As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Magic: The Gathering drafts

saliansalian Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in PAX Archive
So last year, I brought 2 boxes worth of Time Spiral block boosters to do some drafting. Unfortunately, no one outside of WotC's Magic room wanted to draft, and everyone in there seemed only interested in 10th Edition sealed deck. I doubt I'll have enough Shadowmoor/Eventide packs this year to haul up to the convention, but I would LOVE to get some SSE drafts going, if anyone is interested and/or has packs to bring. Or, at the very least, we can do a Standard tournament.

Sound good to anyone?

PAX Prime 2011 Omeganaut
salian on

• Options
    emorimikuemorimiku Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'd be in for a draft or some sort of limited action. I havn't played magic in a few months though so I don't really have anything for standard ready though

emorimiku on
    <emorimiku> j0z1e ... physically emotionally or mentally?
    <j0z1e> ummmm, all three? at once?
  • Options
    MaoChanMaoChan Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I wouldn't mind doing it, I prefer something older cuz I haven't played 10th at all.

MaoChan on
  • Options
    Oz K. FodrotskiOz K. Fodrotski Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Despite being a very old-school Magic player (kind of faded out around Mercadian Masques), I wouldn't mind getting my draft on.

Oz K. Fodrotski on
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Despite being a very old-school Magic player (kind of faded out around Mercadian Masques), I wouldn't mind getting my draft on.

Ditto, including the timing of getting out. Limited formats were always my favorite.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    MaoChan wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind doing it, I prefer something older cuz I haven't played 10th at all.

I don't really care what we draft I just prefer that it wasn't a core set because core sets in my experience which ends around planeshift prerlease I think aren't as much fun. With the exception of the 9th ed draft where I got a Wrath of God on the second pick of the second pack.

emorimiku on
  • Options
    MaoChanMaoChan Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yea one draft I did was the Ravinca block and man that was crazy with 5 color draft decks. Tons of fun and really made you think.

MaoChan on
  • Options
    atiariatiari Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'd be interested, but not during exhibition hours. Mainly because I am primarily coming for work. But yea, if we can set something up a little more concrete I'd be up for it.

Though I'd want to see what WotC is doing too so I can split my time well.

atiari on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I think it'd be neat if there was a MTG Draft going on in the hotel after hours... generally hotels have some kind of place that could be unofficially converted into a catch-as-catch-can tournament location. =) If I could still go, I'd TOTALLY be down for that.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    atiari wrote: »
    I'd be interested, but not during exhibition hours. Mainly because I am primarily coming for work. But yea, if we can set something up a little more concrete I'd be up for it.

Though I'd want to see what WotC is doing too so I can split my time well.

I am almost 100% positive that WotC will stick to 10th edition core set limited, either sealed deck or drafts, at least if last year was any indication. I did not see them break open any Time Spiral block packs the whole weekend. Which is why I bring this whole issue up :)

I tried to set up something concrete last year, but no one ever showed up to the table when the time came. I'm not sure how to remedy that situation this year though...people lose track of the time pretty easily. Not that I can really blame them for that, it is PAX after all. Once the date gets closer, I'll see where everyone stands on interest and a mutual time to play.

salian on
    PAX Prime 2011 Omeganaut
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I would assume that they were doing 10th edition drafts because last year's summer release was 10th editition. However this year's summer release is eventide so there's better hopes for drafting in the WotC room.

emorimiku on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    emorimiku wrote: »
    I would assume that they were doing 10th edition drafts because last year's summer release was 10th editition. However this year's summer release is eventide so there's better hopes for drafting in the WotC room.

Maybe, but they could have used 10th because it is easier for new players to understand, as well. If that was the case last year, then that very well could be the case this year. I hope not though :\

salian on
    PAX Prime 2011 Omeganaut
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I'm staying in the Sheraton, quite literally spitting distance from the convention center. Anyone know if they've got meeting rooms that are available free of charge there? If so I can call and snag one. My reservations don't talk about that sort of thing.

atiari on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I know they have meeting rooms, but I don't know if they're free... however, most hotels have some sort of lobby/lounge/office area/restaurant where one could hold one impromptu if there's enough countertop space. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Meetings rooms cost $ which I honestly don't have so that's out. All the restaurants close at midnight. So that's out.

