As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

360 Sku's (Op updated): Rumour -- 199 Arcade SKU with Motion Controller Packed In

• Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It would be nice if Sony followed suit. I'd really like to buy a PS3 before the PS4 drops.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Well, would you look at that.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    Richiter_BelmontRichiter_Belmont Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ranced wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Oh, and when my 360 croaked Microsoft somehow got mine back in less than a week after I sent it in. I've heard people had worse experiences, though. YMMV.

The month long waits are over. It's back to the usual one week or so.

It only took so long before because everyone decided to take advantage of the 3 year warranty.

It took my brother's xbox 360 two and a half months to return, he is now terrified to turn it on for more than 15 minutes.

Richiter_Belmont on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Lunker wrote: »
    Bumping with an update: The good lads at CheapAssGamer, who broke the PS3 price drop last year, have indeed confirmed that Circuit City and Target ads have the 360 Premium listed at $300 for the week of July 13. This is added to the Best Buy, KMart and Radio Shack ads carrying it for the same price that week. And if you buy at Target, you also get a $25 gift card!

I guess we know what Microsoft's E3 conference capper is going to be. I'm still not convinced of the purported new 60GB 360 model, but stranger things have happened.

It makes sense in that it let's them keep the price high, retain their margins, whilst seemingly offering better value.

Rook on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    slash000 wrote: »
    What's the word on reliability of these things?

Seriously, I'd already have a 360 if I were convinced that the system's hardware was as reliable as the PS3 or Wii's. The whole RROD thing still bothers me.

Every person I've ever met that owns a 360 (even people I don't really know that well) has had theirs die at least once.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My 360 from two and a half years ago hasn\'t died or really had any problems at all.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Seriously, I'd already have a 360 if I were convinced that the system's hardware was as reliable as the PS3 or Wii's. The whole RROD thing still bothers me.

Every person I've ever met that owns a 360 (even people I don't really know that well) has had theirs die at least once.

As a counter, the majority of people I know with one haven't had any problems. That's not to say some of them haven't, but overall the quality seems to be improving with later hardware revisions.

I may just be lucky though, my launch day Wii and several year old PS2 are still going strong.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I've heard fairly reliable rumors from multiple sources that this is a temporary price cut, ala the Playstation 3 with its last round of SKUs, but we'll see.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    stryker116 wrote: »

As a counter, the majority of people I know with one haven't had any problems. That's not to say some of them haven't, but overall the quality seems to be improving with later hardware revisions.

I may just be lucky though, my launch day Wii and several year old PS2 are still going strong.

How late in terms of hardware revisions? I got my 360 in April of '07 (for GHII) and it died in April of '08. A friend got his Halo 3 360 when they first became available and his died about a month ago.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Well, to continue the anecdotal evidence of nothing much, my co-worker has a launch 360 that still works fine. I've had mine since Christmas and it's fine. And when I bought Mass Effect I did a couple of 8 hour marathon sessions, because goddamn.

Rock Band with friends, too. In fact, out of everyone I even vaguely know who has a 360, only one had the RRoD happen.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Six wrote: »
    My 360 from two and a half years ago hasn\'t died or really had any problems at all.

Same here... I have a launch unit that still runs great. Doesn't mean I'm not tempted to run it covered in a towel so I can take advantage of the warranty, but I'm also not a dick.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    My 360 from two and a half years ago hasn\\\'t died or really had any problems at all.

Same here... I have a launch unit that still runs great. Doesn\'t mean I\'m not tempted to run it covered in a towel so I can take advantage of the warranty, but I\'m also not a dick.

I\'ve considered it, but it hasn\'t seemed worth the effort.

Six on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    My 360 from two and a half years ago hasn\\\'t died or really had any problems at all.

Same here... I have a launch unit that still runs great. Doesn\'t mean I\'m not tempted to run it covered in a towel so I can take advantage of the warranty, but I\'m also not a dick.

I\'ve considered it, but it hasn\'t seemed worth the effort.

