As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

All things HD

2»

• Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    mcp wrote: »
    I'm going to get a HD tv in the next month or so.

I think it's going to be this one.

The reviews I've read have been good. Anyone here have any experiences with this one?
    seems overpriced for the size.. why don't you get the 50" for $100 more?? (it's a plasma though)

but, the 52" is the same price (on sale) (LCD)

jwalk on
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    jwalk wrote: »
    mcp wrote: »
    I'm going to get a HD tv in the next month or so.

I think it's going to be this one.

The reviews I've read have been good. Anyone here have any experiences with this one?
    seems overpriced for the size.. why don't you get the 50" for $100 more??

or shit, the 52" is the same price (on sale)
    I don't really want to go any bigger than 40 or 42, and that's a plasma.

mcp on
  • Options
    MonkeybombMonkeybomb Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    jwalk wrote: »
    Monkeybomb wrote: »
    Anyone have one of those frame-correcting 120 Hz TV's?

I watched like 30 minutes of Cars one time in Circuit City on one of those. It was weird.
    Yeah, the Sony A3000 SXRD. But on "normal" mode you don't even notice it, and you can turn it off if you want. It really helps a lot on 24fps material (films), but admittedly on the "high" setting it gives everything this creepy hyper-real look... like it's computer generated or something.

Also gotta turn it off for video games since it introduces some lag.

Otherwise I love the TV, best looking TV ever made pretty much, shame they discontinued them.

Gotta say "Three Sheets" is the fucking bomb. I love that show. Although "Mojo" used to be better when it was "InHD" and there was 2 channels, with the INHD2 showing movies almost 24/7 (uncut, uncensored movies).

Universal HD (UHD) is decent, they show uncensored movies, though it was better before they added commercials.. they used to show full-length feature movies uncut...

Something about Three Sheets makes it great for when I come home from work and want to think about anything else besides work and just feel like I'm at home being comfortable.

Maybe the fact that I feel obligated to have a beer with it. I wonder how many people actually seriously have drinking parties while watching it, because really, I just have fun watching it for what it is.

I don't know if I could do Zane's job. Rather, I'd be dead before season one ended.

Monkeybomb on
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Triplemonkeybom
    monkeysig-1.jpg
  • Options
    babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Anyone know of a good tv for gaming? I have an LG 50" Plasma that's not bad but it has some pretty brutal lag.

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • Options
    IshbuIshbu Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hey, does anyone know if the new Xbox 360 Netflix thing is going to have movies in 1080p? Because if so...

Ishbu on
    Play my game and serve beer to angry dwarves: The Tavern
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I would get something larger than you "think" you need as long as you have space (and budget) for it. But the 40" is ok, I still think it's overpriced, unless you really value 120hz that much. Personally I'd trade it for another 10-12" in size in a heartbeat. I mean it's nice but nothing you can't live without, especially on the faster LCDs today (4ms).

jwalk on
  • Options
    MonkeybombMonkeybomb Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    One other thing about that John Adams miniseries:

had one of the most stirring title sequences I've seen on television

I'm not normally super patriotic or anything, but something about that sequence just got me right here

I'm pointing to my torso, or gut if you will

Monkeybomb on
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Triplemonkeybom
    monkeysig-1.jpg
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    bongi wrote: »
    top gear would be pretty awesome in HD

I'm not sure the world is ready for May and Clarkson in HD.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Monkeybomb wrote: »
    Something about Three Sheets makes it great for when I come home from work and want to think about anything else besides work and just feel like I'm at home being comfortable.

Maybe the fact that I feel obligated to have a beer with it. I wonder how many people actually seriously have drinking parties while watching it, because really, I just have fun watching it for what it is.

I don't know if I could do Zane's job. Rather, I'd be dead before season one ended.
    from wiki, the Three Sheets drinking game:
    Drinking game rules
    The show also doubles as a drinking game, introduced in the Croatia episode. The rules are as follows:
    Rule 1: When Zane drinks, you drink.
    Rule 2: The first person to spot Pleepleus the monkey, makes someone else drink.
    Rule 3: When Zane mentions his friend, Steve McKenna, everyone drinks.
    Rule 4: When Zane or anyone burps, the last person to give the "Good Burp" sign (thumb on your forehead, pinky in the air) drinks.
    Rule 5: If you "Jim-The-Cop" (spill your beer while drinking, or chugging) you have to buy someone a drink. If you're watching at home, or a friend's house, make a run to the fridge.
    Rule 6: (New Rule for Season Three) If you ever spot Zane holding a drink improperly you can make someone drink. Here are the proper positions:

"Type of Drinks"
    FOO FOO DRINK This would be a drink that masks the taste of alcohol with the taste of sugar. They are sweet, blended, brightly colored, or have an umbrella in them. In this case, Zane's pinky should be up in the air.

MAN-GRIP DRINK This is a general drink, like a Beer, Jack & Coke, Vodka Cranberry, where the the sweetness doesn't hide the taste of alcohol. In this case, all of Zanes fingers should be in contact with the glass.

GENTLEMAN'S DRINK (The Frank Sinatra). This is a straight-up spirit, like Bourbon, Scotch, Tequila, or anything else that it not cut (except by water, vermouth, or club soda). All fingers should be on the glass except for the index finger-- It should be pointing out with confidence.

ALSO: http://www.zanecrawl.com/
    (expensive though..)

The Moscow episode was amazing (and the season ender).

jwalk on