As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Because the last shaman thread was stupid.

• Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Tarantio wrote: »
    You've got 10% extra int to help with spell crits

I'm not sure how Int will affect spell crit. As I said, I was playing my buddy's Shammy on the Beta Server, and his Melee crit is 21.45%, and his spell crit is exactly the same, so... I don't know. Not sure how INT factors into that.

Intellect (INT)
    # Increases Mana.
    # Increases your chance to score a critical hit with spells.
    # Increase your pet's Intellect.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/basics/characters.html

Tarantio on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I'm not sure how Int will affect spell crit. As I said, I was playing my buddy's Shammy on the Beta Server, and his Melee crit is 21.45%, and his spell crit is exactly the same, so... I don't know. Not sure how INT factors into that.

Intellect (INT)
    # Increases Mana.

Yeah, I've actually played the game before. I know how it works. But, currently, on beta, the shammy's Spell Crit and Melee Crit are exactly the same, which is pretty weird, all things considered.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Intellect (INT)
    # Increases Mana.

Yeah, I've actually played the game before. I know how it works. But, currently, on beta, the shammy's Spell Crit and Melee Crit are exactly the same, which is pretty weird, all things considered.

Well duh. In WotLK, Int gives melee crit, too.

reVerse on
  • Options
    ScroffusScroffus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    reVerse wrote: »

Intellect (INT)
    # Increases Mana.

Source? (Or Sarcasm?)

Scroffus on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Scroffus wrote: »

Intellect (INT)
    # Increases Mana.

Source? (Or Sarcasm?)

Well it's just logical.

Everyone knows that Crit Rating gives both spell and physical (melee and ranged) crit in WotLK. However, since Shaman have a lot of Agility on their gear as opposed to only having Crit Rating, this should lead to Shaman having more physical crit than spell crit. But, since beta Shaman have exact same spell crit and physical crit, it must mean that Agility also gives spell crit. And if Intellect gave only spell crit, Shaman would have higher spell crit than physical crit, but since they don't, it's reasonable to conclude that Intellect gives physical crit aswell.

Basically,

if Crit Rating = spell crit and physical crit
    but Agility = only physical crit
    then = physical crit higher than spell crit

if Crit Rating = spell crit and physical crit
    and Agility = spell crit and physical crit
    but Intellect = only spell crit
    then = spell crit higher than physical crit

But if Crit Rating = spell crit and physical crit
    and Agility = spell crit and physical crit
    and Intellect = spell crit and physical crit
    then = spell crit is the same as physical crit

reVerse on
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    That is most definitely not how it works.

Int only affects spell crit.

Agi only affects melee crit.

Talents only affect whatever they specify they do. If a talent says, "increases your chance to crit with your weapon attacks, it doesn't affect spell crit.

Only the ratings are universal.

For the record, my shaman has 11.38% spell crit and 22.67% melee crit on the beta servers.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    LineNoizLineNoiz Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm pretty sure its:

Crit rating = spell crit and physical crit
    Intellect = crit rating
    Agility = crit rating

Of course, this sounds like a bug. I wonder if this carries over to other classes... I'll give it a test tonight when I get home.

Edit: Or someone is full of shit.

LineNoiz on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Well, I was just going by the guy saying that his buddy's Shaman has an equal amount of spell crit and melee crit, and also assuming that he's wearing proper Enhancement (or Elemental) gear rather than some strange mishmash. If he's incorrect (or wearing strange mishmash gear) then my "formula" is obviously incorrect.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Well, I was just going by the guy saying that his buddy's Shaman has an equal amount of spell crit and melee crit, and also assuming that he's wearing proper Enhancement (or Elemental) gear rather than some strange mishmash. If he's incorrect (or wearing strange mishmash gear) then my "formula" is obviously incorrect.

Yeah, I'm starting to wonder if I just thought I had changed the tab to "Spells" from "Melee" in the character sheet. The more I think about it, the more unsure I am. I sent him a text to log in and check, but he's probably still sleeping, even though it's 2:30 PM where he is. :|

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    hey, any info on shaman glyphs?