My first 360 (purchased a month to the day after launch) crapped out back in August of last year. The video output died, and so I tried to get it to RRoD so I'd get it fixed for free. The towel trick didn't work for me. The fuckin' thing just shut itself off, no red ring to be found.

Triple B on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    That sounds annoying, to be sure.

I don\'t like the idea that I\'m using a 360 that has a significant defect that may blow at any moment, but I like even less trying to kill it, dealing with sending it back, and then having to deal with all of my downloaded stuff not working if I\'m offline.

Six on
  • Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I have a premium and it's never died on me.

and slash I believe if the box has the HDMI emblem on the back of it (we're talking premium edition here), then it is the new one.

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

and slash I believe if the box has the HDMI emblem on the back of it (we're talking premium edition here), then it is the new one.

There are HDMI ones that are not the newest chipset. The way to tell is by looking at the power supply - if it's 175W, it's the newer chipset, the older one is 202 or something like that. The funny part is the box may not actually match (probably because they pulled some of the older ones) - the one I bought said 202 on the box, but the unit itself was actually one with the newer chipset and 175W power supply.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

stryker116 wrote: »

There are HDMI ones that are not the newest chipset. The way to tell is by looking at the power supply - if it's 175W, it's the newer chipset, the older one is 202 or something like that. The funny part is the box may not actually match (probably because they pulled some of the older ones) - the one I bought said 202 on the box, but the unit itself was actually one with the newer chipset and 175W power supply.

Oish. See, now, that is confusing.

The new ones may or may not have HDMI.

And the new ones should say 175W but may or may not turn out to be the new, 175W ones when you open it.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I have a question about the falcon chipsets. They take 175w, this I know. Thing is, I got my current 360 repaired under warranty for a busted DVD drive. It was one of the older chipsets, so it took a different power supply. I think they sent me back a Falcon, so it would need a 175w power supply. My question is, will the old power supply work with the new chipset?

Triple B on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If the 360 is anything like a PC with a standard power supply, then it's not a big deal that the power supply is capable of greater wattage than the system actually uses. The system will just end up using as many watts as it needs and the rest of the potential watts that the power supply could use simply go unused.

So I would figure that it would be okay.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    If the 360 is anything like a PC with a standard power supply, then it's not a big deal that the power supply is capable of greater wattage than the system actually uses. The system will just end up using as many watts as it needs and the rest of the potential watts that the power supply could use simply go unused.

So I would figure that it would be okay.

This is exactly what I was figuring/hoping. It's probably a given that Microsoft has taken that into account when they send someone back a Falcon who had previously owned one of the older chipsets.

Triple B on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My Core model has been working great, aside from a handful of DREs I've been getting (typically on Dead Rising, which sucks because the game's save system makes it the worst target for such errors) and the fact that it's as loud as a train. I secretly hope mine red-rings at some point so I can send it in for repairs before the three-year warranty ends, which for me is July 09.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Re: Power supplies

For lower power uses, the capability of a more powerful brick goes unused. The extra power is never drawn from the supply. Most power supplies become less efficient as more power is drawn, so if Microsoft cheaped out on the newer low power supply, having a more powerful supply might even be a good thing as it might use less electricity and generates less heat.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    PlacerPlacer Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I had a launch box that died last year, microsoft sent me a new one, what kind of warranty do i have on the replacement? (if any)

Placer on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2008
    So I'm wondering still if this just applies to the Premium or if any of the savings will necessarily roll down or up to the Arcade/Elite?

Like, they can't possible sell the Premium for only $20 than the Arcade when the Premium has a $90 proprietary HDD, right? And a wireless controller?

Organichu on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Organichu wrote: »
    So I'm wondering still if this just applies to the Premium or if any of the savings will necessarily roll down or up to the Arcade/Elite?

Like, they can't possible sell the Premium for only $20 than the Arcade when the Premium has a $90 proprietary HDD, right? And a wireless controller?

I would assume the strategy is exactly that, but re-worded. "I can pay $20 more and get all this other awesome stuff? Why the hell not?!"

