As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo embraces failure. Miyamoto smoking too much wiid.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Javen wrote: »
    Stale wrote: »
    E3 is not as powerful as it once was, and never will be again.

In no more than three years PAX will be the governing body in gaming media and press

not that this isn't common knowledge anyway, but you can quote me on that.

I see how PAX is the convention where gamers can meet and talk about all this stuff

but I can't see all the news and stuff moving away from E3

I mean no disrespect to PAX but PAX seems to be about us first, while E3 and such is pretty much for the media to announce to us so we can get excited and talk about how big our boners for x project are

It is my opinion that unless Gabe and Tycho take very active steps in preventing this from happening, that it will be very much out of their control.

Shit last year PAX was the first actual instance of Halo 3 being playable ever to the general public

and as far as I'm concerned that's only going to escalate unless very real precautions are taken to prevent exactly this

whether these precautions are warranted (or even wanted) I couldn't say.

That's just Bungie being very active with their community, and like I said, PAX was for the gamers.

E3 is still going to be where all the big announcements are made.

I mean companies aren't just going to show up at PAX with playable builds of all their unannounced games

yeah, it's not going to get out of their control

they can very much tell pretty much any developer or publisher that they cannot appear

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

In no more than three years PAX will be the governing body in gaming media and press

I see how PAX is the convention where gamers can meet and talk about all this stuff

I mean no disrespect to PAX but PAX seems to be about us first, while E3 and such is pretty much for the media to announce to us so we can get excited and talk about how big our boners for x project are

It is my opinion that unless Gabe and Tycho take very active steps in preventing this from happening, that it will be very much out of their control.

Shit last year PAX was the first actual instance of Halo 3 being playable ever to the general public

and as far as I'm concerned that's only going to escalate unless very real precautions are taken to prevent exactly this

That's just Bungie being very active with their community, and like I said, PAX was for the gamers.

I mean companies aren't just going to show up at PAX with playable builds of all their unannounced games

I never said now

like I said, three years.

If this is not true by then, feel free to call me out.

Javen on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2008
    nah, e3 is dead

pax is totally where it will be happening, for a lot of reasons

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    JC of DI wrote: »
    G4 and IGN are both showing live video I'm pretty sure.

I can catch some of the earlier ones, and I know there will be blog posts and highlight-videos of press conferences all over the place. I would just prefer to get home from work and watch the full conferences I missed before I even glance at any news sites.

I don't mind just seeing highlights

the speeches typically tend to be given by businessmen, and are generally very boring to watch

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I'm not saying that PAX can't or won't replace E3

I'm just saying there won't be any scenario where it is suddenly ripped from Gabe and Tycho's hands

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

yeah, it's not going to get out of their control

they can very much tell pretty much any developer or publisher that they cannot appear

And when is the last time they've done so?

Granted PAX has not catered to the larger companies, but they have also not spurned these same publishers. I could rattle off tons of major developers that had huge appearances at the latest PAX.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I'm not saying that PAX can't or won't replace E3

I'm just saying there won't be any scenario where it is suddenly ripped from Gabe and Tycho's hands

I'm not saying that, either.

And it is my own opinion that it would not necessarily be a bad thing if PAX were to become to new "gaming news" convention, so long as the community is kept in the forefront.

all I'm saying is that given the trends of recent years, the tide is naturally turning to the way of PAX becoming the new ruling body of gaming news, and it would require a substantial amount of conscious effort on the part of gabe/tycho/khoo to prevent this natural occurance from taking place.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make

edit: okay

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm not saying that PAX isn't going to grow, it definitely is. Gabe and Tycho have created a wonderful thing, and it can only be good for the gaming community.

But this year, at this point in time, all sorts of shit is going to go down at E3.

I just honestly cannot see PAX being used as a vehicle to announce a new console or something. Not as soon as 3 years from now, anyway.

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I'm not saying that PAX isn't going to grow, it definitely is. Gabe and Tycho have created a wonderful thing, and it can only be good for the gaming community.

But this year, at this point in time, all sorts of shit is going to go down at E3.

I just honestly cannot see PAX being used as a vehicle to announce a new console or something. Not as soon as 3 years from now, anyway.

PAX has roughly doubled in attendance every year since its inception.

three years is not an unreasonable window.

Javen on
  • Options
    FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Huh, E3 starts on my birthday.

Feriluce on
    XBox Live= LordFeriluce
    Steam: Feriluce
    Battle.net: Feriluce#1995
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    RE: Nintendo

The pattern that's developed pretty much since the N64 days was that Nintendo had their core series (Mario, Zelda, Pokemon etc.), that mostly kept the system afloat. Third party titles make waves sometimes, but even then you rarely see the ones you want return. Some new items or character or a general change wouldn't be bad. The Wind Waker was great because a lot of things were changed (not just the graphics). I'd like to see more of that, like playing as an evil trainer in a Pokemon game or being able to destroy space stations and stuff in Star Fox.

