Options

Game Technologies I'd like to see.

• Options
    The Lord of HatsThe Lord of Hats Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Dixon wrote: »
    I mean, it's pretty easily possible, but the real question is... why?

So you know what's going on behind you. Why not?

Mostly just because I can't think of any in-game justification that wouldn't sound really cheesy.

And really, how much would it add to the game?

FALSE EDIT: And where on the screen would be 'behind' you?

The Lord of Hats on
  • Options
    ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I want a game where you start at any scale you choose, and it's a fighting game and you get progressively smaller or larger as time passes, so you could be fighting in a room and you grow larger and larger (well, you and your enemy) and break through the ceiling and soon it's like Godzilla or some shit where you're using buildings as clubs and after that you are soon large enough to throw planets at each other or suck energy from the sun and soon galaxies are your weapons or maybe you start at a molecular level or get smaller so you use pencils as weapons.

Think about it

I was so excited I didn't use any periods.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Dusda wrote: »
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    Dwarf Fortress?

For the umpteenth time, it doesn't count in the general scheme of things because most people won't play a game that looks as legible as this:

matrix.jpg

But the people on the Nebuchednezzar understood it perfectly.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

on a scale from 0-100, where 0 is the left side of the screen and 100 is the right, 25 and 75, if I'm visualizing it properly. It may also be 0 and 100, I suppose. :edit: actually, thinking a bit more on the matter, I think 0 & 100 is the right one, 25 and 75 is for something like 720, which would be REALLY nutty.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    RiffingtonRiffington Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Mostly just because I can't think of any in-game justification that wouldn't sound really cheesy.

And really, how much would it add to the game?

In-game justification: it's a feature in your helmet. Example? Mandalorian armor.

Not sure exactly how much it would add to the game, really.

"Behind" you is the extreme left and right, depending on if it's more on your left or right.

REAL EDIT: On Neophyte's scale, directly left is 25, directly right is 75.

Riffington on
    234x60anim.gif
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    wow that was simply amazing. They need to make that into either an FPS or a dragon ball z game. I know that sounds pretty weird, but imagine fighting in dense city throwing the enemy through like 4 buildings and just watching that unfold. The computer you would need for that would be atrocious though, there was slow down in there footage reel there and most of that wasn't textured or had shadows and light.

With current next generation Graphics cards getting more and more powerful and using the GPU to caclulate physics with CUDA I can see this kind of stuff happening fairly soon.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    wow that was simply amazing. They need to make that into either an FPS or a dragon ball z game. I know that sounds pretty weird, but imagine fighting in dense city throwing the enemy through like 4 buildings and just watching that unfold. The computer you would need for that would be atrocious though, there was slow down in there footage reel there and most of that wasn't textured or had shadows and light.

With current next generation Graphics cards getting more and more powerful and using the GPU to caclulate physics with CUDA I can see this kind of stuff happening fairly soon.

I hope so the only thing that seemed off thinking about was the impact points. It seemed like instead of a flast surface hitting the said wall it was a board with lots of tiny needle points. It's kind of hard to explain, but everything seemed to splinter to much

Still though it was quite amazing and I can't wait for it

Dixon on
  • Options
    Typhus733Typhus733 Yip! Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Okay, with the 360 vision thing....couldn't that just be 3rd person and save my head from breaking? I'm not really wrapping my head around how that would look very well.

Typhus733 on
  • Options
    ParkingtigersParkingtigers Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    ilmmad wrote: »
    I want a game where you start at any scale you choose, and it's a fighting game and you get progressively smaller or larger as time passes, so you could be fighting in a room and you grow larger and larger (well, you and your enemy) and break through the ceiling and soon it's like Godzilla or some shit where you're using buildings as clubs and after that you are soon large enough to throw planets at each other or suck energy from the sun and soon galaxies are your weapons or maybe you start at a molecular level or get smaller so you use pencils as weapons.

Think about it

I want this game.

Parkingtigers on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] sig.gif
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited July 2008
    One day I am hoping for a war game, battlefield style with vehicles and infantry, that has a truly destructible environment. That would make multiplayer sessions so incredibly different every time. The amount of network traffic alone would be a big bottleneck today, let alone the actual destruction technologies.

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Riffington wrote: »
    I mean the area in a complete circle around the character represented on a standard television.

Hello, Nausea.

I suspect you could try this in UTClassic by editing the ini and increasing the view angle... or whatever that setting's called. It's the setthing you manually alter to run UT on Widescreen monitors.

I do not have Unreal Tournament. Is it possible to increase the view angle in the Morrowind construction set?

Riffington on
    234x60anim.gif
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Triton wrote: »
    sabyul wrote: »
    In terms of animation, I want to see emotion involved in the motions. Characters in games have run cycles, for example. Games would be great if they had different cycles for running into battle, running away from battle, running to try to save a loved one, running away from a natural disaster, etc. In Gears of War, there ought to be different animation for reloading, active reloading and ALMOST getting it right, active reloading and totally missing it, and such. The new Brothers in Arms game seems to be doing some of this with the main character's reactions while being shot at, but many of the more basic anims in that game don't look very good at all.

