As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Best Buy to supplant the ESRB?

LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Games and Technology
This is pretty crazy news. So, iv you hop on over to Best Buy, you'll see that three DS games have been rerated by the big box retailer. Final Fantasy IV, Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2, and Myst have all been rated Mature by Best Buy.

This is a strange move, to be certain, and unprecedented. Especially since the ESRB ratings for those three games are nowhere near M. FFIV and Myst are rated E, and Trauma Center has a T rating.

There's no word on whether or not this is just a mistake or an intentional act on the part of Best Buy. If you look at Best Buy's site, all three games have had their box art photoshopped to give the M rating. If it is intentional, the fireworks from the ESRB come tomorrow will be really interesting.

LibrarianThorne on

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It's already been changed.

metaghost on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Probably just a mistake.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    An AngelAn Angel __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    Wasn't a mistake, no one just purposefully changes ESRB ratings like that.

Best Buy was fucking ruthless.

An Angel on
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I always thought those ESRB ratings and rating logo graphics were trademarks, and that you had to obtain permission from the ESRB to apply them. I believe this is why games can't say "we believe we are rated T" and self-rate and not seek input from the ESRB -- they are not allowed to use the ESRB's trademarks yet.

Do you have any links to photographs of these re-rated game boxes?

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah the bestbuy website checks out fine on the ratings

slash000 on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    slash000 wrote: »
    Yeah the bestbuy website checks out fine on the ratings

I just looked too out of curiosity and those games have the correct ratings on their site.

Peewi on
  • Options
    Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This is pretty crazy news. So, iv you hop on over to Best Buy, you'll see that three DS games have been rerated by the big box retailer. Final Fantasy IV, Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2, and Myst have all been rated Mature by Best Buy.

So you've already went to a B&M Best Buy store and saw the games rated "M" with with your very own eye on the shelf?

Seems like a printed mistake on the ads, happens a lot.

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Pajama_Man wrote: »

So you've already went to a B&M Best Buy store and saw the games rated "M" with with your very own eye on the shelf?

Seems like a printed mistake on the ads, happens a lot.

My copy of Starcraft says M on the cover.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    MarvellousMMarvellousM United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I just asked my wife to pinch me. Yes, I am awake. Yes, this thread actually exists.

MarvellousM on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

It was rerated.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It does seem like this is much ado about nothing, but I went to the source article (culled from Joystiq, who got this from MGSOLID) and got this image:

bestbuymatureadqq5.jpg

Which is apparently from today's Best Buy flyer. Does anyone have a physical copy they can confirm with?

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

It was rerated.

I can't decide if I want to be gullible or stupid

how do I choose

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I checked the ads and they DO say M. Big whoop?

Monsty on
  • Options
    JastJast Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Best Buy supplanting the ESRB, sounds awesome! I hope this is true, because then we can have ratings wars!

Jast on
    Jast39.png
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I think people are looking into this a bit too much.

I seriously don't think BB is trying to "supplant" the ESRB..

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This is a good thing, as I only buy mature rated games, for mature gamers such as myself.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It does seem like this is much ado about nothing, but I went to the source article (culled from Joystiq, who got this from MGSOLID) and got this image:

bestbuymatureadqq5.jpg

Which is apparently from today's Best Buy flyer. Does anyone have a physical copy they can confirm with?

If you look at the Weekly Ad on their website it shows an M, but I suspect that the problem is some one gave them a incorrect version of the box art.

khain on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited July 2008
    how can Best Buy supplant the ESRB with the ESRB's OWN rating system?

Seriously, use your brains.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Maybe, for some reason, they didn't get the ratings and decided to go high as that would cause less problems than going low.

*Cue mysterious music*

Let's deeply analyze this in all of its excruciating minutia.

Monsty on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Best Buy, in my experience, was never good about their DS selection to begin with. They pretty much carry things that are rated E and, if lucky, some T rated games. I'm shocked that they're carrying Trauma Center 2 and Myst at all.

Henroid on
  • Options
    kriegskriegs Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Man, you should work for Fox News, LibrarianThorne.

kriegs on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This thread is fucking retarded.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    Looks like someone just made an oops with the ESRB ratings (I think on their side, they may only have the box art, since they are a multinational company, and the rating for the site/ads is applied when the ads are constructed).

Otherwise you can't use the ESRB rating system unless they let you, it's trademarked. Much like how that's why the gaming industry doesn't use the G/PG/PG-13/R system, that's trademarked by the MPAA.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ZercofZercof Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    No physical copy (had one at work) but w/e. I'm not planning on getting/playing any of them, so I don't really care.. idk :?

Zercof on
    Zercof.png
This discussion has been closed.