As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Best humorous LPs?

MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighterDaehan MingukRegistered User regular
edited June 2008 in Games and Technology
So we've been having a lot of slow days at work lately, and I've been trying to find some good LPs to fill my time. While I appreciate the ones that get all in-character and narrative, what I really want is an LP that just really makes me laugh my ass off. It seems like the first few I read had me cracking up, but now I'm having a hard time finding a good one that's really enjoyable. Take me on a hilarious journey through videogamedom! Make me a believer again!

I prefer screenshot LPs, as video is harder to pull off at work, but any suggestions will be accepted with my undying gratitude. And yes, I have read the Animal Crossing LP, and it was awesome. Thanks in advance, forumites.

steam_sig.png
MundaneSoul on

• Options
    f-k-tf-k-t Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    http://www.letsplayarchive.com/

The daikatana LP by proteus and suspicious is pretty funny, but it's video.

f-k-t on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I thought Gilder's LP of Super Mario All-Stars was hilarious. I'm sure you can find it around here :)

urahonky on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    No mention of the dark id's resident evil LP's yet? For shame.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Any and all of Nakar's Ultima LPs from the SA archive. They are highly entertaining.

captaink on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Kaizo Mario World and it's brethren are also hilarious. I'd also recommend deceasedcrab's LPs of La Mulana and Cave Story.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    Canada is 1337Canada is 1337 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Slowbeef's Super Metroid LP was my first, and favorite:

http://fromearth.net/LetsPlay/Super%20Metroid/

Canada is 1337 on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    captaink wrote: »
    Any and all of Nakar's Ultima LPs from the SA archive. They are highly entertaining.

Absolutely. I'm not sure if Steve without Iolo to abuse would be as amusing in Pagan or Underworld, but they really need to get him to do it anyway.

The Ultima VI LP is particularly inspired.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    2 words:

Boat Murdered

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Final Fantasy 8 on the LP archive.

Schide on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    2 words:

Boat Murdered

Isn't Boatmurdered one word in that context? But yes it's so worth it and will make you want to play df.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    ScrabbleDudeScrabbleDude Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I read Yahtzee's LP for Flashback and thought it was good.

ScrabbleDude on
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The SA Kaizo Mario World LP had me rolling. I especially recommend the video where Proton John does a blind run of one of the special world levels.

For screenshot SA LPs, the Fallout ones are narrative, but are really funny as well. Same goes with the Jagged Alliance 2 LP. Both of those are also in the LP archive.

EDIT: Heh , I just noticed the Animal Crossing LP reference in your sig randombattle. Awesome. Honestly, the LP forum is enough to tempt me to buy membership myself. Haven't gone through with it, though.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Here I thought you were talking about vinyl records.

Old++

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh the Animal Crossing one. It's not quite, funny, but it is awesome.

captaink on
  • Options
    theclamtheclam Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Let's Color A Dinosaur

Henroid on
  • Options
    FeathersMcGrawFeathersMcGraw Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    cloudeagle wrote: »

I know, my favorite humorous LP is Who's On First by Abbott and Costello.

FeathersMcGraw on
  • Options
    Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The Jurassic Park one on here was fairly entertaining.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    2 words:

Boat Murdered

Isn't Boatmurdered one word in that context? But yes it's so worth it and will make you want to play df.

I came here to suggest this (selfishly, as I was one of the LPers for it); but definitely worth a read in my oh so humble opinion. It'd probably be listed under Dwarf Fortress, though.

Bremen on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I know you'd prefer screenshot LPs, but I have to take this chance to mention Maxwell Adams and his awesome Oblivion LP. It is my favorite style of LP - a bunch of nerds gathered 'round a guy playing a video game and just shootin' the shit

He also did a hilarious Resident Evil 4 LP but then his Wii broke or something

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I see 'humorous LPs' and my only thought was being a kid, listening to my father's Bill Cosby standup routines on old-timey records. 'To Russel, My Brother, Whom I Slept With' was gonna' be my reccomendation.

Oh, you meant Let's Play... oh... well, now I feel old as shit. Like, old shit. All white and chalkey...

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Ahaha, the one Maximum Zero posted was the one I was talking about. So hilarious.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Old++

Highfive!

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'll get the few stellar video Let's Plays out of the way. The video format isn't innately ill-suited to a lot of games, but most authors put fuck-all effort into their video playthroughs and are narcissistic enough to believe that they can be entertaining for long stretches without a script. They can't. There are a few standout video Let's Plays that have had a lot of effort put in, from scripting to video editing.

Research Indicates' Jurassic Park: Trespasser. It suffers from the same issues that all video Let's Plays do, but RI's gaming take on a PBS documentary is entertaining - and technically impressive - from start to finish. It's not strictly humorous, but it is very funny in parts and without question the most effort anyone has put into a video playthough.

docevil's Sonic 2: Special Edition for the Sega CD 32x is a real game that actually existed, yes it did. This is a very educational series on a cancelled game that clearly had the potential to be one the best games ever made. I can't recommend this one enough.

