As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Proms, Formals, other faux-classy school functions

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    girls on one side

guys on the other

three hours of awkward staring ensues

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    girls on one side

guys on the other

the one guy with enough balls to step out and actually talk to a girl gets made fun of

CrackedLens on
    XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    i did not go to prom

the girl i asked already had a date :(

however, i got with her in the end. ha ha!

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    girls on one side

guys on the other

This was kind of like my school's prom

except one side was the white people, and the other side the not-white people.

Seriously on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    my sophmore year, i took a senior girl whose boyfriend was overseas in the military

i dont know if he was cool with it or not

CrackedLens on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I never went to any dances

I was too awkward to ask girls to go with me

and during the two periods of time that I already had a girlfriend, neither of them had any interest in going

which is fine by me

Shorty on
  • Options
    WroobWroob Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    girls on one side

guys on the other

the one guy with enough balls to step out and actually talk to a girl gets made fun of

And i thought this only happened in movies.

Wroob on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Shorty wrote: »
    I never went to any dances

I was too awkward to ask girls to go with me

and during the two periods of time that I already had a girlfriend, neither of them had any interest in going

which is fine by me

yeah, i had the opposite

my girlfriend for my junior and senior year was a super school active cheerleader

so we had to go

CrackedLens on
  • Options
    StrayDogStrayDog Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    man, i remember back in high school, prom and homecoming were the most important shit

it had to be perfect

you had to spend this much money for it to be right

you needed to go eat here and act all grown up

i look back and laugh at how stupid i was

That's how people end up not having fun. My friends were always broken up into 3 camps.

1. The ones who tried to make it perfect and failed miserably (these would mostly be girls).
    2. The ones who wing it and have an awesome night (also, the ones with no dates).
    3. The ones who were too punk rock for school dances (or too high to get through the door).

StrayDog on
    Let me go down in the mud, where the rivers all run dry.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    StrayDog wrote: »
    man, i remember back in high school, prom and homecoming were the most important shit

it had to be perfect

That's how people end up not having fun. My friends were always broken up into 3 camps.

1. The ones who tried to make it perfect and failed miserably (these would mostly be girls).
    2. The ones who wing it and have an awesome night (also, the ones with no dates).
    3. The ones who were too punk rock for school dances (or too high to get through the door).

yeah, i was dragged into the first group

luckily, we always went out to this old farm to party afterwards

that's where i was belle of the ball

CrackedLens on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    At a formal afterparty for a few of my friends, they were drinking on a sports oval and 3 cars full of samoan gangsters turned up and bashed anyone they could catch.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

it had to be perfect

I just rented a suit 2 days beforehand, bought the ticket, and gave my friend who just turned 18 $20 towards sharing a bottle of jagermeister

this is a recipe for a good prom.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    oh man, this farm we partied at was awesome

you needed 4 wheel drive to get out to it

there were plenty of sheds and a huge barn for crashing or the sexings, or you could just put an air mattress in the back of your truck

there was a huge firepit

everybody that came out was really cool, and we policed ourselves really well so that there was not douchebaggery

CrackedLens on
  • Options
    JoonJoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I went to some of my high school dances thinking that I'd never get another chance to and I might regret it. They weren't bad but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't give a shit if I had never gone.

Joon on
    bartsig.png
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Man, my senior prom was in April.

The event itself was okay, but the dinner beforehand was a pretty good cap to my high school career.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I didn't go to a single party in high school and in retrospect I don't really regret it because most of my classmates would have sucked to party with

I still should have been more proactive about it though

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    SkylineCollapseSkylineCollapse Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    junior prom rocked. went out of town for dinner. watched my chick make out with her best friend. fairly chill dance, for a school thing, then my friends and i got our cars and raced them through the city waypoint style. S2000 vs. 300ZX Twin Turbo vs. 67 Chevelle. then i tagged my girlfriend.

one of those ice cube "today was a good day" sort of things

SkylineCollapse on
    princess peach is a cockteasing bitch
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    "tagged your girlfriend"?

really?

CrackedLens on
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    At my high school prom there were rumours going around that I was going to get "jumped" and I shouldn't "show my face there" because it would "get broken."

So naturally I went and nothing happened.

The end of sixth form ball was terrible because the organisers just basically had a massive circlejerk and gave each other awards, paid a guy in our year something like £300 to connect his laptop to the venue's PA system and played overly-loud trance "mixed together" using the WinAmp crossfader plug-in so we couldn't even talk to each other during dinner. It was pretty bad.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    You tagged your girlfriend? Unless you played a children's game out in a field or spraypainted your girlfriend, I think I'll need to reference urbandictionary on this one.

