As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wii] Core Games AOC - After October Conference - Games? GAMES!! [56k GTFO]

• Options
    ArceusArceus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Dareth Ram wrote: »
    There's nothing to get over.

I hated Sunshine and 64, but Galaxy is amazing and you're a bad person.
    It's your problem that you can't accept that not everybody likes the stuff you like. Must be really frustrating for you. It's a fact of life though, that hopefully one day you will be able to accept.

Arceus on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited July 2008
    I promise you, I won't be losing much sleep over whether Opium tries Galaxy or not. ;)

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Then quit being such a whiny little bitch about it. It's annoying and pointless.

Arceus on
  • Options
    richard nogginrichard noggin Registered User new member
    edited July 2008
    Arceus wrote: »
    Then quit being such a whiny little bitch about it. It's annoying and pointless.

pot <--> kettle

richard noggin on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Arceus wrote: »
    oh shut up. Welcome to hyperbole. get used to it.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I been workin on my Luigi playthrough of Galaxy lately. The game is pure awesome. They must have had an excess of awesome after they failed to put any into Sunshine.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Well, it was a totally new team that made this one.

I think the fresh eyes really helped.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    That does look fantastic.

But isn't it like a Harvest Moon-style kinda game? D:

It is - but aside from just harvesting crops and the like as usual Harvest Moon games go, you'll also be going to dungeons to capture monsters, mine minerals and continue the storyline.

It's basically a Harvest Moon game set in fantasy medieval times with RPG elements - in other words, it's a fucking blast.

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited July 2008
    Dareth Ram wrote: »
    I promise you, I won't be losing much sleep over whether Opium tries Galaxy or not. ;)
    I already tried it. Didn't like it. Just like I didn't like 64 and Sunshine. The genre is not for everybody. Get over it.

Opium on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    HYPERBOLE. I don't actually care. You communists.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    All that bitching over some semantics.
    Listen, the point is that not everyone likes every game.

But openly declaring you don't like Galaxy should land you in jail.

Djiem on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    I liked Galaxy.

I would have enjoyed it several times more so if each world were more open. Yeah, you can get a few stars out of order, but that's not always the case, and some worlds got a bit repetitive.

Otherwise, it was fun.

Sheep on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Sheep wrote: »
    I liked Galaxy.

I would have enjoyed it several times more so if each world were more open. Yeah, you can get a few stars out of order, but that's not always the case, and some worlds got a bit repetitive.

Otherwise, it was fun.
    Yeah, I hated how very few secrets there were to the world. Doing everything in the game is as simple as going forward where you obviously need to go, particularly with the hub world. Remember the Yoshi shenanigans and various secrets in the other 3D Marios? I really missed them. Plus, the visual side of things wasn't really as impressive-for-the-time as the other games. That's the Wii's fault and not the game's, but nonetheless hurt the general impact of the game for me.

Darlan on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I like Galaxy but it doesn't feel as impressive as Super Mario 64 did when I first played that, because doesn't feel as new.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Well duh.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I wasn't much of a gamer when Mario 64 came out, so I don't have the disadvantage of being disappointed when something doesn't satisfy that "It doesn't feel like the first time" feeling.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I like Galaxy but it doesn't feel as impressive as Super Mario 64 did when I first played that, because doesn't feel as new.

Because you went from 2D to 3D. With Galaxy, you're just getting prettier 3D.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Darlan wrote: »
    Sheep wrote: »
    I liked Galaxy.

Otherwise, it was fun.
    Yeah, I hated how very few secrets there were to the world. Doing everything in the game is as simple as going forward where you obviously need to go, particularly with the hub world. Remember the Yoshi shenanigans and various secrets in the other 3D Marios? I really missed them. Plus, the visual side of things wasn't really as impressive-for-the-time as the other games. That's the Wii's fault and not the game's, but nonetheless hurt the general impact of the game for me.

There are loads of secrets in Mario Galaxy. Most of them aren't star-related, but there are lots of hidden little planets and pipes and things.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    So, there will apparantly be a Red Steel 2, and it will use the MotionPlus.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=202351
    Make of this what you will.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It's UBI - they'll find a way to screw it up as usual.

I mean, the tech's already there - aiming system and real-time control adjustments from Conduit, sword fighting tech from Wii Sword Fighting demo.

They'll still screw it up in the end though.

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »

I'm about as interested in it as I was the original Red Steel.