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Shaman glyphs:
    * Glyph - Water Shield 01 (Shaman) (Class: Shaman) - Your Water Shield has 3 additional charges.
    * Glyph - Chain Heal 01 (Shaman) (Class: Shaman) - Your Chain Heal heals 1 additional target.
    * Glyph - Lesser Healing Wave 01 (Shaman) (Class: Shaman) - Your Lesser Healing Wave heals for 20% more if the target is also affected by your Earth Shield.
    * Glyph - Earthliving Weapon 01 (Shaman) (Class: Shaman) - Increases the chance for your Earthliving weapon to trigger by 5%.
    * Glyph - Healing Wave 01 (Shaman) (Class: Shaman) - Your Healing Wave also heals you for 20% of the healing effect when you heal someone else.
    * Glyph - Mana Tide 01 (Shaman) (Class: Shaman) - Your Mana Tide Totem grants an additional 1% of each target's maximum mana each time it pulses.
    * Glyph - Earth Shock 01 (Shaman) (Class: Shaman) - Reduces the global cooldown triggered by your Earth Shock ability by 1 sec.
    * Glyph - Frost Shock 01 (Shaman) (Class: Shaman) - Increases the duration of your Frost Shock by 2 sec.
    * Glyph - Strength of Earth 01 (Shaman) (Class: Shaman) - Your Strength of Earth Totem also grants 1% melee and ranged critical strike chance.
    * Glyph - Windfury Weapon 01 (Shaman) (Class: Shaman) - The attack power bonus on the additional attacks granted by Windfury Weapon is increased by 40%.
    * Glyph - Stormstrike 01 (Shaman) (Class: Shaman) - Increases the nature damage bonus from your Stormstrike ability by an additional 8%.
    * Glyph - Flame Shock 01 (Shaman) (Class: Shaman) - Increases the range on your Flame Shock ability by 10 yards.
    * Glyph - Lighnting Shield 01 (Shaman) (Class: Shaman) - Increases the damage from Lightning Shield by 20%.
    * Glyph - Chain Lightning 01 (Shaman) (Class: Shaman) - Your Chain Lightning strikes 1 additional target.
    * Glyph - Fire Nova Totem 01 (Shaman) (Class: Shaman) - Increases the radius of Fire Nova Totem's effect by 2 yards.
    * Glyph - Flametongue Weapon 01 (Shaman) (Class: Shaman) - Increases spell critical strike chance by 2% while Flametongue Weapon is active.
    * Glyph - Totem of Wrath 01 (Shaman) (Class: Shaman) - Your Totem of Wrath also grants 1% spell haste.
    * Glyph - Lightning Bolt 01 (Shaman) (Class: Shaman) - Reduces the cost of your Lightning Bolt ability by -10%.
    * Glyph - Earth Elemental Totem 01 (Shaman) (Class: Shaman) - Reduces the cooldown of your Earth Elemental Totem by 3 min.
    * Glyph - Fire Elemental Totem 01 (Shaman) (Class: Shaman) - Reduces the cooldown of your Fire Elemental Totem by 3 min.
    * Glyph - Healing Stream Totem 01 (Shaman) (Class: Shaman) - Your Healing Stream Totem heals for an additional 20%.

reVerse on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    * Glyph - Earth Shock 01 (Shaman) (Class: Shaman) - Reduces the global cooldown triggered by your Earth Shock ability by 1 sec.
    So the "no GCD for Earth Shock" is implemented by this?

* Glyph - Windfury Weapon 01 (Shaman) (Class: Shaman) - The attack power bonus on the additional attacks granted by Windfury Weapon is increased by 40%

Damn, does this stack with the windfury weapon talent?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    So, which totem is better? The heroic token enhancement totem or this one?
    I am guessing the heroic one

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So, which totem is better? The heroic token enhancement totem or this one?
    I am guessing the heroic one

I believe you are correct.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Stonebreaker's Totem? That thing is the shit.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    After playing every healer class to about 25, I've decided to stick with Shaman - in Enhancement, when you finish Flurry, what should be taken with those next 10 points before dual wield?

Also, is there a way to macro a sequential dropping of totems other than /castsequence?

With castsequence I have to press the button thrice, it'd be nice if I could just press it once.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Jasconius wrote: »
    After playing every healer class to about 25, I've decided to stick with Shaman - in Enhancement, when you finish Flurry, what should be taken with those next 10 points before dual wield?