Joon on
    bartsig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008

really?
    he is actually the guy from the marc ecko game

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

really?

Spraypainted her right in the cooch. Marked his territory with his gang sign.

But racing through a city is a pretty retarded move. Congratulations on putting the general public at risk because you want to wave your wang around.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    In retrospect, our prom had pretty good music.

The endcap was AC/DC's "Shook You All Night Long".

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    nice

CrackedLens on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    In retrospect, our prom had pretty good music.

The endcap was AC/DC's "Shook You All Night Long".

Ours was "Some popular trance artist" with "Loud, repetitive shit that makes your ears bleed."

:^:

SporkAndrew on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    who was it that had a song about being pregnant at their graduation

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    our endcap was chasing cars by snow patrol

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I have no idea what the final song was at any of the dances that I went to. I recall that the song that got every single girl on the floor and every guy to sit down was the Macarena.

Joon on
    bartsig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    i have no idea what our last song was

fuck, you know what?

it was probably Garth Brook's "The Dance"

*facepalm

CrackedLens on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Joon wrote: »
    I have no idea what the final song was at any of the dances that I went to. I recall that the song that got every single girl on the floor and every guy to sit down was the Macarena.

It's funny, I went to, like, every middle school dance except for one in like 5th grade. (Middle school being, of course, the only time hte Macarena ever approached being cool.)

I guess in HS it finally hit me that "wallflower" is not a term of endearment and avoided them until my senior prom.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

really?

But racing through a city is a pretty retarded move. Congratulations on putting the general public at risk because you want to wave your wang around.

Closest I've ever been to racing in a city was in a corona vs a sentra

the guys in the other car got pulled over for going through a red light at 75 in a 70k zone. Best thing was that the light was orange when they went through.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I drove a 1992 Buick Park Avenue in high school.

Needless to say, racing was not on the agenda.
    Comfortable, though!

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    StrayDogStrayDog Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

When that song came on at my prom, me and my friends were like "fuck this" and started dancing our own dance. Soon we got the entire room dancing to the macarena without doing the macarena. I consider it a personal victory.

StrayDog on
    Let me go down in the mud, where the rivers all run dry.
  • Options
    SkylineCollapseSkylineCollapse Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

really?

ya rly

and racing through the city was pretty stupid, i'll admit, but i'll be damned if it wasn't fun. these are the things stupid teenagers do.

SkylineCollapse on
    princess peach is a cockteasing bitch
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    whippy has a park ave

the vent on the passenger side spews a constant fount of searingly hot air

Shorty on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    L|ama wrote: »

really?

Closest I've ever been to racing in a city was in a corona vs a sentra

the guys in the other car got pulled over for going through a red light at 75 in a 70k zone. Best thing was that the light was orange when they went through.

the closest ive ever come to racing in a city was against my buddy in his cop car

he works night shift and will watch for me on my way to work at 3:30am, if he catches me, he's usually a dick and makes me get out and do the drunk test

CrackedLens on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    ASimPerson wrote: »

It's funny, I went to, like, every middle school dance except for one in like 5th grade. (Middle school being, of course, the only time hte Macarena ever approached being cool.)

I guess in HS it finally hit me that "wallflower" is not a term of endearment and avoided them until my senior prom.

I only dance when drunk, which makes a great excuse for being terrible.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Shorty wrote: »
    whippy has a park ave

the vent on the passenger side spews a constant fount of searingly hot air

Yeah, it still has that good old American quality.

In mine, once you hit about 65-70 MPH the steering column would start to vibrate. Somewhat disconcerting. Also, the suspension was probably shot, which enhanced its boat-like qualities.

I was still sad to hear my parents got rid of it like 8 months ago, though.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    God every single one of my fucking high school dances I went to, even my ex's prom this year (she goes to a different high school) they played goddamn Stairway to Heaven.

Every Dance. I was indifferent to it at best outside of these events, but having them play it as the capping song at every event made me develope a loathing for it. And to leave the event early saving me from having to deal with traffic.

CptKemzik on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    CptKemzik wrote: »
    God every single one of my fucking high school dances I went to, even my ex's prom this year (she goes to a different high school) they played goddamn Stairway to Heaven.

See, by going to only one I avoided this! Sometimes it pays to be a loser!
    Also, I wasn't jaded with Stairway throughout most of HS so I probably would've thought it was cool :|

ASimPerson on