This is an interesting idea.

A friend of mine that worked on Blue Dragon as an animator told me that the main character has different base animation sets according to his age as he progresses through the game. That sounded pretty cool too and is somewhat similar to what you are suggesting.

A botched active reload in GoW adds a bit to the animation, to cover the increase in the reload time as your guy tries to clear the jam.

Arrath on
  • Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I mean the area in a complete circle around the character represented on a standard television.

Hello, Nausea.

I suspect you could try this in UTClassic by editing the ini and increasing the view angle... or whatever that setting's called. It's the setthing you manually alter to run UT on Widescreen monitors.

I do not have Unreal Tournament. Is it possible to increase the view angle in the Morrowind construction set?

Oh, so you are a pro Quake player are ya?

http://strlen.com/gfxengine/fisheyequake/compare.html

dm4_0250.jpg

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    That is disorienting, but it includes the top and bottom fields of view. I'm thinking more a panoramic composite of everything you would see if you turned completely around.

Riffington on
    234x60anim.gif
  • Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    That is disorienting, but it includes the top and bottom fields of view. I'm thinking more a panoramic composite of everything you would see if you turned completely around.

There is this, but I doubt they've got it working for Morrowind.

http://wouter.fov120.com/gfxengine/panquake/shots.html

quake01.jpg

They even got it on Quake 2:

panq2.jpg

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I concede. That first picture looks like a surrealist drawing.

Riffington on
    234x60anim.gif
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh dear god that would make me so sick

Dixon on
  • Options
    Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wow... instant Escher.

Rigor Mortis on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Now that we're through with that...
    bombardier wrote: »
    One day I am hoping for a war game, battlefield style with vehicles and infantry, that has a truly destructible environment. That would make multiplayer sessions so incredibly different every time. The amount of network traffic alone would be a big bottleneck today, let alone the actual destruction technologies.

Didn't you just describe the upcoming Red Faction?

Riffington on
    234x60anim.gif
  • Options
    InitialDKInitialDK Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Think about it

I want this game.

Katamari Damashii + Gurren Lagann?

InitialDK on
    "I'd happily trade your life for knowledge of my powers."
    -Louis C.K.
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Upcoming Red Faction?

Another Red Faction game with big mutiplayer sessions, where, christ, where?!

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    RoxtarRoxtar Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Total interaction with the environment. I know some games are striving for it and alot are becoming closer and closer. But many actions you could possibly do in real life if in an FPS game...
    Examples: Gun out of ammo, whip it at their face.
    Pick up sand and throw it in someones face.
    Light multiple fires in the grass and just let them burn.
    Grab a fork and stab someone.
    knock over bookshelves and whatnot to create barricades.
    Etc. Etc.

I am pretty sure this is what games will be gunning for.

Roxtar on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Fandyien wrote: »

Upcoming Red Faction?

Another Red Faction game with big mutiplayer sessions, where, christ, where?!

I missed the "multiplayer" thing in there. I can't find anything to confirm or deny the existence of multiplayer in Red Faction 3.

Riffington on
    234x60anim.gif
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Willeth wrote: »
    Pipe dream though it may be, I want to see a (somewhat) realistic simulation of injury. I mean as in, each monster having a defined muscular system, and if you deliver a blow to, for instance, the leg, you'll have seriously screwed up the body there, and the monster is going to basically collapse when it tries to put weight on the limb, and afterwards it has to try and get around without it.

It'd add some strategy beyond 'hit it until it's dead'.

Yahtzee posited something like this a couple of years ago. It was very rudimentary (each limb has a certain amount of hitpoints, and each of those limbs is governed by what it's connected to), but people are thinking about it.

Euphoria does something like this, but not quite.

Deus Ex did this for the main character, at least. If you got shot a few too many times in the leg, you'd move much more slowly. If you got both legs filled with lead, you'd have to crawl everywhere. Head and torso shots would just kill you, though (with enough damage).

Delzhand on
  • Options
    ZoldenZolden Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Willeth wrote: »
    1 is already kind of possible, just not on anything most people have.
    2 is getting very close - look into the Euphoria tech demos and how it's used in GTA/Force Unleashed.
    3 - you do not necessarily want to see this. More people does not mean more fun.

I must disagree on 3.

Tribes 2 still to this day was the biggest battlefield I've played... 64 people usually, but when there were 100... jesus.

I'd really, truly love to see a 'battlefield' or tribes style game that had tribes 2 sized maps with about 200+ people. If it could be worked out in netcode I feel as though it'd be intense. Or even revert back to WWII, the beaches of normandy in a complete invasian scale... or imagine having it big enough to where paratroopers are dropping in to destroy the guns in carentan firing on utah when the beach landings happened.

Zolden on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    A fighting game utilizing Euphoria.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    wabbitehwabbiteh Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    exoplasm wrote: »

Hello, Nausea.

