Options

Game Technologies I'd like to see.

artooartoo Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Games and Technology
I was thinking how graphics / gameplay might change in the next gen... Here is some things I'd like to see.

1. Liquid Simulation. (In 3d, not 2d. Don't link falling sand. :P) This would be totally awesome, like being inside of a boat when it sinks. Or Portal with water puzzles. Or a god game where you could control the water and lava to kill your people. :lol:

2. Muscle and Bone Simulation. Animation still has a long way to go in games, I think this would help alot. In games everyones arms are very rigid, but check out the scene in The Incredibles where Mr Incredible is lifting weights with the trains. Notice that they simulate his muscles so you can see them expand and contract.

Also, it would lead to a new level of gore. Think about tearing someone apart dynamically with a shotgun. *shudder*

3. More Enemies. I want to see an FPS with 500 players online on a huge map. AWESOME.

Any things that you want to see in games?

artoo on

• Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    1 is already kind of possible, just not on anything most people have.
    2 is getting very close - look into the Euphoria tech demos and how it's used in GTA/Force Unleashed.
    3 - you do not necessarily want to see this. More people does not mean more fun.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    AshendarkAshendark Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'd like to see better object interaction. i.e no clipping, models holding object weirdly, etc.

Dynamic changes to textures. Wet, damaged, blood, tears etc..

Better shadows. The dithered shadow effect i've been seeing a lot of lately needs to be fixed/improved what ever. The shadows in Mass Effect & GTA4 are good examples of this.

Ashendark on
    Ashendark.gif
  • Options
    CaffeinatedGuyCaffeinatedGuy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It looks like the unreal guys are getting close to all the things you talked about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m4pe6UAS2M

Now hopefully we will see some cool games made with it besides GOW of course.

CaffeinatedGuy on
    brick_bow_banner.png
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ashendark wrote: »
    I'd like to see better object interaction. i.e no clipping, models holding object weirdly, etc.

Dynamic changes to textures. Wet, damaged, blood, tears etc..

Better shadows. The dithered shadow effect i've been seeing a lot of lately needs to be fixed/improved what ever. The shadows in Mass Effect & GTA4 are good examples of this.
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky is doing dynamic wet textures. Rainmapping, I believe they call it. It looks fantastic from the little of it they've shown.

Monger on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    wow, that video just made me excited for GOW2

tyrannus on
  • Options
    sabyulsabyul Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Dead or Alive has been animating muscle contractions since DOA3. Easiest to see I think on Jann Lee's arms and Lei Fang's thighs (her quadriceps divide vertically when twisting very convincingly). But no one wants to acknowledge that they appreciate any of the anatomical study in those games...

In terms of animation, I want to see emotion involved in the motions. Characters in games have run cycles, for example. Games would be great if they had different cycles for running into battle, running away from battle, running to try to save a loved one, running away from a natural disaster, etc. In Gears of War, there ought to be different animation for reloading, active reloading and ALMOST getting it right, active reloading and totally missing it, and such. The new Brothers in Arms game seems to be doing some of this with the main character's reactions while being shot at, but many of the more basic anims in that game don't look very good at all.

sabyul on
    http://www.frame-advantage.com - Specializing in high quality fighting game video content
  • Options
    The Lord of HatsThe Lord of Hats Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Pipe dream though it may be, I want to see a (somewhat) realistic simulation of injury. I mean as in, each monster having a defined muscular system, and if you deliver a blow to, for instance, the leg, you'll have seriously screwed up the body there, and the monster is going to basically collapse when it tries to put weight on the limb, and afterwards it has to try and get around without it.

It'd add some strategy beyond 'hit it until it's dead'.

The Lord of Hats on
  • Options
    Spoom182Spoom182 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I think something like that is going to be a big part of combat in Fallout 3.

Spoom182 on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Pipe dream though it may be, I want to see a (somewhat) realistic simulation of injury. I mean as in, each monster having a defined muscular system, and if you deliver a blow to, for instance, the leg, you'll have seriously screwed up the body there, and the monster is going to basically collapse when it tries to put weight on the limb, and afterwards it has to try and get around without it.

It'd add some strategy beyond 'hit it until it's dead'.

Yahtzee posited something like this a couple of years ago. It was very rudimentary (each limb has a certain amount of hitpoints, and each of those limbs is governed by what it's connected to), but people are thinking about it.