Ah well, probably better to try and organize it for the actual convention hall anyways.

atiari on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited June 2008
    No they're nothing even close to free. In fact they're ridiculously expensive, but the lobby on the first floor was crawling with PAX attendees DSing it up and probably playing Magic (I wasn't staying there, so I didn't get a good look).

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited June 2008
    Considering the convention hall is open until 3 and sat/sun the convention opens at 10am, do we really NEED an after hours draft going? Seriously.

I am down with something after the exhibition hall closes though, depending on my coworker. May have to leave to get food, do my article on the day's experiences and then come back. Definitely down for stuff on Sunday night too since my plane doesn't leave till like 4pm.

atiari on
  • Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    salian wrote: »

Maybe, but they could have used 10th because it is easier for new players to understand, as well. If that was the case last year, then that very well could be the case this year. I hope not though :\

Heh, I trolled past that area multiple times last year but never saw anyone fitting your description. Even camped out a bit playing magic with my brother and random passerby. You need a big neon sign or something. :P~

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    skarsol wrote: »
    salian wrote: »

Heh, I trolled past that area multiple times last year but never saw anyone fitting your description. Even camped out a bit playing magic with my brother and random passerby. You need a big neon sign or something. :P~

Welllll I AM only one man :P I think some sort of cell number exchange prior to the convention should take place this time around, that way anyone who is interested from the forums can get in on it and we can schedule it more easily so that it works out for everyone. Of course, this year I won't have 2 booster boxes of product, so we will still need a way to get Shadowmoor/Eventide packs. If WotC does non-10th Edition drafts this time around, then this may all be a moot issue.

salian on
    PAX Prime 2011 Omeganaut
  • Options
    wetzelcoatlwetzelcoatl Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    i would be down to do some drafting of pretty much anything and i know some of my friends would also the one problem with doing sse though is that you have to buy individual boosters where as if you do three of the same set you can have an 8 person tournament where everyone drops like $12 and you just buy a box which has the added bonus of giving you 12 extra boosters that you can use as prizes for the tournament, i think if we are going to try to get people to draft that is by far the best way to do it

wetzelcoatl on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    i would be down to do some drafting of pretty much anything and i know some of my friends would also the one problem with doing sse though is that you have to buy individual boosters where as if you do three of the same set you can have an 8 person tournament where everyone drops like $12 and you just buy a box which has the added bonus of giving you 12 extra boosters that you can use as prizes for the tournament, i think if we are going to try to get people to draft that is by far the best way to do it

Well I am toying with the idea of maybe buying a box of Shadowmoor and Eventide after arriving at Seattle. What I was thinking was, we can do drafts for $12, each person gets 3 packs + 1 pack into the prize pot (coming out to $3 a pack); we can determine how the pot is split however is most agreeable to everyone. HOWEVER, the only way I will do that is if I can get enough confirmed interest from the forums before I do. I don't want to repeat last year's experience of carrying around 2 boxes worth of boosters all weekend long for no reason >_<

salian on
    PAX Prime 2011 Omeganaut
  • Options
    wetzelcoatlwetzelcoatl Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    i think it will be easier to generate interest once the schedule is announced, i am comming with i think 9 other people most of whom would be interested in drafting its just a matter of finding a block of time where there isn't somthing else people want to do is going on

wetzelcoatl on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    That was what I was thinking too. I'd love to do it but I need to get my schedule of what game companies I am meeting at what time and if I have any industry parties to attend and whatnot.

atiari on
  • Options
    QixQix Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ive only even done one draft. Back a week before Ice Age came out. I sold most my cards, (stupid kid) But kept a lot of rares in a binder from Arabian nights, beta, legends, to 4th ed. I quit before fifth when 98% of my deck had become illegal just to force me to buy new cards.

