As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ultimate Spider-Thread!

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited August 2009
    darunia106 wrote: »
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    What should we call the new thread title? Since I have no creativity, how about "Ultimate Comics Thread"?

You could add something after it like the general hatred of Jeph Loeb.

no you couldn't

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ultimate Comics - Like 616, only ultimatier

Hensler on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hensler wrote: »
    Ultimate Comics - Like 616, only ultimatier

I vote this

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    darunia106 wrote: »
    What should we call the new thread title? Since I have no creativity, how about "Ultimate Comics Thread"?

You could add something after it like the general hatred of Jeph Loeb.

no you couldn't

Sorry, realized after the post that it sounds too whiny. Was just trying to be relevant. Please don't take my idea.

I'm with the above suggestion though.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2009

Ultimate Comics Thread is fine and better than these "creative" suggestions.

Not everything has to be clever!

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Keith wrote: »

If you feel that strongly about it, then maybe you should start the thread.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2009
    Keith wrote: »

If you feel that strongly about it, then maybe you should start the thread.

I am the man behind the curtain.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Do we really need a new thread though? This one has 19 pages left on it.

Oh and to stay on topic, is it true that Millar has never written Spider-man in the Ultimate universe?

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Do we really need a new thread though? This one has 19 pages left on it.

Oh and to stay on topic, is it true that Millar has never written Spider-man in the Ultimate universe?

Do you mean like, in USM or in anything? Because USM has had Bendis the entire run. It's pretty much hands-off to everyone else.

And, when you compare USM to UXM and UFF, you can see why that has been such a blessing.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    hey now, UFF wasn't that bad aside from suffering from a couple of really terrible artists

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I meant in any Ultimates title Millar wrote. I'm curious as to how it would sound since he and Bendis have such different writing styles.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Balefuego wrote: »
    hey now, UFF wasn't that bad aside from suffering from a couple of really terrible artists

I stopped reading after a while. Didn't they suffer from revolving writer syndrome too?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    UFF had Mike Carey as a writer for the whole last half of the series sans the Ultimatum issues. The first half did have a lot of writers though. Bendis, Ellis, and Millar I think.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Sentry wrote: »

I stopped reading after a while. Didn't they suffer from revolving writer syndrome too?

Nah the writing teams were pretty rock solid most of the way through.

#1-6 : Bendis and Millar
    # 7-18: Ellis
    # 19-20: Mike Carey
    # 21-32: Millar
    # 33-57: Mike Carey

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I withdraw my objection. I need to go back and finish up UFF.

OUt of curiosity... does anyone know when USM first met the Lizard? I have every trade, but in those, the first time he see's Conners they already have a relationship.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The big problems were the fact that the 2nd Millar run was drawn by Greg Land and while Mike Carey's run got off to a beautiful start with Pasquel Ferry, he eventually ended up with Top Cow reject Tyler Kirkham

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sentry wrote: »
    I withdraw my objection. I need to go back and finish up UFF.

OUt of curiosity... does anyone know when USM first met the Lizard? I have every trade, but in those, the first time he see's Conners they already have a relationship.

Ultimate Marvel Team-Up

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The big problems were the fact that the 2nd Millar run was drawn by Greg Land and while Mike Carey's run got off to a beautiful start with Pasquel Ferry, he eventually ended up with Top Cow reject Tyler Kirkham

By around the middle of the Millar run UFF was pretty awful.

Was Carey the one that had like, Ultimate Agatha Harkness and a group of evil hydras that used fusion to lay eggs and each could turn into seven people because hydras have a lot of heads?

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Was Carey the one that had like, Ultimate Agatha Harkness and a group of evil hydras that used fusion to lay eggs and each could turn into seven people because hydras have a lot of heads?

He did the Ultimate Thanos stuff, which I enjoyed, but I dropped it shortly after.

KVW on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    KVW wrote: »

He did the Ultimate Thanos stuff, which I enjoyed, but I dropped it shortly after.

I really liked the Ultimate Thanos stuff, that was just a really neat sci-fi story and made the team seem like real sci-fi heroes instead of superheroes who use science. That was my thought on it at least thinking back on reading it.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I liked the Ultimate Thanos stuff as well. In fact I thought all of Carey's UFF run ranged from good to great.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It was a good story.