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Placer wrote: »
    I had a launch box that died last year, microsoft sent me a new one, what kind of warranty do i have on the replacement? (if any)

I believe the warranty starts from the moment you bought your xbox - so while you received a replacement, it’s only covered under the original warranty. If it red rings, you still have three years from the purchase date, but for anything else you only have that first year.

I may be wrong.

Six on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    darleysam wrote: »

I would assume the strategy is exactly that, but re-worded. "I can pay $20 more and get all this other awesome stuff? Why the hell not?!"

That's not how pricing works though. They'd make less money because they're offering the same product at a lower price in the middle of the lineup without lowering the overall barrier to entry. You get few or no new customers from the move and customers who were going to buy anyway go for the product with lower margins. Microsoft is way too business savvy to allow such sub-optimal pricing.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

That's not how pricing works though. They'd make less money because they're offering the same product at a lower price in the middle of the lineup without lowering the overall barrier to entry. You get few or no new customers from the move and customers who were going to buy anyway go for the product with lower margins. Microsoft is way too business savvy to allow such sub-optimal pricing.

It seems I've been beaten by a cunning use of big words and superior knowledge.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Bring on the PS3 price drop this price drop will undoubtedly cause.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    BlackDove wrote: »

I'm sayin'.

Triple B on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

They're almost certainly going to drop the Arcade to $250 to match the Wii.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    BlackDove wrote: »

Which would be awesome.

Unfortunately, it might be that this price drop is just to clear the inventory of the 20GB, discontinue it, and introduce a 60GB at the non-dropped price, as rumors are saying.

If so, then bah.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    On a hot day my 360 sounds like a jet engine. I'd be willing to upgrade to a new model if it was quiet and had more HD space.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »

They're almost certainly going to drop the Arcade to $250 to match the Wii.

That would make perfect sense and really push Nintendo (ok, not realy) to drop the price of the Wii as well.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    Post BluePost Blue Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    On a hot day my 360 sounds like a jet engine. I'd be willing to upgrade to a new model if it was quiet and had more HD space.

It's my understanding that any reduction in the overall sound output would remain negligible unless they alter the speed or construction of the disc drive. Yes, the fans are loud, but even an elegant purr would continue to be completely buried by the deafening roar of disc access, even on the hottest days.

Post Blue on
    Moments before the wind.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I\'d be willing to upgrade to an HDMI-capable, 60gb 360 if there was a way to move my saves and dlc over that didn\'t make it unavailable offline.

Six on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    Also, I can confirm that both power supplies work with either system. I've used my brother's powerbrick, which he got with his original 360 (it has push-in tabs on the side of the plug that goes into the box itself) with my Falcon Halo 3 360 with no problems.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    That sounds annoying, to be sure.

I don\'t like the idea that I\'m using a 360 that has a significant defect that may blow at any moment, but I like even less trying to kill it, dealing with sending it back, and then having to deal with all of my downloaded stuff not working if I\'m offline.

You can transfer your liscenses over to a new 360 now, its on xbox.com, you can only do it once a year though, itl transfer every liscense over to the new 360 and then you just pick "download again" and if the content is already on your xbox itl finish downloading basically instantly and you can play it offline, I just recently did this with my Elite, my old one started being dumb so I got the Elite, its pretty sweet, doesnt make noise, big ass hard drive, I dont think itl break from what Ive heard, but yeah, I transferred my liscenses and can play all my shit offline again, (yay).

Edit: and for all you people wanting quiet, the Elite makes no noise for me, only when you choose to play the game itl make the loud start up for like...3 mins max and then go silent and you dont hear it, I love the Elite, no noise, its great.

Edit 2: And the Elite DOES have more HD space, 120 GB, (lies, its really only like 103 but even so, thats still a lot) says 120...either way, thats a shitload of space.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    I\'d be willing to upgrade to an HDMI-capable, 60gb 360 if there was a way to move my saves and dlc over that didn\'t make it unavailable offline.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/licensemigration/?WT.svl=nav

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    That’ll learn me for being out of the loop. Thanks.

Six on