Which means I'll briefly consider it and then completely forget about it.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    t9781h_th.jpg 16h3sk_th.jpg

2cxvyut_th.jpg w6xj01_th.jpg 2qvyujs_th.jpg

2d96982_th.jpg 29vnmm1_th.jpg 9sqj3q_th.jpg w8438x_th.jpg

2ynm8lv_th.jpg 317d2ko_th.jpg 16jrqf6_th.jpg 6srxo9_th.jpg

nx6jp4_th.jpg 20f5bb4_th.jpg qxqxvl_th.jpg r0c9pe_th.jpg

35jvy0z_th.jpg 2lo16vp_th.jpg ztc8sx_th.jpg 2upp6y1_th.jpg

2i75q4p_th.jpg 2ahikn8_th.jpg sb632x_th.jpg 9tjr6s_th.jpg

mystuff mystuff

mystuff mystuff mystuff

Fragile post is fragile.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Getting really, really interested by now.
    I hope there's a decent exploration element, not just a linear path. That looks like the kind of world worth roaming in.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    It has kind of a Majora's Mask-y vibe, going by those screens. Which is the best kind of vibe you can get in a video game, really. Is it a straight up RPG or more of an adventure?

Arceus on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm such a sucker for exploring desolate landscapes in games. I just wish the semi-chibi oddly dressed main character didn't stick out so badly from the landscapes. Also, I hope the game doesn't suck becuase I'll buy it anyway just because they're even attempting that feeling of isolation. So don't fuck it up, guys.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    RPG/adventure hybrid, if my memory serves me right.
    Possibly with survival aspects.
    No horror.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Looks heavy on atmosphere, though.

Sheep on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    awesome

Fragile post is fragile.

added to the OP.

also, new tenchu IV trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONEHHuuxOuU

Guek on
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited July 2008
    The Moon is thought to play a large role in the game.

See? I told you it was like MM!

Opium on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Opium wrote: »
    The Moon is thought to play a large role in the game.

See? I told you it was like MM!
    Awesome. Like Zelda, I hope it's light on the PRG and heavy on the adventure.

Arceus on
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Attention: Blast Works is currently on clearance at Best Buy for $9.99. Most locations should have stacks of them.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Attention: Blast Works is currently on clearance at Best Buy for $9.99. Most locations should have stacks of them.

That sounds fantastic, actually. Shooter with design-your-own-levels-and-share-them-with-friends?

Darian on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »

I have hope for this, from the sounds of that article Ubi knows they shouldn't have rushed the first one. Plus, perhaps Motion Plus will really deliver with the sword-play. All Red Steel needed was copious amounts of polish, hopefully it's sequel will get just that.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Darian wrote: »

That sounds fantastic, actually. Shooter with design-your-own-levels-and-share-them-with-friends?
    And plus, a 10% off at BB expires today, so if you buy it today, you'd come out at just less than $10

http://emailinfo.bestbuy.com/P/v3/CouponWrapper.asp?E=10997;543534;1438180897;1;02&R=T1_CPN_50558&A=1007&ci=50558

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Blast Works is definitely worth $10. Can't believe it's on clearance already.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Blast Works is definitely worth $10. Can't believe it's on clearance already.

I can. To say nothing about the quality of the game.

Renzo on
  • Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This MotionPlus thing looks promising, I need a NMH2 with this bad boy.

I can dream, can't I?

http://wii.ign.com/dor/articles/895294/wii-motion-plus-and-livemove-2/videos/LiveMove2_demo_video_073008.html

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    That video points out exactly all the strengths and weaknesses I suspected the Motion Plus had. When the guy gets a little over-zealous with the sword, the calibration goes off by 40 degrees or more. When he has the thing standing stationary in front of him, you can see the yaw rotation axis start to drift (though the others did not significantly) over the course of 15 to 20 seconds. In the section where he does an elongated gesture 1:1 mapped, things get less and less accurate toward the end. At all other times, he was recalibrating every few seconds.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Anyone have any idea how well Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon is selling? If you haven't heard of it, it's a very forgiving and fairly easy roguelike (no permadeath, hunger is an afterthought, only problem with dying is losing all unequipped items, no out-of-depth monsters, etc). I've played through the main story and it's very entertaining if you can get past the annoying voice acting and animation that goes along with the speech. It's not outstanding, but it's a very good game that's made me a lot more interested in roguelikes.

pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Anything remotely roguelike pretty much has to bomb.

Dr Mario Kart on