Euphoria does something like this, but not quite.

Willeth on
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Dwarf Fortress?

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    Dwarf Fortress?

For the umpteenth time, it doesn't count in the general scheme of things because most people won't play a game that looks as legible as this:

matrix.jpg

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    artoo wrote: »
    a god game where you could control the water and lava to kill your people.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    FirebrandFirebrand Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    1. Liquid Simulation. (In 3d, not 2d. Don't link falling sand. :P) This would be totally awesome, like being inside of a boat when it sinks. Or Portal with water puzzles. Or a god game where you could control the water and lava to kill your people. :lol:

Hydrophobia? http://www.bladeinteractive.com/hydro.html

Firebrand on
  • Options
    GrudgeGrudge blessed is the mind too small for doubtRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I want to see hands gripping objects in a convincing, realistic ways.

As someone else said, better object interaction.

Grudge on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Your face on game avatars, I mean how amazing would it be to use a scan of your honest to god head/body in a games multiplayer, and see all your allies as the same. It’d be awesome and we totally have the technology to do it, hell I remember my family trying it out at the millennium dome and blowing my brother away in quake. There was a big buzz about it at the time. Seriously game companies, what the hell happened to it? I haven’t heard anything in a number of years. You've had almost a decade guys, that's practically a historical era in technology.

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Leitner wrote: »
    Your face on game avatars, I mean how amazing would it be to use a scan of your honest to god head/body in a games multiplayer, and see all your allies as the same. It’d be awesome and we totally have the technology to do it, hell I remember my family trying it out at the millennium dome and blowing my brother away in quake. There was a big buzz about it at the time. Seriously game companies, what the hell happened to it? I haven’t heard anything in a number of years. You've had almost a decade guys, that's practically a historical era in technology.

Rainbow Six Vegas does this.

Willeth on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    a god game where you could control the water and lava to kill your people.

Welcome to populous.
    Circa 1990.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Grudge wrote: »
    I want to see hands gripping objects in a convincing, realistic ways.

As someone else said, better object interaction.
    Haptic controllers?

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    GalielmusGalielmus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Haha that's a good idea - I'm going to take a picture of my face and put it on my character in Mount&Blade. Unfortunately, since face skins are shared, I think that means something like 1/10th the rest of the population in the game will also have my face... but I suppose I have no problem with burying an axe into my face.

Galielmus on
  • Options
    TritonTriton Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    sabyul wrote: »
    In terms of animation, I want to see emotion involved in the motions. Characters in games have run cycles, for example. Games would be great if they had different cycles for running into battle, running away from battle, running to try to save a loved one, running away from a natural disaster, etc. In Gears of War, there ought to be different animation for reloading, active reloading and ALMOST getting it right, active reloading and totally missing it, and such. The new Brothers in Arms game seems to be doing some of this with the main character's reactions while being shot at, but many of the more basic anims in that game don't look very good at all.

This is an interesting idea.

A friend of mine that worked on Blue Dragon as an animator told me that the main character has different base animation sets according to his age as he progresses through the game. That sounded pretty cool too and is somewhat similar to what you are suggesting.

Triton on
    I like to make games.
    Personal Site - http://www.guilezero.com
    Blog - http://www.gmixer.com
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Virtual blocks, simulating atoms only slightly... bigger, that are used to create every object IN-GAME. With different properties of detachedment and ability to absord damage before being broken off.

In other words, TRUE destructiblity.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I still think lip syncing needs some work. I've been playing through MGS 4, and while the game generally looks fantastic during conversations (the eyes are especially well done), it still looks awkward as hell when someone whimpers or breathes, 'cause the lips are completely static if they open their mouths when they're not talking.

I'd also like to see a system that makes clipping impossible, since two characters that are physically interacting with each other looks awkward and unwieldy, presumably to avoid clipping issues.

Movement in general still looks unnatural, however, with the advances in graphics. I think there's too much of a reliance on motion capture. Most of the time it doesn't fit the graphics at all, especially if the characters are wearing heavy armour or other gear. Take a look at the Haze intro; questionable graphics and dialogue aside, it's a perfect example of how stupid motion capturing can look sometimes. The characters move like the fucking ninja turtles from the first movie.