Might me fun to do a draft with new cards i've never heard of.

Qix on
  • Options
    Grooveman23Grooveman23 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I would be interested in a draft, but like most others, I would have to know what im going to be doing before I get around to playing.

Grooveman23 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    All hail the Hypno-Spode!
  • Options
    WhytmageWhytmage Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I started and stopped playing with Time Spiral, but had enough time (and money) in it to build a couple of decks.

I would be down for playing, but the only draft I've ever done is Fantasy Baseball, so I would be USCWOAP.

Whytmage on
    :!!: Current Addiction: World of Warcraft
    :!!: Progress: My mage can kick your mage's ass. My hunter can kick your mage's ass, and I'm positive my Shadow Priest can kick your mage's ass also.
  • Options
    proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'd quite possibly be up for a draft, depending on the scheduling

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Johnny5Johnny5 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    EVE-EVE-EVE would be a good draft option. It is a small set (only 150 cards). Easier to get multiples of cards from drafting. Plus it be easier for people who haven't played in a while. There are new rules for both SHA and EVE, so those people would only have to worry about getting up to speed with one set of the block.

Johnny5 on
  • Options
    faitsfaits a panda eating cake seattleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I haven't played magic in probably 10 years (the last sealed deck draft thing I did was wrath cycle), but I'd definitely be interested in something like this. Just not during the concerts.

faits on
    faits.png
  • Options
    Grooveman23Grooveman23 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah lets play some Eventide. I got some cool cards from that.

Grooveman23 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    All hail the Hypno-Spode!
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    If I get to PAX, I am down for this completely... I haven't gotten any cards from Eventide yet, but the set looks really good.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    LhetLhet Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I hate to say this, but triple small sets is a bit bad (especially eventide). normally it's bearable, but with eventide's mimics and god enchantments kinda takes a lot away from what drafting should be.

I'd really suggest SHM SHM EVE.
    (Or, if the swag bags contain 10th or something again, we could just draft that)

Lhet on
  • Options
    ThePimpImpThePimpImp Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Triple Eventide is a terrible format, I thought Triple Morningtide was bad, but bah.

Wizards should pay attention to this and get a room to run 8 mans, or just do them at their booth. I know they are promoting tenth because it is the entry level product (until the changes the come in with shards of alara come into effect), but SSE will be alot more fun, because it allows for some color craziness (yay hybrid).

I'm going to assume that I'll be playing no magic at pax, since I'm in BYOC already and there is alot mroe to see this year, that and I play regularly (was just in seattle this weekend for a block PTQ). If wizards ran a tournament with some cool prize (maybe a trip to a pt/gp/gameshow or somewhere else, not just product) I would be more inclined to play. If they made it limited all people would have to do is show up too.

ThePimpImp on
  • Options
    DraknodredDraknodred Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'll be down for magic even if it's not a draft, I'm going to bring my deck anyways just in case!

Draknodred on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Triple Eventide is the worst format to draft, ever. I played against a friend at an FNM, and he never hit 3 mana, yet he beat me. Here are his plays:

t1 island go
    t2 island shorecrasher mimic go
    t3 shorecrasher mimic, bash 5, go
    t4 shorecrasher mimic, bash 10, go
    t5 favor of the overbeing, bash for 17, gg

That right there, is the very definition of a bad draft format. SSE only is what I plan on doing, and I hope the WotC booth does the same. 10th is too boring.

salian on
    PAX Prime 2011 Omeganaut
  • Options
    teopehtteopeht Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    me and my friend would be interested in drafting magic in whatever format is available. we'll be bringing our decks as well for some random games.

teopeht on
    Ravenclaw fo lyfe.
  • Options
    LusLus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Count me in for any SHM/SHM/EVE drafts. I vote no triple eve drafts, as its horrible.

I'll be hanging around the Wizards room they had good prize support last year even if it is 10th sealed.

Lus on
This discussion has been closed.