By the same author, though sadly not quite on par with Sonic 2 (but still better than the shit everyone else churns out): Tryrush Deppy and Tempo 2, unheard-of gems on the Sega Saturn. Again, docevil puts a great deal of thought into scripting, and tries to give each video an amusing gimmick beyond "I try to be funny for ten minutes and fail, HUZZAH, please subscribe to my YouTube channel". I recommend starting with Tryrush Deppy; each main stage is commentated by endlessly amusing beatnik poetry.

Screenshot Let's Plays! That's where the funny is at!

CapitanGarlic's Icewind Dale is ongoing - nearing completion - and very funny. Doubly so if you have any familiarity with Icewind Dale. The author has taken PC gaming's most generic D&D dungeon crawler, almost entirely void of story and character (the party is entirely player-generated), and inserted a party of motor-mouth misfits, as suggested by others. Garlic pays little attention to the game's story, and rightly so. The fun's all in what happens in combat and how the party reacts. Starts off slowly, but the characters will grow on you.

Anything by the Dark Id is worth reading. He has a penchant for playing painfully shit Capcom games - Resident Evil 4 gets a pass - and providing an angry, increasingly weary walkthrough. Excellent jokes, written and visual, on games that deserve far more mocking than they recieve. His best yet is Square's Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus, though that's gone on hiatus and it will disappear into the Something Awful forum archives shortly.

Leovinus' Final Fantasy VIII was the first Let's Play I read, and it remains a firm favourite. Leovinus blitzes through the game, glosses over the story, and replaces all the characters with hilarious characatures; Final Fantasy VIII through the eyes of someone who hates Final Fantasy VIII, and isn't afraid to call it on its painfully retarded characters, and doubly retarded story developments. It has the greatest ending any Let's Play will ever have. Perfect from start to finish.

I also recommend The Terrible Secret of Animal Crossing and Ultima VII (the previous Ultima Let's Plays, by the same author, are unfortunately hard to follow if you have no stomach for old RPGs), which have already been mentioned.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Henroid wrote: »
    Let's Color A Dinosaur

This is the best PA LP.

Gilder on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    The Trespasser LP is indeed excellent. It helps that the LPer has the perfect voice for that kind of LP.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I've read the first few chapters of Animal Crossing. I've never played this game and never will, so can someone tell me whether all the dialogue really is true to the game? The swear words give some of it away, but I don't understand the rest.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Tim James wrote: »
    I've read the first few chapters of Animal Crossing. I've never played this game and never will, so can someone tell me whether all the dialogue really is true to the game? The swear words give some of it away, but I don't understand the rest.

Every screenshot in that lp is real if I recall correctly. Just taken majorly out of context.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    PunkBoy wrote: »
    The Trespasser LP is indeed excellent. It helps that the LPer has the perfect voice for that kind of LP.

I love that. The guy sounds like Tom Bodett, and he actually has some fairly interesting things to say about the game, it's development, the dinosaurs it has, and the various levels themselves. Only occasional humorous moments, but pretty much the perfect 'informative' LP

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I really enjoyed the KOTOR 2 Screenshot LP. It's sometimes serious, sometimes humorous, and really just a great read.

I've been following this Limbo of the Lost screenshot LP. It's still ongoing, but rather promising just as an exploration of how horrid games can get.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ahaha, the one Maximum Zero posted was the one I was talking about. So hilarious.

Impersonator on
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This animal crossing one is brilliant.

Makes me want a game like this.

edit : ok I want a game like the first couple updates. the ones where he started to use his own pictures and stuff were not up to par with the earlier updates.

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    theantipoptheantipop Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    f-k-t wrote: »
    http://www.letsplayarchive.com/

The daikatana LP by proteus and suspicious is pretty funny, but it's video.

That was actually painful for anyone who has actually played the game. The game is just so sad and pathetic, it transcends funny pathetic back into embarrassing, hide your head in shame pathetic. The only funny apart Daikatana is the "John Romero's about to make you his bitch" ads. Any LP of this is bound to end up like the MST3k of Manos, The Hands of Fate. The source material simply drains your soul.

theantipop on
  • Options
    whuppinswhuppins Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Boatmurdered is the funniest LP ever.

whuppins on
  • Options
    DudeMaYnDudeMaYn Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Part 2 *snip*

This had me almost in tears; my speakers are almost completely off, and I could still hear his screams of anger from the jumping football guy.

DudeMaYn on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

THIS. VERY MUCH THIS.

I'm loading the second video now, but that entire first one was full of what the hell and laughs.

Henroid on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The LP of Sonic 2006 is hilarious because the game is so damned awful.

The folks playing it have a pretty good sense of humor too, which is good because it's most likely the only thing that kept them sane.

Slicer on