All of Carey's stuff was good, really. Even with Kirkham as an artist.

It was that last Hydra arc where it turned to crap in the last two issues, as if Carey was in no meetings regarding Ultimatum and the end of the Ultimate Universe, and had to wrap it up in some weak ending and put Reed and Sue back together by arc's end.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yeah that Hydra arc did seem to have a rushed ending.

I am interested in how the whole Johnny Storm/Dormammu thing resolved itself so I'll skim through UFF Requiem on Wednesday.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    BraintrustBraintrust Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    wirehead26 wrote: View Post

Penultimate Spider-Man

Braintrust on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    OK so apparently both the UFF and UXM Requiem stories are now only one-shots instead of two parters. I guess Marvel wants to be rid of the Ultimatum connection right away which is a smart move. I skimmed through both and I thought the X-men one was pretty bad but the FF one was surprisingly good. Joe Pokaski really gets the characters and I hope Marvel gives him an Ultimate Comics Fantastic Four mini or ongoing down the road.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Can you spoil them?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    This is all from memory but I'll try my best. I'll focus more on the UFF one since I liked it more.
    The X-men one was just Kitty stealing Wolverines severed hand from SHIELD and a funeral scene. For some reason all the bodies were out in the open and not even in caskets. All the sudden Mystique, Sabertooth, and some fucked up new character, who we've never seen before and I can't remember the name, shows up and a fight scene ensues that is ended by Captain America of all people. Needless to say I thought it was pretty awful.

The FF one on the other hand was very good I thought. Started with the initial flood from Ultimatum and recapped some scenes from the UFF Ultimatum tie-in issues. Anyway somehow Johnny ends up being in Dormammu's pendent and Sue and Ben show up and defeat him, freeing Johnny in the process. After that the really good stuff happens as some very well written reflection scenes play out. We see Reed talking to Ben about Doom's involvement which led to Ben going to Latveria and murdering Doom. I know must people hated that but I didn't mind it for some reason. Pretty much everyone goes their separate ways at the end with Ben joining SHIELD the most notable big change.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    Blingston HughesBlingston Hughes Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I kinda like that. Discontinuing the UFF series, but for a reason. Still think Ben's actions were way out of character though.

Any idea how old these guys are supposed to be? Up until recently, I could see Ben and Kong over in USM hanging out.

Blingston Hughes on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    They have to still be in their teens.

And yeah, that does seem like a good place to leave things. Also, with Johnny showing up in Spider-Man, I'm sure the rest of the cast will pop up sometime.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Blingston HughesBlingston Hughes Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Plus it leaves more opportunities for character meshing. The Ultimate Universe felt very segregated - this is a good way to have characters mingle, like Ben and Kong, via Nick Fury.

Blingston Hughes on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Actually the UFF Requiem issue does flesh out Ben's actions in Ultimatum #5 much more. As for it being OOC for Ben, I don't know, for some reason I can see Ultimate Ben going down that path where I could never see 616 Ben go.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    In UFF, it was said several times that Reed was 21, but Loeb made him a teen again in Ultimatum.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Actually I think the age screw-up with Reed began in the Bendis written Ultimate Power issues.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Pretty sure Ben graduated from college and was backpacking around the country at the start of UFF. Johnny is Pete/Kitty/Kong's age. Actually he might be a year or more older than them.

Edit:
    Actually bothered to go find the first trade. Book starts "21 years ago" with the birth of Reed and "Now" is the Negative Zone experiment. So Ben is probably 21+ though it doesn't say anything about what he'd been doing while Reed was at the Baxter Building. He just shows up with a hiking backpack and I went ahead and made the assumption.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Ultimate Comics Spider-man #1 preview.

Looks good, although again Bendis overuses the term "Oh My God" way too much. It is nice seeing the cops not shot at Peter for once.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm doing it.

I'm jumping in. Setting up my heavy ink account for subs right now until I can go direct through Marvel.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So uh... (regarding preview for Ultimate Comics Spidey #1)
    That is Ultimate Red Hood is it not?

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Red Hood is a DC character Drakeon

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'm assuming it's Ultimate Mysterio.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I actually liked the X-Men requiem better than FF. In fact, I didn't think the UFF one made any sense. Johnny gets eaten by the statue of liberty and then ends up in fire-country? Wha?

SatanIsMyMotor on