Oh, so you are a pro Quake player are ya?

http://strlen.com/gfxengine/fisheyequake/compare.html

http://strlen.com/files/pix/ssf/dm4_0250.jpg

Something I've always wanted in Freespace 2 was to have a regular gameplay view in the centre of the screen taking up around 80% of screen real estate. The border would be an (extremely distorted) high-fov image, to simulate peripheral vision. It wouldn't be enough to really see what was going on, but you'd have some idea of where enemy ships were to the sides of you.

I never really thought of it as a way to simulate peripheral vision, but it just happens to turn out working that way.

It's almost enough to make me want to look through the FS2 source code.

wabbiteh on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ashendark wrote: »
    I'd like to see better object interaction. i.e no clipping, models holding object weirdly, etc.

Dynamic changes to textures. Wet, damaged, blood, tears etc..

Better shadows. The dithered shadow effect i've been seeing a lot of lately needs to be fixed/improved what ever. The shadows in Mass Effect & GTA4 are good examples of this.

A lot of the interaction stuff really can't be done because it would require way too much effort, both in terms of computing as well as actual programing/art work for such a small improvement.

Uncharted does a really nice "wet" effect after you go swimming, so stuff like that is definately possible right now (though damage will probably have to wait for more physics power)

Shadows are clearly a horsepower limitation, for what it's worth, the shadows in the PC version of ME were a lot better. Again, soft shadows are one of the things that're nice to have, but usually judged to not be worth the drawbacks to fully implement yet.

What I'd really like is for the existing DX10 effects to have more impact on real gameplay, eg. the physical soft particles in stalker:clear sky, or all the neat tricks which geometry shaders allow for.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    InitialDK wrote: »

Think about it

I want this game.

Katamari Damashii + Gurren Lagann?

Yeah, Katamari was in my mind when I thought this up in math class the last day of school last year.

It would be awesome.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Sounds like a potential Hulk game feature.

Riffington on
    234x60anim.gif
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Virtual blocks, simulating atoms only slightly... bigger, that are used to create every object IN-GAME. With different properties of detachedment and ability to absord damage before being broken off.

In other words, TRUE destructiblity.

Yeah I know what you're saying...

We're getting there slowly

I see your concept video and raise you DMM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z734GXypSwk

There's a better DMM video out there somewhere, with different kinds of materials reacting differently depending on where they get hit, how hard, etc. I can't find it, though.

freakish light on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2008
    I want to see true 3D, but any good games for that might have to wait until we get 3D TVs.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Elki wrote: »
    I want to see true 3D, but any good games for that might have to wait until we get 3D TVs.

800px-Plastic_3D_glasses.jpg

freakish light on
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    artoo wrote: »
    2. Muscle and Bone Simulation. Animation still has a long way to go in games, I think this would help alot. In games everyones arms are very rigid, but check out the scene in The Incredibles where Mr Incredible is lifting weights with the trains. Notice that they simulate his muscles so you can see them expand and contract.

Also, it would lead to a new level of gore. Think about tearing someone apart dynamically with a shotgun. *shudder*

- I'd like to see the human body and it's functions simulated on a basic level, ie a vascular system (bleeding), nervous system (pain, reactions, etc), respiratory system (breathing, airways, etc), sensory systems (eyesight, hearing, talking, touch, etc), a skeletal structure, and AI that allows for fear and panic reactions.

Gore, sure, but it would take tactical shooters (Swat) to a whole new level.

- A Dwarf Fortress version with proper 2D graphics.

- A tactical Xcom-style game in an isometric Marble Madness environment.

- A highly realistic tactical Swat-style shooter that pits your team against the occult and mythical monsters, vampires, zombies, werewolves, etc. You don't have any magical powers, just guns, tactics, and your wits. F.E.A.R doesn't count.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Persistant bodies and decals.

The first UT had a mod where you could tell it to let all bodies and decals (ie blast marks, bullet holes, blood stains, etc) stay and not fade away, like they normally do. Eventually this would cause black smoke to come out of your system, but it made a huge difference to the experience.

It felt like you actually had an impact on the game world, even though no geometry was changed. It's difficult to explain, but it changed everything and we really should have the technology to do this today.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    1. A game that feels more natural through making the vision more organic. As in, watching at an object for a longer time will make it look sharper, while hastily looking around is more blurry.

2. A wii-mote attached to every finger so you can litteraly crush things ^_^.

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I see your concept video and raise you DMM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z734GXypSwk

There's a better DMM video out there somewhere, with different kinds of materials reacting differently depending on where they get hit, how hard, etc. I can't find it, though.

Yeah Digital Molecular matter is pretty good stuff.

I believe the best video to see is the Star Wars Unleased trailers that are popping up everywhere.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    That's probably the one I wanted to link, but I need more work on my google-fu.

freakish light on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    yeah basically a game with fully rendered bones

so you can break a guy's leg off

Nuzak on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Nuzak wrote: »
    yeah basically a game with fully rendered bones