I'd go with Spirit Weapons -> Elemental Weapons -> 1 point in Improved Weapon Totems -> Weapon Mastery -> Dual Wield.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    There was this shaman in eye of the storm yesterday, with a huge two-hander. he was killing people left and right, it was grotesque. how vialble are they for PVP? Or do you basically need people with < 100 resil?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Is a 2.4 speed weapon too fast?
    edit: OH, using a 2.6 in the MH

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    2.4 isn't too fast, but of course the slower the better. Personally, I feel that 2.3-ish starts to be too fast. This isn't based on theorycrafting or anything, I just see the number 2.3 and go "yeah, that's too fast". 2.4 and up doesn't cause similar reaction.

And twohander PvP is kinda sorta viable. A Windfury proc on a big stinkin' twohander is gonna hurt no matter how much resilience you've got, and if that thing crits, dear god are you in a world of hurt. However, the drawback is that you can't afford to miss even one auto attack because that auto attack you missed just might've procced Windfury, and a long streak of no Windfury procs completely destroys your damage output.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    you can't afford to miss even one auto attack

It's a joke to cap hit for PvP. 5% hit chance is the cap, and you get 3% from the talent in the Resto tree. 2% hit from gear is nothing.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

It's a joke to cap hit for PvP. 5% hit chance is the cap, and you get 3% from the talent in the Resto tree. 2% hit from gear is nothing.

Well I was also thinking about enemies dodging your attacks, or even parrying them if they're capable of it.

I just don't think that 2H Enhancement is viable for PvP. It's probably fun when you get those big WF crits on a clothie, but other than that, DW was implemented for a reason.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Well I was also thinking about enemies dodging your attacks, or even parrying them if they're capable of it.

I just don't think that 2H Enhancement is viable for BGs. It's probably fun when you get those big WF crits on a clothie, but other than that, DW was implemented for a reason.

Well, DW was implemented for PvE as well. You are correct though, DW > 2h for PvE and PvP. Enhancement with a 2h weapon has no place in the World... of Warcraft.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    KagnarosKagnaros Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    What I always wanted to try was go DW Enhancement, but have a 2H Weapon to switch to when I procced Flurry, just to see if I could blow someone up quite quickly. But meh, after grinding out my Elemental S2 set, I'm in no mood to grind out another set.

Kagnaros on
    fss.png
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Blah, wrong thread.

Cade on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Shabutie wrote: »
    What I always wanted to try was go DW Enhancement, but have a 2H Weapon to switch to when I procced Flurry, just to see if I could blow someone up quite quickly. But meh, after grinding out my Elemental S2 set, I'm in no mood to grind out another set.

Isn't there a 3s delay when you switch weapons in combat, or something similar?

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I go back and forth between DW and 2H for pvp all the time. DW is a lot more consistent but oh man those WF procs/crits just wreck people's shit. Those times when WF doesn't proc though....feel like I'm hitting people with a nerf stick.

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I go back-and-forth between DW and using a shield. I certainly live longer while being focused.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I always have a shield for flag-carrying :p

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Wee finally, Shard of Contempt
    Edit: A question: Does this have any use in PVP, as second trinket besides the insignia?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Arggghhh I hate you.

And yes, it reduces a player's chance to dodge/parry, as well. Just a bit harder (impossible) to cap.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    So, this looks like a fine level 80 enhancement build, no? Missing Enhancing Totems though..
    But 3.0 brings the new talents with 10 points missing, what would be a good level 70 3.0 enhancement build?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    So, this looks like a fine level 80 enhancement build, no?

Not if you plan on raiding. No Enhancing Totems, no Imp. WF? Not to sound like some sort of elitist snob, but there's no way we'd bring you along on a raid without those two things. Like a survival hunter with no Expose Weakness. :(

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    it's mostly a farming build for heroic 5mans, yes

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Personally I'd take Enhancing Totems and Imp WF Totems over Call of Lame and Improved Shields any day.

Actually, the two former only require five points whereas the two latter take up six points, so you'd still have one point to put into whichever crappy latter talents you want.

reVerse on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Also, get rid of Static Shock, you want to have water shield up anyhow. If you don't plan to PvP with that build you can stand to get rid of Imp. GW and ST.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I plan to PVP :P

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    This looks a little better for PvP, I think. The healing talents are extremely useful for getting out of a jam.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The Toughness bonus seems totally fucking useless with Spectral Transformation.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
This discussion has been closed.