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    doublehawk00doublehawk00 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    actually last pax halo 3 was not playable and the public beta (which anyone willing to purchase crackdown was able to get into) took place 3 months earlier

but yes PAX will probably experience at least one company trying to make a huge announcement at it

doublehawk00 on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Meissnerd wrote: »
    RE: Nintendo

The pattern that's developed pretty much since the N64 days was that Nintendo had their core series (Mario, Zelda, Pokemon etc.), that mostly kept the system afloat. Third party titles make waves sometimes, but even then you rarely see the ones you want return. Some new items or character or a general change wouldn't be bad. The Wind Waker was great because a lot of things were changed (not just the graphics). I'd like to see more of that, like playing as an evil trainer in a Pokemon game or being able to destroy space stations and stuff in Star Fox.

Yes. That's why I loved Wind Waker so much, because it felt like such a different game. Pokemon always keeps it pretty fresh, because of new pokemon and places. Nintendo just needs to shake it up a little bit.

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Pokemon is even starting to age, I think. It just seems like a waste of the smart people they have at Nintendo that they're satisfied with using the same kind of game mechanics in all of their games.

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, Nintendo seriously needs some brand-new franchises. I realize that Mario, Zelda, Kirby, and all of their classic characters still rake in the dough but argh

Moriveth on
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Captain Rainbow mothherfuckers

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    man I don't even know

captain rainbow?

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Yeah, Nintendo seriously needs some brand-new franchises. I realize that Mario, Zelda, Kirby, and all of their classic characters still rake in the dough but argh

This is how I feel with Blizzard. Yes Warcraft, Starcraft, and Diablo are good. But there are other things out there to make.

I played Lost Vikings quite a bit as a kid. Not so sure I actually have any fun with it anymore but it was a good game!

Of course I am really looking forward to Starcraft 2 and uh.. I should look up more stuff about Diablo 3 because I have only seen screenshots and a bit of video and it looks like a diablo clone.. (I am sure I will find that they changed things up enough to make it a fresh experience.. I hope)

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    At least Blizzard is only on their second and third iterations of those series. I think they still have a lot of gas yet but it almost feels like Nintendo is scraping by (idea wise, certainly not profit wise).

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    did you guys hear? Flagship studios fired everyone and closed.

I'm sorry Bill Roper, but you have to admit, you fucked up bad with Hellgate, and while Mythos looked interesting, it only did so as a diablo spiritual sequel, and was instantly deemed irrelevant when diablo 3 was announced.

maybe if he asks nicely, Blizzard will let him back in?

Faricazy on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Sure you can come back....as the janitor.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Dudes I am so excited it is not even funny

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Halo Announcement and Too Human + other assorted demos please.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    okay here is my rundown of stuff I have prepared:

Alarm Clock: Set To 12:45 (eazt coazt yo)
    Laptop: Charged
    Joystiq E3 Splash Page: Bookmarked
    Joystiq LIVE Coverage of Microsoft Keynote Page: Bookmarked
    Utz Saltless Potato Chips: Delicious

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    man my plans for tomorrow are pretty much just this dude I know is maybe gonna come over if he can and maybe we will do stuff

maybe watch a movie or play a video game

probably go for a walk and get some sun at some point because we have been trying to do that more

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    man my plans for tomorrow are pretty much just this dude I know is maybe gonna come over if he can and maybe we will do stuff

maybe watch a movie or play a video game

probably go for a walk and get some sun at some point because we have been trying to do that more

Have fun on your date. You'll miss all the awesome E3 stuff.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    so has anyone figured out why the governor of texas is speaking at e3 yet

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    The death penalty.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    he doesn't know how to beat four leaf clover either

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    Shifty FisterShifty Fister Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    zing

not a hard mission, jeeze.

Shifty Fister on
  • Options
    Agent VesagoAgent Vesago Half Iago. Half Fu Manchu. All Bastard. Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I used to get pretty jazzed about E3.

These days, not so much.

Agent Vesago on
    Clowns.jpg
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    more like

egay

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I don't know, I still kinda like it.

Mainly I just like to see the conferences that the big companies put on as it is good to see what their plans are in the short term future.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I have so many tabs open

3 of them are Joystiq

one is Gamestop's countdown to live coverage

and one is the forums

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I have the G4 one open cause I know this one is streaming all of the conferences not just the ones of Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I will be chizzity-checkin' that one too

for Bungie conference maybe

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It's my birthday today, woo.