As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Zonkytonkman - Obituary

Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Social Entropy++
I see that the thread has very quickly, and not surprisingly, reached critical mass. I hope people don't mind me opening a new thread, but I figured I'd share the obituary that just appeared in the paper back home - I know some people were talking about flowers or donations . . .
COADY, Joseph Raymond — Passed away suddenly on Saturday June 28 in a motorcycle accident in Vancouver, Joseph Raymond Coady, age 26, of St. John’s. Predeceased by twin brother Andrew at birth, Poppy Coady and Nanny Shortall. Beloved son of Steve and Tish, and brother to Christina. Grandson of Betty Coady, Paddy and Florence Shortall. Also leaving to mourn uncles and aunts: Pat & Siobhan Coady, Paula & Denis Yon, Al Coady & Paula Azzuolo, Kim & Rob Whelan, Marilyn Shortall & Wayne Tilley, Ann Shortall, Michelle & Pat Dunn, Ian & Judy Shortall, David & Debbie Shortall, and Leslie Shortall; Cousins: Brook, Stephanie, Laurie, Steven, Michael, Peter, Joseph, Isabel, Patrick, Matthew, Jennifer, Jasmin, Jillian, Sidney, Jake, Dawson & Conor as well as a large circle of relatives. Joe will also be missed by his many, many friends. Resting at Caul’s Funeral Home, LeMarchant Road. Visitation and funeral time to be announced. Flowers gratefully accepted or donations in his memory may be made to the Janeway Children’s Hospital. Please visit www.cauls.ca to sign the online memorial guestbook.
“Life must be lived as play” — Plato

Andrew_Jay on

• Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    i have been sitting here wondering about taking a bereavement day because yet again i have woken up and bawled

turns out the 'bereavement code' for work does not apply to the situation. did you know there's actually a code? that it has to be taken within 3 days of the death and has to be an immediate family member. joe was like family.

ugh. this didn't help.

mully on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    mully wrote: »
    i have been sitting here wondering about taking a bereavement day because yet again i have woken up and bawled

turns out the 'bereavement code' for work does not apply to the situation. did you know there's actually a code? that it has to be taken within 3 days of the death and has to be an immediate family member. joe was like family.

ugh. this didn't help.
    what if you claim he's your baby's daddy?

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Also, thanks for posting the obit

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2008
    That is the most horsecrock bereavement policy I have ever heard of.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    it sucks, but I can understand that if it were looser some employees would be claiming a new friend died every couple of months

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    robothero wrote: »
    That is the most horsecrock bereavement policy I have ever heard of.
    That's pretty much par for the course, as far as I know.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Druhim wrote: »
    it sucks, but I can understand that if it were looser some employees would be claiming a new friend died every couple of months

Also that doesn't mean an understanding manager wouldn't be willing to cut someone some slack over a close friend being recently departed.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2008
    I feel moderately lucky then, I just checked our policy, it's similar but we have a bit more leeway.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    im sorry whats this all about

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Air wrote: »
    you mean the bereavement policy? or Zonky's obit?

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I got all bummed out and overwhelmed with thoughts of my own mortality when I read this

If I tell anyone I know in real life I'm bummed out because an awesome guy on the internet died, I'll probably get laughed at

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Air wrote: »
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=62435

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited July 2008
    God the obit makes it hit you all over again.

It is kind of nice to see how much family he had. I mean no one can say the dude wasn't well-loved to the end.

Still leaves a pit in your stomach but it helps a little to think about just how much gusto he approached life with, and how much of that seemed to come back around to him.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You wanna hear a shitty bereavement deal?

Most airlines have bereavement discounts you can get on flights. We were trying to book a flight for me to fly home for my grandpa's funeral. He died on I think a Friday night and my mom called and I dropped everything to start making arrangements. I was leaving on Sunday and would get back on Wednesday. When we tried to get my bereavement discount on my ticket, I was told that you only get it if you are staying over on a Saturday.

"You have to pay full price, your grandpa died on the wrong day."

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Jordyn wrote: »

Most airlines have bereavement discounts you can get on flights. We were trying to book a flight for me to fly home for my grandpa's funeral. He died on I think a Friday night and my mom called and I dropped everything to start making arrangements. I was leaving on Sunday and would get back on Wednesday. When we tried to get my bereavement discount on my ticket, I was told that you only get it if you are staying over on a Saturday.

Man, that is pretty awful

I feel like they only talk about their bereavement deal to promote their image while simultaneously giving it to nobody

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    god that's fucked up Jordyn
    did you check with other airlines on their policy?

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I used to work at Daktronics, a company that makes giant video screens for stadiums. I was a student employee, which basically meant I only worked half time during school, didn't get paid as much, did the exact same work, and didn't get any benefits.

So when my mom died, I didn't get any paid time off at all. Between that and the shitty pay, I had to go back to work after she died, and then drive back home again a couple days later for the funeral.

That's Daktronics, ladies and gentlemen. In Brookings, SD.

