just ain't a whole lot of meat there.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So I played Burnout Revenge & Takedown the other day.

It's like Paradise took a step backwards.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So, does anyone have any toy cars? I am really curious about these things. Any impressions?

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I wish they'd do more with the bikes. There just ain't a whole lot of meat there.
    Their crashes are really unsatisfying, too. :(

Glal on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Satsumomo wrote: »

It's like Paradise took a step backwards and fell into a chasm but wait the chasm was actually padded with a giant trampoline that shot Paradise to the heavens.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

It's like Paradise took a step backwards and fell into a chasm but wait the chasm was actually padded with a giant trampoline that shot Paradise to the heavens.

:(

No man really, they took out too much stuff, the game is really easy now too. I know the crashes and graphics look waaaay better in Paradise, but we're talking about PS2 vs X360 right there, so that's not fair. I like Takedown the most of all.

I dislike that:
    - Nooooo crash moooode (Zombie horse!)
    - Cars do not explode or break in half anymore.
    - Takedowns are extremely easy now, just bump them sideways and they fly off the course, always.
    - There aren't any "unique" takedowns anymore, like making someone crash in a certain part of the track, or in a very cool way. Now it's just takedown, car/van/bus takedown, grind and T-Bone takedown.
    - No more aftertouch takedowns, those were fun and actually used up your boost bar.
    - The open city isn't really very big, and pretty much makes every race very similar, the only thing I really like is the uniqueness of shortcuts, but other than that, most races are pretty much just the same, and they're rather bland because you generally just go in a straight line and maybe have 2 or 3 sharp turns.

I mean, it's still a really fun game, but they could have added a lot more things and made it just insanely good. Now it's just like every other "good" game out there, play the shit out of it in order to unlock stuff, just what makes all MMO's addicting: It's become a grindfest.

If they hadn't taken out so much stuff, and just added the goodness of Paradise... Why does everyone love Paradise so much?

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I like it because it feels like Carmageddon, sans the gore. An open world with arcade physics, designed to be experimented with. And a car you can crumple into a can.
    Of course, it lacks cars with lawnmower blades and spikes on the front, and achievements for stuff like "juggle a blood-splattering pedestrian on your hood for at least 3 seconds", but nobody's perfect.

Glal on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    What I really miss are unique tds, aftertouch tds and double/triple tds.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Glal wrote: »
    I like it because it feels like Carmageddon, sans the gore. An open world with arcade physics, designed to be experimented with. And a car you can crumple into a can.
    Of course, it lacks cars with lawnmower blades and spikes on the front, and achievements for stuff like "juggle a blood-splattering pedestrian on your hood for at least 3 seconds", but nobody's perfect.

They should make a new Carmageddon.

right now.

Six on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So no ones bought any toy cars? Really?

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    edited March 2009
    So no ones bought any toy cars? Really?

Seems expensive for what you get.

Six on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    - There aren't any "unique" takedowns anymore, like making someone crash in a certain part of the track, or in a very cool way. Now it's just takedown, car/van/bus takedown, grind and T-Bone takedown.

Don't forget my favorite, the vertical takedown, when you land on a car. Yum.

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Six wrote: »
    right now.
    And have it not suck, unlike the last one. I tried and failed to get #2 to work a week back... :(

Glal on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Six wrote: »
    right now.
    And have it not suck, unlike the last one. I tried and failed to get #2 to work a week back... :(

I spent so much time with the first, but never got into any of the sequels.

Just a remake of the first with the Paradise engine or something similar would get my monies in an instant.

Six on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Their crashes are really unsatisfying, too. :(

If they had a ragdoll physics rider flying around when you crashed I'd play bikes constantly.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Don't forget my favorite, the vertical takedown, when you land on a car. Yum.

edit: nm misread things

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

:(

No man really, they took out too much stuff, the game is really easy now too. I know the crashes and graphics look waaaay better in Paradise, but we're talking about PS2 vs X360 right there, so that's not fair. I like Takedown the most of all.

I dislike that:
    - Nooooo crash moooode (Zombie horse!)
    - Cars do not explode or break in half anymore.
    - Takedowns are extremely easy now, just bump them sideways and they fly off the course, always.
    - No more aftertouch takedowns, those were fun and actually used up your boost bar.
    - The open city isn't really very big, and pretty much makes every race very similar, the only thing I really like is the uniqueness of shortcuts, but other than that, most races are pretty much just the same, and they're rather bland because you generally just go in a straight line and maybe have 2 or 3 sharp turns.

I mean, it's still a really fun game, but they could have added a lot more things and made it just insanely good. Now it's just like every other "good" game out there, play the shit out of it in order to unlock stuff, just what makes all MMO's addicting: It's become a grindfest.

If they hadn't taken out so much stuff, and just added the goodness of Paradise... Why does everyone love Paradise so much?

Opinions of Paradise have changed drastically if you ask me. There was no end to the bitching about how much different it was compared to Takedown, etc when it first came out.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Yes, I can only imagine, right now with all the added extras it has indeed become a much better game. I like the game, I just miss all those things. And yes, double/triple/etc takedowns were awesome, I really feel cheated out when I make takedown 2 cars in Paradise and it just counts as 1.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    Pvt JonesPvt Jones Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Paradise was a great move. Imperfect, for sure, and it removed some of the things that made Takedown (the best in the series IMO) so good, but this is EA we're talking about. It won't be long until the next one, and it's better to transplant an ageing series onto a slightly rocky new template than it is to keep on refining and maintaining the status quo.

Three iterations down the line, it's going to be incredible.

Pvt Jones on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I do agree that Takedown was the height of the series. I like to race, not try to figure out how to get from point A to point B while racing. That still hasn't stopped me from putting a crapload of hours into the game, though.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Maybe what I want to know is why do people regard Paradise as game brought down from the heavens.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It's an extremely good game. There's just always something to do.

Except for me. I'm considering getting the PS3 version just to have more stuff to do :P

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Maybe what I want to know is why do people regard Paradise as game brought down from the heavens.

Because it's a very good game, regardless of what the earlier gamers were like. Some people like Takedown and Paradise. :!:

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    ShujaaShujaa Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I bought the Legendary Cars DLC pack from the PSN Store, and it downloaded and installed. But when I play Burnout Paradise, those cars are unselectable. Anyone know what I'm missing?

Shujaa on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    On the main menu, instead of Cars or Bikes, there should be a third option, Legendary Cars. They aren't mixed in with your regulars.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I love Burnout Paradise. But you know what annoys me a little? You can't mix cars and bikes when playing online. Maybe it's a minor thing, but I wanted to mix things up.

Presumably, if Legendary Cars gets their own menu, you can't mix them with regular cars or bikes either? That would really suck.

Legba on
  • Options
    Pvt JonesPvt Jones Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

It's a new direction, is all. In shifting the framework from linear arcade progression to open world, Burnout has become something altogether more solid. It's not necessarily a better game than Takedown, it's just that the format had hit a dead end. Thanks to this imperfect but largely successful change, there's going to be life in the series for a good few sequels to come. I think that's what a lot of people are happy about.

Pvt Jones on