Hair, of course, has also yet to be perfected. But that might take a while.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Virtual blocks, simulating atoms only slightly... bigger, that are used to create every object IN-GAME. With different properties of detachedment and ability to absord damage before being broken off.

Yeah I know what you're saying...

We're getting there slowly

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Waka Laka wrote: »

wow that was simply amazing. They need to make that into either an FPS or a dragon ball z game. I know that sounds pretty weird, but imagine fighting in dense city throwing the enemy through like 4 buildings and just watching that unfold. The computer you would need for that would be atrocious though, there was slow down in there footage reel there and most of that wasn't textured or had shadows and light.

Dixon on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Waka Laka wrote: »

Haha, YES.

One day, one day...

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Willeth wrote: »

Rainbow Six Vegas does this.

The Tony Hawk series did it some years ago. Don't know if they do it anymore. The last one I played was a review copy of THUG.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It's been mentioned before in a similar thread, but I'd like to see the technology to record voice sets using only a core program and a script. Imagine how much damn talking you could have in a game once we develop text-to-speech that (a) can pass for different people of different genders and (b) doesn't sound like a depressed robot.

Also, that destruction video is awesome.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Rare was promising Facial Mapping with Perfect Dark N64 back in the day, if I recall correctly. They claimed that they removed the feature due to concerns that it could be blamed if anyone at a later point complained that playing PD led/encouraged murder. I think they were right that they would be blamed, but whether or not they should have taken it out all the same is another question

The below passage is from the BBC news site from back in the day, near the bottom, talking about GB camera peripherial

More interestingly, the Game Boy Camera enables one to take rather rough-looking photographs, mess about with them, and incorporate them in some (pretty basic) games. The accompanying Game Boy Printer can print out stickers depicting the photographs, or images contained in compatible games. The software developers Rare developed a system whereby a photograph of a person's face, taken with a Game Boy Camera, could be transferred to a Nintendo 64 using the Transfer Pak [sic] device and applied to the face of a multiplayer character in the game Perfect Dark, thus enabling people to play as themselves in-game; unfortunately, the system was removed from the game during development when it was realised that, if some murderer was found to have been playing Perfect Dark with likenesses of his or her victims, the repercussions from the media would be, to put it mildly, undesirable.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Transfer Pak [sic]

Actually, Pak is the correct speling when it comes to Nintendo products. :P

Willeth on
  • Options
    AshendarkAshendark Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Transfer Pak [sic]

Yes, hence [sic] after it indicates as such.

Ashendark on
    Ashendark.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Ashendark wrote: »
    Transfer Pak [sic]

Yes, hence [sic] after it indicates as such.

Oh, was it them who added the sic? I thought it was Kalk. :P

Also, I managed to get the spelling of 'spelling' wrong.

Willeth on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Well note that this was from the BBC, not myself, so I make no undertakings as to spelling or the like!

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    RiffingtonRiffington Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    360 degree vision in a FPS.
    This would, of course, be only for postmodern games, but still...

Riffington on
    234x60anim.gif
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Riffington wrote: »
    360 degree vision in a FPS.
    This would, of course, be only for postmodern games, but still...
    Do you mean screens arranged in a complete circle all around the player? It's been done before using modded quake but I can't find the video on youtube.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I mean the area in a complete circle around the character represented on a standard television.

Riffington on
    234x60anim.gif
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I mean the area in a complete circle around the character represented on a standard television.

That would be terribly disorienting, 360 panoramic view...that would suck

Dixon on
  • Options
    The Lord of HatsThe Lord of Hats Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I mean, it's pretty easily possible, but the real question is... why?

The Lord of Hats on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Dixon wrote: »

It would work basically the same as any other game screen, except everything would be skinnier and halls would look freaky. Stuff on your left is still on your left and stuff on your right is still on your right.

So you know what's going on behind you. Why not?

Riffington on
    234x60anim.gif
  • Options
    Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Hello, Nausea.

I suspect you could try this in UTClassic by editing the ini and increasing the view angle... or whatever that setting's called. It's the setthing you manually alter to run UT on Widescreen monitors.

Rigor Mortis on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Dixon wrote: »

It would work basically the same as any other game screen, except everything would be skinnier and halls would look freaky. Stuff on your left is still on your left and stuff on your right is still on your right.

So you know what's going on behind you. Why not?

Are you... are you serious?

Willeth on