Framling on
    you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Options
    gazamcgazamc Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Framling wrote: »
    I used to work at Daktronics, a company that makes giant video screens for stadiums. I was a student employee, which basically meant I only worked half time during school, didn't get paid as much, did the exact same work, and didn't get any benefits.

So when my mom died, I didn't get any paid time off at all. Between that and the shitty pay, I had to go back to work after she died, and then drive back home again a couple days later for the funeral.

That's Daktronics, ladies and gentlemen. In Brookings, SD.

Jesus. It must have been tough not to tell them where they could shove their giant screens.

gazamc on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2008
    oh christ, if this doesn't hit like a blow to the chest

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Jordyn wrote: »

Not that the bereavement discount is all that good, anyway. When my grandmother died, it was gonna be over $1000 for me to fly from Rochester, NY to the Bay Area and back.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Maan I barely knew him but I miss Zonk. He was good people, and I'm learning that even moreso with all the stories people are telling.

The best way to remember him is through stories, either his personal ones or one about him.

Rest in peace, you kinky motherfucker.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    SephSeph Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ugh that obit the OP posted sounds so removed. It's just a bunch of name dropping, it doesn't say anything about the person. I say these threads are far better ob's

i say obs because it sounds less gothic

Seph on
    doit.png
  • Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Exactly what I was thinking.

Also, fucking twin brother?

naporeon on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    naporeon wrote: »

I know

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I think there is quite a high mortality rate for twins at birth, at least for one of the twins.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2008
    Seph wrote: »
    Ugh that obit the OP posted sounds so removed. It's just a bunch of name dropping, it doesn't say anything about the person. I say these threads are far better ob's

That's what obituaries are. Essentially, a listing of family survivors and those who have passed before him.

I used to format obituaries, years ago, when I worked at the newspaper. Strange things you have to do, like you never say "died". You say "passed away". Sometimes they'd have all sorts of strange euphamisms for "died". "Went to meet his Heavenly Father", "Was called by the Lord", shit like that, and it was my job to be the guy that said "No they didn't, they passed away."

God I hated that job.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    OdinOdin Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh damn, I've been away for a few days and now I come back to learn such awful news

I'm going to miss Zonky, I really liked his stories

Odin on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Joe will also be missed by his many, many friends.

Including a sizeable chunk of the internet.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

That's what obituaries are. Essentially, a listing of family survivors and those who have passed before him.

I used to format obituaries, years ago, when I worked at the newspaper. Strange things you have to do, like you never say "died". You say "passed away". Sometimes they'd have all sorts of strange euphamisms for "died". "Went to meet his Heavenly Father", "Was called by the Lord", shit like that, and it was my job to be the guy that said "No they didn't, they passed away."

God I hated that job.

dang that job would make you cold
    did it erode your shadowy soul with its nether blackness, rank

Seph on
    doit.png
  • Options
    Captain CthulhuCaptain Cthulhu Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    naporeon wrote: »

Yeah that kind of blew my mind a little.

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

God I hated that job.

dang that job would make you cold
    did it erode your shadowy soul with its nether blackness, rank
    nah, I've always been like this.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

God I hated that job.

Yeah your average joe doesn't get the full page deal with all reflections on one's life. That sort of thing is reserved for people with a certain level of name recognition.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    do people in china have a term similar to average joe

Seph on
    doit.png
  • Options
    OmegaTofuNinjaOmegaTofuNinja Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    avelage joe

OmegaTofuNinja on
    Facebook Wii: 7912 0299 8667 6601 I tweet sometimes Poetry?!
  • Options
    sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited July 2008
    avelage joe

bravo

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    zonky died?

what the hell people dont die unless they are old or you never heard of them

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    OmegaTofuNinjaOmegaTofuNinja Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I saw the opportunity and I fucking leaped at it

OmegaTofuNinja on
    Facebook Wii: 7912 0299 8667 6601 I tweet sometimes Poetry?!
  • Options
    DadouwDadouw Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Fandyien wrote: »
    I got all bummed out and overwhelmed with thoughts of my own mortality when I read this

If I tell anyone I know in real life I'm bummed out because an awesome guy on the internet died, I'll probably get laughed at

Yeah same here

Dadouw on
  • Options
    I Am Not A BearI Am Not A Bear Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My brother looked over my shoulder as I was reading the obituary and asked what it was about. I told him the brief summary of what had occured.

"Did you know him?"

"No, just someone who posted on the same forum. Apparently, he was good friends with people on it."

"Oh. Shit. Crazy how people can get so close thanks to the internet. It's really surreal. That sucks he died, though."

Then I was like "Yea." and punched him in the balls.

I Am Not A Bear on
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My brother looked over my shoulder as I was reading the obituary and asked what it was about. I told him the brief summary of what had occured.

"Did you know him?"

"No, just someone who posted on the same forum. Apparently, he was good friends with people on it."

"Oh. Shit. Crazy how people can get so close thanks to the internet. It's really surreal. That sucks he died, though."

Then I was like "Yea." and punched him in the balls.

Joe would appreciate that.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg